As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dungeonings and Dragaerans and Labyrinths and Wyverns etc.

Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet:Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
So I noticed the last roleplaying thread ran out and there was no new one that I could see I'm sorry if this is an unnecessary thread.

Here's a wyvern

282kw1k.jpg

This is a labyrinth

15qqdj6.jpg

People like this

1jf5z.jpg

roll these

4l6i5s.jpg

and pretend to be people like this

np1egn.jpg

Let us discuss these "roll playing games" or "role playing games"

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    So the session zero of my new Eclipse Phase campaign was set to be this tuesday, but one of the guys has a funeral to go to (D:) and the other guy has had some work stuff come up. So that leaves the group at half strength in terms of players.

Which makes me kinda sad! I was really looking forward to a good session zero.

We'll probably just hang out still and play card games and maybe look through the rules.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    That's unfortunate, well more time to familiarize your players with the rules isn't all bad, especially for Eclipse Phase.

Speaking of Eclipse Phase, I'm trying to think up a name for a Neo-Chimp character I have. Would it be more appropriate to just give him a normal name, I've heard naming after a hero as a suggestion, I was also considering (because he's a Mercurial) trying to choose a name that's more authentically chimp, but I wouldn't know where to start for a name like that.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Although I'm somewhere between accepting, unsurprised, and bored by the 5e Basic doc, I'm still cautiously hopeful that the PHB will have an expansive enough list of options for subclass that 5th will be worth exploring and playing.

Interesting quote from Mearls regarding the Basic Rules:
    As the Monster Manual and Dungeon Master’s Guide near completion, we’ll add to the basic rules with more material to grow it into a complete game. Our goal is to continue to make updates to the basic rules for D&D until the end of the year, at which point it will be feature complete.

So we absolutely see more stuff added to that document, which is cool!

I still plan on buying a PHB, and I do kind of hope that someone buys the starter box so we can start playing it sooner rather than later, although if there's still no expansion of options between Basic and Starter we'll probably just wait until August, since our FLGS is a Wizards Play Network store and usually gets stuff a couple of weeks early.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    That's unfortunate, well more time to familiarize your players with the rules isn't all bad, especially for Eclipse Phase.

Speaking of Eclipse Phase, I'm trying to think up a name for a Neo-Chimp character I have. Would it be more appropriate to just give him a normal name, I've heard naming after a hero as a suggestion, I was also considering (because he's a Mercurial) trying to choose a name that's more authentically chimp, but I wouldn't know where to start for a name like that.

Cesar?

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular

Cesar?

That would be almost as bad as Zeus :P

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2014
    So I am going over this whole Shadowrun 5E business and man, I don't think I can play this game. Love the setting, but fuck if I am going to be bothered with like 9575758 charts that are all super specific about every little detail.

Am asking potential players to just run the setting out of Fate instead.

Vanguard on
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular

Wukong (the Monkey King of lore?)

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I almost didn't notice the person in the Labyrinth pic in the OP.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »

You found Waldo!

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    A reminder: 5e's credits thank and legitimize a pair of transphobic & misogynistic assholes who've been known to stalk and bully people out of the hobby.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    i went and reread the extra consolation credits and saw this written under it
    Disclaimer: Wizards of the Coast is not responsible for the consequences of splitting up the
    party, sticking appendages in the mouth of a leering green devil face, accepting a dinner
    invitation from bugbears, storming the feast hall of a hill giant steading, angering a dragon
    of any variety, or saying yes when the DM asks, “Are you really sure?"

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    This might be splitting hairs, but isn't the language less of a 'thank you' and more of what is likely a legal requirement to give credit where credit is due?

I have no doubt the two guys are pretty awful folks, but I think Wotc are just doing what they are required to do.

If we want to have a problem with them even being involved to begin with, though, then that's fair enough of course.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Anzekay wrote: »
    This might be splitting hairs, but isn't the language less of a 'thank you' and more of what is likely a legal requirement to give credit where credit is due?

I have no doubt the two guys are pretty awful folks, but I think Wotc are just doing what they are required to do.

If we want to have a problem with them even being involved to begin with, though, then that's fair enough of course.

