Options

Dungeonings and Dragaerans and Labyrinths and Wyverns etc.

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Oh man I'm going to have to buy into Changeling 2nd. I've got all but one nWoD Changeling book and I know at least three people I could pull into a game. Dang.

• Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    All this new world of darkness stuff you guys are posting is hitting a lot of the right buttons for me. All of it just sounds flavorful as hell and really makes me want to see what the world is about.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    So my Player's Handbook for 5e arrives tomorrow

I've only ever played 4e and a little Pathfinder

What should I expect

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Really good art and bland-ish but more or less functional rules.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    More like Pathfinder

only not as janky?

I mean, in terms of complicated maths.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    More like Pathfinder

only not as janky?

Oh rad, that was my quibble with Pathfinder

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Dungeons and Dragons 5th Edition: It's Pretty Okay, All Considered.

• Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    More like Pathfinder

only not as janky?

Keep in mind I've only experience with 1st level 5e. For all I know the math gets crazy weird higher up. Or with future splat books.

But Pathfinder it's right there in the base.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    More like Pathfinder

only not as janky?

Keep in mind I've only experience with 1st level 5e. For all I know the math gets crazy weird higher up. Or with future splat books.

But Pathfinder it's right there in the base.

how the hell is the base pathfinder book janky or complicated?

• Options
    like, it's the same basic math as 4e effectively

it only gets really heavy until you start getting into advanced classes and crazy feat trees

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Denada wrote: »
    All this new world of darkness stuff you guys are posting is hitting a lot of the right buttons for me. All of it just sounds flavorful as hell and really makes me want to see what the world is about.

I have to say, I'm a dude who was only introduced to the whole Vampire thing by playing Bloodlines (in 2007) and never so much as glanced at a White Wolf rulebook until 2010. So I definitely don't have the lifetime of investment that some of the hardcore (and frankly, kind of weird) fans online do. But I've really sunk my teeth into the worlds and system pretty much purely on the strength of the interesting atmospheres they create, the system being pitched at my personal happy place on the scale between freeform hippie storygameism and hardcore neckbeard simulationism, and the fact that the current team really seems engaged with the audience and to take people's feedback seriously.

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

it only gets really heavy until you start getting into advanced classes and crazy feat trees
    I was jumping into a years old campaign so shit was already at that level

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

I was jumping into a years old campaign so shit was already at that level
    that is

a really bad idea

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited August 2014

right, and 4E and Pathfinder are both really math-intensive games

not GURPS bad, but definitely complicated across the board

Dex Dynamo on
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Mage, Changeling, and Promethean were the standouts of the original line before White Wolf collapsed and transitioned into Onyx Path, with their second edition/God Machine Chronicle they're really kicking things up a notch and pushing back against the horrible 90s design philosophy that infested almost all of the nWoD.

If only I had faith in what Onyx Path is doing with Exalted at this point they'd be a completely new+better WW. Luckily that's a nice completely divorced world of development hell that's not dragging down the nWoD2 stuff(and doesn't seem to eh attached to Scion2, either) so they're still 90% for me.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    I mean I didn't really have much say

My college buddies had been playing for years and one of them graduated and left and I had joined the friend circle so they asked me to jump in

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    the fact that the current team really seems engaged with the audience and to take people's feedback seriously.
    This is the big one. All of OP outside of the Exalted team has been completely open and communicative on all levels with their fans. It's really great, both hyping the fans and building goodwill for future releases. I'm lovin' it.

Also just thinking about The Huntsmen Chronicle as the prior title for Changeling 2nd makes me grin like a fool. I'm way too jazzed for something that I know almost nothing about.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Melding wrote: »

D&D 5th edition: It's okay

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    the fact that the current team really seems engaged with the audience and to take people's feedback seriously.
    This is the big one. All of OP outside of the Exalted team has been completely open and communicative on all levels with their fans. It's really great, both hyping the fans and building goodwill for future releases. I'm lovin' it.

Also just thinking about The Huntsmen Chronicle as the prior title for Changeling 2nd makes me grin like a fool. I'm way too jazzed for something that I know almost nothing about.

I never had time to play like half these games anyway (since I only started a couple years ago) so it makes me pretty happy to know that they're just going to get newer, radder versions while I wait.

Plus, as I am learning with Blood & Smoke, there is something immensely appealing about the idea of running something that is complete in one book. Just - three hundred pages, some character options, a list of powers, boom, go.

• Options
    edited August 2014

The way it presents itself with the charts and superfluous modifier variants and such makes it less accessible.

