As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Total War: Discussion] Total WAAAAAAAAGH WARHAMMER!

• Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    You'll suffer a big negative hit on conquering a city which fades after several turns. And when you conquer a city within the same province any other cities will take a hit too public order.

When conquering another nation you'll suffer a negative bonus to public order for being a different faction/culture until its converted to your culture.

Public order is shared on a provincial level and building the right buildings and not upgrading others too high will help

Certain agents can help as well as edicts

And you should seriously consider not taxing new additions

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    So back on the one weekend when Rome 2 had the challenge against Company of Heroes 2 to see which would get free DLC (we lost :( ), in order to help the cause I started a new game on easy where I was manually fighting each and every battle - no auto-resolves. I recently decided to pick that back up, stick with it to get the achievement for doing so, and get an economic victory because I hate myself. I've almost got every single one of the requirements.....except the income, where I'm only a little over 1/3rd of the denarii/turn requirement. How the hell are you supposed to get to 90,000 denarii/turn while maintaining the necessary number of trade partners?

• Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    So back on the one weekend when Rome 2 had the challenge against Company of Heroes 2 to see which would get free DLC (we lost :( ), in order to help the cause I started a new game on easy where I was manually fighting each and every battle - no auto-resolves. I recently decided to pick that back up, stick with it to get the achievement for doing so, and get an economic victory because I hate myself. I've almost got every single one of the requirements.....except the income, where I'm only a little over 1/3rd of the denarii/turn requirement. How the hell are you supposed to get to 90,000 denarii/turn while maintaining the necessary number of trade partners?

I wish I had advice. But yeah, the win conditions are jacked up across the board.

I really want to go back and play Shogun II, but after playing sieges without auto-scalable walls I don't think I can go back. It's just not as much fun. It's really my one big hang-up with the game.

Also theres a mod in the workshop that adds a handful of medieval units. Added them to the British roster. Currently macing and lancing things in the face. I'd be down for Medieval 2. Although I'm sure that Warhammer Fantasy game they're working on will be very good.

I'd also be down for a WW1 game.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Carthage came to me last night begging for a peace treaty. I managed to empty their coffers and delay the war long enough so I could finish off Libya. I guess I will have to have a 2nd Punic war after all. My war is going far better than the REAL Punic war. Not once had they managed to take my cities. The AI seems to be pretty smart about not going after cities that are heavily garrisoned.

• Options
    This game really needs that Civ feature that reminds you to take action on idle units. I had a spy die of old age, half-way across the map because I forgot about her for half the game.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    This game really needs that Civ feature that reminds you to take action on idle units. I had a spy die of old age, half-way across the map because I forgot about her for half the game.

She died doing what she loved, being unnoticed in foreign territory.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    In case anyone else decides they hate themselves and want to try what I did, a couple quick notes to help you along: income will increase significantly as you get to the later civil techs (as expected), but the big things are to make sure to upgrade your provincial capital buildings, and to convert your allies into client states by buying them off.

I went from having a ton of allies (since I was going economic/trade route) to having a ton of client states that were paying me tribute and suddenly it wasn't a big deal. You have to maintain trustworthiness to get to that level, and sometimes you're paying a TON, but then you get them as a trade partner (so you can maintain that) AND you're getting an annual tribute from them.

Also, this game seriously needs a way for you to demand for people to make peace with one of your client states or something. Hoy.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    In case anyone else decides they hate themselves and want to try what I did, a couple quick notes to help you along: income will increase significantly as you get to the later civil techs (as expected), but the big things are to make sure to upgrade your provincial capital buildings, and to convert your allies into client states by buying them off.

I went from having a ton of allies (since I was going economic/trade route) to having a ton of client states that were paying me tribute and suddenly it wasn't a big deal. You have to maintain trustworthiness to get to that level, and sometimes you're paying a TON, but then you get them as a trade partner (so you can maintain that) AND you're getting an annual tribute from them.

Also, this game seriously needs a way for you to demand for people to make peace with one of your client states or something. Hoy.