Kinda, yes?

Like all the other people in that list they specifically went out and brought these two in because of their perceived clout in the OSR movement.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    They also put a bit in the character creating rules specifically saying, "Man, woman, gay, straight, trans, whatever - it's your character."

Which more people are going to read than the credits, I'd have thought.

What about Ham? First chimp in space.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    It's an alright choice, I was thinking I'd probably give him a Chinese heroes name if I went with that, since he was uplifted by a Chinese corporation. Mostly I'm just trying to think of what an authentic Chimpanzee name would be, like if he's trying to give himself a name that at least sounds like something from their own unique culture.

• Options
    I was going to make a table top thread and then i didn't instead. plus i can still use the joke i was planning use later.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    So I am going over this whole Shadowrun 5E business and man, I don't think I can play this game. Love the setting, but fuck if I am going to be bothered with like 9575758 charts that are all super specific about every little detail.

Am asking potential players to just run the setting out of Fate instead.

Is it worse than 3E? It's been a long time since I played, but I remember having to consult multiple charts to figure out cover, damage, armor, and everything else with each shot. I mean, I loved Shadowrun, but it was very complex.

And, on the topic of complexity, my group has been playing Dungeon World lately. It's like D&D with all of the bullshit stripped out, and a laser-like focus on story telling. I'm loving every second of it.

Also, my character is the highest level in the party. Which means he's failed the most rolls. Moar liek Failadin...

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Honestly, having played 3e through 5e, I think 5e Shadowrun's easily the easiest from a playability standpoint.

Hell, the first time I'm playing it, I'm playing as a bloody Techno, and grasped it after a session.

If you're trying to memorize all the rules, sure you might have problems. I find that having a cheat sheet with my most common actions on it helps.

h29Al6N.jpg

Heck, I think I actually only use a couple of those, but nice to have just in case.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    my eyes glazed over 4 lines into that chart, and then my mind shifted to what all the non-decker players are doing during the decker's matrix run. Bathroom break? snack run? knitting a sweater?

• Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular

luckily those walls appear to be about a foot and a half taller then that person so they can just climb up and cheat their way out

• Options
    every time i've played shadowrun no one has played a decker.

I imagien this makes things harder but at the same time i'm hard pressed to care.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    last time I played shadowrun (15 years ago) I was a physical adept that was basically spider-man 2099 without the webs.

it was pretty awesome, really.

I don't think we had a decker either

• Options
    I've decided I want some sort of 4e-style game where the setting is basically that magic is everywhere and every class uses magic to one degree or another, and the ability to use magic is pretty much what separates playable races and heroes from NPCs and monsters and the like.

So you still might fight an ogre-magi, but such a creature is not only uncommon but would have absolute hordes of ogres and orcs at their command.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    A reminder: 5e's credits thank and legitimize a pair of transphobic & misogynistic assholes who've been known to stalk and bully people out of the hobby.

Care to name names?

• Options
    edited July 2014

Care to name names?

It does neither of those things.

tFzZALF.jpg

At least two of those people are known assholes.

Tox on
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

Care to name names?

It does neither of those things.

tFzZALF.jpg

At least two of those people are known assholes.

I'm going to take a stab in the dark and guess the RPGPundit is one of them?

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah I think that's what they said in the previous thread.

I'm all for calling a shitlord a shitlord.

And I'm all for bashing WotC for hiring them, and even boycotting 5th "because" of that (even if the real reason is because you don't like what they did with the system).

But don't sit there and act like WotC gave them a half-page spread singing their praises and claiming that the RPG community owes them a debt of gratitude.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Huntera wrote: »

luckily those walls appear to be about a foot and a half taller then that person so they can just climb up and cheat their way out
    There is a cheat for most mazes - put left hand on wall, do not take it off. Walk until you find the exit.

• Options
    I'm guessing the other is Zak S?

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Until the DM makes a dungeon that has the first left hand turn lead into an acid pit.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular

There is a cheat for most mazes - put left hand on wall, do not take it off. Walk until you find the exit.
    Does not hold true if the maze moves out of a 2D plane. Adding a second level, or even something as simple as a raised path over the maze from one point to another can break this practice.

