As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DC Movies] Go post in the new thread

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Going from fighting mob bosses and criminals to alien invaders able to destroy entire cities is too big of a jump without some build up.

In the DCAU, there was a gradual escalation of the threats Batman faced from TAS up to the Justice League. If you put TAS Batman in the Justice League, he would have been crushed.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Going from fighting mob bosses and criminals to alien invaders able to destroy entire cities is too big of a jump without some build up.

In the DCAU, there was a gradual escalation of the threats Batman faced from TAS up to the Justice League. If you put TAS Batman in the Justice League, he would have been crushed.

I'd watch a Batman movie series that were built around that escalation.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2014
    Avengers works in a vacuum because the "protagonist" can be viewed as the Avengers as a collective team. The team has a distinct arc, the team has growth, the team overcomes its hurdles to save the day.

BvS could absolutely do that. It might be a little rougher, because by the time Avengers hit theaters the teammates had been internalized by the audience via cultural osmosis. Everyone knew about the Hulk and Thor et al even if they'd never seen a movie, so the film could just obliquely mention them and BAM, the audience is now prepared for awesomeness. Also, as I think I mentioned in the MCU thread, Avengers was a movie made of moments - distinct visceral thrills that work almost devoid of context. You see Hulk smash Loki at the end, that shit is fucking awesome even if you take it out of the movie. It's just fun. Avengers is pure popcorn-bliss, the best kind of smartly-crafted mindless action. It works best as a simultaneous capstone on every other Marvel film released to date, subtly furthering character arcs (Cap's fish-out-of-water schtick, Thor's embrace of his role as humanity's protector, etc) and setting up future plots (both IM3 and Cap2 are heavily dependent on stuff that happens in Avengers). But even if you just watch Avengers by itself, that shit is just fun.

And BvS could so have done this if crafted by people who understand what they're trying to do and what it will take. Hell, even just a stinger at the end of MoS would've indicated some attempt at continuity and a larger universe. And maybe it can, I guess. If I was in charge of BvS and tasked with establishing the DCU, the first thing I would do is get super drunk and cry a lot. But the second thing I would do is write BvS as occurring some period of time after MoS, probably a good ten years or so. And during this period, a lot has changed, all of it driven by Superman's sudden appearance on Earth. Maybe some sea god who has lain dormant for years decides that all this Kryptonian shit is a threat to his sea buddies and starts making appearances. A crazy rich dude decides that he needs to start protecting folks so he dresses up as a bat and punches some motherfuckers. A woman from the planet Amazonia followed Kal-El to Earth and wants to get involved.

And I am only half-kidding on that last one. BvS needs a throughline. It needs a common explanation for its supers. Avengers had magic technology - every hero is basically tech-powered (Thor is borderline, but he's still from a place with super-tech, so it works), and having a consistent means of acquiring superhero-ness unifies everything, which makes sense given that it all started with Iron Man, who is literally just a dude with awesome toys. BvS needs this. And since they decided to start the ball rolling with an alien with basically magical alien powers, they should probably roll with it. Otherwise it's: "an alien with alien powers, AND ALSO a rich guy with gadgets, AND ALSO a merman, AND ALSO a goddess with a magic lasso, AND ALSO this all takes place in a gritty, realistic world just like our own except the only color there is brown." Without a throughline, that's just a big, incoherent mess.

I really want to see them succeed, just because by all logic it should fail miserably, and I like being surprised. But I have this feeling that the folks involved are so concerned with me-too-ing the MCU that they're going to just copy the superficialities without understanding why it all worked so well, and how it wasn't just luck, it was a bunch of really smart guys who really knew their shit making something that, in hindsight, is not all that shocking in its crazy-ass amount of success.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    "Spaffy wrote: »
    Does this film exist in the same continuity as the Dark knight Trilogy? Cos yeah, that's gonna be challenging to pull off.

The Dark Knight trilogy isn't in continuity, this is a new Batman.

But it's super obvious Warner wants you to forget that fact when they say things like Batfleck is "older". I think there was even a rumor that they tried to pump Bale full of money to come in for it, too.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Well I guess the Amazons are
    supposed to be descendants of the people from that colony ship. I imagine Aquadrogo will be too.

