As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The brand [GNU/Linux / Alternate OS] thread: Steam finally confirmed

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    I don't mind the constant package upgrading, or replacement. I do mind the shit where I've got to go in and manually do a bunch of shit ("hey guys, we've decided to move all the binaries to /usr/bin/") or when they replace the entire init-engine. Still don't like systemctl and journalctl (I especially hate the damn journaling system).

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Rolling releases essentially mean there is no named or numbered releases, and it's just constantly in a state of flux? I would assume that standard release distros (#!, Ubuntu) only do updates to software and security features between major releases?

I really like the idea of building from the ground up in Arch, but the idea that doing an update can break all of my hard work is less appealing.

Anybody know when the next stable Debian release is supposed to hit? I will be interested to see what gets in #!.

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    oldmanken wrote: »
    Crunchbang or Archbang?

Crunch is no longer based on Ubuntu but on Debian, right?

What about one of the Red Hat derivatives? What's Fedoras rep?

I run Fedora 20 on my work and home laptop. So far I haven't had any issues with system stability beyond nvidia drivers, and that's always a hassle no matter what distro you're on. I think Fedora has a rep for being somewhat out-of-date on updating package versions, but it hasn't affected any of my work so far if true. It has KDE, LXDE, XFCE, and Gnome variants, and of course you can always install Cinnamon or something post-install.

• Options
    Hmmm... Manjaro looks pretty interesting, though Arch based and prone to all the 'issues' discussed above.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    I'm considering just installing Debian. Why #! when I can go straight to the source? Especially since I'm not a huge fan of Openbox* anyway.

*I have nothing against Openbox and used it for a long time in my youth, but these days I tend to gravitate towards XFCE.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Base Debian has a wider selection of packages to choose from as well. Probably not a bad idea...

Or what about OpenSUSE? (I know nothing about it, just throwing things out there)

oldmanken on
  • Options
    My first thought was "Man, is OpenSuse still around? I don't think I've heard that name since Mandrake was hot shit."

Looked it up, they released 13.1 last November. Huh.
    Mandriva seems to have "died" in 2011, but it's forks are still alive. OpenMandriva had a release in 2013, and Mageia just last February.

But as someone who always installed apt4rpm in every rpm-based distro I tried... I guess early Red Hat releases conditioned me to hate rpms. I remember rpm-hell very, very well...

• Options
    I looked at OpenSUSE, but then realized they default to KDE, and I want nothing to do with that bloated mess.

There are way too many distros to choose from...

• Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    You don't need to check the mailing list, the homepage has notices for big updates. The move to systemd for new installations was announced in October, the end of initscript support was announced in November, and the final sysvinit deprecation announcement was in February.

It's not like they suddenly upended the tea table.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    You don't need to check the mailing list, the homepage has notices for big updates. The move to systemd for new installations was announced in October, the end of initscript support was announced in November, and the final sysvinit deprecation announcement was in February.

Indeed they did not.

The switch itself was just sucky, because I dislike what they switched to. Despite reading the conversations on "why systemd is better" no one has managed to convince me. Largely because when they made the switch, logging-to-file mostly disappeared into the æther. It has gotten better as packages figured out how to play nice with systemd, but it was still awfully frustrating.

• Options
    Barrakketh wrote: »

1. No one naturally goes to the home page of a Linux Distro just to see what's up; they go to grab the ISO when they want to install, and never look again. You have to train yourself to periodically check; at that point, might as well sign up for the mailing list.
    2. It'd still be a more natural mechanism to simply warn when the upgrade is attempted, rather than mid-upgrade.

But, like I said, Arch user for years. I get the philosophy; it's just not what I'm looking for anymore.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    is there a widely accepted linux plugin to help deal with laptop battery life?

my battery lasts only about 50% as long under linux as Windows 8.1, even when the screen brightness cranked down

• Options
    Jasconius wrote: »

my battery lasts only about 50% as long under linux as Windows 8.1, even when the screen brightness cranked down

What distro are you using?

