Options

The brand [GNU/Linux / Alternate OS] thread: Steam finally confirmed

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Woot! I've successfully got snapshot backups working with bup.

I think it's time I learned from Gnome Python and implemented a graphical client with inotify for realtime backups.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Might be easier to start with truecrypt rather than boot and nuke.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Might be easier to start with truecrypt rather than boot and nuke.

Why's that?

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Well insofar as anyone knows an appropriately configured truecrypt partition already looks nuked. Provided you have a sufficiently strong encryption key/passphrase in use that is.

The other thing is that it is, in effect, pre-nuked. If someone takes it/whatever there's no lead time to getting it into an unrecoverable state.

But now I realise that I might have misread your question. By which I mean, I know that I did.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Hmm once I get the basics down well I will look into these plugins. Thanks for the tip!

I recommend getting CtrlP (Or Command-T) set up asap. Opening files and switching between files is SO MUCH NICER. Don't even worry that it's not a default thing; I haven't met a Vim user who don't use one of those (or something similar).

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    So linux....

What do you guys think of this SteamOS announcement? Personally the only reason I use windows is games, so it would be nice to drop that.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    So linux....

What do you guys think of this SteamOS announcement? Personally the only reason I use windows is games, so it would be nice to drop that.

SteamOS won't be replacing Windows for gaming anytime soon. The only games that will be playable on it will be games that have a Linux port already (or runs in DOSBox). SteamOS looks like it's just going to be a customized version of Ubuntu (or something along those lines) using a modified BPM as it's DE.

Right now I think Steam's Linux usage is around 1-2% of all users, which is why so few games are getting Linux ports. The hope is that with a widely available distro targeted specifically at gamers this number will climb, which will get more developers interested in Linux. SteamOS will be capable of streaming gameplay from a Windows PC though, which means that technically any game on Steam will be "playable on Linux", even if it means there is a Windows box hiding behind the curtain.

The biggest allure for a SteamOS box (at first, anyway) seems to be leaving your high powered gaming rig in your office or bedroom, and hooking up a cheap Linux box to your bigscreen TV in the living room and streaming gameplay to it. It won't be viable as a dedicated game platform until more developers are onboard.

On the other hand, I would not be surprised if Valve has been courting devs into porting games to Linux for a while now, and that there will be a bunch of new ports announced once SteamOS goes live.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I never use my tv but this may get me to change that if for no other reason than to grow linux gaming.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    So, I started getting all kinds of I/O errors on my little ArchLinux server, and some files couldn't be read, so I figured it was time for an fsck. Gave it a reboot, just because I'm lazy.

This did, in fact, fix the file system errors.

But, despite the fact that I'd already previously set udev rules to ensure my two network interfaces came up with the right names... it swapped them again. Fucking infuriating.

Fuck ArchLinux. I'm done with this distro. Back when I started supporting it, it was all cool and configurable and sane, but it seems that over the years it's been run with more and more elitist, "who gives a shit if updates are going to break everything it's more correct this way, so fuck you" attitude, and I don't need it. I'm done. Once my wife finishes backing shit up, this goose is getting Ubuntu'd.

• Options
    Houn wrote: »
    So, I started getting all kinds of I/O errors on my little ArchLinux server, and some files couldn't be read, so I figured it was time for an fsck. Gave it a reboot, just because I'm lazy.

This did, in fact, fix the file system errors.

But, despite the fact that I'd already previously set udev rules to ensure my two network interfaces came up with the right names... it swapped them again. Fucking infuriating.

Fuck ArchLinux. I'm done with this distro. Back when I started supporting it, it was all cool and configurable and sane, but it seems that over the years it's been run with more and more elitist, "who gives a shit if updates are going to break everything it's more correct this way, so fuck you" attitude, and I don't need it. I'm done. Once my wife finishes backing shit up, this goose is getting Ubuntu'd.

Try Linux Mint. Ubuntu sans Unity is good times.

• Options
    It's a headless server, so I wouldn't be installing a DE anyway, heh. At this point, it's largely just a firewall/router with some harddrives for network storage; I don't do anything else with it. I'd almost prefer to replace it with a NAS, set my wireless router to route the full network and put the firewall rules on it, but a decent NAS ain't cheap.