AManFromEarth on
    Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    supposed to be descendants of the people from that colony ship. I imagine Aquadrogo will be too.
    Earth was Krypton all along.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options

That's actually kinda cool. I can dig it.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Given that Snyder's openly fellating Dark Knight Returns and he's a hack supreme, I wouldn't be shocked if that material gets shoehorned in.

Everyone seems to be dog piling on Snyder these days but though he's not amazing he's not awful either.

I'd describe his output as ambitious stuff that almost-but-not-quite works rather than outright shit.

Also his sense of cinematography is still great and craps over anything in most of the marvel movies which never really aspire beyond "functional".

Jeedan on
  • Options
    Snyder is brilliant at certain things and reeeeeally tone deaf at certain other things. I would love to see him return to cinematography, because in the hands of a consistently good director he could make some really amazing stuff.

Even Suckerpunch was pretty to look at, even if the movie was a big wtf.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Snyder is not quite as good as the material he's given, in my experience. Which is why his best stuff is still the chunks of Watchmen he lifted wholesale from the comic.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Snyder's 300 was light years beyond the quality of the comic, though.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    How good Snyder's movies are depend on what the scripts are like, Goyer is like that too. Unlike Nolan and del Toro Snyder isn't talented enough to fill in the gaps in Goyer's scripts and encourages Goyer's shittier ideas.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    There were some ideas in the script that weren't bad -- Zod being semi-sympathetic, for instance. The dude just wanted to rebuild his civilization. In that light, his breakdown at the end of the movie would have had emotional heft.

But all heft was taken away due to the fact that for the rest of the movie, he's Super Hitler.

"See, it's really important that we rebuild our society. To help convince you, I'm going to drown you in a mountain of skulls."

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Faora's character was lucky she had such a great actress in that movie. She turned shit into gold.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    How good Snyder's movies are depend on what the scripts are like, Goyer is like that too. Unlike Nolan and del Toro Snyder isn't talented enough to fill in the gaps in Goyer's scripts and encourages Goyer's shittier ideas.

The trouble is that at least one part of the pair needs to have a knack for storytelling, and neither Snyder nor Goyer have demonstrated that.

• Options
    Taramoor wrote: »

The trouble is that at least one part of the pair needs to have a knack for storytelling, and neither Snyder nor Goyer have demonstrated that.

I'd place Snyder higher than Goyer in that hierarchy with talent. As much as a failure Sucker Punch was it was an enjoyable spectacle, Blade: Trinity was pure dog-shit.

• Options
    Snyder really fusses over all the surface details like the visuals but doesn't seem to give much thought over things like character development and motivation.

• Options
    Snyder really fusses over all the surface details like the visuals but doesn't seem to give much thought over things like character development and motivation.

Goyer puts random things into his movies because he feels like it.

• Options
    Well, a lot of filmgoers rate things purely on a was-it-pretty scale. And by was-it-pretty, I mean did-a-lot-of-CGI-fly-past-the-screen.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Sucker Punch started awesome, then gradually became worse and worse until the ending topped off with badness.

It could have been a really good psychological drama movie, but the visualization of the girls doing mundane things made into Sci-fi land with Robo samurai and cyborg nazis kind of felt like pretty padding. I need some fucking substance to action scenes in action movies. Because I know it's all fake, I don't care.

Actually, that would have made a more interesting movie if they went gung-ho on the fantasy stuff and then start giving hints that the girls were in a psycho ward, culminating at the end where...the main lady (Baby Doll? Sweet Baby? I forget)
    getting lobotomized
    . But now I'm off on a rant, and I'll close here.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

He tried with the Dawn of the Dead remake. Half the characters wore their personalities on their sleeves but the other half were a tad complex.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

He tried with the Dawn of the Dead remake. Half the characters wore their personalities on their sleeves but the other half were a tad complex.

The screenplay for that written by some other guy. James... something.

Heard he's okay at character work. Just did a movie people seem to like. Had a talking raccoon or some crazy stuff like that.

