Options

Rocket [chat]coon

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    This would be the best subject of the next superman movie:

df542e4d2d6b50338908dd6e94f5ebb1.jpg

covers with words on them seem so dated, like annunciation prints with the ugly ass text bubbles in early christian art

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Mmm, nothing like a drug cycle to remind you that your personal opinion of yourself is significantly dependent on limbic dopamine activity.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    There's more joy and fun in the five minute montage of Christopher Reeve arresting criminals in his first night on patrol in Metropolis than in the whole of Man of Steel. God, so dour, so frowny.

Also Gene Hackman saying 'Otisberg' in increasing tones of disgust and outrage is one of my favourite things.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    The best thing the new Snyder Superman film could do, without a doubt:

show Superman either taking flak from the public, or beating himself up with guilt, over the civilian casualties from the battle with Zod

and he swears to himself that he'll never let that happen again

and show him lose a fight early in the movie because he has to focus his attention on saving innocents

superman 2: the aftermath

wherein superman spends most of his time flying between court appearances in various countries where he's trying to answer for his atrocities

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    One criticism of Man of Steel I never got is that it's Superman's fault the fight in Metropolis probably killed so many people. Like he had any control over where that was gonna happen? Zod wanted to kill all humans, it's not like he could politely ask for a change of venues or anything.

When you compare the fight in Man of Steel to the Avengers it stands out a little more. A fair amount of time in the big, city smashing fight in the Avengers is devoted to the Avengers trying to minimize civilian casualties. Hell, most of Cap's screen time in that fight is exactly that. So yes, in that fight people likely died but there was clearly a heroic effort to prevent it. I don't recall Superman in Man of Steel doing that. It may be that I've just forgotten but it tends to build to the sense that the heroic aspect of Superman is discarded.

He did it, rarely. Under specific circumstances, they had to be right near him for instance.

I haven't rewatched it, so it's likely I just forgot it. It also doesn't help that Synder emphasized the power expended in the city fight. It gives it more of a sense of being brutal which apparently washed away any heroic contrast in my mind.

He does it once, practically under his breath about five people. It just doesn't occur to Snyder or the scriptwriter that he should.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Simone_Martini_and_Lippo_Memmi_-_The_Annunciation_and_Two_Saints_-_WGA15010.jpg

hoursann.jpg
    annunciation2.jpg

Eddy on
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    All Superman ever wanted was for everyone to change their flags to his symbol:

that'll+show+them.jpg

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    One criticism of Man of Steel I never got is that it's Superman's fault the fight in Metropolis probably killed so many people. Like he had any control over where that was gonna happen? Zod wanted to kill all humans, it's not like he could politely ask for a change of venues or anything.

apparently it's a big thing in the comics that superman meticulously plans everything so that the twist at the end of the story was that even though it looks like the big bad has gotten the best of superman, SUPERMAN HAD PLANNED FOR THIS ALL ALONG

you see this a little at the end of superman 2, where he tricks zon + lex luthor to remove their own powers by throwing him in the briar patch.

anyways, the complaint is that superman should have seen this coming and should have somehow moved the fight to some uninhabited place, because that is what superman would do in the comic books

That is not the complaint. At least, I've never ever seen anyone say that. Superman should have maybe tried to move the fight because he's not retarded and knows that two of him going at each other will result in a levelled downtown area and saving the lives of innocents is what he's about.

I hated the movie. Zod was the dumbest guy in the universe. Terraform Earth so he can avoid a few weeks of headaches while he acclimatises and gain flight and laser beam eyes as an upside? Fuckwit.

i thought the point of terraforming earth was that zod was essentially programmed with the specific directive to protect krypton, and all that remained for him was to remake it as close as possible and repopulate it. like, his absolute allegiance to a people and a purpose - in contrast to superman's - was sort of the central theme in the movie.

it's not really clear why it had to be earth and not, say, mars i guess. but you know, it's a superhero movie. it's not like any of them are impossible to poke holes in.

>Getting into extended arguments about comic book movies
    >Playing a lot of Destiny, like a lot of Destiny, like a lot of Destiny
    >Getting mad about Wolverine's backstory

holy shit has anyone checked on Will lately?

is Frankie staying with her parents as Will posts on /r/kotakuinaction and poops in his once beautifully maintained margerita set

im worried about him

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    my favourite part of those old paintings is how everybody is green because the cochineal used in the reds died over time leaving the green underpaint

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    There's more joy and fun in the five minute montage of Christopher Reeve arresting criminals in his first night on patrol in Metropolis than in the whole of Man of Steel. God, so dour, so frowny.

Also Gene Hackman saying 'Otisberg' in increasing tones of disgust and outrage is one of my favourite things.

Stevemarks was talking about this the other night. About how they are trying to keep a gritty tone to keep it consistent with the Nolan movies and the use it to unify it but that it doesn't really work with Superman.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    riemannlives maybe Feral‌

have you bros read any good pop science books recently fit for a 12 year old

i got a tutee who wants to find a couple and most of the ones i read at his age are probably not gonna work

@surrealitycheck‌

My boy (recently turned 13) really liked this book: http://whatif.xkcd.com/book/

Of course A Brief History of Time. Maybe Six Easy Pieces. Anything by Neil Degrasse Tyson (Death By Black Hole, The Pluto Files etc...)

