As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The brand [GNU/Linux / Alternate OS] thread: Steam finally confirmed

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    End wrote: »
    On my laptop, xubuntu doesn't power the screen back on from suspend, but I worked around that by using gnome-screensaver for now. supposedly xfce4-power-manager is actually to blame (lightlocker/xscreensaver probably let xfce4-power-manager handle it, and gnome-screensaver tries to do everything)

Oh, I may hold off on that then, since I am using a laptop.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    This NIC is driving me nuts.

I just finished upgrading an old machine (well, ripping the guts out of a case I like, with a nice power supply) and have cannabilsed it for spare parts.

I took its PCI Netgear Ethernet Card and have put into a new machine. Unfortunately, it doesn't get any DHCP offers, and configuring it statically shows any traffic as Destination Host Unreachable. Its link light is showing 100MBps negotiation, which makes sense as it's connected to an old switch I have next to my build desk, haven't tried it with the gigabit infrastructure.

Using the same cable the onboard 10/100 nic works just fine and it was of course working in the old machine. The r8169 driver is loaded, as expected.

Any ideas? I'll be checking it with the gigabit switch in the morning, but thought I'd see if there are any suggestions in the meantime.

lspci -k shows
    03:03.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8169 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 10)
            Subsystem: Netgear GA311
            Kernel Driver in use: r8169

There's no errors or IRQ conflicts or anything listed under dmesg. There is a mention of Jumbo frames being enabled.

Other than the fact that the other machine was on a way older version of debian, the only significant difference I can think of was that it was directly connected to the gigabit switch and if it's trying to do jumbo frames that will RUIN EVERYTHING. But if there's any other linux based trickery that I should look into in the meantime then I would greatly appreciate that.

EDIT: Sorted this - needed the non-free realtek-firmware package.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    So, I wanna get all Linux-y all over, but I want some fun, crazy new distro. What do I choose? I want some messed up Window Manager, stacking preferably.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Visti wrote: »
    So, I wanna get all Linux-y all over, but I want some fun, crazy new distro. What do I choose? I want some messed up Window Manager, stacking preferably.

This has nil to do with the triumphant annual Year of Linux on the Desktop, but I'm kind of excited about CoreOS. Docker with everything! Automatic security updates with rollback!

Gobolinux always sounded interesting. Reorganized filesystem so that you can have multiple versions of the same library installed. Possibly the most sane package management idea ever.

NixOS has a functional and atomic package manager which is supposedly very difficult to break.

As far as odd stacking window managers go, I've always had a soft spot for WindowLab.

WindowMaker was also kind of cool. I haven't used either in almost a decade, though.

• Options
    Baron DirigibleBaron Dirigible Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I don't know if this is the right thread or not, but hey, I have questions about serving web content!

So, um. I have two domains I'll be serving from the one VPS. My strategy right now is storing all content in /srv/www/${domain}, where /srv is a separate partition, and 'www' is owned by www-data and has permissions of 0600. The ${domain} directories are mounted via bind to a 'www' directory in /home/${domain}, so I can access files using SFTP. Is this acceptable? I've heard you shouldn't serve web apps from home directories, but I'm not entirely sure why, especially as it seems the most secure way to get files onto the server in the first place. (In any case all .conf files will point to the directory in /srv/www)

Second: it's been a little while since I really delved into Linux, but is it right that, by default, all users can view the home directories of other users? This seems really counter-intuitive.

Baron Dirigible on
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    Frem wrote: »
    Visti wrote: »

This has nil to do with the triumphant annual Year of Linux on the Desktop, but I'm kind of excited about CoreOS. Docker with everything! Automatic security updates with rollback!

Gobolinux always sounded interesting. Reorganized filesystem so that you can have multiple versions of the same library installed. Possibly the most sane package management idea ever.

NixOS has a functional and atomic package manager which is supposedly very difficult to break.

As far as odd stacking window managers go, I've always had a soft spot for WindowLab.

WindowMaker was also kind of cool. I haven't used either in almost a decade, though.

I've been out of the game too long. I actually don't want a stacking WM, I want something tiling. Back in the day I used AwesomeWM and xmonad and stuff. Is there any new exciting WMs out there? Did that ION thing ever actually work out?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Has anyone tried dual booting a Surface Pro 3, or any other UEFI device? Ideally, I want to dual boot with Mint's latest LTS release.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Has anyone tried dual booting a Surface Pro 3, or any other UEFI device? Ideally, I want to dual boot with Mint's latest LTS release.

Depending on your purposes, this may not be a solution, but I've become a HUGE fan of just running Linux in a VirtualBox on my Windows PCs in Seamless Mode. All the benefits of both OSes at the same time.