• Options
    It's a headless server, so I wouldn't be installing a DE anyway, heh. At this point, it's largely just a firewall/router with some harddrives for network storage; I don't do anything else with it. I'd almost prefer to replace it with a NAS, set my wireless router to route the full network and put the firewall rules on it, but a decent NAS ain't cheap.

Oh yeah in that case go Ubuntu server definitely.

• Options
    Grr. More I/O errors. I think that drive might be going; I replaced the SATA cable, and it hasn't coughed again yet, but it's making some pretty nasty clicks on boot. I don't think it's long for this world; luckily, the whole reason I noticed it was because my wife was backing everything off of it already anyway. Everything's backed up now, so if it dies, it dies. No skin off my data.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    How is Arch for a desktop distro?

Also am I the only one that likes Unity?

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    Woot, I think I've discovered why KeePass mono freezes on Cinnamon. Seems to be a race of bad behavior from KeePass, Mono and Cinnamon.

• Options

It used to be fine, but they have always been really shitty about upgrading core packages in a destructive way. If you subscribe to the mailing lists, update regularly, and always follow the work-around instructions to fix behaviors and config that breaks when they make major updates, it's a workable system... but I ain't got time for that shit no mo.

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular

It used to be fine, but they have always been really shitty about upgrading core packages in a destructive way. If you subscribe to the mailing lists, update regularly, and always follow the work-around instructions to fix behaviors and config that breaks when they make major updates, it's a workable system... but I ain't got time for that shit no mo.

This man speaks the troof.

• Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular

Third'd. I'll probably switch back to using it again for a while, but I've found the stability of Slackware very difficult to break away from. It's a distro that's more or less me-proof.

Also, Uselesswarrior, you're not alone. I like Unity alright. I like Gnome Shell better, and it's honestly the biggest draw of Arch to me at the moment... Gnome 3 is fucking damn-near impossible to get working on Slackware apparently. Oh well.

userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    Seeks wrote: »

Third'd. I'll probably switch back to using it again for a while, but I've found the stability of Slackware very difficult to break away from. It's a distro that's more or less me-proof.

Also, Uselesswarrior, you're not alone. I like Unity alright. I like Gnome Shell better, and it's honestly the biggest draw of Arch to me at the moment... Gnome 3 is fucking damn-near impossible to get working on Slackware apparently. Oh well.

All of you should try out Cinnamon from Mint. It's got a nice, no-nonsense UI (i.e. its not trying to get all experimental with new concepts, but internally uses the Gnome 3 tech).

• Options
    Seeks wrote: »

All of you should try out Cinnamon from Mint. It's got a nice, no-nonsense UI (i.e. its not trying to get all experimental with new concepts, but internally uses the Gnome 3 tech).

I've been running Xubuntu on my primary work box for awhile now; xfce has always been a neat, simple DE that does exactly what you'd expect a DE to do.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Installed Cinnamon out of curiosity. Within 15 seconds found that there were no options in the settings to move the panel to the left edge, only top/bottom, and uninstalled it.

*edit* It was also appearing on the "wrong" monitor, and while that could probably be fixed, I didn't want it on the top or bottom anyway so didn't bother.

Conclusion: Cinnamon's not for me.

Houn on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Xfce!

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Umm, my ubuntu won't boot. Can I talk to you guys? If not, who do I talk to?

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    Define "won't boot". What, exactly, is happening?

• Options
    In addition to asking us, it's also worth searching Ask Ubuntu, they've got a lot of stuff already covered.

• Options
    Installed Cinnamon out of curiosity. Within 15 seconds found that there were no options in the settings to move the panel to the left edge, only top/bottom, and uninstalled it.

*edit* It was also appearing on the "wrong" monitor, and while that could probably be fixed, I didn't want it on the top or bottom anyway so didn't bother.

Wrong monitor means you had the wrong primary display set. Top/bottom, well, can't help you at the moment. (does give me an idea for a patch).

• Options

Wrong monitor means you had the wrong primary display set. Top/bottom, well, can't help you at the moment. (does give me an idea for a patch).

