Options

[Assassin's Creed] Syndicate is out and is apparently pretty damn good

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I'm 25-30 hours in to Unity, and I only have about 35% of the world unlocked.

This game is huge and the city feels great. Best city since AC/Brotherhood, hands down. Probably better.

I also did my first Co Op mission and it was a lot of fun.

I am so sad that the bugs/performance issues have dominated the conversation around this game. This actually FEELS like an Assassin's Creed game, as opposed to black flag which felt like a great pirate game with assassins creed controls and combat. I haven't been this hooked to a game in a while.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    AC4 did feel like a pirate game with the Assassin's and Templars tacked on, but it never bothered me! The Templar versus Assassin stuff is boring and bland imo. Not as bad as their real world stuff, but pretty bad.

The characters, recreation of the time. Those are what hook me into this series. So it no surprise that AC4 was my favorite. You could cut all the modern day and Assassin stuff out and still have a great game there.

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Oh hey, legendary battles. Because I guess the devs needed a way to force you to buy upgrades?

Oh well, a minor complaint. That aside, finally some battles involving multiple ships on both sides! Like it.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    So I was really bummed about AssCreed this year, and was really missing my yearly fix.

Unity - while I am very, very glad for the people that enjoy it - literally took everything I enjoy about the series away from me. I know that I am in the minority, I guess, but it was still a huge bummer. I buy Assassins Creeds for the crazy Templar vs. Assassins story, the modern day stuff, the sci-fi stuff, and the competitive multiplayer. I buy the encyclopedias because I love following the lore, who knew who, what the First Civ was up to, how everything is related and uncovering a massive conspiracy that is bonkers. It seems that Unity largely ignores almost all of that. And obviously, as I've prestiged multiple times in every multiplayer since it was introduced, that being cut was a huge disappointment. Combine that with the fact there's a ton of stuff out right now I want to play that DOESN'T come with a long list of bugs, and I just couldn't justify it.

Rogue seems like EXACTLY what I want story wise - it's just that I KNOW it will hit PS4 eventually (hopefully in a pack with Liberation) and I have to wait. It's still got the working at Google stuff I loved. So I was sitting here just bummed.

Then I remembered somehow I never got around to Freedom Cry.

...I think that's my favorite Assassin story ever, and I wish so badly it was a fleshed out, full game. I'm hoping when we see Adewale in Rogue it's left enough time that we can maybe re-visit him someday. The story felt important, and Adewale's part in it all was equal parts tragic and exciting. I just loved absolutely every part of that (and I can forgive the lack of modern day stuff because it wasn't a full release and Black Flag had enough for me.)

And most of all, it's got the best use of...I dunno...culture? I think in the whole series. The songs the slaves sang, the atmosphere, the language used...it was easily the most immersed I've ever felt in a time period. Whereas every other game has done a fine job - this really was above and beyond. The world felt alive as I was crossing through plantations and could hear the singing from the slaves quarters. It's almost beyond comprehension to take a step back and think of how horrible this time period and what is going on is, but in the context of just, the world feeling alive, I think it was easily the most immersed I've ever felt in these games.

Letting the end credits run now and just listening to the singing and the drums, it's really something special.

So yeah - if anyone hasn't played Freedom Cry, go do it. This was some good stuff.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    So I was really bummed about AssCreed this year, and was really missing my yearly fix.

Rogue seems like EXACTLY what I want story wise - it's just that I KNOW it will hit PS4 eventually (hopefully in a pack with Liberation) and I have to wait. It's still got the working at Google stuff I loved. So I was sitting here just bummed.

Liberation is already a pack-in with 3 and Black Flag as part of the "Americas Trilogy" package.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    eahenryiieahenryii Registered User regular
    Then I remembered somehow I never got around to Freedom Cry.

...I think that's my favorite Assassin story ever, and I wish so badly it was a fleshed out, full game. I'm hoping when we see Adewale in Rogue it's left enough time that we can maybe re-visit him someday. The story felt important, and Adewale's part in it all was equal parts tragic and exciting. I just loved absolutely every part of that (and I can forgive the lack of modern day stuff because it wasn't a full release and Black Flag had enough for me.)

And most of all, it's got the best use of...I dunno...culture? I think in the whole series. The songs the slaves sang, the atmosphere, the language used...it was easily the most immersed I've ever felt in a time period. Whereas every other game has done a fine job - this really was above and beyond. The world felt alive as I was crossing through plantations and could hear the singing from the slaves quarters. It's almost beyond comprehension to take a step back and think of how horrible this time period and what is going on is, but in the context of just, the world feeling alive, I think it was easily the most immersed I've ever felt in these games.