• Options
    Houn wrote: »

Depending on your purposes, this may not be a solution, but I've become a HUGE fan of just running Linux in a VirtualBox on my Windows PCs in Seamless Mode. All the benefits of both OSes at the same time.

Yeah, that's what I normally do, but I'd like to have access to all 8GB of RAM in this case if possible. I'm aiming to make it my portable development machine.

• Options
    Hey guys, I'm having problems getting PHP to run in Apache2 (I think 2.4) after I changed the location of the document root. Distro is Mint 17. I wrote a huge post over at Stack Overflow, so it's probably easier if I just link to it. I never had these problems in Mint 15.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/25555511/403-error-when-attempting-to-change-my-apache2-document-root-in-mint-17

• Options
    My initial thought is that apache runs as it's own user in most cases; does the "apache" user have permissions to that directory?

Specifically, 403 is "Unauthorized"; it sounds like apache/php is not allowed to execute php files in that directory.

• Options
    Houn wrote: »
    My initial thought is that apache runs as it's own user in most cases; does the "apache" user have permissions to that directory?

Specifically, 403 is "Unauthorized"; it sounds like apache/php is not allowed to execute php files in that directory.

How would I check if apache has those permissions? I'm still pretty beginner with linux.

Also, like I said in the SO link, I got it to process HTML and have it correctly rendered in a browser. For PHP files, it's simply serving PHP code as the source. It's not processing the PHP at all. When I try a2enmod php5, it gives me an error.

• Options
    Try this:

/etc/apache2/mods-available/php5.conf
    <IfModule mod_userdir.c>
        <Directory /home/*/www>
            php_admin_flag engine Off
        </Directory>
    </IfModule>

You're not using public_html, so change it to the right directory.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    I'm just a user but in my limited experience Mint is a technical mess and there's not really a compelling reason to use it.

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Something is seriously wrong with my Linux laptop. It won't even load the GRUB menu, and gives an error message that says my graphical settings are all seriously wrong. Any ideas on what might be causing this? I did do a few updates before the problem occurred, but I don't remember what they were.

On an unrelated note I noticed the power adapter is getting hella hot after only an hour or so. Maybe it's time to retire this lappy (which has overheating problems in general) and get something new. (Well, new to me anyhow.)

• Options
    edited September 2014
    august wrote: »
    I'm just a user but in my limited experience Mint is a technical mess and there's not really a compelling reason to use it.

Huh? Mint is probably the most stable distro this side of Ubuntu proper. It's main issue is that, in order to maintain that stability, it stays a release or two behind Ubuntu in terms of packages and what not. Which is what was biting me in the ass with my problem above. The latest version of PHP available through the dotdeb packages - 5.5.16 - doesn't play well with the version of Apache 2 that's available through the normal Mint repo - 2.4.7. Research indicates that it's a bug that was found last summer and subsequently patched, but since Mint is behind on the release schedule, I don't have access to the upgraded version.

Which actually leads me to a question: is there a debian repo I can access that will have the newest version of Apache 2?

EDIT: Turns out it's not the same bug. Really weird. I've never had PHP break on me before. And 5.5.9 works just fine, so I'm wondering why 5.5.16 is shitting the bed.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

Huh? Mint is probably the most stable distro this side of Ubuntu proper. It's main issue is that, in order to maintain that stability, it stays a release or two behind Ubuntu in terms of packages and what not. Which is what was biting me in the ass with my problem above. The latest version of PHP available through the dotdeb packages - 5.5.16 - doesn't play well with the version of Apache 2 that's available through the normal Mint repo - 2.4.7. Research indicates that it's a bug that was found last summer and subsequently patched, but since Mint is behind on the release schedule, I don't have access to the upgraded version.

Which actually leads me to a question: is there a debian repo I can access that will have the newest version of Apache 2?

EDIT: Turns out it's not the same bug. Really weird. I've never had PHP break on me before. And 5.5.9 works just fine, so I'm wondering why 5.5.16 is shitting the bed.

You easily run regular Mint on the latest Ubuntu. I'm doing it right now - since the bits of Mint which make it "Minty" are cinnamon, nemo etc. and aren't in the normal Ubuntu repos.

I'm cruising along on trusty for the time being, probably going to bump things up to utopic sometime soon.

Also put me down for "buhwuh?" on Mint being a technical mess.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    I guess I'm still scarred from Mint Debian getting updated once a year or whatever and Cinnamon being real unstable out of the gate.

What I should have said is that I can't think of a reason to use Mint instead of the latest stable version of Ubuntu + a DE of your choosing.

august on
  • Options
    If anyone wants to play Morrownind natively on Linux or Mac, OpenMW in my limited experience over that last couple days seems to be in totally playable state.