• Options
    edited August 2014

I'd place Snyder higher than Goyer in that hierarchy with talent. As much as a failure Sucker Punch was it was an enjoyable spectacle, Blade: Trinity was pure dog-shit.

The production behind Blade Trinity was apparantly hilarious and had to be written around the fact that Wesley Snipes literally couldnt be bothered to show up on screen or do any acting beyond passive aggessively doing the bare minimum required.

http://snipeseyes.ytmnd.com/

Jeedan on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Who's to blame for 300 going from like an acceptable wide-screen myth comic that amounted to "300! It happened like they said! Spartans were COOL"

to like a really weird set of veiled political arguments that amounted to "Greek horrific slavery was so noble it was the only thing that stood against the tide of Persian not horrifically enslaving 90% of the population and saved western civilization the Persians were monsters"

Like every bit of padding in that movie was such a weird attempt to remind you that without these brave horrific abusive monstrous fascists we'd all be speaking Farsi right now instead of Ancient Greek.

Did Miller come in for the script?

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Who's to blame for 300 going from like an acceptable wide-screen myth comic that amounted to "300! It happened like they said! Spartans were COOL"

to like a really weird set of veiled political arguments that amounted to "Greek horrific slavery was so noble it was the only thing that stood against the tide of Persian not horrifically enslaving 90% of the population and saved western civilization the Persians were monsters"

Like every bit of padding in that movie was such a weird attempt to remind you that without these brave horrific abusive monstrous fascists we'd all be speaking Farsi right now instead of Ancient Greek.

Did Miller come in for the script?

Yeah, there's really no reason to ever have any love for the Spartans. Fuck those guys.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Its actually kind of funny, because to the Persians, Greece was just not that significant.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Thermapylae was kind of a failure from most points of view except from a propaganda perspective and didn't do much to stop the Persians from ravaging the countryside. The whole being outnumbered thing doesn't mean much when the entire point was to be at a strategically impregnable position.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Thermopylae
    Thermopylae is arguably the most famous battle in European ancient history, repeatedly referenced in ancient, recent, and contemporary culture. In Western culture at least, it is the Greeks who are lauded for their performance in battle.[110] However, within the context of the Persian invasion, Thermopylae was undoubtedly a defeat for the Greeks.[111] It seems clear that the Greek strategy was to hold off the Persians at Thermopylae and Artemisium;[61] whatever they may have intended, it was presumably not their desire to surrender all of Boeotia and Attica to the Persians.[61] The Greek position at Thermopylae, despite being massively out-numbered, was near-impregnable.[89] If the position had been held for even slightly longer, the Persians might have had to retreat for lack of food and water.[62] Thus, despite the heavy losses, forcing the pass was a Persian victory, strategically speaking.[89] Though the successful retreat of the bulk of the Greek troops, was in its own sense a victory as well. But the battle itself had showed that free men though few in number were willing to do anything for victory against the invaders. The defeat at Thermopylae had turned Leonidas and the men under his command into martyrs. This boosted the morale of all Greek soldiers in the Second Persian invasion.[89]

It is sometimes stated that Thermopylae was a Pyrrhic victory for the Persians,[112][113] that is, one in which the victor is as damaged by the battle as the defeated party. However, there is no suggestion by Herodotus that this was the effect of the Battle of Thermopylae on the Persian forces. Furthermore, this idea ignores the fact that the Persians would, in the aftermath of Thermopylae, conquer the majority of Greece,[114] and the fact that Persians were still fighting in Greece a year later.[115] Alternatively, the argument is sometimes advanced that the last stand at Thermopylae was a successful delaying action that gave the Greek navy time to prepare for the Battle of Salamis.c[›] However, compared to the probable time (about one month) between Thermopylae and Salamis, the time bought by the last stand at Thermopylae was negligible.[116] Furthermore, this idea also neglects the fact that a Greek navy was fighting at Artemisium during the Battle of Thermopylae, incurring losses in the process.[117] George Cawkwell suggests that the gap between Thermopylae and Salamis was caused by Xerxes systematically reducing Greek opposition in Phocis and Boeotia, and not as a result of the battle of Thermopylae; thus, as a delaying action, Thermopylae was insignificant compared to Xerxes's own procrastination.[114] Far from labeling Thermopylae as a pyrrhic victory, modern academic treatises on the Greco-Persian Wars tend to emphasise the success of Xerxes in breaching the formidable Greek position, and in the subsequent conquest of the majority of Greece. For instance Cawkwell states that "he was successful on both land and sea, and the Great Invasion began with a brilliant success... Xerxes had every reason to congratulate himself,"[118] while Lazenby describes the Greek defeat as "disastrous".[111]