Letting the end credits run now and just listening to the singing and the drums, it's really something special.

So yeah - if anyone hasn't played Freedom Cry, go do it. This was some good stuff.

Agree with all of that. So well done for a DLC. Easily favorite DLC for this series, possibly favorite DLC of all time.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    I am so sad that the bugs/performance issues have dominated the conversation around this game. This actually FEELS like an Assassin's Creed game, as opposed to black flag which felt like a great pirate game with assassins creed controls and combat. I haven't been this hooked to a game in a while.

If they didn't have a shitty release with bugs then it wouldn't dominate the conversation.

• Options
    InxInx Registered User regular
    Just started Unity last night. Thankfully no bugs, but had a few framerate hiccups. Was surprised to find myself completely okay with that.

I only just joined the Assassins, and I think my favorite thing so far is
    The completely different initiation ritual that the Paris Assassins have from when Ezio was in charge. The ceremony Ezio conducted was much simpler, whereas the Paris Assassins do some crazy League of Shadows shit. The French just gotta make a big to-do about everything, eh? Seriously, though, it helps drive home the idea of each Brotherhood cell being somewhat autonomous.

I also really like the movement and combat controls. Controlled descent is something I've wanted for SO LONG. Parrying is much improved in my opinion, and while a parry isn't an autokill like before, it still feels worthwhile. Dodging is a great addition.

I like the way the gear loadout is being done.

I don't love the idea of buying skills that were considered basic (like double assassination) in previous games. But I can live with it.

Also not in love with the app/initiates integration because my phone is a piece of shit and I don't care about initiates like at all.

Also...um...is whistling gone? I couldn't do it from a haystack and I can't find it on the skill list. Did they just take it out completely or am I blind?

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    I don't think whistling is in. I was looking for it and failed to find it, too. Also miss my double assassination, but I decided to take ranged weaponry first because I *need* berzerk blade.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »

Liberation is already a pack-in with 3 and Black Flag as part of the "Americas Trilogy" package.
    Pretty sure he means he wants a Rogue/Liberation pack on the PS4, not 3/4/Liberation on PS3.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Some people just can't whistle. Don't shame us.

Them. Don't shame them.

13iepvv6o8ip.png
  • Options
    I just...

Why would they remove it? How am I supposed to lure guards to a haystack?

• Options
    temperature!temperature! Registered User regular
    Sorry if this has been talked about before, but I can't find a straight answer. Is the co-op completely down? My brother and I bought Unity specifically for the co-op, and even though I'm really, really enjoying it we can't seem to play together. We can both get into random games, but not join each other's games, even though we are friends and in a club together. Is this a common issue?

XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    I've been playing co-op fine but it's always with strangers. I hope to change that this weekend/next week.

Concerning whistling, yeah it's not in the game. I raged when I found that out but now I'm generally fine since it takes the form of the limited cherry bombs (not sure how good for attracting but certainly for distracting) making it arguably more strategic instead of easily singling out targets. Still it can make some cover/hidden kill challenges feel downright impossible compared to the ease of past games, so when I see those I just ignore them on my first playthrough.

Partly it plays into the specialization you can give Arno. I'm very invested in stealth so when combat begins I can hold my own but if I screw up I'll be down in a couple of hits--even before I can tap my medicine. Careful planning almost always trumps running in to the fray.

Still, I wish some of these things weren't sequence gated. I want level 3 lock picking dammit.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Inx wrote: »
    I just...

Why would they remove it? How am I supposed to lure guards to a wardrobe of doom?

I once did this to an entire camp.

Basically I'd show myself, they'd go WHOSE THAT OVER THERE EH? and I'd nip round the corner and duck into the wardrobe.
    Then they'd come storming round the corner and go ?????

And then just as they turned to go I'd whistle....

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    I just...

Why would they remove it? How am I supposed to lure guards to a wardrobe of doom?

Basically I'd show myself, they'd go WHOSE THAT OVER THERE EH? and I'd nip round the corner and duck into the wardrobe.

The stuff nightmares are made of.

Man imagine being the guy who opened that wardrobe after you left. The bodies.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I just...

And then he'd hear a whistle.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    I just...

And then he'd hear a whistle.

Bring me my brown pants.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I just...

Speaking of, kinda sucks you can only cram one body in Unity (at least I think that's right, right? It also makes sense in that you can't reenter them).
    But at least now you auto-loot the bodies when you do so.

EDIT: Anyway, putting this on the back burner to finish cooking and hopefully get somethings fixed (Primarily when Initiates is up and running to unlock those yellow chest and count for the fact that I own and registered/played online all previous AC games AND when the companion app syncs properly to my Xbone game to get those blue chests and Helix zone artifacts (though that might just be a product of my shitty internet since it worked at my ladyfriend's house)).

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    So when I upgraded the Cafe, the Intendant told me there had been a hidden wall in the kitchen. I went in there and there really wasn't anything there. Same thing with a hidden wall in the mail hall after the second upgrade. Are these things just cool little fluff things or do they eventually get me something?

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    So when I upgraded the Cafe, the Intendant told me there had been a hidden wall in the kitchen. I went in there and there really wasn't anything there. Same thing with a hidden wall in the mail hall after the second upgrade. Are these things just cool little fluff things or do they eventually get me something?

Some of those are opening up different routs into and out of the cafe. The upgrades are also unlocking quests for the cafe that in turn unlock more decor and stuff.

There are 5 paid upgrades that give five upgrade quests, and then all the social club stuff.

The size of this game is just staggering. I've put 30 hours in and I am still barely past 40% completion.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    The hidden rooms rooms they talk about only hold a note in each one talking about the history the Assassins have had with the café.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    David_T wrote: »
    Some people just can't whistle. Don't shame us.

Them. Don't shame them.

You know how to whistle, don't you? You just put your lips together and pfffffffffffft... You just put your lips together and pfffffffffffffffft... You just put your lips together and pffffffffffTBPHBPHBHPBH...

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    So how does this Initiates thing work? Does any of it work?
    I've got literally all the AC games, but can't find a way to get it to see any of them.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    klemming wrote: »
    So how does this Initiates thing work? Does any of it work?
    I've got literally all the AC games, but can't find a way to get it to see any of them.

No, none of it works right now. They made the super-intelligent decision to trash the entire old Initiates site and relaunch about three days before Unity launched, and it's all been (as the British say) tits-up since.

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    I tried logging into Initiates yesterday and again today, no luck. 10 minutes later and the process is still going. A shame really, my favorite sails in AC IV were from the Initiates site if I remember correctly (black with white skulls).

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    Even if you get in, they're still "synching" legacy stuff, so you'd probably be level 1 with 0 experience and no linked games.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Man, I failed two missions last night because the game bugged out. One, the game thought I had done an optional mission (that involved fire), and killed me even though I hadn't. And then I failed a chase mission because I got stuck on a wall and literally couldn't get down or go up. So I think I'm shelving this until they get some more patches out.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Just finished Rogue.
    That dovetails really nicely with Unity. Fun game all in all. It is totally AC4-2 (or AC3-3) depending on how you look at it.

Achilles! (Kind of a dick.)
    Adewale! (Still awesome!)
    Haytham! Wouldn't have minded seeing some of his training/turn. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if Rogue started out as a Haytham game, considering you'd have gotten a game with each of the Kenways. My guess is they had to scrap it due to wanting to link it up with Unity.

• Options
    PriestPriest Registered User regular
    So I put my mind to it and powered through Black Flag. I was really having a rough time with the soldier-of-fortune Edward and his middle-finger attitude toward everyone except Kidd / Ade / Caroline.
    Finally got the emotional payoff though, with Mary dying and Edward finally coming around. I will say that the length of time it took to come around made it that much more powerful, and that the game would have been worse for it if I had had my way and Edward had gone full Assassin in Sequence 4 or 5.

Great game. A little too heavy on the sea combat, but what are you gonna do when it's set in the Caribbean? I love Ubisoft's willingness to change things up, to be honest.

It's a shame that Unity is having the problems that it is, and that it sounds like my 660ti wouldn't be able to reasonably handle it. I might pick up Rogue, but other than Liberation (which I haven't played yet), this'll probably be my last Assassin's Creed for 18-24 months. Too early to replace my 660ti, and not willing to upgrade for one or two games.

• Options
    Just beat unity
    I saw somewhere online saying that Elise got "fridged" and the game handled women badly.

I have no idea how people feel that way about this title. She was an active participant through the entire story, had her own arc, and while yes, she did die at the very end, she died in such a way that involved fulfilling her arc. She took that shot to kill the man responsible for her fathers death. Her assault put him down, and in truth defeated him. All you did was finish it.

Her death was never your motivation. She was never dumb about what she was doing, only driven for vengeance like yourself. It was a sad but fitting closure for her.

As far as the real-world stuff goes, I am less enthused. It really does seem like they didn't move the needle at all. They told you that the needle moved after the events of black flag (Sage DNA is apparently really baller and they now have the fresh corpse of a sage to fuck around with) but absolutely nothing of value happened to move the meta forward at all, which is kind of sad.

Paris is by far the most realized city they have ever made. It's stunning, beautiful, fun to traverse... I am sure I will go back and get all the chests / cockades / quests / mysteries / riddles / social clubs / co op rewards.... Okay, maybe not because good god ubisoft, stop putting so much in your games. I've already given you 30 hours just to get 50% sync and there is at least another 20 hours in city cleanup and another 10-20 in 100% all the main missions.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    temperature!temperature! Registered User regular
    For real. I've actually been wondering if there's a good comprehensive guide to all the stuff in the game, including the initiates stuff and companion app. I unlocked my first initiates chest, and got attacked immediately afterward so I have no clue what I really unlocked because the pop up disappeared.

XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine
  • Options
    CleveraliasCleveralias Registered User regular
    Anyone up for co-op high hyjinks on the Xbox One ? Hit me up at GT Cleveralias. I didn't see that anyone had created a club yet so I went ahead . Join me at AlmoutBlack [ERIS]

jpg.jpg
    XBox360/One/Steam - Cleveralias
    PSN - The_Vandingo
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    For real. I've actually been wondering if there's a good comprehensive guide to all the stuff in the game, including the initiates stuff and companion app. I unlocked my first initiates chest, and got attacked immediately afterward so I have no clue what I really unlocked because the pop up disappeared.

I believe it unlocks the full outfits in the customization menu.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    Does intimates actually work? My page just shows me at level 1 with no games attatched, when I know I've got quite a few attached to UPlay.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    re: the modern day stuff:
    I feel like we need a new modern protagonist.
    Since 3, we've been stuck with point-of-view characters that were presumably meant to be 'us', but that's meant we don't get any kind of interaction with them. People talk to us, but we don't get to talk back.
    As such, we get stuck as Abstergo stooges who aren't in on the big picture, and the Assassins don't tell us everything either.
    Something big might be going on, but no-one's telling us.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    The problem is they took the negative reaction to AC3's modern stuff to mean no one wanted any modern stuff ever again, and they've minimized it as much as they can ever since. But then ya got folks like me who wanted more modern stuff than we got in AC3! They half assed it, giving Desmond animations from Connor rather than preserving Ezio's, and Abstergo guards taking aim and firing their one shot flintlocks rather than unloading their goddamn semi auto glocks. Little details like that betrayed it, made it feel like an afterthought when it clearly wasn't; they built huge new areas for Desmond to go through! I think the only way they could've actually done it justice is dual release it like Unity and Rogue. Unity is Connor's game, Rogue is Desmonds, y'know?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    I forgive the gameplay carry-overs (putting a whole separate system in for a few levels is a lot more work than I'd expect them to put in)
    AC is never going to spend too much time in the present day, but I wonder how long it'll be before they start to really tie AC and Watch_Dogs together. They've already established a few links (ctOS references in AC4, and I think you kill someone from Abstergo in WD, and so on), and I think eventually they'll put more stuff in there.
    I would buy Dedsec as being linked to the Assassins, and so on.
    Plus the obvious name for the linked world (the Ubiverse) is too perfect to ignore.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I hope they just get rid of the modern day stuff completely and finally make the series just a historic murdering simulator

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I finally beat Rogue. It's pretty much AC4 but more of it. Definitely a quality game. I'm not sure I want to 100% it though, as that's 20 or so hours of hunting collectibles, especially when I have a whole other AC game to get through.

The AC games really need to make the side content more elaborate. They make huge worlds but don't do much beyond litter those worlds with collectibles. I wish they'd take some inspiration from the Rockstar games and have analogues to Red Dead Redemption's Strangers side missions or GTA's Strangers and Freaks. I'd love to have a little mission like that in each town or settlement to give them some much-needed personality.

I kind of want to jump into Unity, but that sounds like a bad experience at the moment.