As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DC Movies] Go post in the new thread

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    I think they should just subvert everything in MoS. They could have Luthor come out in support of Superman and defend him against all the people who are criticizing him for the destruction caused in MoS. Have Luthor make all the arguments MoS defenders make about how the destruction was necessary and that Superman had to do what he did to save the world. Make Luthor Superman's advocate and have Luthor try to make Superman more cynical and tell him that he should use his powers with less restraint to stop potential threats with the greatest force possible. Have Luthor twist Jor-El's message to Superman to make it about how Superman is destined for greatness and try to change his reason for helping others to be more about bolstering his own ego. They could even throw in a Church of El led by Glorious Godfrey.

On the other side, they would have Lois and Ma Kent trying to ground Superman to get him to retain his compassion and empathy for the individual people he's working to protect. The movie could be about a philosophical struggle between Luthor's cynicism, selfishness, and abuse of power, and Lois/Ma Kent's optimism, compassion, and idealism. Then they could fix the mistakes made in MoS by having Superman fully accept the mistakes he made and striving to be more empathetic, to give people the benefit of the doubt, to always try to find better ways of solving problems, and learning to use (or not use) his powers more responsibly.

• Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I think it's a little early (or late, considering they've started shooting) to start speculating on detailed script plots, but I do want to say that one of the one of the things that's giving me a ray of hope is the leaked set shots of Bruce Wayne (as Bruce, not Batman) rescuing a girl from a crumbling building. It gives me optimism that there will be a bit more of an emphasis on how they interact with the public, not just Costumed Dudes Punching Each Other.

It's one underrated thing from MoS, that Pete Ross went from bullying Clark to reaching out and helping protect his secret. I think bringing those themes out - that heroes, both in costume and out, can inspire people to be better - would be a good step in the right direction.

Snyder and Goyer are still pretty hamfisted when it comes to themes though, so I'm not getting my hopes up too much.

Archangle on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Wait, they killed Pa Kent in MoS? Why!?

He's not uncle fucking Ben

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Wait, they killed Pa Kent in MoS? Why!?

He's not uncle fucking Ben

Because they think he's supposed to be.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Superman's father always dies before he becomes Superman. Sort of the pivotal thing about him coming of age and realizing what Pa Kent was saying about using his powers responsibly.

Lois and Clark was the only one that really bucked the trend there, but he still died eventually.

Usually he dies from a heart attack, but in this day and age that's kind of weird. Smallville had him die from a Jor-El induced heart attack because Jor-El was kind of a dick.

Even the original Superman series that was kind of the message. "I have all these powers but I couldn't save him, what am I supposed to do?" Clark, you're supposed to save as many people as you can, you don't need your powers to be great.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Lois & Clark he didn't die.

Heck he was alive for quite a long time in the comics too.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Lois & Clark he didn't die.

Heck he was alive for quite a long time in the comics too.

I could've sworn he died somewhere around season 3, I remember Martha being the only one being shown.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    I remember the Lois & Clark show being pretty bad. I just looked it up on Wikipedia, and a random episode synopsis jumped at me.
    On Perry's insistence, Lois and Clark take time out on an island resort to work on their relationship. They also bet each other that the other cannot go the whole weekend without working on his/her job—in Lois's case, her journalists job; in Superman's case, going off and saving people as Superman.

WTF? "I bet you can't refrain from saving the lives of random innocent people!" is something a supervillain says before breaking out the maniacal laughter. It is not a sane relationship benchmark that should be used in a healthy marriage. It is a completely fucked up requirement to give your partner, whether or not they are Superman.

sig.gif
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    I think they should just subvert everything in MoS. They could have Luthor come out in support of Superman and defend him against all the people who are criticizing him for the destruction caused in MoS. Have Luthor make all the arguments MoS defenders make about how the destruction was necessary and that Superman had to do what he did to save the world. Make Luthor Superman's advocate and have Luthor try to make Superman more cynical and tell him that he should use his powers with less restraint to stop potential threats with the greatest force possible. Have Luthor twist Jor-El's message to Superman to make it about how Superman is destined for greatness and try to change his reason for helping others to be more about bolstering his own ego. They could even throw in a Church of El led by Glorious Godfrey.