Really though, any attempt to project the present onto the past should be met with a summary execution.

• Options
    edited August 2014

The movie kinda calls doubts into the whether "it happened like they said" thing when the framing device reveals that the whole story is literally propaganda, the hyperstylsed visuals add to that too.

Jeedan on
  • Options
    Jeedan wrote: »

The production behind Blade Trinity was apparantly hilarious and had to be written around the fact that Wesley Snipes literally couldnt be bothered to show up on screen or do any acting beyond passive aggessively doing the bare minimum required.

http://snipeseyes.ytmnd.com/

Snipes not being there was the least of that film's problems. It'd been terrible if he had acted in those scenes. It's also not like Snipes was doing it without a reason, both sides were stupid behind the scenes.

• Options
    HuuHuu Registered User regular

Jeedan wrote: »

The movie kinda calls doubts into the whether "it happened like they said" thing when the framing device reveals that the whole story is literally propaganda, the hyperstylsed visuals add to that too.

300 always worked really well for me cos of the framing device. The whole movie is essentially a motivational/propaganda speech.

The second one did not however. Despite Eva Green's boobs.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Now I want to see a Roman 300. Or a third one where Greeks are the enemy and try to use the flashy bullshit (Can't hold up the phalanx my ass) against a Roman formation and get stabbed for their trouble.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Avengers works in a vacuum because the "protagonist" can be viewed as the Avengers as a collective team. The team has a distinct arc, the team has growth, the team overcomes its hurdles to save the day.

BvS could absolutely do that. It might be a little rougher, because by the time Avengers hit theaters the teammates had been internalized by the audience via cultural osmosis. Everyone knew about the Hulk and Thor et al even if they'd never seen a movie, so the film could just obliquely mention them and BAM, the audience is now prepared for awesomeness. Also, as I think I mentioned in the MCU thread, Avengers was a movie made of moments - distinct visceral thrills that work almost devoid of context. You see Hulk smash Loki at the end, that shit is fucking awesome even if you take it out of the movie. It's just fun. Avengers is pure popcorn-bliss, the best kind of smartly-crafted mindless action. It works best as a simultaneous capstone on every other Marvel film released to date, subtly furthering character arcs (Cap's fish-out-of-water schtick, Thor's embrace of his role as humanity's protector, etc) and setting up future plots (both IM3 and Cap2 are heavily dependent on stuff that happens in Avengers). But even if you just watch Avengers by itself, that shit is just fun.

And BvS could so have done this if crafted by people who understand what they're trying to do and what it will take. Hell, even just a stinger at the end of MoS would've indicated some attempt at continuity and a larger universe. And maybe it can, I guess. If I was in charge of BvS and tasked with establishing the DCU, the first thing I would do is get super drunk and cry a lot. But the second thing I would do is write BvS as occurring some period of time after MoS, probably a good ten years or so. And during this period, a lot has changed, all of it driven by Superman's sudden appearance on Earth. Maybe some sea god who has lain dormant for years decides that all this Kryptonian shit is a threat to his sea buddies and starts making appearances. A crazy rich dude decides that he needs to start protecting folks so he dresses up as a bat and punches some motherfuckers. A woman from the planet Amazonia followed Kal-El to Earth and wants to get involved.

That actually sounds like a cool opening to the movie. Crank the original Superman theme and show Superman being a hero (Lois' impression of him perhaps). Then use the Man of Steel dour music and show some of the damage of his fights or whatever (Batman or perhaps Luthor's impression of him). Build up this conflict to the point where the audience can be excited that Superman ISN'T a dick and he's grown a lot from Man of Steel.