I have two client states that are at war with each other (they were fighting before I cliented them)...it's pretty annoying because they both keep asking me to join in since they can't reach other (Lusitani and Nervii).

• Options
  • Options
    No. Was that in any of the other TW games? I don't remember it.

• Options
    I have been watching a bunch of documentaries on ancient Rome. It's 150BC in my game and I am WAY behind. I finally finished off Syracuse on the island of Sicily. I have been conquering my way up Gallia. According to the maps, I need to start making my way into Hispania. I was so eager to take out Carthage I basically forgot all about that area.

I had a pretty epic victory last night. I get ambushed by a full 20 stack Gallic army. All I had was a 10 stack of upgraded units. I had just enough time to send all my spearmen into square formation before they descended on me. My horsemen were the only units fast enough to get out of the way so I sent them into some trees to flank. My main army was holding their own in a rather dense battle, but massively outnumbered. That was until I got my horsemen in place. I had them wedge up and charge the Gaulic flanks. God their armies just fell apart.

Probably my favorite unit in the game so far are the Wardogs. There's nothing like seeing 100 giant-ass Mastiffs charging a line of lightly armored bowmen. They are devastating if I can get them around the flanks.

• Options
    125bc and I am still no where NEAR what the real Rome was at, territory-wise. I keep running into multiple 20 stacks around cities that require time and effort to break down. I don't think I will ever be a master of this game. I am sure many of you guys could have the game beat by than.

On the plus side, all providences are in the positive for public order and I am making buku bucks. Tonight I plan to finally finish securing Hispania. With that out of the way, I might try to march up to Britania. One of these days I will have to get around to dealing with Grease and the rest of their Hellenistic rabble. I have been trying to play nice with that greek asshole all game. I have things he wants, but he keeps refusing to trade with me. I tried again for the last time, last night. Still he tells me his people are far too sophisticated for our goods. We will see how sophisticated he feels with his head on a pike

• Options
    The key for me was to never attack a fortified city with anything less than two armies, at least until late game when you have useful siege units.

An undefended, non-walled city should fall to a single full stack without a siege.

But yeah, it is really hard to expand at the "real" speed in the early-mid game. Late game gets kinda nuts once you get rolling, though.

• Options
    I had the most epic victory last night.

So I am at war with Grease, Sparta and their allies. Sparta had fallen and I was just about to take the last greek city on the map. All of a sudden out of nowhere, some filthy barbarians decide to get greedy and declare war on me. They had been begging me for money for the last dozen turns but I kept turning them down. Anyway, dude rolls into smallish city that had had just the local garrison defending it. He sends 1200 units against my groups of 2 legionaries, some 2 javelinmen, and 2 plebs. The little battle force estimator was probably 80% red. AI comes at me from the front with 4 melee units, and backdoors me with a couple of ranged. I manage to hold the backdoor off with the plebs but they ended up running off. It was just enough time to push back the 4 units attacking from the front. I took some pretty heavy losses, but somehow managed to force everyone into a route. The next fucking turn, asshole is back with a smaller stack. This time he came right at my front line After turning back his first wave, he just stood back plinking at me with ranged units. My ranged units ran out of ammo and my 2 legionaries hit red health at about the same time. I charged and they just started running. The attacking army was exhausted by the time they hit me, so that must have been how we pushed them back. Casualties were high, but dmanit, we won the day. My poor plebs were totally wiped out.

• Options
    Ha, nice.

When that happened to me, I just waited for the AI to come after one of my walled cities and slaughtered all of them at the gates. Helps that they didn't bother to bring siege weapons.

• Options
    Balitas with Explosive rounds are probably my most favorite unit in the game. I absolutely LOVE wiping out half an army before I even send attack units. I had a 40vs40 battle last night where I took only 100 casualties vs 2500 on the defenders. I had turned back half their units before they could even make contact with my JAV line. I had my Javs set to flaming and managed to turn back half of whoever was left. Only a few units made it though and just wiped themselves out on my lines.