I've had a few crashes but yo it's Morrowind. And most mods seem to work? Right now I'm just using a few texture replacements and something to make everyone's default run speed faster.

I'm also using the daily ppa.

• Options
    So apparently my harware setup on my lappy is no longer supported by Ubuntu 12.04? Oh, and the last update for it kills the graphics something bad. I can't even get into GRUB. The heck, Canonical? I am going to have to somehow re-install 12.04 and update it right up to BEFORE that evil update. Also 14.04 refuses to do anything but make my poor old lappy chug with its fancy graphics. Maybe an update is in order...

• Options
    Ubuntu isn't really "old hardware" friendly anymore. Might I recommend a nice Debian Stable?

• Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    losing hardware support in an LTS still sounds super dumb though

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    So apparently my harware setup on my lappy is no longer supported by Ubuntu 12.04? Oh, and the last update for it kills the graphics something bad. I can't even get into GRUB. The heck, Canonical? I am going to have to somehow re-install 12.04 and update it right up to BEFORE that evil update. Also 14.04 refuses to do anything but make my poor old lappy chug with its fancy graphics. Maybe an update is in order...

That uh...doesn't sound right. grub will run on pretty much anything - grub boots with standard bios console mode. I'm pretty sure something is broken.

EDIT: Seriously what is your laptop hardware? There's no way 12.04 lost support for something. Of course if 14.04 works fine, then you just need to install a lighter weight DM (i.e. not Unity). I recommend MATE for that type of application - it's the most similar to Gnome 2, but actively maintained. XFCE is also a good choice.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Xubuntu is the bees knees... Just throwing that out there.

(14.04 and 14.10 have a problem with resuming after suspend, but there are work around for that.)

• Options
    Curly Brace may be having a similar problem to what I had with 12.04 where I had proprietary video card drivers installed, then the driver manufacturer dropped support for them and new kernels, then Ubuntu updated the kernel and everything exploded.

Anyway if your laptop is really chugging I'd suggest trying out Lubuntu 14.04.

• Options
    Curly Brace may be having a similar problem to what I had with 12.04 where I had proprietary video card drivers installed, then the driver manufacturer dropped support for them and new kernels, then Ubuntu updated the kernel and everything exploded.

Anyway if your laptop is really chugging I'd suggest trying out Lubuntu 14.04.

That sounds exactly like my problem, yeah. It's a HP dv6700 model laptop, and there are all sorts of problems with its Nvidia graphics, so...

I will try Lubuntu 14.04 this weekend and let you folks know how it goes.

• Options
    @Curly_Brace the question is whether you will be ok running open source drivers instead of the proprietary ones. I found the open source drivers on my Raedon 4xxx integrated chip ran hot as hell which may have encouraged its demise. I couldn't really roll back to an old kernel if I remember correctly because the version of X the LTS updated to was also dependent on a newer kernel. If that's an issue for you you may want to take Houn's advice and try debian stable. I'd advise Crunchbang. Then you'd hopefully be able to install the proprietary drivers on that, then add a repository for the latest version of Chrome or Firefox (assuming you don't need newer versions of other software.) That setup would hopefully last you a couple more years.

• Options
    @august‌ yeah the graphics card HAS been running with open source drivers, but I am not sure that would explain the issue. Mind you this model is infamous for overheating badly.

• Options
    @Curly_Brace the question is whether you will be ok running open source drivers instead of the proprietary ones. I found the open source drivers on my Raedon 4xxx integrated chip ran hot as hell which may have encouraged its demise. I couldn't really roll back to an old kernel if I remember correctly because the version of X the LTS updated to was also dependent on a newer kernel. If that's an issue for you you may want to take Houn's advice and try debian stable. I'd advise Crunchbang. Then you'd hopefully be able to install the proprietary drivers on that, then add a repository for the latest version of Chrome or Firefox (assuming you don't need newer versions of other software.) That setup would hopefully last you a couple more years.

The radeon open source drivers now have proper dynamic frequency scaling - so they will spin up and spin down the card as necessary. They also work A LOT better then the AMD ones (also better then the Windows AMD ones, which refuse to let me use my eyefinity with 3 monitors now for some reason - works fine on Linux).

• Options
    Also systemd seems very okay.

I mean, I'm sure there will turn out to be bugs, but the insanity surrounding it is really unjustified.

• Options
    darren66darren66 Registered User regular

I mean, I'm sure there will turn out to be bugs, but the insanity surrounding it is really unjustified.

systemd is going into Debian.

Debian are sticklers when it comes to picking these kinds of things. That alone signifies that the hatefest around systemd is unjustified.

Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    This might just be an Arch thing, but about the only part of systemd that I have an actual dislike for is how logging works. I have a strong dislike for for journald*.

Damn you, just write the logs to file. I can search through and manipulate logged info in a file a hell of a lot easier than I can by using journalctl.