Like I said, I was sure there was a fix; but haven't most DEs using the panel paradigm allowed you to just drag the sucker around since, like, the late 90s?

Yeah, maybe someday it'll get there, but right now, it's not for me.

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Define "won't boot". What, exactly, is happening?

Well, instead of going from GRUB to the login screen, it was going to a black screen with a non-blinking cursor. The issue is fixed, I think it was a problem with my video driver (I was using proprietary ATI tech). When I used flgrvx (or whatever) and updated to 13.10, it fixed the problem.

I think it was an incompatibility between the last 13.04 package update and those drivers.

By the way, how essential is a firewall to Linux computing?

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    FredZ89FredZ89 Huehuehueh Registered User regular
    I want to get into Linux, been a few years I'm thinking about it and never really took the time to install it and play with it.

Would this be a good book for starting? amazon.ca/Linux-Pocket-Guide-Daniel-Barrett-ebook/dp/B007JWIAGS/ref=sr_1_4_bnp_1_kin?ie=UTF8&qid=1385647032&sr=8-4&keywords=linux

If you have other recommendations, I'd be thankful.

Currently Playing: MH4U
    My Steam profile
    3DS: 1435-3951-4785
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    FredZ89 wrote: »
    I want to get into Linux, been a few years I'm thinking about it and never really took the time to install it and play with it.

Would this be a good book for starting? amazon.ca/Linux-Pocket-Guide-Daniel-Barrett-ebook/dp/B007JWIAGS/ref=sr_1_4_bnp_1_kin?ie=UTF8&qid=1385647032&sr=8-4&keywords=linux

If you have other recommendations, I'd be thankful.

How far into Linux are you trying to get? Because unless you want to really dig into the guts it is unnecessary to buy a book in my opinion. An Ubuntu installation is roughly on par with a Windows installation at this point in terms of difficulty. Especially if you are doing a single operating system. Dual booting is a little more complicated but not much. The community around it is pretty huge and there are tutorials and forums aplenty. I can't really speak to the book though.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    I personally recommend Linux Mint instead of Ubuntu. It's based on Ubuntu, but the UI is more Windows like (i.e. conventional).

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Plus you can install MATE, gnome minus all the sucky obstinate UI design decisions.
    http://mate-desktop.org/

• Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who likes Unity and GNOME 3. I mean, I only use Xfce these days because I only use Linux on my netbook, but whenever I'm using Linux on a desktop, it's GNOME 3 for me (not so much Unity these days because the privacy policy doesn't sit so well with me). In terms of aesthetics and usability, though, I'm perfectly happy with GNOME 3 and Unity.

• Options
    Gnome 3 is pretty great, imho. All I really need is a quicksilver-like launcher and Expose. It just gets out of the way. This is coming from a former Openbox user, mind you. ;-)

• Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    originally neither unity or gnome3 liked running under a virtual machine or on my netbook, so I pretty actively avoided them

But I also really don't like unity, and no I don't like OS X either

I haven't touched it a lot, but maybe I could get used to gnome3. However, I've set up xfce pretty much the way I like it, so I don't feel like there's much point

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    One of the reasons I took to Unity quite well is the taskbar. Under Windows, my taskbar is always icons only on the left, and I set up Xfce much the same way.

• Options
    My dream would be a tiling window manager with a Unity style launcher.

• Options
    So it looks like fglrx out of the ubuntu repos (13.1) finally supports Composite and accelerated graphics together? Just installed it on my desk and the experience seemed pretty steamless. I'm going to chaulk that up to Valve yelling at GPU makers to stop being idiots when they could make millions more dollars selling high end graphics cards to people for the exact amount they save not buying a Windows license.

• Options
    JimboJimbo down underRegistered User regular
    So now that SteamOS is available for download, has anyone here had a poke at it yet?

404 not found
  • Options
    Jimbo wrote: »
    So now that SteamOS is available for download, has anyone here had a poke at it yet?

It looks like it's currently a pain to duel boot. I've seen people say that they accomplished it by unplugging all their hard drives but one, running the installation, then manually adding the grub entry.