In my opinion, anyway.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    So over lunch at work I've run basic combats in Savage Worlds for a coworker a couple times now

He seems to be really digging it, it's kind of a shame because he's got no practical way to make it to my place if I were to invite him to our regular game nights

It satisfies a bit of the itch I have to run that system though while I gear up to resume the Shadowrun campaign I've been running for my buddies

• Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    I was a teenager when Vampire: The Masquerade and Werewolf: The Apocalypse came out. In fact I still have my old WtA book with the claw slashes cut out on the front. I loved those settings and really enjoyed the systems when I was able to actually play them (although I doubt I fully understood them, or even mostly understood them). Heck I even tried to start writing my own Thing: The Something at one point about gargoyles.

Anyway, then my group suddenly stopped playing any of the WW games. And then the usual GM got super pissed at us when a D&D campaign went off the rails, and then I didn't play any tabletop RPGs for like 10 years.

So for me it's really cool to see all this new World of Darkness stuff coming out, and to feel like, in a way, it's been maturing with me. It's like seeing an old friend after a long time and realizing that you could still be friends.

• Options
    Chomp-ChompChomp-Chomp Shonen Princess Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

D&D 5th edition: It's okay

Snagged a copy, because it's not like I'm not going to pick up the new D&D. C'mon.

Very easy math, imposed stat caps, and low maxes for accuracy and AC. Much less swingy on the whole and much less crunchy.

Advantage and Disadvantage seem neat and versatile, but I'm not sure on the math yet. Disadvantage is pretty fucking awful to have on you.

Return to old-school spell lists that remove the need for / destroy the niches of all classes that don't cast spells. Displeased.

Buuuut multiclassing is super easy and cool.

D&D 5th: Yeah, Okay

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

Which I'm still really impressed by given how the early stuff was. Not impressed enough to buy the books (Although that's more because I bought the 4e books and used them for one PBP once)

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Advantage and Disadvantage seem neat and versatile, but I'm not sure on the math yet. Disadvantage is pretty fucking awful to have on you.

based on a normal "average" of 10, advantage seems to give around +4 to a roll and disadvantage around -3

(average is really 10.5 though)

The interesting part is that they don't actually move your range up or down like the original "favorable"/"unfavorable" conditions would, but instead just increase or decrease your chances of beating average

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    I'm gonna play D&D on Monday for the first time since high school! It's with some work friends who are starting new characters in a longstanding campaign. It's 3.5, which I have zero experience with, but I have a player's handbook on the way.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Pathfinder released their Advanced Class Guide, and with it a bunch of hybrid classes

Have you ever wanted to play a monk without the mystical mumbo Jumbo, or a ranger class without being some forest hippie? Then the Brawler and Slayer classes might be for you.
    Felt like playing a barbarian whose power comes from the demonic (or some other magical origin) blood in your veins? The bloodrager might be for you.
    Or maybe you want to be a Skald Warrior Poet (replacing all bard sissiness with Viking Rage!)?

There is also the Investigator, blending the powers of the rogue and the alchemist (with the Empiricist for all you Sherlock Holmes wannabees), the Shaman, the Hunter and the always overpowered Arcanist (the specialization capability of the wizard! The flexibility of the Sorceror and beyond! The drawback of Noooooone! Ok, the last isn't strictly true, but the Arcanist is OP as always).*

*The book also features the Warpriest. We do not talk about the warpriest, because just like the Arcanist is always OP the immutable DnD laws state that Warpriests must always be less useful than a Cleric/Fighter multiclass.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Those are cool but can I be a lawyer or accountant

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »

Infernalist. :)

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    I am intrigued, tell me more

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Thorn413Thorn413 Registered User regular

Well I mean...

Technically you could be either of those things just by using the Profession skill in the Core Rulebook.

• Options
    No I need to prosecute and/or tally my enemy's finances in such a way that it destroys them

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    No I need to prosecute and/or tally my enemy's finances in such a way that it destroys them
    If you by "prosecute" mean "sealing iron-clad contracts with evil outsiders who in turn destroy your enemies with either murderous force or age-long curses" then yes.
    Otherwise no.

• Options
    Thorn413Thorn413 Registered User regular
    Oddly enough I'm reading the book for a game using the One Roll Engine system and ruining someone financially would be a completely valid and rule-covered way to go after someone...

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Also the book includes the Swashbuckler class, which isn't actually very good a buckling swashes.

And the Daring Champion Cavalier archtype, which is actually pretty damn good a buckling swashes and makes you wonder why they put in a swashbucker class in the first place.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    If you by "prosecute" mean "sealing iron-clad contracts with evil outsiders who in turn destroy your enemies with either murderous force or age-long curses" then yes.
    Otherwise no.

That usually is what I mean by prosecute, so... okay.

• Options
    Oh man the changes to character Backgrounds in 5e are slick as hell

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Every positive thing I hear about 5e makes me sad.

• Options
    Pony wrote: »
    Every positive thing I hear about 5e makes me sad.
    ....why?

They're good things

They listened to the horrible response the early version got and made a better product

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Ahahahaha

There is a kuo-toa goddess named Blibdoolpoolp

CYpGAPn.png
This discussion has been closed.