As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Game Sales Numbers 3: We <3 Analysts

• Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    First off:

You people who insist on denying that Wikipedia holds any worth whatsoever, have you people actually visited it within the past... I dunno, ever? While anyone can edit it and mess it up, this also means that (SHOCK!) anyone can edit it back to make it correct again! Not to mention the people dedicating to fixing the site's info would see it as more of a job than some pastime, and so would be more persistent in fixing the site than some obnoxious preteen who wants to insist that Martin Luther King Jr. had three heads. (Which is a bit of stretch, considering that I'm unsure most preteens know who Martin Luther King Jr. is.)

Secondly, the large majority of Wikipedia's information is sourced to other sites that are not Wikipedia. And that's why Wikipedia is a godsend - you go to the main page, and you'll generally have links up the wazoo to -gasp!- other pages! That aren't Wikipedia! And may even be reliable! And Wikipedia uses these links and sources for their information!

Thirdly, Wikipedia has been, in various tests, found to be as accurate, if not moreso, than your average encyclopedia. Perception =/= reality, otherwise the PSP has no games, and the XBox 360 has nothing but shooters.

Secondly:
    toxk_02 wrote: »
    Mario Strikers just got released in Japan so this week we'll see how far demand is really down or if they're just waiting for games. This depends if Mario Strikers is popular or not, I don't have a clue how the Gamecube predecessor held up.

Mario Strikers Charged absolutely bombed on first day sales according to the sinobi blog. Maybe it'll pick up over the week, but... enh. Not looking good.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I got banned from editing Wikipedia entries for 2 years after changing the article on avalanches, specifically the section on how to survive an avalanche by adding 'Grab hold of yetis dick' yeah that was me and it lasted a few weeks but this was back before wikipedia was anywhere near as moderated as it is now.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Wikipedia is not a reliable source for anything. [citation needed]

Could not have said it better. :lol:

hmm, this might have been better

wikipedian_protester.png

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    chasm wrote: »
    Maybe they should release 3 different versions of Halo 3 where each version has different monsters in the campaign that can be traded for with other versions. Or they could give you a limited selection of weapons, and you have to trade for the rest.

It might get further up the best selling games list.

I...I think I love you.

So what are you so afraid of?

Jimothy on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Wikipedia is not a reliable source for anything.

You could not be more wrong.

You have no way of backing up that statement.
    Because it's wrong.

Hell, EA edited it to make themselves look better.

Ok, so you have shown example of one article which is unreliable out of nearly 2 million.

Do you fully understand the sheer amount of articles based on science, chemistry, history and whatnot that are 100% factually accurate. They account for well over half of all wikipedia articles.

What you SHOULD have said to not be wrong is 'Take all wikipedia articles with a grain of salt' because while ostensibly they are accurate they could be altered.

saying wikipedia is unreliable on everything is stupid and naive.
    I didn't say it was unreliable on everything. I said it wasn't reliable for anything. There's a clear distinction of meaning.
    Learn to read.

And for all those rabbiting on about regular encyclopedias by contrast, they don't generally contain things like sales figures at all, not would I rely on them for them if they did.

By the way, the test referred to showed it was more grammatically accurate than the Enclopedia Britannica online, which was neither a comparison with the (different) print version nor at all relevant to the issue of factual accuracy.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I didn't say it was unreliable on everything. I said it wasn't reliable for anything. There's a clear distinction of meaning.
    Learn to read.

Apparently I need to learn to read, then. If it's not reliable for Subject (A), (A) being a variable, then by extension it must be unreliable for Subject (A). In the case of 'anything', Subject (A) then covers the entire spectrum, which is, well, everything.

So what's the clear 'distinction of meaning' here?

Pureauthor on
  • Options
    WickerBasketWickerBasket Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Jimothy wrote: »
    chasm wrote: »
    Maybe they should release 3 different versions of Halo 3 where each version has different monsters in the campaign that can be traded for with other versions. Or they could give you a limited selection of weapons, and you have to trade for the rest.

It might get further up the best selling games list.

I...I think I love you.

So what are you so afraid of?

The power of love?

Edit: Also, stop arguing about the reliability of Wikipedia. It's a hell of a lot more reliable than vgchartz and thats all that needs to be said. Games numbers are really hard to comeby outside of the US and Japan, I wouldn't really trust anything other than the NPD and Media Create.

WickerBasket on
    "please get on point coward baby magets."

PSN = Wicker86 ________ Gamertag = Wicker86
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Wikipedia is not a reliable source for anything.

You could not be more wrong.

You have no way of backing up that statement.
    Because it's wrong.

Hell, EA edited it to make themselves look better.

Ok, so you have shown example of one article which is unreliable out of nearly 2 million.