• Options
    I think I have caught up to roughly where Rome was at 100BC. I ended up expanding north before I expanded east. I have much of Gaulia and all of Britania.

Had another AMAZING assault on a city tonight. Deployed artillery ships on at sea and balista on the land. Kills, 2900. Deaths, 40.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Hi thread

Total War Rome 2 is currently $20

I have heard it is awful but it's also the only game in the franchise I don't own, I love this series and have been playing since Shogun 1.

Is Rome 2 worth buying yet?

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    Hi thread

I have heard it is awful but it's also the only game in the franchise I don't own, I love this series and have been playing since Shogun 1.

Whoever said it is awful us not correct.

It's fun.

It's more interesting combatwise and the overall worldmap than Shogun and I spent way too much time on shogun.

• Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    If you enjoy TW games it's totally worth $20. It's got it's warts for sure, but it's still a solid game. With the right mods it's very enjoyable. I'm using Divide et Impera and a few other little ones right now and it's pretty close to Europa Barbarorum level goodness IMO. Assuming you used and liked EB.

Fleeb on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Hi thread

Compared to every other Total War? No.

It still sucks, especially compared to Shogun 2.

Wait for something lower, like $5.

Or better yet, support Darth Vader of Darthmod fame by buying Ultimate General: Gettysburg, and at least somewhat insure a little competition in the historical RTT genre so CA has less incentive to half-ass the Warhammer game they're working on. Like they did with Rome 2.

UG:G is only $10 right now in Early Access.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    I don't know what darthmod is, even though I've been playing total war games since Shogun 1.. I've uh.. been playing them sans mods

is that like.. bad?

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Rome 2 was tons of fun but I haven't really gotten into other Total War games. I didn't have much fun until I started the Grand Campaign. It took me so long to get a handle on the combat mechanics and even still, I often took abhorrent casualties in battles I should have had no trouble winning. But than you have that battle where all the stars align. You setup perfect formations, they move just how you want them to and you come away from a battle having taken only minimal casualties. Artillery for both land and sea battles are pretty much required. Just watch out for that Friendly Fire.

• Options
    MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    Rome II is good. I think people were initially disappointed when it was basically more of the same. It came out with some bugs (since patched for the most part), the AI has the same strengths and weaknesses that it always has, imho, the graphics are really good, there are load times that go a little longer than you'd like or are used to, there are a ton of different cultures you can play as with significant differences in combat style, etc.

It's a Total War game, and it's not radically different from the small evolutionary changes they've been making from game to game. It's good, for my money, at $20. I've got over a hundred hours with it. Mods are definitely recommended, especially since Steam makes it so easy (and I'll plug Divide et Impera here too).

If you don't like the Total War model, this won't change you mind. If you like the Total War model, you probably already own it. If you haven't played a Total War game and want to, or if you're interested in the period, this is a fine one to cut your teeth on, especially for $20.

• Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    I don't know what darthmod is, even though I've been playing total war games since Shogun 1.. I've uh.. been playing them sans mods

is that like.. bad?

Oh man, you've been missing out. Mods really improve the experience with just about any TW game, they tend to fix some bugs and give a little boost to historical accuracy. Europa Barbarorum or Rome Total Realism for RTW, Stainless Steel for MTW2, Darthmod for Empire and I guess Shogun (I haven't played Shogun) and Divide et Impera or Radious for R2TW. Must-haves, IMO.

Fleeb on
  • Options
    mastertheheromasterthehero Professional Video Editor & Book Author Registered User regular
    Massena wrote: »
    Rome II is good. I think people were initially disappointed when it was basically more of the same. It came out with some bugs (since patched for the most part), the AI has the same strengths and weaknesses that it always has, imho, the graphics are really good, there are load times that go a little longer than you'd like or are used to, there are a ton of different cultures you can play as with significant differences in combat style, etc.

It's a Total War game, and it's not radically different from the small evolutionary changes they've been making from game to game. It's good, for my money, at $20. I've got over a hundred hours with it. Mods are definitely recommended, especially since Steam makes it so easy (and I'll plug Divide et Impera here too).