Also not true if the start or end point is somewhere withing the maze itself.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    my eyes glazed over 4 lines into that chart, and then my mind shifted to what all the non-decker players are doing during the decker's matrix run. Bathroom break? snack run? knitting a sweater?

Honestly, it doesn't really take much longer than, say, a mage's turn fucking about in the astral nowadays. You can't do the whole "decker sits at home and plays a different adventure" thing anymore, they've gotta be on the scene with the rest of the party. And there's a lot more tools to work with that play style too so they contribute. As long as someone somewhere is using some sort of tech, you can mess with them.

Personal favorite is the "three finger salute" my techno does. Throws Puppeteering CF to force a enemy drone to perform actions... Like say, Reformat Device and then Reboot.

Or just Control Device to have it take attack actions against my target of choice.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I've decided I want some sort of 4e-style game where the setting is basically that magic is everywhere and every class uses magic to one degree or another, and the ability to use magic is pretty much what separates playable races and heroes from NPCs and monsters and the like.

So you still might fight an ogre-magi, but such a creature is not only uncommon but would have absolute hordes of ogres and orcs at their command.

That seems like a pretty easy thing to do with 4E, since even the class powers for martial classes are pretty magic-y in flavor to begin with.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Stilts wrote: »

That seems like a pretty easy thing to do with 4E, since even the class powers for martial classes are pretty magic-y in flavor to begin with.

Pretty much! But I have other issues with 4e mechanically, that I feel like it'd be a good excuse for just a brand new system, heavily influenced by 4e, but with the math fixed.

Honestly that's something I like about 5th. The Proficiency bonus and relatively flat defense lines is an appeal for me.

• Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    I honestly run a pretty abbreviated version of the Matrix when my decker gets up to things during our main group sessions

He couldn't make one of the main sessions though so I rolled up a random run and set it entirely within the Matrix with one of his contacts hiring him to help out with something

This time I actually paid attention to Overwatch and managed to work out how IC works properly and it was pretty fun! Gave him a scare when I link-locked him and threw some Trace IC at him

Magic and the astral plane still confuses me but otherwise I'm really digging Shadowrun

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Does not hold true if the maze moves out of a 2D plane. Adding a second level, or even something as simple as a raised path over the maze from one point to another can break this practice.

Also not true if the start or end point is somewhere withing the maze itself.

S'why I said 'most'.

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Funny, my Pathfinder group has discovered that always turning left in dungeons may not lead you to the exit, but it will lead you to the secret door that leads into the hallway that pops out right behind the big boss monster, allowing you to sneak up on it before it is prepared to fight you by casting all of its pre-fight buffs. This has happened three times now. Once, on free RPG day when there were two parties running the same adventure, this resulted in our left turning group defeating a powerful mummy with no casualties while the other, right turning group ended with a total party kill.

Always take the sinister path.

And now for something completely different, in official Pathfinder Society play you can get an extra dice roll at the end of the game to get a small amount of extra gold. This is the Day Job check, which you get if you have any points in a profession. Example professions are things like baker, weaponsmith, sailor, innkeeper, etc. But apprently it is not restricted to the example professions, and you can take any (non-evil) profession that you can come up with and justify to your character. I was so happy when I discovered that my undead hunting inquisitor of the goddess of death could legally take Profession: Ghostbuster.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »

keep in mind that it it was made quicker and easier

previously you could write the great american novel while somebody was decking

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I really am on the fence about 5th ed. For various reasons like will Teiflings still be PCs?

They could make setting books like the Evil book one where it gives you ideas about the world and/or places in the world and you go from there

Back when I played Shadowrun deckers did not get their special time because we really did a game where we went back to duty for 8 hours and came back and he was still decking
    We took my idea for decking back in the 2nd ed of you do it with us and in real time or find a different group willing to put up with your time sink

And the Merc book with another which name escapes me {it had bioware and other enhancements} were fun to make really neat characters.

• Options
    I do like how Shadowrun Returns handles decking - when you have a character in the matrix in the middle of an action scene, they take 2 or 3 in-matrix turns back to back for every real time turn

This discussion has been closed.