Do you fully understand the sheer amount of articles based on science, chemistry, history and whatnot that are 100% factually accurate. They account for well over half of all wikipedia articles.

What you SHOULD have said to not be wrong is 'Take all wikipedia articles with a grain of salt' because while ostensibly they are accurate they could be altered.

saying wikipedia is unreliable on everything is stupid and naive.
    Learn to read.

Nope. Wrong again.

If you say it is not reliable for anything, that means all wikipedia articles are classed as unreliable. therefore everything is unreliable by virtue of you saying that all wikipedia articles are the opposite of reliable, which is unreliable.

which is bullshit, because the wikipedia article on ME is accurate. so that shoots down your argument first off. secondly, like i said, you are taking one tiny miniscule fraction of the wikipedia articles, they have thousands, nay, millions of articles which are copied verbatim from textbooks and science journals. Wikipedia, like I said, should always be studied carefully and never used as a primary source for debate, but to say it is all unreliable is plain wrong. wikipedia is a source of a shitton of reliable, concrete evidence on all manner of subjects. sure, SOME articles are unreliable, but nowhere fucking near all.

dismissing wikipedia are innacurate in the same thread where people are citing vgchartz numbers smacks os insanity. one is clearly orders of magniture more reliable than the other.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    wiki works well as a springboard to other sites and information and a great place to head to if you need some quick facts. That said, even if a lot (I might even venture to say most) of the information there is accurate, you can never assume that it is all accurate. In that sense you really do have to have an air of suspicious when using wiki as a source. That's why it's not accepted as a valid resource in schools and institutions of higher learning. Wiki is awesome and I wholeheartedly support citing it in a relaxed environment such as the PA forums but I would never advise taking it as concrete evidence.

Anywho, strikers bombed in japan? That's a damn shame. Don't they love soccer over there? Or is that just in Korea? Strikers deserves solid sales...I hope it picks back up.

Guek on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Guek wrote: »
    wiki works well as a springboard to other sites and information and a great place to head to if you need some quick facts. That said, even if a lot (I might even venture to say most) of the information there is accurate, you can never assume that it is all accurate. In that sense you really do have to have an air of suspicious when using wiki as a source. That's why it's not excepted as a valid resource in schools and institutions of higher learning. Wiki is awesome and I wholeheartedly support citing it in a relaxed environment such as the PA forums but I would never advise taking it as concrete evidence.

Anywho, strikers bombed in japan? That's a damn shame. Don't they love soccer over there? Or is that just in Korea? Strikers deserves solid sales...I hope it picks back up.

should do really well in europe mind you. we love our football here. nintendo has also done a pretty big marketing push on it. ive seen TV ads. and I NEVER see nintendo tv ads. ever.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Hasn't it already been out in Europe for a while?

Pureauthor on
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    strikers came out in europe before america

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Anybody got predictions for Galaxies sales?

I heard it had something like 400k preorders a few weeks ago. Any truth to that?

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    galaxy with break 1 mil before the end of the year. 2 mil before the end of the 4rth quarter (which ends at the start of Feb or something like that, right?)

Guek on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I'm predicting 3 million sold for Galaxy, maybe more since the Wii has no good games.

WickerBasket on

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    While nintendo won't have half as much advertising, why do you think that Galaxies won't be half as sucessful as halo? The sales bases are about the same size, and if anything, mario is a stronger brand. I'd say at least 3 mil before the new years.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Halo will get the bigger launch, but I think Galaxy will keep selling for longer.

Pureauthor on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    galaxy with break 1 mil before the end of the year. 2 mil before the end of the 4rth quarter (which ends at the start of Feb or something like that, right?)

Im going to guess it will sell less. I think most people are waiting on Brawl over Galaxy. Well I am. Didnt people also predict the same kind of high sales for Prime 3?

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm predicting 3 million sold for Galaxy, maybe more since the Wii has no good games.

Yeah...It'll sell more than that. Sunshine did 5 million lifetime, and Wii is quickly going to catch and pass the LTD sales of the Cube.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

It comes with a good game in the box.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Pata wrote: »

and tonnes more on the shelves of stores.

LewieP on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Im going to guess it will sell less. I think most people are waiting on Brawl over Galaxy. Well I am. Didnt people also predict the same kind of high sales for Prime 3?

Except...all we know is the first 3 days of sales for prime 3, which were good, if not bioshock levels. It'll definately break 1M with the september NPD. And besides that, if any "hardcore" game is going to sell to the casuals, it'd be mario.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007

I mean real games, not party games.

WickerBasket on

• Options
    Inglorious CoyoteInglorious Coyote Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I fully expect Galaxy to sell at least a couple million by years end, and probably more.

