Options

I HEAR THE [CHAT] ECHOING TONIGHT

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    46253546_2cQIT15te1vht6UoLgamI6-RFv3nRrtSfoqzEFcnQJE.jpg

yuss

Goddamn I want some good food today.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Authentic Chinese is something I can't stomach at all.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    in spain we just bought drink in the shops because it was horrifically cheap

• Options
    10276003_10203090318315600_47256278414479273_n.jpg?oh=a49554c2ec6c9b615d10ce46658f22d1&oe=543B0139&__gda__=1414764976_5e0f326d8830b772a0f0f44a192645d9

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2014
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    what kind of subperson doesnt like italian food

tbf most italian-american food is bullshit

wrong answer

boston's north end is our "little italy". it's a big tourist destination. people go there from all over to get the besta pasta justa like u get in the old country.

it's about 80% bullshit. expensive, overly sweet, heavy. just bad. like maybe a rung above olive garden.

there are a few standouts that are actually good, but for the most part the food is bad

but people still love it!

my sister used to live on salem and charter and i spent a good time in the north end, so i know my way around

but

i'm curious as why you're casting your aspersion of italion food based on tourist grub

also conversations about authenticity of food are bullshit

well sure i mean i love mexican-american food. cajun & creole food are basically americanized po-folks french cuisine. there's nothing about authenticity that makes food good or bad. based on waht deek says about his experiences in china, i'm pretty confident that much of chinese-american food is an improvement over its chinese counterpart.

but american italian food just isn't something i cotton to. most of it was developed in the really early days of industrial agriculture, where available ingredients amounted to canned tomatoes, sugar, dry goods, mild cheeses, etc. as a result the traditional profile of italian-american food tends to eschew fresh ingredients and is targeted at a pretty basic bland palate.

there have been improvements to it, but especially in boston, the center of the bullseye in terms of italian food preferences is "sweet, bland, heavy, overly fried". u order a chicken parm basically anywhere in the city and what u get is a pound of overcooked pasta (often angel hair, which is the worst choice for a heavy meal like this), super-heavy sweet tomato sauce heaped over a deep-fried chicken cutlet. covered in shredded mozz. it's bad. but it's what people like.

you've probably read about marcella hazan. she immigrated from italy in i think the 50s. she was an engineer and had no culinary training but when she came to the US (NYC) she was so horrified by what we called "italian" food she studied up and became a food writer & chef. most of her recipes aim at lighter & simpler versions of italian-american staples. i guess her influence didn't penetrate too deep into new england tho.

but this is kind of a necessary step into changing american tastes

as much as i hate taco bell and boxed taco seasoning, both played necessary roles in getting americans to be more adventurous

and our grocery stores reflect this

without that processed shit, we would never get to where we are today where I can find bags of dried peppers to make mole in my local key foods

it's just a worthless criticism

Vanguard on
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    I dislike the idea of criticising people for being "dependant" on psychiatric medication. It plays into a lot of bullshit attitudes around mental health.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Shaz for real lets grab a parm sub fuck being healthy.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    from talking about food with my ex I know there's at least one school of chinese chinese food which seems to have evolved out of a form of chemical warfare with hot as fuck chilies constituting more than half of any dish and I think I know why that one didn't catch on outside china

(I think that was southish china. Where do they have the closest to american chinese food?)

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I know I'm late, but Atomika likes fewer movies than Ebert.

It's true. I don't like many.

But I hope springs eternal.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

YES MY CHILDREN

GO FORTH AND EAT THE FOODS

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular

well i can't today

but yes we should at some point

poo
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    as to my stance on roger ebert

yes, he watched a lot of movie and was clearly familiar with the history of film

i feel that there were a handful of films he was extremely disingenuous towards and this contradicts his supposed "objective" to watching and review movies

couple that with being the loudest mouthpiece in film criticism and i think he is a problematic figure

also, any review which measures are on a scale (be it stars, thumbs, numbers, tomatoes, whatever) is inherently garbage

• Options

well i can't today

but yes we should at some point

K - Field trip cancelled.

:(

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    Chili's does a couple of things good. Their chicken tenders are amazing, and their skillet queso and chips are the bomb. Their corn on the cob is really good too.

That's it.

