Options

[Assassin's Creed] Syndicate is out and is apparently pretty damn good

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Given the way these games are in production at the same time I doubt they could've incorporated the criticism from Unity into Victory. Still its disappointing that they didnt just naturally try something different.

• Options
    Fists of DissentFists of Dissent Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Prohass wrote: »
    Given the way these games are in production at the same time I doubt they could've incorporated the criticism from Unity into Victory. Still its disappointing that they didnt just naturally try something different.

Assassins Creed 3 - 2012
    Assassins Creed 4 - 2013

So...

Fists of Dissent on

T3NT0NH4MM3R.jpg
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Black Flag felt like a big change up rather than baby steps, particularly in the setting which I loved. I was hoping for more of that.

Don't like that they're sticking around Europe still. Go to Egypt, China, Japan or something.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Prohass wrote: »

Assassins Creed 3 - 2012
    Assassins Creed 4 - 2013

So...

?

Each game has a three year development schedule. Games are almost finished, or in their last year, by the time the current one comes out. They dont begin and finish an entire game in a year.\

EDIT: wait I think i see what you meant, I meant specifically the criticism about white male mains, which only really blew up this year, not any gameplay stuff

Prohass on
  • Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    I finished Black Flag the other night. i can hardly express how amazing that was, so I'll sum it up by saying this:

I left AC3 ready to give the series a six month hiatus, but I decided to toy around with Black Flag for a few minutes first. 11 days after that moment, I had finished absolutely everything in the game short of farming money and collecting fragments/chests.

Also, the epilogue was easily my unexpected favorite spot of the entire game. Came out of left field to punch me in the emotions.

I hopped over to Watch Dogs right after, and it's really trippy to play now that I've realized the games share a universe.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Huh. I am 2 for 2 on calling the time periods of the last two games. Quick guys give me a period to wish for next I might be able to make it happen.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Boy I can't wait to be another white guy with a British accent being wry!
    Christ, how much better would it be as black man, or a man from India, or, dare I say it, a woman?!

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Christ, how much better would it be as black man, or a man from India, or, dare I say it, a woman?!

We're getting an adventure with that Chinese woman as part of the season pass. And it takes place in China.

It was advertised on a pack-in slip with my Xbone bundle.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Nocren wrote: »

We're getting an adventure with that Chinese woman as part of the season pass. And it takes place in China.

It was advertised on a pack-in slip with my Xbone bundle.

That's a 2d platformer, not a full game. And not one I intend to buy, unless every review is gold, because man, Unity burned me.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    This would've been the perfect opportunity to play Eva Green's character from Penny Dreadful except as a badass assassin or templar

Ah well, there's always the year after next year

Prohass on
  • Options
    Victory to subvert expectations by letting you play a slightly older white guy.

• Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    You could, mayhaps, play Freedom Cry (black man) or Liberation (black woman) and then you would know! And, while they haven't specifically had a protagonist from India, mind you that they did ship a full game, two handheld games, and other assorted content with an Arabic protagonist, as well as a game with a Native American protagonist. Also, China.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Have they actually done anything with the Chinese assassin? (I think it's Shao Jun?) AFAIK, she showed up in Embers, and apparently came up with Rope Darts, the most consistently unused tool in my inventory (I'm not calling them useless, I just keep forgetting they're there), but I don't know if she got any books/comics/apps about her.
    I'm vaguely aware there was a Russian assassin that Cross got his bleeding effect problem from, and I think he had a comic.

And I'll accept a white man with a British accent if he's supposed to be British, it's when he's supposed to be French that I've got the problem with him.
    If they were going to do that, they should have copied 'Allo 'Allo and had French in regular British accents, and someone speaking English in a really overblown stereotype accent.

I'm still playing this an hour at a time between Dragon Age sessions, so I've barely gotten past getting my assassins outfit. What's this 'hack' option when you look at gear you can buy? if something costs 200000, with an 800 'hack' option, I'm very wary of trying it for fear of micro-transactions jumping out at me. Can anyone explain?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    At long last, a kindred spirit in the push for AC to be more like 'Allo 'Allo.

Hacking is microtransactions. You buy hack points with real-ass dollars and spend them on things you could have instead bought with non-real-ass dollars. It's ignorable, at least.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Victorian London was pretty heavily rumoured last year, along with Russia and China.

...would still prefer the other 2. :P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I'm okay with London, mainly because I'd like to climb some familiar landmarks.
    Also, assuming there'll still be commentary from Shaun in the database entries, we'll get some British self-snarking at our own history.
    (I loved the database entry where he rants about Les Miserables)

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Monger wrote: »
    You could, mayhaps, play Freedom Cry (black man) or Liberation (black woman) and then you would know! And, while they haven't specifically had a protagonist from India, mind you that they did ship a full game, two handheld games, and other assorted content with an Arabic protagonist, as well as a game with a Native American protagonist. Also, China.

I played all of those. Be nice to do another triple A Assassins Creed with a less by the numbers protagonist. Like, Edward at least had some traits to make him interesting, a decent character arc and a great VA. But if Arno is a view of what's to come, and Assassin's Creed becomes a series of wry white British guys with stubble being snarky, I'll be disapointed.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    The Victory characters will all, of course, have French accents.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Victorian London was pretty heavily rumoured last year, along with Russia and China.

...would still prefer the other 2. :P

The sidescroller thing is in China. Looks pretty cool too, so theres that :D

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I said I was tired of Europe before Unity came out. Honestly, kinda interested in Victory. I like the Industrial Revolution stuff alot more than the Enlightenment Era of the past 4 games. Wonder what combat will be like since revolvers and repeating rifles are the norm.