If you don't like the Total War model, this won't change you mind. If you like the Total War model, you probably already own it. If you haven't played a Total War game and want to, or if you're interested in the period, this is a fine one to cut your teeth on, especially for $20.

Massena, I have to disagree with you there.

When Rome II came out it WAS different from a Total War Game in that it went BACKWARDS after the advances made in Shogun. Visually, the game wasn't as impressive and took several steps back in terms of music, unit cards, and definitely the obnoxious overgrown UI. The intro was terrible, lame music, lame edits, it was just horrible.

Then the gameplay, oh the gameplay.

The AI was non-functional, they didn't siege, the global unrest was frustrating to figure out and manage, the family tree was pretty much wiped out, and the tech tree was underwhelming.

Rome II was a huge step backwards and even though I've now added mods to improve the game, I still hate it. It's not better than Shogun II and it doesn't even come close to capturing the magic of the original Rome: Total War.

Quite frankly, this game has put me off on the series until they stop milking us with blood pack DLC's and buggy product launches.

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I can see why someone might think the game is more of the same. Most people play at normal difficulties and do the standard "build up a massive army that can't lose no matter what it does an just run through the map" strategy. Which is fine, but if you're looking for a challenge and try to do anything harder than that, then the bugs, the glaringly stupid AI (both at the tactical and strategic levels), and the somehow more onerous controls come into play.

The Rome II team decided that the game design needed to be completely rebuilt from the ground up, but then somehow threw the baby out with the bathwater. The only thing I can think of that would be similar is if the Civ team decided to go with the hex redesign and then opted to allow units to stack.

• Options
    This may sound like heresy, but I really enjoyed Rome 2. It's a good entry point into the series. I could never get into the total war series before this one.

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    It's not heresy. They've fixed pretty much all the bugs and improved the game a ton, and have also released plenty of free DLC. Angry whiners are always the loudest part of the population, people having a fun time don't dedicate their lives to complaining on video game forums, and they also don't feel the need to try to constantly "disprove" people who have a different opinion than they do. Rome 2 has some problems still but the call for a revolution every time a game releases with bugs is pretty laughable, but I guess some people just have a lot of time on their hands.

I think the game is ahead of the curve in some areas but maybe not as good as previous TW games in other areas. I've put so many hours into every TW. There's really no perfect one, each has some things you may or may not like and each seems to do something better than the other. They all offer some pretty different options for play and they all have their strengths, so much so that I can spend a lot of time playing one and then go to another one and not feel like I'm playing more of the same.

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I hope the Warhammer game (Let's just call it Warhammer: Total War) they're making will be more of a mixture between Shogun 2 and Medieval 2's mechanics then a reskin of Rome 2. All Warhammer fantasy PC wargames have been kind of meh.

I also hope they are making a new engine or at least improving melee combat parts of Warscape to feel more heavy like Med 2 for Warhammer. Mostly melee scenarios only really worked in Shogun 2 because of the nature of Sengoku warfare, plus some stereotypical cinematic tropes like Samurai fighting 1v1. I don't think it was a coincidence that Fall of the Samurai felt like a big improvement in combat for me. Fall of the Samurai just used Warscape's greatest strength, ranged combat, to a higher degree and the game benefited from it.

• Options
    DockenDocken Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    I hope the Warhammer game (Let's just call it Warhammer: Total War) they're making will be more of a mixture between Shogun 2 and Medieval 2's mechanics then a reskin of Rome 2. All Warhammer fantasy PC wargames have been kind of meh.

You dare besmirch the good name of Dark Omen and Shadow of the Horned Rat!?

• Options
    Docken wrote: »

You dare besmirch the good name of Dark Omen and Shadow of the Horned Rat!?

All I'm saying is that much like Batman vs Superman games (And movies), 40k has been doing consistently well on the "Good" department than Fantasy.

