As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Doctor Who] Calling it now, River Song is Mrs. Claus

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    He is pretty silly, especially in the first episode

I think he also does a really good job of acting like someone who's super old and just looks very young, though

Although he's probably my favorite Doctor in New Who, so I'm biased

• Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    The crossover periods can get weird. Like right after the first regeneration, Two looks in a mirror and sees One's face.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Tennant's actually my least favorite of the modern Doctors.

That's not to say that he's bad, as he's actually quite good. I just like the other two better.

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    He just seems a little too too

He's like tennant but even sillier

He'll establish his own identity pretty quick, and does become more serious

although that silliness never quite goes away fully.

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    He just seems a little too too

He's like tennant but even sillier

He'll establish his own identity pretty quick, and does become more serious

although that silliness never quite goes away fully.

Ten's anger was always either righteous or blusterous or both.

Eleven's anger could be downright cruel.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    to be clear I think Tennant still had a blast making the show but his stated reason was that he was getting older and nobody wanted David Tennant doddering around on screen forgetting his lines

of course he's still a young dude but everyone wants to do something different sometimes

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    With popular characters, the longer the actor spends in the role, the harder it is to shed that image when trying to move on. Leaving early was probably at least in part an attempt to not end up as simply "The Doctor" for the rest of his career. As far as his success in that, on the one hand, it's helpful to have someone else come in and take over the character to help audiences move on, but on the other hand, the Internet still seems pretty attached.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    That might be the case, but you could say that Tom Baker left for exactly the same reason, and it didnt work then either. He basically just resigned himself to the fact later on but it was why he wasnt in the 5 doctors. he wanted to be done with the roll and not typecast. too late it seems.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    DurkhanusDurkhanus Commander Registered User regular
    I found Matt Smith difficult to get into, but my opinion much improved once we get to The Impossible Astronaut.

• Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    Matt Smith was immediately The Doctor for me, in a way that Tennant wasn't

The exact moment Tennant became The Doctor was when he said "Physics!" to a room full of children

• Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    Quoth wrote: »
    Matt Smith was immediately The Doctor for me, in a way that Tennant wasn't

The exact moment Tennant became The Doctor was when he said "Physics!" to a room full of children
    the worst

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Quoth wrote: »
    No u

Quoth makes a compelling argument.

• Options
    Man if only Anthony Stewart Head could have just played the Master

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    What episode does he shout physics to a roomful of children because I have forgotten and that sounds great.

• Options
    The school one with Anthony Stewart Head as the alien

• Options
    What episode does he shout physics to a roomful of children because I have forgotten and that sounds great.

Class reunion. The one with Sarah Jane Smith

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Class Reunion is one of my favorite episodes of Doctor Who

It's not the best episode but I enjoy watching it a whole lot

• Options
    It's got K-9 in it and David Tennant being excited as hell about K-9

I think that alone is a compelling argument for it being the best episode of Doctor Who

• Options
    I think one of my favorite lines is tennant spending an episode talking about how he hates funny robots because it's demeaning and the dude is like yeah my friend had one that acted like a dog can you believe it

And tennant is like

Well... Dogs...that's different isn't it.

• Options
    azith28 wrote: »
    That might be the case, but you could say that Tom Baker left for exactly the same reason, and it didnt work then either. He basically just resigned himself to the fact later on but it was why he wasnt in the 5 doctors. he wanted to be done with the roll and not typecast. too late it seems.

Apparently that was one of the reasons Davison left when he did. He asked Troughton for advice, and Troughton said three years.

Davison did have a massive advantage over Tom Baker in that he was a known and widely recognised actor beforehand, though, so he didn't get immediately typecast.

I mean

Tom Baker was working at a construction site when he was offered the role

Davison pretty much came straight from being 'that vet everyone loves'

• Options
    Which is the entire extent of my knowledge of anything from All Creatures Great and Small

It involves animals and vets

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Cyvros wrote: »
    Which is the entire extent of my knowledge of anything from All Creatures Great and Small

Isn't it based on those books by that RAF veteran guy?

• Options
    Lost CanuckLost Canuck World's Greatest Escape Artist Doctor Vundabar's Murder MachineRegistered User regular
    All Creatures Great and Small is a really good show and Peter Davison is really great as Tristan Farnon.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vmu3wLL3S5o

QYW8SHm.jpg
    Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-4012-4821-3053
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Cyvros wrote: »

Isn't it based on those books by that RAF veteran guy?

Wikipedia tells me yes.
    46nK77a.jpg

Cyvros on
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    It's got K-9 in it and David Tennant being excited as hell about K-9

I think that alone is a compelling argument for it being the best episode of Doctor Who

And it has David Tennant almost crying when he meets Sarah Jane Smith!

That first exchange hits me in the heart every time I watch it.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Class reunion holds a special place in the hearts of old series whovians because of sarah and k-9....dispite the so very very stupid solution that the aliens were somehow going to explode if the oil they secreet touches their own skin. So how exactly are they stuffing it into barrels without it coming out and touching them?

Best episodes list of new who however will include girl in the fireplace and blink...unless your a weeping angel.

azith28 on
  • Options
    ok i'm up to victory of the daleks and I like smith much more now. i like that he's just kind of mean and cranky like an old man? like he's not a smarmy dick he's actually just kind of mean spirited to a certain extent.

Also I guess Moffat really liked that one justice league episode and thought i'll do that but instead it will be world war 2

• Options
    which JL ep was that

• Options
    edited April 2014
    There's one where Luthor goes legit, and superman refuses to accept it. So when Luthor is opening this humanitarian thing Superman is completely certain that it's an evil trick, so he wrecks it and goes kind of nuts.

And the thing turns out to have been completely benign, so superman looks like a doof, which was of course lex's plan in the first place which allows him to further his evil interests. Which in victory of the daleks the plan was to get the Doctor to go crazy and force him to acknowledge who they were.

It's not a copy or anything but it just recently came up in the superhero thread and I watched it again so it was fresh in my mind.

Langly on
  • Options
    Oh yeah was that the one where Captain Marvel walks in and shames them all

• Options
    Ok this is a pretty good two parter and angel bob is pretty great

• Options
    I think I like that two-parter about on par with Blink itself, maybe a little more because there is other stuff going on and it's all legit good

• Options
    The two-parter is also better because there's no lines like "Sad is happy for deep people"

• Options
    Oh hey vampires

• Options
    Oh ugly vampires got some angler fish face goin on

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    I absolutely like that two parter better than Blink.

I mean yeah, it lacks Carey Mulligan but it's also within the Amy Pond honeymoon phase (I'm talking me and Amy not the Doctor and Amy). Plus is has Ser Jorah PLUS the callback to it in the finale is one of my favorite Who bits ever.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    It's a tough call between Carey Mulligan and Iain Glen being all stoic and dreamy

Uh I mean

• Options
    That episode I was all oh hey newspaper guy from downton abbey

• Options
    rory you are not very good at much things

This discussion has been closed.