Though I have a feeling Brawl will outsell it.

Inglorious Coyote on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Spoit wrote: »

Except...all we know is the first 3 days of sales for prime 3, which were good, if not bioshock levels. It'll definately break 1M with the september NPD. And besides that, if any "hardcore" game is going to sell to the casuals, it'd be mario.

I dont think Prime 3 will break 1 million in the September NPD. People are attributing too much to the August NPD being 'just the first 3 days'

Big name franchies stack their sales early. for example, Halo 2 had over 2 million sales in the first 3 days.

Prime 3 is not going to trend as high as it did for those 3 days. You cant just extend those sales for another month at that rate to get over 1 million.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Image:Metroid_Prime_3_Packaging.jpg

but whatever, this meme is as baseless and as persistant as the "Gamecube is teh kiddy" meme.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Daedalus wrote: »

but whatever, this meme is as baseless and as persistant as the "Gamecube is teh kiddy" meme.
    It's not a Meme, I'm from Europe. Paper Mario JUST came out. There's nothing worth buying that I haven't played.

Edit: Also, Zelda wasn't very good.

WickerBasket on

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

It's not a Meme, I'm from Europe. Paper Mario JUST came out. There's nothing worth buying that I haven't played.

stuff worth buying that you haven't played does not equal no good games.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

I'm aware of that, but of the ones I have played none of them are good. Or they are party games.

WickerBasket on

• Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Halo non-game confirmed.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Spoit wrote: »

I dont think Prime 3 will break 1 million in the September NPD. People are attributing too much to the August NPD being 'just the first 3 days'

Big name franchies stack their sales early. for example, Halo 2 had over 2 million sales in the first 3 days.

Prime 3 is not going to trend as high as it did for those 3 days. You cant just extend those sales for another month at that rate to get over 1 million.

this isn't a bad asessment. However, I do think it's possible MP:3 could break a mil this month, and if not this month then definitely by the year's end. It sold better than Bioshock on the 360 on a weekly basis. Whether it has any staying power, well, that's yet to be determined.

you sir are neither a gentleman nor a scholar.

Guek on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

I'm aware of that, but of the ones I have played none of them are good. Or they are party games.

Shit you didn't like also doesn't equal no good games. You argued that Super Mario Galaxy would sell well because there are no good games for the Wii and then when you were called on it you just added a bunch of qualifiers that make no sense considering the original argument. It is like arguing that there are no good games for the 360 and dismissing them because they are just shooters and racers or you didn't like the games.

Couscous on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Also, lets remember how badly Metroid Prime 2 sold.

The difference is sales is as much a testimant to the Wii as a viable platform for games that are not party games olol as it is a testament to the quality of the game.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

I'm aware of that, but of the ones I have played none of them are good.

that is such a bullshit statement. You can say that for any console. By that account, the 360 has no good games because I haven't played any good games for it. And verily, I haven't. There are no games for the 360 that I've played that I have enjoyed enough to deam "good." But that doesn't mean squat. Your ignorance does not equate with fact.

Guek on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Shit you didn't like also doesn't equal no good games. You argued that Super Mario Galaxy would sell well because there are no good games for the Wii and then when you were called on it you just added a bunch of qualifiers that make no sense considering the original argument. It is like arguing that there are no good games for the 360 and dismissing them because they are just shooters and racers or you didn't like the games.

Well in Europe there's what? Not much of anything. Should I play wii sports more, or ravin rabbits? My wii's in my closet right now because I'm disgusted with it.

WickerBasket on

• Options
    NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Just like how the PS3 has a ton of great games out right now. Too bad it doesn't have more Halo though :(

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    all systems have good games

shut up

SALES SALES SALES

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Neva wrote: »
    Just like how the PS3 has a ton of great games out right now. Too bad it doesn't have more Halo though :(

In comparison to the Wii, yeah it does. There's probably 3 or 4 games I'd pick up for it. Shame about the price.

WickerBasket on

• Options
    edited September 2007
    Zephyr wrote: »
    all systems have good games

shut up

SALES SALES SALES

You're ruining my plan! I'm injection interest into the thread! 20 pages within the hour!
    I'm half joking

WickerBasket on

• Options
    edited September 2007

Well in Europe there's what? Not much of anything. Should I play wii sports more, or ravin rabbits? My wii's in my closet right now because I'm disgusted with it.

Mario Strikers, Excite Truck, Elebits, Metal Slug Anthology, RE4:Wii, MySims, etc. Whether or not you actually like these games doesn't really matter. You not liking these games doesn't make them bad games and saying that Mario Galaxy will sell well because there aren't any good games on the system is idiotic.

Couscous on
This discussion has been closed.