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    also, make sue you have proprietary graphics drivers for your laptop installed.

• Options
    Jasconius wrote: »

What distro are you using?

I think he's using Mint.

If you have optimus on your laptop, bumblebee is the way to go.

• Options
    Yeah, bumblebee was the first thing I have attempted to install with all my distro experimenting. Have it working just fine on Xubuntu, and had it working on Mint previously.

Steam and Football Manager installed and running without much issue...

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i have the radeon proprietary drivers installed on mint (they come standard)

although right now Mint seems to be using the Intel GPU 100% of the time. i'll address that later

• Options
    The intel GPU is probably less power hungry than the radeon, so you may have to look at other options in any case... maybe something like this?

• Options
    A couple Monday morning thoughts and musings.

So, I use twitter a lot, and have been exploring desktop options on Linux. Haven't really found anything I like, mostly because I would love to have a client that seamlessly snapped to the desktop edge and could hide and unhide. Nothing I have seen quite fits that bill.

In any case, that got me thinking about sidebar functionality, and potentially starting a programming project. Though I haven't used them much, Windows 8 tablets allow you to swipe from the side and have a sidebar menu appear (while shrinking the width of the desktop). Is there anything like that for Linux? If you were to program something along those lines, I am assuming that you would have to make modifications to the base desktop environment or windows manager that you are using?

Just really throwing thoughts out there, and trying to get a handle on how it might work. Would love to be able to have twitter and conky exist within that area.

• Options
    I think I'm finally happy with my desktop.

http://digitalarcanum.net/stuff/DebianVM_Screenshot.png

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    That looks pretty swish.

Which music player are you using? Also, which WM?

I always find that I spend hours and hour prettifying my desktop and adding widgets and then never see it because I always have a browser open and fullscreen.

• Options
    Looks like he might be using Enlightenment as the WM. I tried it but didn't want to invest too much time in getting it set up...

• Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    he's running xfce4-panel at a minimum ;-p

(that doesn't say definitively that xfce is also decorating his windows)

my guess is the system widgetry is probably conky?

I'm a little curious what the music player is too

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Yeah, it's xfce4 using... Dust theme? I'll check when I get home. "Widgets" are conky, music is mpd (also streams to http so I can listen on my phone) with ncmpcpp for terminal playlist control.

*edit* That's not the dust theme. I don't know why i said that. I blame 6am. I'll check when I get home.

Houn on
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    That is a very nice Desktop.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    A tip for those ever having trouble getting Java elements to load on Firefox: I'm using Ubuntu and I've discovered the Midori browser which works pretty well with said Java applets.

Curly_Brace on
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    august on
  • Options
    If I'm installing a LAMP stack for web Dev and testing, do the component parts automatically start at Linux start up, or would it be pretty easy to setup scripts to bring it up and down as I need it?

• Options
    In my experience, on most of the distros I've tried, when you install services like Apache and such they're automatically started and set to start at boot.

• Options
    But you're able to easily disable that, correct? This laptop serves double duty as my gaming/desktop machine and a dev environment, so I see no need to be running a web server when I am not doing coding and testing.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    In my experience, an Apache that's not actively serving content isn't going to be a huge memory/CPU footprint, so you likely don't need to worry about it. But, if you're going to worry over it anyway, yeah, it's easy.

Manual control:
    # service apache2 start/stop

Prevent auto-start on boot:
    # systemctl disable apache2

(Or similar.)

*edit* had the second command backwards...

Houn on
  • Options
    Yes, you can determine whether services start automatically or not, but the commands to do so are probably going to largely depend on your distro.

On Arch, to disable a service from auto-starting, you would do:
    # systemctl disable <daemon-name>

Then, manually stopping and starting it would be done via:
    # systemctl stop <daemon-name>

# systemctl start <daemon-name>

Or, if you just made a config change and you want to immediately stop and then restart the service:
    # systemctl restart <daemon-name>

There's also the "reload" command, but I think that that's reserved for changes you've made to the "unit script" itself.

