Options

Now I have a [movies] thread, ho ho ho

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    I mean ok chincy i officially in my role as internet forum poster do not endorse the hacking of personal information

ok now that I have posted that on the internet and the world is back on track i guess i'll continue not caring and instead look at and talk about all the information i do not endorse

The argument could be made that the overall culture of apathy towards where information comes from is actually very dangerous, and that any contribution to that culture should be questioned

But I'm posting on the bus and who has time to phonepost that sort of thing

So instead I'll point out that a lot of your posts about this are coming off as kinda tackily aggressive

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I wish we had a second run theater here.

Yeah

I mean Matinees are pretty cheap and we actually have a soda/popcorn deal with free refills for 7 bucks so we usually can see a movie the two of us for 25, which isn't TERRIBLE, but still

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    One of my friends said that Premium Rush was going to be this generation's Hackers. And all I could think was "There's no way your fixie bullshit is getting anywhere near the magic that is Hackers."

Goddamn, I love me some Hackers.

Bicycle couriers: Motorcycle couriers that can't afford a motorcycle. Also for some reason weirdly self-important and very aggressive towards pedestrians when they're riding on footpaths.

Living and formerly working in a downtown core-

Bike couriers can quickly lock their ride up right outside a buildings entrance or sometimes even just roll their bike inside with them if the job doesn't require leaving the lobby. If you're on a motorcycle or scooter, your completion time just went way up because now you have to mess with parking garage availability and fees.

One thing that really stood out to me as "holy shit that's so simple, why didn't I think of that" when I visited Melbourne for PAXAus this year was legally parking motorbikes on the footpath. In many areas of the CBD the footpath is huge and there is heaps of empty space over near the road, and it is legal and free to just wheel up onto the sidewalk and park your bike up.

Granted, there are less places where that is viable in Perth because our sidewalks are narrower and more crowded, but fuck me if it wouldn't make it a LOT easier and faster for heaps of people to get in and out of the city by motorcycle if that was allowed here.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Re: information sources.

Why do you think that hard evidence allowed in criminal investigations is only permissible if obtained according to very specific laws and methods?

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    I mean ok chincy i officially in my role as internet forum poster do not endorse the hacking of personal information

ok now that I have posted that on the internet and the world is back on track i guess i'll continue not caring and instead look at and talk about all the information i do not endorse

The argument could be made that the overall culture of apathy towards where information comes from is actually very dangerous, and that any contribution to that culture should be questioned

But I'm posting on the bus and who has time to phonepost that sort of thing

So instead I'll point out that a lot of your posts about this are coming off as kinda tackily aggressive

then that's on me, but the idea that it's more ethical to talk about the information while at the same time couching it with "ok so this was wrong to do but" seems to be kind of useless. Information isn't the same thing as, say, an actual item that is stolen. You can't simply return the item because that item is essentially knowledge, and once it is out, it's out. The only solution is either to pretend the information doesn't exist, which is pretty much impossible to ask a culture to do, or to just deal with it and use what's out there because it now exists in the public arena.

And when it comes to the actually relevant things that this released, I think the latter is exactly what should happen.

Now, the gossipy stuff about who said what about whom is pretty useless and isn't the sort of thing that I'm seeking out, but that's also a judgement call that won't really hold up to scrutiny for me to say that one thing is better than the other. All I can say is that some of the stuff is definitely, in my opinion, very important to public discourse and now that it is available, needs to be talked about as much as possible. Watching the MPAA talk about how they can take advantage of a corrupt political system is the sort of stuff that everyone knows is happening, but actually seeing it is something else entirely.

And then just because it's interesting, seeing how movies are made for real has been something that I might have never seen otherwise, ever.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    I wish we had a second run theater here.

Yeah

I mean Matinees are pretty cheap and we actually have a soda/popcorn deal with free refills for 7 bucks so we usually can see a movie the two of us for 25, which isn't TERRIBLE, but still

I first read this and wondered why you were complaining about $7 manatees. Seven dollars is an amazing price for a manatee!