And then introduce the Justice League in a third movie, you needed that whole movie just to rehabilitate this version of the DC movie universe...

• Options
    They really should do an MoS sequel before introducing other characters, even Snyder said that he was setting things up for an MoS 2 when he was making MoS.

A big problem is that there's no indication of any super heroes, super powers, or any sci-fi or magical/supernatural stuff in the MoS world. It's implied that the MoS world is a lot like the real world and that Superman is the first and only super powered/supernatural entity to ever show up in the world. It's going to be hard to introduce so many superheroes so quickly in that kind of world.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    As always with DC movies, the burden of the magic will fall upon the shoulders of the audience.

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Here's how I would do BvS:

Use one of the dozens of B and C list alien invaders in the DC universe as the main antagonist. Have Batman be basically Nolan-Batman, just not explicitly in continuity. Superman and Batman fight for whatever reason, but then aliens invade and they have to work together. If you want to make Wonder Woman a big subplot, you can do that, and have like Themyscira be important because reasons. Then just during the big climax, you cut to the aliens also invading Atlantis and Central City and whatever and have like... 30 second cameos of other heroes fighting. This basically reveals the existence of hidden civilizations like the Amazons and Atlantis to the world, as well as forcing superheros like Flash into operating in a big public fashion making them a "we saw this guy fight aliens on national TV" thing instead of "here's so grainy Youtube video of a blurry tornado knocking over bank robbers".

Bam, you are all set for a proper Justice League movie. If Batman and Supes are fighting over like... level of responsibility or how best to do this whole superhero thing, you can even have thematic continuity: in the end they decide a public organization like the League is needed.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    Harbringer197Harbringer197 Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Here's how I would do BvS:

Use one of the dozens of B and C list alien invaders in the DC universe as the main antagonist. Have Batman be basically Nolan-Batman, just not explicitly in continuity. Superman and Batman fight for whatever reason, but then aliens invade and they have to work together. If you want to make Wonder Woman a big subplot, you can do that, and have like Themyscira be important because reasons. Then just during the big climax, you cut to the aliens also invading Atlantis and Central City and whatever and have like... 30 second cameos of other heroes fighting. This basically reveals the existence of hidden civilizations like the Amazons and Atlantis to the world, as well as forcing superheros like Flash into operating in a big public fashion making them a "we saw this guy fight aliens on national TV" thing instead of "here's so grainy Youtube video of a blurry tornado knocking over bank robbers".

Bam, you are all set for a proper Justice League movie. If Batman and Supes are fighting over like... level of responsibility or how best to do this whole superhero thing, you can even have thematic continuity: in the end they decide a public organization like the League is needed.

Thats sounds like a good idea how did you come up with that?? ...Hey wait a second thats the plot for the first three DCAU justice league episodes.

• Options
    It would be interesting if they went with the Nolan-Batman since his goal was to create an incorruptible symbol to inspire people. Maybe they'll end up having Batman inspiring Superman to become a better hero.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    It would be interesting if they went with the Nolan-Batman since his goal was to create an incorruptible symbol to inspire people. Maybe they'll end up having Batman inspiring Superman to become a better hero.

#1 - the Nolan movies couldn't fit in a world of super powered individuals.

#2 - Batman inspiring Superman to do good would be horrible. This will probably be the route they go considering how utterly non - inspiring they made Supes in Man of Steel.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

#1 - the Nolan movies couldn't fit in a world of super powered individuals.

#2 - Batman inspiring Superman to do good would be horrible. This will probably be the route they go considering how utterly non - inspiring they made Supes in Man of Steel.

Alternatively, they'll try to make Superman the inspiring, positive guy in this movie, and it will seem really out of whack when he's giving Batman advice on how to lighten up and not be so serious all the time.

• Options
    MuddypawsMuddypaws Lactodorum, UKRegistered User regular
    My hope is an opening credits montage of Supes being all awesome and being taken to heart by the public. Front page newspapers recounting his heroic deeds interspersed with clips of same, posing with backdrop of US flag, shaking hands with president, etc.

This discussion has been closed.