On the other side, they would have Lois and Ma Kent trying to ground Superman to get him to retain his compassion and empathy for the individual people he's working to protect. The movie could be about a philosophical struggle between Luthor's cynicism, selfishness, and abuse of power, and Lois/Ma Kent's optimism, compassion, and idealism. Then they could fix the mistakes made in MoS by having Superman fully accept the mistakes he made and striving to be more empathetic, to give people the benefit of the doubt, to always try to find better ways of solving problems, and learning to use (or not use) his powers more responsibly.

This makes me wish they just did Man of Steel 2, with Luthor coming from a completly justified position(fuled by the fact that his apperance is undermining his greatness).

Having Luthor be the "hero" in his own mind when actually is just fueled by his own insecurities and feelings of diminishment would have been a great angle, and a great story to reedem Man of Steel.

And now I'm imagining it being played by Cranston Luthor fuck all the things I want this.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Cranston is a great actor.

I don't think he'd make a great Luthor though. Everyone would expect Heisenberg.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular

This makes me wish they just did Man of Steel 2, with Luthor coming from a completly justified position(fuled by the fact that his apperance is undermining his greatness).

Having Luthor be the "hero" in his own mind when actually is just fueled by his own insecurities and feelings of diminishment would have been a great angle, and a great story to reedem Man of Steel.

And now I'm imagining it being played by Cranston Luthor fuck all the things I want this.

Luthor does have a justified position in some versions (especially Red Son). He sees Superman saving everyone as allowing everyone to be lax and mediocre, thanks to the knowledge that should they fail this superhuman safety net was going to catch them anyway so why bother? Luthor sees the risks and dangers as what push humanity to strive and excel, and Superman, by taking away the risks and dangers, ultimately hinders humanity rather than help it.

That would be a great angle for MoS 2.

Add to that that LuthorCorp could stand to benefit from the reconstruction effort, both overtly through reconstruction contacts and covertly by using the reconstruction as opportunities to steal Kryptonian tech. So he could (quite legitimately) take the public stance that Superman was good for Earth and for business, while privately plot to bring him down to save humanity.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Richy wrote: »
    I remember the Lois & Clark show being pretty bad. I just looked it up on Wikipedia, and a random episode synopsis jumped at me.
    On Perry's insistence, Lois and Clark take time out on an island resort to work on their relationship. They also bet each other that the other cannot go the whole weekend without working on his/her job—in Lois's case, her journalists job; in Superman's case, going off and saving people as Superman.

WTF? "I bet you can't refrain from saving the lives of random innocent people!" is something a supervillain says before breaking out the maniacal laughter. It is not a sane relationship benchmark that should be used in a healthy marriage. It is a completely fucked up requirement to give your partner, whether or not they are Superman.

Lois & Clark had a lot of problems, but I still love the show. It was basically the Superman story as a rom-com, and I enjoyed that aspect of it a lot. it was corny and silly, but enjoyable for me.

Not to mention that Lane Smith to this day is my favorite Perry White. He was just so good in the role. I also think that Dean Cain made a fantastic Clark just not a good Superman. Teri Hatcher is also my second favorite Lois actress, right behind Noel Neill and before Erica Durance. There were several times where they missed the mark on why Superman was so great, but every once in a while they got it, just got it.

For example, in the season four episode 'I've got you under my skin' a villain body swaps with Superman and starts a crime spree, then he captures Lois, then they have this conversation:
    Lois Lane: It doesn't matter what you do to me. He'll find you. And he'll stop you.

Woody Samms: [chuckles] He's gonna stop Superman?

Lois Lane: He is Superman.

Woody Samms: Not anymore Lady. I'm Superman now!