Also their margaritas are amazing @deebaser

You're going to give him a stroke

wow
    such sour mix

@TehSloth‌

Im not gonna have a stroke. Im just audibly sighing at how basic dese bitches are.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I give that review two dicks down

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    How do I explain to my friend that being a 24 year old with 9 grand in the bank doesn't make her poor and that when she says she has no money to me it is insulting?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    from talking about food with my ex I know there's at least one school of chinese chinese food which seems to have evolved out of a form of chemical warfare with hot as fuck chilies constituting more than half of any dish and I think I know why that one didn't catch on outside china

(I think that was southish china. Where do they have the closest to american chinese food?)

Probably the Beijing area. Higher quality meat, sweet sauces.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Seriously.

My anti depressants make me go from "lying in bed sobbing because the world is too hard" to "lying in bed playing video games because the world is too hard". Other than depression, none of the issues I have been diagnosed with are being treated because doctors are afraid I will become addicted to them.

I am tired and I will gladly take addiction at this point.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    I know I'm late, but Atomika likes fewer movies than Ebert.

It's true. I don't like many.

But I hope springs eternal.

Well, just to balance out the neigh sayers. I really like the movie you wrote up for the Instant Watch Movie dealio. Young Adult. That was a good movie that I would never have seen if not for your liking it.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    How do I explain to my friend that being a 24 year old with 9 grand in the bank doesn't make her poor and that when she says she has no money to me it is insulting?

Rob her

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    stavanger aftenblad had my favourite reviewer

reviews were scored on smiley face, frowney face, whatever face, dude was very omnivorous in his movie tastes and had strange cares for liking things

also most importantly his reviews told you fuck all about what happens in the movie or what it's about but they gave you a good sense of what they're like, even if you don't actually understand the review

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Awwwww yyiiiiisssssss
    IT just installed my 24 inch monitor.

Dude tried to take my second monitor, I told him to pound sound. This is America!

• Options
    we went with Smirnoff and were drinking it outside the festival

we realised we were running late to see GY!BE so we turned to the girls beside us outside and was all "hey, do you want some vodka? We're running inside"

and the girls were like "oh shit, you guys bought too much vodka too!"

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Awwwww yyiiiiisssssss

Dude tried to take my second monitor, I told him to pound sound. This is America!

good for you but where I work if you told me to pound sand I'd just pick up the monitor and walk out.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular

Rob her

She's reasonably attractive to boot. I'd never get away with it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Also, I'm not dependent. I haven't had my vyvanse in like a week because my pre-authorization with my insurance ran out so I have to wait for a letter from my doctor. I'm certainly not fiending. I don't think Prozac is considered a controlled substance either.

All in all, dependent is a harsh word. Especially when I was making a silly weed joke. But I mean, hey, the shit I say, who cares? I just feel the need to point out that dependent is not a word I like to identify with.

Also it makes you sound a tad bit Tom Cruisey.

This is like that Whomp where Ronnie keeps making fat jokes at his own expense and a guy nearby is really uncomfortable. Then he says something relatively mild and Ronnie just bursts into tears.

2013-02-27-Overeating-Your-Words.jpg

I make fun of my fat ass all the time. I own it. If you aren't comfortable about you, dont make joke, Ronnie!

• Options

let her know that she is currently worth 13 grand more than me

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    sweet is a flavor will you asshole

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    ludious just drinks pre-made skinny girl margaritas on the rocks

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    America takes bad foods and makes them better, fyi hth.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options

Well you can say "no, I have no money. You have money."

not that I'd entirely agree that just 9 grand in the bank makes you not-poor but that's with my CoL in mind I have no idea what it's like where you are

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Authentic Szechuan chinese food was tasty but also my butt dear got my butt.

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    I used to be really hard on behavioral drugs. I was almost to Tom Cruise levels of calling bullshit. But after close friends and family needing them to function it was a real eye opener. The toughest thing for me was always that the symptoms were the same. I don't need medication, and I've had bad depression, I've panicked before, and I've definitely been anxious. But its the reasons behind these things and the ability to naturally deal with them that are vastly different. You can't just look at the face value and say "If I can get over it, so can they" cause it simply isn't always the case. A hard lesson for me to learn at the time.

• Options
    Elendil wrote: »
    ludious just drinks pre-made skinny girl margaritas on the rocks

Bud Lite lime-a-rita

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod

1) recognize that her problems are legitimate to her and it's really hard for you to give someone perspective (vs them developing it organically over a long period of their own observations)

2) if after respecting her difficulties she doesn't reciprocate the decency by trying and be more tactful, stop talking about money/stop hanging out with her

i can't imagine it's a good idea to try to force feed someone perspective

some people won't get along if they're in different phases of their life

• Options
    Tav wrote: »

let her know that she is currently worth 13 grand more than me

shh-shh-shh, no, let's not count debt because that makes us sad

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    Seriously.