I think a lot of the dislike for systemd is just a Who Moved My Cheese type of thing: all of my daemon scripts used to be in /etc/{rc.d,init.d}/ now they're ... somewhere else and they get symlinked into a directory that I can never remember, etc etc etc.

I was pretty uncomfortable with systemd when Arch up and made the change one day (it wasn't that sudden, but I'm not into the mailing list thing, sooooo...), but I've gotten pretty used to it.

I think Ubuntu's (and Debian's?) playing with Upstart and the "service" command were perhaps their way of trying to ease into systemd. (feel free to school me on anything wrong I've written here, I've been unable to follow a lot of this as closely as I could have 3 years ago, before mein Kind arrived)

* I know you can configure things so that they mostly work how I was used to, but it seems to take a lot more effort and work than I want, so I just deal with the interface that I'm not a giant fan of. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    darren66 wrote: »

systemd is going into Debian.

Debian are sticklers when it comes to picking these kinds of things. That alone signifies that the hatefest around systemd is unjustified.

Debian now has systemd as the default, but you can still use the old SysV init by installing "sysvinit-core". As long as you don't use GNOME, anyway.

A lot of the push to adopt systemd came from GNOME requiring it. (Personally, if they're both right there in the package manager then I don't see what all the fuss is about).

• Options
    This might just be an Arch thing, but about the only part of systemd that I have an actual dislike for is how logging works. I have a strong dislike for for journald*.

Damn you, just write the logs to file. I can search through and manipulate logged info in a file a hell of a lot easier than I can by using journalctl.

I think a lot of the dislike for systemd is just a Who Moved My Cheese type of thing: all of my daemon scripts used to be in /etc/{rc.d,init.d}/ now they're ... somewhere else and they get symlinked into a directory that I can never remember, etc etc etc.

I was pretty uncomfortable with systemd when Arch up and made the change one day (it wasn't that sudden, but I'm not into the mailing list thing, sooooo...), but I've gotten pretty used to it.

I think Ubuntu's (and Debian's?) playing with Upstart and the "service" command were perhaps their way of trying to ease into systemd. (feel free to school me on anything wrong I've written here, I've been unable to follow a lot of this as closely as I could have 3 years ago, before mein Kind arrived)

* I know you can configure things so that they mostly work how I was used to, but it seems to take a lot more effort and work than I want, so I just deal with the interface that I'm not a giant fan of. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

By default in Ubuntu it configures journald to log straight to rsyslog (which out of the box also tails the journald files and makes syslog files). On my laptop I turned all that off though, since the binaries are more compact.

Also, my laptop is definitely booting waaay faster with systemd then upstart. Something about the way it brings up the mounts with ZFS makes it a very snappy experience.

• Options
  • Options
    So if fonts never look quite right to you on Linux, install the Infinality patches for fontconfig (there's a PPA).

Basically they improve a ton on default rendering and get everything looking crisp and aligned to LCD subpixels. Everything looks a little bit different, and then you realize a lot clearer (its also super configurable but has nice curated defaults).

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I'm having a hell of a time with Ubuntu 14.04, but I haven't been keeping up with systemd changes to know if I should have expected any of this.

Basically, I started with a clean install of 14.04 and let the Ubuntu Software Center update everything. At some point in the last week, the following happened (and not necessarily all at once):
    • The network icon disappeared from the menu bar.
    • The psensor icon disappeared from the menu bar.
    • The HP LIP toolbox disappeared from the menu bar.
    • Shutting the lid no longer hibernates the system (which I fixed by finding out about systemd for the first time and making these changes)
    • The keyboard volume buttons (both on the macbook itself and on my Logitech USB keyboard) no longer work.

How much of this should I have seen coming, and does anyone have a suggestion for any of those problems? I'm an off-and-on sysadmin, so I'm comfortable digging in conf files, but this (read: systemd) is all new to me.

PS: My system is a 2008/2009-ish macbook with a replacement SSD, running Ubuntu 14.04. The only changes I've made to it recently are installing drawers and some rails stuff; nothing I could imagine would matter.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    14.04 isn't systemd, it's upstart still.

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular

Weird! Changing /etc/systemd/logind.conf was the only fix that made my lid cause a hibernate.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    templewulf wrote: »

Weird! Changing /etc/systemd/logind.conf was the only fix that made my lid cause a hibernate.

logind is a shim-wrapper for the Gnome bits which are dependent on systemd. What happens though is that the power-management-daemon doesn't properly suppress logind handling the lid once the session has started, and your logind is still set to "do nothing" so it appears not to work.

I was under the impression this had all been fixed though - I know Linux Mint pulled a bunch of patches from gnome-power-manager explicitly to handle this.