Lois Lane: You'll never be Superman. It's not the suit. It's not even the powers. It's something you'll never have. Character. To be Superman you have to care about something. Something other than yourself

Scenes like this showed that, at times, they got the character.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options

Luthor does have a justified position in some versions (especially Red Son). He sees Superman saving everyone as allowing everyone to be lax and mediocre, thanks to the knowledge that should they fail this superhuman safety net was going to catch them anyway so why bother? Luthor sees the risks and dangers as what push humanity to strive and excel, and Superman, by taking away the risks and dangers, ultimately hinders humanity rather than help it.

Add to that that LuthorCorp could stand to benefit from the reconstruction effort, both overtly through reconstruction contacts and covertly by using the reconstruction as opportunities to steal Kryptonian tech. So he could (quite legitimately) take the public stance that Superman was good for Earth and for business, while privately plot to bring him down to save humanity.

There's also the fact that Superman hasn't really established himself so he's still very susceptible to suggestion and manipulation, especially by a strong charismatic personality like Luthor. If you add in the fact that a lot of people are probably afraid or angry towards him for what he did, a powerful influence like Luthor coming to his aid would easily gain his trust.

Not to mention how in a lot of Superman origin story, Luthor tries to bribe or manipulate Superman to his side when they first meet. Superman always rejects Luthor and that sets them on a collision course. However, this version Superman does not yet embodied the values that Luthor hates. So Luthor should view him as an untapped resource rather than an uncompromising enemy/obstacle. Luthor should see Superman as someone that he can mold to his own purposes.

• Options

There's also the fact that Superman hasn't really established himself so he's still very susceptible to suggestion and manipulation, especially by a strong charismatic personality like Luthor. If you add in the fact that a lot of people are probably afraid or angry towards him for what he did, a powerful influence like Luthor coming to his aid would easily gain his trust.

Not to mention how in a lot of Superman origin story, Luthor tries to bribe or manipulate Superman to his side when they first meet. Superman always rejects Luthor and that sets them on a collision course. However, this version Superman does not yet embodied the values that Luthor hates. So Luthor should view him as an untapped resource rather than an uncompromising enemy/obstacle. Luthor should see Superman as someone that he can mold to his own purposes.

And like I said a few pages back, this would be a great introduction for the conflict between the dark knight and the boy scout.

• Options
    Especially since he isn't really indoctrinated with the government like he would be in TDK:Returns.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod

This episode of Superman brought to you by the Book of Job.

The Book of Job: When you absolutely, positively, need to fuck up some random dude's life to win a bet.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Pa Kent dying comes from the old Superman movie.

It's been in lots of stuff since then, but not everything.

It wasn't in Superman DCAU, for example, but it is in the public conscience.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Man, if they pull the inspiration for Lex from Red Son that might make this movie actually good.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular

To be fair, Superman could pretty much spend his every waking moment flying around the planet saving people. If he's going to have any sort of life as Clark Kent that means letting people die some of the time.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    HamHamJ wrote: »

To be fair, Superman could pretty much spend his every waking moment flying around the planet saving people. If he's going to have any sort of life as Clark Kent that means letting people die some of the time.

That's a fair point. It just becomes hilaribad when you actually make a plot line out of it.

EXT: A freeway.

A car lies overturned, the PASSENGER inside trapped in his seatbelt. Flames lick at the inside of his cabin as the GAS FIRE spreads. The Passenger SCREAMS, but nobody is within earshot. Nobody except...

INT: A charming cabin on a remote island paradise.

SUPERMAN: "Oh no! I hear the tortured wail of an auto accident victim! I need to-"

LOIS: "Clark? Are you thinking of... saving someone's life?"

SUPERMAN: "Well... No... I just..."

LOIS: "No, no, go ahead." *smiles playfully* "It means I'll win our bet, of course, but..."

SUPERMAN: "Oh, you!" *good-naturedly chucks her chin* "You almost got me, but no way am I going to lose to you this time, Lois!"

*cue laugh track*

EXT: A freeway.

The Passenger SHRIEKS IN AGONY as searing gases ignite inside his lungs and his hair bursts into flames.