My anti depressants make me go from "lying in bed sobbing because the world is too hard" to "lying in bed playing video games because the world is too hard". Other than depression, none of the issues I have been diagnosed with are being treated because doctors are afraid I will become addicted to them.

I am tired and I will gladly take addiction at this point.

It has taken me about 8 years but finally I have gathered up the will and energy to bother enough people so that I might get all the right drugs and treatment I need.

It is particularly difficult because while the depression is being managed by my antidepressants, my energy level is still through the floor 9 days out of 10, so motivating myself to do the things that need to be done is really hard.

I wrote all of this in a letter which I then distributed to my family and my doctors though, so they understand now that while doing a given thing may seem easy, it can be the hardest thing in the world for me because my brain is a jerk and so I am gonna need some help.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Spiro has actually been kind of helpful with my anxiety, and I am getting more of it today.

Not sure if that is helping due to hormonal things, or if it is because I almost certainly have hypertension, or both.

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    what kind of subperson doesnt like italian food

tbf most italian-american food is bullshit

wrong answer

boston's north end is our "little italy". it's a big tourist destination. people go there from all over to get the besta pasta justa like u get in the old country.

it's about 80% bullshit. expensive, overly sweet, heavy. just bad. like maybe a rung above olive garden.

there are a few standouts that are actually good, but for the most part the food is bad

but people still love it!

my sister used to live on salem and charter and i spent a good time in the north end, so i know my way around

but

i'm curious as why you're casting your aspersion of italion food based on tourist grub

also conversations about authenticity of food are bullshit

well sure i mean i love mexican-american food. cajun & creole food are basically americanized po-folks french cuisine. there's nothing about authenticity that makes food good or bad. based on waht deek says about his experiences in china, i'm pretty confident that much of chinese-american food is an improvement over its chinese counterpart.

but american italian food just isn't something i cotton to. most of it was developed in the really early days of industrial agriculture, where available ingredients amounted to canned tomatoes, sugar, dry goods, mild cheeses, etc. as a result the traditional profile of italian-american food tends to eschew fresh ingredients and is targeted at a pretty basic bland palate.

there have been improvements to it, but especially in boston, the center of the bullseye in terms of italian food preferences is "sweet, bland, heavy, overly fried". u order a chicken parm basically anywhere in the city and what u get is a pound of overcooked pasta (often angel hair, which is the worst choice for a heavy meal like this), super-heavy sweet tomato sauce heaped over a deep-fried chicken cutlet. covered in shredded mozz. it's bad. but it's what people like.

you've probably read about marcella hazan. she immigrated from italy in i think the 50s. she was an engineer and had no culinary training but when she came to the US (NYC) she was so horrified by what we called "italian" food she studied up and became a food writer & chef. most of her recipes aim at lighter & simpler versions of italian-american staples. i guess her influence didn't penetrate too deep into new england tho.

but this is kind of a necessary step into changing american tastes

as much as i hate taco bell and boxed taco seasoning, both played necessary roles in getting americans to be more adventurous

and our grocery stores reflect this

without that processed shit, we would never get to where we are today where I can find bags of dried peppers to make mole in my local key foods

it's just a worthless criticism

but when the center of the bullseye is still that same food it's absolutely pertinent. one of the reasons that "traditional" english foods are so reviled is that they were basically built around what was available during WWII. people got used to it, then preferred it, then instilled the preference in their kids. decades later most brits just prefer the flavor of canned peas.

this is not terribly dissimilar to what's up with italian-american food, especially in boston. sure the north end is a tourist destination, but it's also chockablock with italian americans from the south shore for whom this is a nice night out.

i mean it's great that "ethnic" food has integrated itself into mainstream american food, but if mexican cuisine was still centered around old el paso taco seasoning it would be bullshit, and that's where a lot of italian-american food still is, at least in new england and i suspect in much of NYC as well.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Awwwww yyiiiiisssssss

good for you but where I work if you told me to pound sand I'd just pick up the monitor and walk out.

As long as you left me with two monitors, I would not care. You do not ask to drop by my hood to give me a new monitor and then tell me you're downgrading my setup to single monitor. That aint right!

This discussion has been closed.