Still wish they could give us a non European main game.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    So before I dig into this in a few weeks, is there a way to play in French with English subtitles?

Because the videos I've seen of British accents on French people is distracting to the point of making me not want to play it.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »

Damn it, I came here to make that joke.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »

Damn it, I came here to make that joke.

Don't worry, so did literally everybody else

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    So before I dig into this in a few weeks, is there a way to play in French with English subtitles?

Because the videos I've seen of British accents on French people is distracting to the point of making me not want to play it.

I haven't tried it, but in one of Tychos news posts he said you can, and it changes the main dialogue to French. Mostly. The incidental dialogue is in English. So I haven't done it. Shit sounds worse than having it all English.

Which is bad because the best thing about playing the Ezio games was playing them in Italian with subtitles.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    From what I remember the ezio games didn't subtitle ambient dialogue at all. It was all in italian with no idea what they were saying. Only cutscenes and main story dialogue were subtitled.

This is possibly why they changed it to let you understand the street level chatter.
    Pleases some people, displeases other.
    Can't win though, because otherwise you have fifty subtitles overlaying the screen whenever you walk down the street because ambient dialogue happens constantly.

Personally I think they should have just had it all in french because presumably the point of that option is for french speaking people to, you know, hear it all in french. If it was me I'd prioritise them for that option because it's really doubtful how many of your normal game playing audience are going to bother.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options

I played all of those. Be nice to do another triple A Assassins Creed with a less by the numbers protagonist. Like, Edward at least had some traits to make him interesting, a decent character arc and a great VA. But if Arno is a view of what's to come, and Assassin's Creed becomes a series of wry white British guys with stubble being snarky, I'll be disapointed.
    Honestly, the only thing that Unity and Victory are indicative of is that Ubisoft is now willing to buckle to fan pressure when selecting locations for future games, and that makes it likely that AC2017 would take place in Japan, which is the other commonly requested setting.

• Options
    Fists of DissentFists of Dissent Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    An AC game set in 19th century England... I always knew that the East India Company were Templars.

Just don't make Arthur Conan Doyle into an Assassin, okay Ubi?

Fists of Dissent on

T3NT0NH4MM3R.jpg
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    The weird part of this setting is that Victorian England is late enough in history that nobody carried swords around anymore, excepting some in-uniform soldiers. Will combat options be reduced to guns or hidden blade? Sword-cane? Fisticuffs?

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    I would like brawling, also batons, all the batons

• Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    I was sold at "fights on top of cabs."

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    So, I'm pretty blown away by Unity. AC's been a downward spiral for me since Revelations. Revelations was bad, ACIII was horrible and ACIV was fun because Pirate Ships but not much else.

I was hesitant to pick up Unity, but I got it last night for $10 thanks to a giftcard. I missed the buggy launch and downloaded the 2gig update, so I didn't really run into any issues. I had a fucking blast! Arno was instantly likable, the customization is wonderful and the plethora of weapons to choose from is great. It reminds me a lot of how ACII was just fun to play with the side activities that felt more enjoyable than bullshit. Being able to freerun down a building is the most brilliant addition to the series... like ever.

The animations... dem grafix. I just really like this game! :D

Very pleasantly surprised.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I picked up AC3 for $5 at a sale the other day, and got as far as landing in Boston. Is the first AC i ever played. Don't generally play console games much anymore, and when i do is stiff like Mario. I can see what they are going for with smooth flow and parkour but it feels like a lot of the time i am fighting the controls, especially the camera. Like when it told me to go up on crow nest and i did but the camera stayed below and nothing else happened, so i thought i was on wrong mast and spent another 20 minutes trying to get on a different crow nest, bit then for a lark o went to the first one and was able to pull up the camera, which triggered the cutscene.

Also, this is autosaving right? Couldn't figure out how to save and quit, do after i landed at my destination i exited back to WiiU menu.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Finally started to play Unity and I decided to put the voices in french since the game is in France and I speak french. The good thing is no britsh accent for French people but the french voices don't really have much of a France accent.

The characters use a more 'neutral' french like the french translation of Hollywood movies we get in Canada.

Also wish the voices outside the simulation would stay in English.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    Also, this is autosaving right? Couldn't figure out how to save and quit, do after i landed at my destination i exited back to WiiU menu.

Yeah all the AC games function on a pretty regular autosave. Like do just about any minor activity and it autosaves.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    Smrtnik wrote: »

Yeah all the AC games function on a pretty regular autosave. Like do just about any minor activity and it autosaves.

Thanks!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    So...did they ever release a patch? Would play some more but some of those crashes(especially when playing online) were getting kind of annoying.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    So...did they ever release a patch? Would play some more but some of those crashes(especially when playing online) were getting kind of annoying.

It's fully patched at this point.

There are still some performance issues they plan to address in a later patch (possibly alongside the free DLC) but it's completely playable now on all platforms.

I hope people give it a second chance, it's one of my favorite games this year.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    I've been playing for a few hours on and the game has been running pretty fine for the most part. Framerate dipped pretty low after I did my first big assassination and had to flee through a gigantic crowd. Also had 1 crash during a loading.

Wasn't sure at first but the game is growing on me as I get used to the new systems. I also like how lethal combat can be this game compared to previous entries.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular

Honestly, the only thing that Unity and Victory are indicative of is that Ubisoft is now willing to buckle to fan pressure when selecting locations for future games, and that makes it likely that AC2017 would take place in Japan, which is the other commonly requested setting.

Man, please no Japan.