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    The covers that have almost nothing to do with the contents are the best.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited October 2014

I don't know why WB is insistent that humor not be in their movies.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    scheck, apropos of nothing

rehana.jpg

i'm trying to convince chu to join the kurds

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    dc makes movies where the hero murders thousands of people

marvel makes movies where an anthropomorphic machine-gun-toting talking raccoon adjusts his crotch in slow motion

get dunk8d on dc

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Oh hey comic nerds, speaking of evil superman - is Irredeemable any good? I am kinda tempted by the synopsis.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

i got a tutee who wants to find a couple and most of the ones i read at his age are probably not gonna work

surrealitycheck‌

My boy (recently turned 13) really liked this book: http://whatif.xkcd.com/book/

Of course A Brief History of Time. Maybe Six Easy Pieces. Anything by Neil Degrasse Tyson (Death By Black Hole, The Pluto Files etc...)

brief history of time too far i think

i might throw him some maths books too like the history of zero or whatevs

but yeah the whatif book is a really good suggestion

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    they should do a superman story where he's just blind to his privilege

just like, leaving lois's house unlocked

oh yeah not everyone has a secret home in the antarctic that they have to fly to

putting shit on the top shelf where no one else can reach it

sitting on the couch watching tv while the house is in flames OH SHIT I didn't realize y'all were burning

• Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular

Stevemarks was talking about this the other night. About how they are trying to keep a gritty tone to keep it consistent with the Nolan movies and the use it to unify it but that it doesn't really work with Superman.

It was a very bad idea. And we'll be talking about it when they release Wonder Woman, and again if they release The Flash.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    king-3.jpg

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Wash wrote: »

It was a very bad idea. And we'll be talking about it when they release Wonder Woman, and again if they release The Flash.

Dark Barry Allen. No god, no!

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    The best thing the new Snyder Superman film could do, without a doubt:

show Superman either taking flak from the public, or beating himself up with guilt, over the civilian casualties from the battle with Zod

and he swears to himself that he'll never let that happen again

and show him lose a fight early in the movie because he has to focus his attention on saving innocents

superman 2: the aftermath

wherein superman spends most of his time flying between court appearances in various countries where he's trying to answer for his atrocities

They rule that he is Guilty, but he refuses to accept the verdict

Man of Appeal

• Options
  • Options

surrealitycheck‌

brief history of time too far i think

i might throw him some maths books too like the history of zero or whatevs

but yeah the whatif book is a really good suggestion

Asimov's "On Numbers" is a good one

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    You know a concept I really liked. The first half of Handcock.

I thought that story was gonna be a really solid watch. Shit super guy who is almost forced into redemption. And then it spiralled into shit with his origin and the guy's wife.

• Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular

I don't know why WB is insistent that humor not be in their movies.

Some executive is a jaded orphan, and Batman and Superman are his outlets.

"My parents are gone, burn the world!" the franchise

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    why would superman hit a lectern with his super-boot

919UOwT.png
  • Options

Man of Appeal

verdict upheld by higher court

implicates lois to receive lighter sentence

man of squeal

• Options
    also just have some copies of kant's critique of pure reason just strewn about the den

• Options

Man of Appeal

man of squeal

this some david greenglass shit

• Options

Man of Appeal

man of squeal

he fucks his suit up in the wash before a key date

man of teal

• Options
    scheck also give him Principia Mathematica

in the original German

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options

Man of Appeal

man of squeal

after a lengthy prison sentence he has trouble finding steady work and turns to adult films to put food on the table

man of reveal

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    question because I don't and have never read comics

do they retell origins when they start a new ... line or whatever of comics? if a new writer/artist comes in do they do they're own take on it?

watching spiderman become spiderman twice (oh my god so tiring TWO TIMES!!!!!) really doesn't blow my mind or bother me particularly. now, the fact that any given movie is bad is its own issue. but if someone awesome was taking over spiderman or whatever (like snyder taking superman) I am into the idea of watching their take on the origin. or at least, it doesn't seem to me an auto exclude/never watch/hate forever.

Sometimes they do. If they relaunch a book in a new continuity - like Marvel Universe Ultimate Marvel or DC's New 52 - they might tell a new version of the origin story.

They might do an abbreviated version of it. I don't remember which reboot it was (New 52, maybe?) but one of the Superman reboots condensed his origin to literally three large frames. (Edit: oh hey look at that there it is)

Marvel don't do reboots like DC. They do soft reboots mainly and still keep a lot of prior continuity in tact. In the comics the Mavrel universe is still the main universe when it began in the 60's, DC's on its umpteeth incarnation.

I meant "Ultimate Marvel" up there where I said "Marvel Universe." Herp derp.

I liked Ultimate Marvel a lot.

I'm a fan of the darker, more morally ambiguous stuff though.

I liked the way that the Ultimate stuff ended with the X-men. They extended the Ultimate Marvel stuff with the Ultimate Comics ____. The X men stuff was gewd.

Also, SKFM, you should totally read Red Son. It's amazing. It's literally the best Superman story I've ever been exposed to.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

Man of Appeal

man of squeal

man of teal

He cries for hours and dons an all black suit in mourning for all he has killed.

Man of Feels

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Stolen from superdickery:

ZV6IPG3.jpg
    XijErMu.jpg

Prolly should have given him the water, Superman.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    my favourite part of those old paintings is how everybody is green because the cochineal used in the reds died over time leaving the green underpaint

Incorrect

We have developed over time the ability to detect that the Virgin Mary was a skrull waifu

desc on
  • Options
    scheck also give him Principia Mathematica

in the original German

the first six propositions of wittgenstein's TLP

but not the seventh

• Options
    syndalis wrote: »

Man of Appeal

man of squeal

man of teal

He cries for hours and dons an all black suit in mourning for all he has killed.

Man of Feels

he becomes like incredibly serious about his activism causes to try to make up for it

Man of Zeal

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    syndalis wrote: »

Man of Appeal

man of squeal

man of teal

Man of Feels

he becomes like incredibly serious about his activism causes to try to make up for it

Man of Zeal

he tries to pet a baby calf but can't control his super strength

Man of Veal

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
This discussion has been closed.