• Options
    There was a Warhammer Fantasy RTS several years back, Mark of Chaos I think. It's funny, it's basically a Total War Lite title that tried to clone the battles but fell short on them (and most other things) and now the company they copied has the license and will be making another strategy game for Warhammer. Can't wait to see what they do with it, honestly. Hopefully it's their next release.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Frei wrote: »
    There was a Warhammer Fantasy RTS several years back, Mark of Chaos I think. It's funny, it's basically a Total War Lite title that tried to clone the battles but fell short on them (and most other things) and now the company they copied has the license and will be making another strategy game for Warhammer. Can't wait to see what they do with it, honestly. Hopefully it's their next release.

Mark of Chaos was actually kind of fun, I thought. I've been clamoring for a Warhammer / WH40k: Total War for years though, can't wait to see what CA come up with.

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    So, some pretty cool Shogun 2 modding news.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?660520-gt-gt-gt-Download-lt-lt-lt-Morning-Sun-Version-1-0
    3nku9lungezq.jpg

What this means babies is that you can now fight against or play as Korea in the Korean peninsula or Japan. Later, they will be adding the Chinese Ming Dynasty as another faction.

So this basically turns Shogun 2 into Shogun 2: Imjin War

Kadoken on
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Is it wrong that I yearn for the days of Medieval Total War and my lovable, unbreakable Teutonic Knights?
    Calvary that was so super heavy, rock 'ard, and badass that it could crush through a pikeman unit?

Oh the surprise on my friend's face when I drove hard through his middle, broke it open, and then let my light calvary slay the entirety of his archers...
    Almost he could have won, but he would have had to stack two rows deep of pikeman units instead of one.

It wasn't a clean victory though, I lost 30 of my 50 Teutonics and those guys are worth hundreds of archers or tens of swordmen... but they never broke or waned morale.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    We might be getting back to something similar with Warhammer.

Hopefully on a new melee focused engine.

And a campaign map and mechanics that don't shit for the birds.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    So, following the patch that made sieges much, much better, the beta for the next major patch is up - this one addresses things like politics, regional importance, building chains, etc. They've brought back a system or two from Shogun 2 and they've made it so natural resources are more important in regards to your military and all that. Civil wars are also no longer a given, and the way you play your politics matters now. They also announced the Emperor edition of Rome 2, which is really just a renaming with all the free DLC they released packaged in it. People that already own the game get upgraded to it when it comes out automatically along with the Augustsus Campaign DLC coming out along with it.

The game had a bumpy start when it released as most of us into the series noticed, but they've pretty aggressively worked to improve it and have taken feedback into account. Obviously, you can't please everyone but at this point I can say I'm pleased with every area of the game, especially with this latest patch addressing politics and regional importance (and also naval battles). As of now I've only really put time into a few battles, but battles are slower and units do not die as quickly. Also, units with javelins can now fire them at will instead of having to charge to throw them.

Here's the patch notes for the latest big patch:

http://wiki.totalwar.com/index.php?title=Total_War_ROME_II:_Patch_15

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Also Europa Barbarorum II, for Medieval II Total War, just came out.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    What this means babies is that you can now fight against or play as Korea in the Korean peninsula or Japan. Later, they will be adding the Chinese Ming Dynasty as another faction.

So this basically turns Shogun 2 into Shogun 2: Imjin War

Neat.

I like the idea of including the Korean peninsula, though I assume that graphic is more a demonstration of province/castle town layouts than to suggest that whole of Korea was unified at the time (I know it was a vassal state of the Ming, but I assume that would still allow for a bunch of competing clans).

I imagine this would also mean recording a lot of loud Korean shouting to replace the loud Japanese shouting, but I imagine someone's working on that.

Of course I've always hoped for a Total War: Ming for ages, but as modeled like this--it does introduce us to the same dilemmas we had in Napoleon and Empire--namely, how do you account for a massive faction that is largely off-map. One super huge town intended to represent a chunk of their military capabilities? Or is there a historic precedence for this?

This discussion has been closed.