If you wanted to re-enable a daemon to auto-start you would just:
    # systemctl enable <daemon-name

I can't remember how to do it on Ubuntu/Debian systems anymore. :P

• Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    I can't remember how to do it on Ubuntu/Debian systems anymore. :P
    Debian is switching to systemd, and Ubuntu will also be doing the same (IIRC Ubuntu currently uses Upstart, which is Canonical's home-grown init system).

Assuming current versions of Debian are still using initscripts the commands should be:
    # /etc/init.d/<service> <start|stop|restart|reload|status>

Enabling/disabling a service is:
    # insserv <service>
    # insserv -r <service>

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    The Acer c720 really is a fantastic little linux machine, although there is currently some work you have to do to get everything working right. You can use the Chrubuntu script but no one knows if it will be updated for 14.04 and using it means you'll be giving up about 6 gigs of your flash drive over to ChromeOS, plus on the Acer you still have to fix the suspend manually. Hopefully fixes for the suspend and trackpad will make it into the kernel in the near future.

A totally tiny laptop with a 7 hour battery that can run all the indie games I've kickstarted over the last few years for 200 bucks really is fantastic though. First I need to get through Broken Age, then it's on to Shadowrun.

august on
  • Options
    Need some help.

I just paired my Wii U Pro Controller with my Xubuntu 13.10 install. Recognizes it properly, but it causes some odd cursor behavior. When it's on, if I am using my trackpad, it sometimes jumps back to a 'center'. Anybody have any idea what I should do?

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    USB persistent Linux distros?

Ok people, so my stupid laptop went stupid and I had to reinstall Windows. That being said, the only way I can do Linux from a HDD partition is to remove the backup system on this computer, and getting the CD's from Lenovo was a bitch a half.

So I've got this 32GB stick and looking to run a distro, possibly from RAM (I have 6GB). I don't need anything heavy, I may mess around with KDE or Gnome or whatever a bit and get the theme to my liking, but other than that it's going to be pretty much all development (Either Notepad++ through Wine or Sublime/Geany, I'm not sure yet) and... well... getting the whole Linux thing down.

What are some good, light-ish weight distros that I could do this with? I'm looking for persistence a bit of customization, but I doubt I'll install much outside of Java and PHP libraries, a couple resource light games, possibly LibreOffice (though I may just use Windows for all that stuff).

I've looked into PuppyLinux, ArchLinux, TinyCore, and even a few bigger ones like Debian, Ubuntu, and Linux Mint, and I really am not sure which would be the best suited.

Any suggestions?

• Options
    yotesyotes Registered User regular
    I was quite happy with Puppy Linux, the only problem is that it can be a massive pain to keep your browser and flash up to date. Automatic updates are basically not happening but if you get the latest Slacko release (http://slacko.01micko.com) and you are lucky enough that it works out of the box, you'll be fine. If, however, your first boot dumps you into the console, or worse, just a plain blank screen, that is much less fun. Give it a try.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Alternate to running off a USB, you could always try whatever distro you want in VirtualBox.

• Options
    Anyone who uses Ubuntu (or one of its derivatives), have you upgraded to 14.04? Any issues?

• Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Anyone who uses Ubuntu (or one of its derivatives), have you upgraded to 14.04? Any issues?

I've had some issues updating on my virtual box instances, but in one case I only had to do apt-get update/upgrade and the other I had to do dist-upgrade after do-release-upgrade failed. Those ones were after final beta but before final release.

On my laptop, xubuntu doesn't power the screen back on from suspend, but I worked around that by using gnome-screensaver for now. supposedly xfce4-power-manager is actually to blame (lightlocker/xscreensaver probably let xfce4-power-manager handle it, and gnome-screensaver tries to do everything)

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg