As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Assassin's Creed] Syndicate is out and is apparently pretty damn good

• Options
    Fists of DissentFists of Dissent Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Patch 4 is supposed to be released tomorrow and it should fix most of the remaining issues, including framerate. I'm doubtful it can do much to lock the game at 30 FPS, though. The state of the game has improved by much since release and I'm hoping that the patch will boost the level of performance but I'm sure there will still be FPS dips every now and then.

Fists of Dissent on

T3NT0NH4MM3R.jpg
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Honestly, I can forgive technical issues. But no selectable hidden blade? No whistle? A dumbass plot that does to the French Revolution what everyone though AC3 would do to the American one?

Nah, fuck that.

Victory is going to need some Brotherhood level reviews to pique my interest.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Honestly I have no idea why people are so pissed about the hidden blade not being used in combat. It was utterly useless compared to other weapons and the combat animations were pretty bad.

I also don't care much for the whistle. Just throw a bomb somewhere.

T3NT0NH4MM3R.jpg
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Honestly I have no idea why people are so pissed about the hidden blade not being used in combat. It was utterly useless compared to other weapons and the combat animations were pretty bad.

Making hidden blade into a contextual button press means that sometimes the game will decide you "are not doing it right" and fail to function. This is a TERRIBLE THING to do to a 3D action game. Hidden blade in 2/Bro had no disadvantages compared to other weapons. They later weakened it, but there was no reason to do so.

• Options

?

The hidden blades were insta-kills if properly timed in AC1, and through out the series, despite having shorter counter windows and shorter ranges then swords, were continually devastating. They're the iconic weapons of the series. They're as much a part of Assassins as hoods and eagles, if not more so. Unity is the equivalent of having Samus using a machine gun for most of the game, while only switching to her suit's blaster for cutscenes.

• Options
    edited December 2014

Making hidden blade into a contextual button press means that sometimes the game will decide you "are not doing it right" and fail to function. This is a TERRIBLE THING to do to a 3D action game. Hidden blade in 2/Bro had no disadvantages compared to other weapons. They later weakened it, but there was no reason to do so.

Why? The only reason that would happen is if you were detected, prompting Arno to take out his sword. It's the exact same situation as if you had chosen the hidden blade but then the game decided your character should launch a melee strike animation instead of a stealthy kill.

Not being able to select the hidden blade is not the problem.

?

Unity is the equivalent of having Samus using a machine gun for most of the game, while only switching to her suit's blaster for cutscenes.

I'd say that's an over-exaggeration. I've played about 10 hours of Unity and used the hidden blade for a lot of that time, just outside of combat.

Fists of Dissent on

T3NT0NH4MM3R.jpg
  • Options
    I think he means that it limits your combat options. Sometimes I want to use a hidden blade exclusively during a mission, if I think it's appropriate. Sometimes I just used Connor's ax or Ezio's sword.

Because I had the options.

Instead, I just have a contextual hidden blade, a sword, and a less fun version of the blowgun.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Monger wrote: »
    Christ, how much better would it be as black man, or a man from India, or, dare I say it, a woman?!
    You could, mayhaps, play Freedom Cry (black man) or Liberation (black woman) and then you would know! And, while they haven't specifically had a protagonist from India, mind you that they did ship a full game, two handheld games, and other assorted content with an Arabic protagonist, as well as a game with a Native American protagonist. Also, China.

I played all of those. Be nice to do another triple A Assassins Creed with a less by the numbers protagonist. Like, Edward at least had some traits to make him interesting, a decent character arc and a great VA. But if Arno is a view of what's to come, and Assassin's Creed becomes a series of wry white British guys with stubble being snarky, I'll be disapointed.
    Honestly, the only thing that Unity and Victory are indicative of is that Ubisoft is now willing to buckle to fan pressure when selecting locations for future games, and that makes it likely that AC2017 would take place in Japan, which is the other commonly requested setting.

Man, please no Japan.

But dude.

Meiji Restoration/Boshin War.

Ninjas with Gatling guns!

Who was the guy in one of the AC threads who suggested a Meiji Restoration game where you play as a Shinshegumi who defects? That seemed like a great idea.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Wait what.
    Really?
    Contextual?
    Really?
    Hidden blade was the most powerful weapon in 1, 2 and bro. Since then its been continually nerfed and now you can't even fucking use it?
    Really?
    Fuck that shit.
    A large part of why I play these games is for animations and the hidden blade animations in combat have always been incredible.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Yep.

It's super dumb. Rogue still has it, though. Really, Rogue has a lot of things Unity needed, while Unity had the budget Rogue needed.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Meh, can't say I mind the change.

I always thought being able to block with the hidden blade looked stupid as all hell.

• Options
    You mostly redirect with it, as I recall. Besides, it's a superstrong blade of spacewizard magicks.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Variety is where it is at. You give me a simple, easy to play game with only a few combat options and I'll be bored halfway through it unless its plot is goddam incredible.
    Which is not a thing it is possible to say about any of the AC games. They're good games but they're hardly a story you need to have seen.
    I'm still kinda interested because I heard the stealth is a lot better, but I'm not suuuuuper into stealth games. I've always liked mastering the different weapon and item options in combat in these games. Even though it wasn't the least bit necessary, I still wanted to be perfect. It felt good.
    I spent hours in every game fighting enemies over and over and over. I killed 4000 mooks in AC3. There was a lot of stuff to learn.
    I still tried to get good at the stealth, but its never been something I'd throw that many hours into.
    Really doesn't sound like my kind of AC. I think I'll wait quite a while for this one.

Rogue sounds great though.

Like you know how annoying those assassin's look to fight and catch? That pleases me. I'm that kind of guy.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    I mean, I'm alright with some streamlining, sure. I don't mind the lack of small weapons in Black Flag, for instance. But I feel like Unity went way, way, way too far in that regard, and removed things that are actually useful and fun, like hidden blades, rope darts, whistling, sleep darts, that kind of thing.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Meh, I guess.

Just can't say I've ever thought AC combat was ever that challenging. I guess using the Hidden Blade was fun because it was devastating but actually more dangerous to use than your average weapon but game was still easy.

• Options
    It's not hard, no not at all. That's part of why I like having a bunch of different weapons to use, to spice things up.

• Options
    Morninglord Unity gives you a ton of weapons to experiment with in combat, even without the hidden blade, and they're actually different this time around.

T3NT0NH4MM3R.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I don't require a game to be hard. I make my own challenges.
    I just need it to have some depth in what you can learn and some variety in what you can learn.
    I don't need to be pushed to learn things. I deliberately go out and learn them because it is fun.
    I stop using the most effective strategies after a while and work on weapons that feel weaker, to see if there's any hidden tricks to them I haven't worked out yet.

That's how I worked out that unarmed is the most powerful weapon in revelations. You can wipe out those super dudes with unarmed because they wont counter or block if you mug them before you start punching them. They just eat it and fall over after a few punches. No long gruelling fight required. Iron Fist Ezio is not a monster they have been trained to deal with.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Christ, how much better would it be as black man, or a man from India, or, dare I say it, a woman?!
    You could, mayhaps, play Freedom Cry (black man) or Liberation (black woman) and then you would know! And, while they haven't specifically had a protagonist from India, mind you that they did ship a full game, two handheld games, and other assorted content with an Arabic protagonist, as well as a game with a Native American protagonist. Also, China.

I played all of those. Be nice to do another triple A Assassins Creed with a less by the numbers protagonist. Like, Edward at least had some traits to make him interesting, a decent character arc and a great VA. But if Arno is a view of what's to come, and Assassin's Creed becomes a series of wry white British guys with stubble being snarky, I'll be disapointed.
    Honestly, the only thing that Unity and Victory are indicative of is that Ubisoft is now willing to buckle to fan pressure when selecting locations for future games, and that makes it likely that AC2017 would take place in Japan, which is the other commonly requested setting.

Man, please no Japan.

But dude.

Meiji Restoration/Boshin War.

Ninjas with Gatling guns!

Who was the guy in one of the AC threads who suggested a Meiji Restoration game where you play as a Shinshegumi who defects? That seemed like a great idea.

The problem is that a lot of people in the West have this romanticized view of Feudal Japan that does not match up to reality. We get stupid stuff like katanas are the bestest sword ever and how badass the ninjas were and its like no, that's not reality at all.

I still want India, Ancient Egypt, or Pre-Colombian/shortly there after Central or South America.

Actually I take it back, I'll take a Japanese game if I can play as a killer geisha ala Shogun Total War.

http://youtu.be/ibAdi-q_EHA

http://youtu.be/1Lrs7Wei3BU

• Options
    Morninglord Unity gives you a ton of weapons to experiment with in combat, even without the hidden blade, and they're actually different this time around.

*unruffles feathers slightly*

Still.

It doesn't make sense to remove the most iconic one. That'll always be a sore spot.

• Options
    The problem is that a lot of people in the West have this romanticized view of Feudal Japan that does not match up to reality. We get stupid stuff like katanas are the bestest sword ever and how badass the ninjas were and its like no, that's not reality at all.

I know because constant suspension of belief and romanticizing assassins isn't what AC is about at all.

• Options
    Yeah. And that's not even getting into Ubisoft locking the top tier of weapons behind systems they have yet to activate.

• Options
    Either way...just give me a next-gen Tenchu already.

*Looks around*

*Crickets*

*Sobs*

• Options
    edited December 2014
    I may be mistaken but I think that they disabled the club competition requirements for the legendary gear.

*unruffles feathers slightly*

Still.

It doesn't make sense to remove the most iconic one. That'll always be a sore spot.

Yeah you won't care so much for that once you start smacking people around with a rifle. And if you're bored with that, why not try the nagitana?
    Feel like that's not quite enough for your tastes? Well there's always the scandinavian swordstaff...

Fists of Dissent on

T3NT0NH4MM3R.jpg
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Either way...just give me a next-gen Tenchu already.

*Looks around*

*Crickets*

*Sobs*

This is what confuses me everytime AC Japan comes up.

"Ninja games are so overdone and overexposed!"

Oh? You mean like Ninja Gaiden? That's a linear combat game with no exploration or stealth elements. It's not at all similar to the play experience of AC. The Naruto games are alternatively fighters or more similar to a DBZ game than a ninja game. Ninja Blade was just Ninja Gaiden with a different focus, as were Shinobi and Strider. Samurai Warriors and Sengoku Basara are just beat-em-up games in 3D. Tenchu comes the closest, but it's either pitifully primitive in comparison to even AC1 or terribly executed like, only sold in one store terrible.

So where are these massive piles of historical ninja games that play as 3D action adventures with exploration, stealth, etc? To my mind, AC Ninja Edition would EXPLODE a massively UNTAPPED market just by doing it's AC thing in a historically accurate Japanese setting with historically accurate characters.

• Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ninja_video_games

I'm just going to put this here and walk away cos if this doesn't convince people ninja's have been done nothing ever will.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Meiji Restoration-Boshin War/Satsuma Rebellion/etc. to my knowledge in videogames has been done all of ONCE.

That was Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai, which was an RTT/Turn-based campaign game. (Yes it is my favorite Total War).

I would love to see a semi-historically accurate AC game set in it.

• Options
    edited December 2014

I'm just going to put this here and walk away cos if this doesn't convince people ninja's have been done nothing ever will.

Think you kind of missed the point of what he just said.

Not to say that I care too much where the next AC is set but most of the arguments I've heard against Japan specifically are kind of weak at best.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Though I would say that Asia, Europe and America tend to be pretty well represented in games even if it isn't on the level of AC.

Would be cool to see the other places more.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Think you kind of missed the point of what he just said.

Not to say that I care too much where the next AC is set but most of the arguments I've heard against Japan specifically are kind of weak at best.

I think that Ninja's are so overused in everything that it will be completely impossible to make an AC game that does not have a been there done that feel. It'll feel old anyway, especially since AC is already feeling old.
    It wont be fair, it wont be logical or technically correct, but nevertheless it will feel "been there, done that". That's how overused the setting and theme are.

That said I think what they should do is make the damn game, as best they can, and get it out of the way, so we can hopefully see some far, far more interesting places and times.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I'm not 100% in love with the combat in Unity. It doesn't feel like Arno is a graceful machine of death. He's just a guy in robes who gets beat up by two lowly mooks. Black Flag was fine, I thought, where you have to parry and then counter. Taking away the counter makes me sad. I find myself just spamming smoke bombs in the fights so I don't get stabbed to death. If they want to keep this fighting system in newer games, I hope they at least pull the camera back some... I always get hit by some guy off screen that I never saw coming. Also, put in some kind of better indicator (like in ACIII or Black Flag) that someone off screen is about to shoot you. And bring back the ability to grab a guy to use as a shield!

Oh, and never do this lockpicking thing ever again. Ever! OMG, it's so bad...

Still loving the game as a whole though.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Unity is on sale for $30 today only on Amazon. In case anyone was waiting for a sale.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Oh, and never do this lockpicking thing ever again. Ever! OMG, it's so bad...

It's not so great and stupidly gated behind completing sequences, but the one in AC3 was worse. I needed my sister to mash the triggers or whatever for the final step since if you moved any of the previous steps even slightly it would force you to start from the beginning.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    I mean, I'm alright with some streamlining, sure. I don't mind the lack of small weapons in Black Flag, for instance. But I feel like Unity went way, way, way too far in that regard, and removed things that are actually useful and fun, like hidden blades, rope darts, whistling, sleep darts, that kind of thing.

To be fair to Unity, they have addressed the issue somewhat in past games, where the Assassins of Turkey used different weapons and items than those of Italy. So far we've only really seen those weapons used in North America and the Caribbean, where they were heavily influenced by Native Americans. I can see the logic of not having them use those weapons in France, which seems to give the Assassins an aristocratic feel.

I also actually really liked the gameplay of Unity, even if I disliked the story. Combat felt more visceral and the enemies more competent, though it did take away your ability to clear huge swaths of enemies in a single fight. Context of when to block, when to dodge, and when to go in for the stab made the combat have a much more back and forth feel. I had some epic swordfights with the high ranked enemies in Unity, of an intensity that some boss fights in the older games lacked.

• Options
    InxInx Registered User regular
    I do wish there was an unarmed option in Unity.

Savate is badass and I was hoping to go old boot on some fools.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    No unarmed? That's gonna really piss off that guy who has been doing pure unarmed runs of every game. Including Ac 1.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    WappaduWappadu Registered User regular
    Unity is on sale for $30 today only on Amazon. In case anyone was waiting for a sale.

I've been waiting for a holiday sale (and bug fixes) to pick this up. There probably won't be a better deal than $30 in the next 2-3 months, right?

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Wappadu wrote: »

I've been waiting for a holiday sale (and bug fixes) to pick this up. There probably won't be a better deal than $30 in the next 2-3 months, right?

If it continues to sell poorly it might have a permanent price drop soon. Not till after the holidays. But if Ubisoft isn't making money on it, even at 50% off, they will give it a permanent price reduction. It all depends on how well it sells while on sale.

If they can't even get people to buy it when it's 50%, they're likely going to just give up on it. Mark it down to $25 and see if they can break even on residual sales.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I really hope the low sales for Unity causes Ubisoft to take a good hard look at their design process for the AC games

and delay the next one a year, and stop using 15 studios on each game

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Me not buying it turned out to be a happy coincidence. I have purchased every AC game since AC1. I've been saying for a couple years now that I need a break. One per year is too much, even when they are good. But they aren't always good (looking at you AC3).

I had already decided to skip Unity before I heard of all the technical issues the game was having. This is the first AC game I have not preordered. I was intentionally skipping a year, so that next year I wouldn't be as burned out. But of course, it ended up being a good thing I skipped it since the game is apparently really bad.

Even if you excuse the technical flaws, I've heard the game just isn't very good. Weak protagonist, poor use of the theme/setting, and a combat system that steps the series back, almost as far as the first game.