~FIN~

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    Superman gets to go on vacation, guys. Otherwise he goes crazy and eats the sun. /canon

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Lois and Clark had a nice bit of characterization that I always thought should get more play in other works.

When describing himself, he put it: "Superman is what I can do. Clark Kent is who I am."

There's wiggle room, especially in works where he over exaggerates Clark into being a bumbling boob. But his core personality should always be the small town good-ol-boy. That he can also bench press a planet should come second.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Prepare for more generic rage everyone!
    "No jokes."

Last week was about the fifth time I've heard that there is a mandate at Warner Bros. regarding any of the DC superhero films in development, and it's very simple and direct and to the point.

"No jokes."

It would seem like a crazy rule to set for an entire series of films. How can you know what the tone is for every story you'll be telling in a series before you've even started telling it? The thing is, DC has taken a few stabs at establishing this larger universe on film, and they've gotten smacked down for everything that hasn't had Batman in it. "Man Of Steel" made money, and I'm certainly not the only person to like the film. I may be one of its more ardent defenders, but I'm not alone. I think you'd have a far harder time finding someone to defend "Green Lantern," the studio's other big attempt at launching one of the core Justice League characters with a film franchise of his own.

http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captured/why-dcs-serious-superman-may-give-marvel-the-big-screen-edge?hf_exp=social_title_on&title=DC is serious about their superheroes, but that may make Marvel's movies mightier

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    DC.

Sigh.

• Options
    Jesus, people. Even Schindler's List had one or two jokes in it. When you're taking your superhero movie more seriously than a biopic on the Holocaust, you are doing it wrong.

• Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    It is not a good time to be a DC fan.

• Options
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Jesus, people. Even Schindler's List had one or two jokes in it. When you're taking your superhero movie more seriously than a biopic on the Holocaust, you are doing it wrong.

But real world gritty real grit doesn't joke... gritty real dark grit is the only thing it knows.

• Options
    Coming in 2015: Batgrit vs Superdark: DawnDusk of Grimdarkjusticegrittygrit

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

The Dark Knight trilogy had jokes, too. Aren't DC trying to emulate that? From the looks of it DC is doing the exact opposite to Marvel with their universe, down to having no jokes, to be a contrast.

• Options
    I sense a Darkhawk movie coming on...

• Options
    DC apparently heard that people liked Batman in the Lego Movie, but did not realize it was parody.

• Options
    DC apparently heard that people liked Batman in the Lego Movie, but did not realize it was parody.

DCAU's batman is a jokester sometimes. Him and flash would be a good analog to iron man versus spidey from marvel.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Lois and Clark had a nice bit of characterization that I always thought should get more play in other works.

When describing himself, he put it: "Superman is what I can do. Clark Kent is who I am."

There's wiggle room, especially in works where he over exaggerates Clark into being a bumbling boob. But his core personality should always be the small town good-ol-boy. That he can also bench press a planet should come second.

And for Batman, it's the opposite. Which Batman Begins got right. Then they dropped that in the sequels.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

DCAU's batman is a jokester sometimes. Him and flash would be a good analog to iron man versus spidey from marvel.

DCAU's Batman would be too upbeat for the DCCU. :(

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    You guys have this all wrong. They said "no jokes" meaning that they didn't want to make something so bad that the box office results would be a joke.

Right? Please?

Meanwhile, Marvel is probably spending half their time laughing at this news and half of it empathizing for the poor schmoes laboring under this ridiculous handicap to make something good.

• Options
    Fakefaux wrote: »
    It is not a good time to be a DC fan.

(Green) Arrow and the Flash.

• Options
    DC excels in animation and television.

Why does actual movie making seem to escape them so badly? O_o

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

It's because of all the jokes they put in their movies.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcukDDDhuYk

• Options

It's not like DC Animation is great by design. WB just got really lucky that there were all these really talented people available. If anything, they've done a pretty crappy job of handling their animation. Just look at how poorly they handled the release of Mask of the Phantasm. If they were smart, they would have really invested in their animation department and turned it into a studio that can compete with Disney/Pixar and Dreamworks.

This discussion has been closed.