Options

[HYPE LEVEL: OMEGA] Legend of Korra GAME DEVELOPED BY PLATINUM, RELEASE 2014

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Actually, I'm surprised about the counter system.

All the early previews made it look too lenient.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I'm happy about the counter system.

All the early previews made it look to lenient.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Well it uh

It definitely ain't

There's one kick attack by the base-level Chi Blocker guy, in green, that I am simply not fast enough to counter. Period. Can't do it. Comes out way too quick, even when I'm expecting it.

Granted that just means I don't wait for the counter, and pound in his face before he gets the chance to attack

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    the combat is super platinum

it has huge amounts of dna from revengeance in it, including lots of in combat events and qtes a la god hand

it has revengeances core combo mechanic with simple light and heavy combos, with no bayo style mega trees

a bit of w101 in the certain attacks needing certain defensive responses

its all very much the baseline feature set without a huge amount of expansion atm

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Well it uh

It definitely ain't

There's one kick attack by the base-level Chi Blocker guy, in green, that I am simply not fast enough to counter. Period. Can't do it. Comes out way too quick, even when I'm expecting it.

Granted that just means I don't wait for the counter, and pound in his face before he gets the chance to attack

yeah this one super caught me out

there's a pretty clear consistent gap between flash and impact for most of their moves, then they have a pretty fuck you timing on one kick

enemy benders not having red flashes is interesting too

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Game has dodge offset.

You can switch powers mid combo seamlessly.

For example, air air air does two punches then a spinny kick (I have no powers but the animations are identical)
    Earth earth just does two slow punchs

Earth earth switch air does two slow punch then airs spinny kick. Which if i recall from the start of the game is a fatter attack

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Switching forms cancels basic combo recovery. You know the lag time at the end of your attacks. Heavy too.

• Options
    You can cancel to any bending form btw for that combo move to work it doesn't have to be the next one. It's super hard for the quick attacks but pretty easy for earth.

Like I thought, the complexity in this is in switching your bending around.

Doing fire's two hit attack then airs last two kicks is decimating these basic green enemies in comparison to a normal air combo.

• Options
    I don't even have any bending powers and its already clear this game aint as simple as yall make it sound. Each basic combo has four different enders.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I uh

I really like how they have a visual justification related to the cartoon for why Korra can do mid-air combos

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    You can cancel to any bending form btw for that combo move to work it doesn't have to be the next one. It's super hard for the quick attacks but pretty easy for earth.

Doing fire's two hit attack then airs last two kicks is decimating these basic green enemies in comparison to a normal air combo.

This is why its hard for me to trust reviewer opinions on games like these.

Most will never get pass the surface level then call it shallow.

• Options
    Here

Earth earth switch fire switch air

Earths two punchs, then fires air spin kick, then airs final flippy kick.

You guys think that's simple?

• Options
    Also works the other way

earth earth water fire

games got bend switch combos

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Dragkonias wrote: »

no platinum game is shallow

thats how they design

always for expert play

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular

thats how they design

always for expert play

If this is for experts, it's a weird choice given it's based on a cartoon on Nickelodeon which is primarily aimed at kids.

• Options
    Renzo wrote: »

thats how they design

always for expert play

If this is for experts, it's a weird choice given it's based on a cartoon on Nickelodeon which is primarily aimed at kids.

not what i mean

they make combat systems that still present new things to the expert player after many hours of play

the combat system is perfectly easy to get in to - it is just full of things that only become apparent after a bit of investigation. it is why platinum have such a rabid fanbase - you spend time on a platinum game, and you are always rewarded

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »

thats how they design

always for expert play

not what i mean

they make combat systems that still present new things to the expert player after many hours of play

the combat system is perfectly easy to get in to - it is just full of things that only become apparent after a bit of investigation. it is why platinum have such a rabid fanbase - you spend time on a platinum game, and you are always rewarded

Ah, I gotcha. Yeah, that's true.

• Options
    You can use the dpad in the naga minigame.

Also holy shit do you need to do this when naga speeds the hell up.

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    Boy "Too easy" sure isn't a criticism this game can get.

I'm playing with the "double SP/half attack" talisman. I think the money I spend on healing potions may be out-doing the double sp

• Options
    That minigame was actually fun.

I want to do that whole thing at full speed.

• Options
    Korra's room has the combo trees. That's handy.

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    Ok one other valid criticism:

DO I HAVE TO EQUIP ITEMS IF I WANT TO USE THEM?!

DO I KORRA?!

IT IS UNCLEAR

• Options
    HOLDING B DOES A TAUNT

I LOVE YOU TOO PLATINUM

• Options
    Khavall wrote: »

DO I KORRA?!

IT IS UNCLEAR

passive items only work when they are on the d-pad i believe

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Korra's room has the combo trees. That's handy.

"I have to equip items if I want to use them!"

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Khavall wrote: »

DO I KORRA?!

IT IS UNCLEAR

She's the Avatar. You gotta deal with it.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    she sometimes says "DEAL WITH IT" at the end of combos

i was like ok yes quite

also there seems to be either a bug or a weird bit of functionality where if you cancel an ordinary move with the b ranged water execution the execution sometimes does basically zero damage instead of 1-shotting them. it seems to be inheriting the damage of the cancelled moves in some cases

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Up up down down square with the costume selected will unlock the spirit korra costume. Can't find the code for the other one.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Hopefully Chip Cheezum makes a video for this so people will know how to play.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Oh and in the shop right right left left square to unlock the shadow fist.

• Options
    So honestly my biggest complaints are lack of flashing on benders, the chi blocker's kick, and the earth bender in general since I don't seem able to counter any of his attacks.

But oh do I love smashing people with my rocks.

• Options
    You can dodge out of his smack down combo before he lands the second hit.

Also you know the water dodge attack? Well if you make ice then do it she throws ice shards.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    I'm digging this a lot. I mean, it's clearly a budget title, but holy shit does the bending have nice weight to it.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
  • Options
    I love countering bikes so much.

Also health upgrades are unlocked via leveling your bending.

And does anyone know what it is that occasionally causes an enemy to freeze when using water bending? I haven't bought the freezing scroll yet but froze a mech a few times.

• Options
    Might be one of the ends of the basic combos?

Still exploring the system. The dodge button being on the right instead of the left is throwing me off. Anyone have a quick way to kill mechs, or is countering with earthbending the way to go?

• Options
    Heavy x 2 will freeze. You have to buy it. Unless there's another way to gain via levelling.

• Options
    Heavy x 2 will freeze. You have to buy it. Unless there's another way to gain via levelling.

It's something else cause I know I haven't bought it. Only bought the ice shards and ability to kick rocks. And even those were after I saw it happen.

• Options
    Also my hands now feel like gnarled roots. This game is punishing.

• Options
    Love the way the earthbending feels, but if water is what takes down mechatanks, then water it shall be.