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    In my area, the trick to parking motorbikes and scooters seems to be locking it up like a regular bicycle and then just taking the license plate with you so they can't give you a ticket.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options

Why do you think that hard evidence allowed in criminal investigations is only permissible if obtained according to very specific laws and methods?

sure, but this isn't a court of law

• Options

How does that matter

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    In my area, the trick to parking motorbikes and scooters seems to be locking it up like a regular bicycle and then just taking the license plate with you so they can't give you a ticket.

Do motorcycles not have VINs?

• Options
    edited December 2014

How does that matter

the public arena doesn't require the same standards as a court of law. to convict someone of a crime, you have to obtain the information in a legal manner. to leak something publicly, you have to...get the information somehow.

It does not matter to the public how we know about the MPAA thing with Goliath. It just matters that the public knows. Now what that means or if anyone will care or do anything is one thing, but if, say, it were to become a big deal and the MPAA got tons of pressure about it, and they had to make a statement and back off or whatever, they can't say:

well hey this was a hack, this was illegal!

It doesn't matter. People know about it, they are not in a court of law. If the consumers got angry about this and made a bunch of noise, they can't ignore it because the information's source.

Langly on
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    am I seriously the only person who has seen Whiplash in this thread

s'matter with you people

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    I feel like a closer analogue to this hack would be the Jennifer Lawrence pictures. The outcome's different, but both are the product of a massive breach of privacy.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »

s'matter with you people

It got a pretty limited release, from what I can tell

Starting to get the feeling we're shifting towards a position where movies like Whiplash are best served as being on Netflix or something

Much like Snowpiercer has been

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »

s'matter with you people

It got a pretty limited release, from what I can tell

Starting to get the feeling we're shifting towards a position where movies like Whiplash are best served as being on Netflix or something

Much like Snowpiercer has been

maybe everybody should just move to LA

• Options
    also without giving anything away the last ten minutes of Whiplash would really lose something without an audience there with you

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    My girlfriend is a music teacher and a symphony performer so I am dying to know what she thinks of Whiplash

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    JayKaos wrote: »

Do motorcycles not have VINs?

Good question! I was basing that off of seeing scooters locked up without license plates all the time, and advice my brother was giving me when he was trying to get me to buy a scooter. I dunno if it actually keeps them from getting tickets now that I actually think about it.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Motorcycles have vins and titles

scooters don't even have license plates, they're in a different class of vehicle

• Options
    Apparently that varies by state though (the moped part)

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

s'matter with you people

It just looks really stressful to me okay

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular

s'matter with you people

It doesn't appear to be playing near me. I really want to see it though.

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    And today is the day I actually Google and see that indianapolis DOES have a second run theater

$1.50 movie tickets here I come

And to the guy who keeps posting about hesher- you aren't alone, hesher is pretty good

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Going to see Hobbit tomorrow. Can't wait.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

s'matter with you people

It just looks really stressful to me okay

well

yes

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    We don't have a second run theater nearby anymore. It became a specialized theater that runs some of the more artsy movies that other theaters don't carry. However, on Sunday our closest theater did a "Like us on Facebook and come in for a free movie" deal that we took advantage of. We finally took the kid to Big Hero Six. That was a spectacular movie. They're also doing all showings at noon on Christmas Eve for free so I think the wife and kid and niece will take advantage of that. Of course we still dropped money on appetizers because wings and mozzarella sticks are delicious but at least the tickets were free.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Also like
    I don't really have a whole lot of interest in what I understand the premise to be
    I don't really care about trying to earn the respect of complete asshole mentor figures

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Also like
    I don't really have a whole lot of interest in what I understand the premise to be
    I don't really care about trying to earn the respect of complete asshole mentor figures

that isn't quite the premise

in short the Miles Teller character has a few issues of his own

YaYa on
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I think GG just doesn't wanna see a movie about abusive asshole(s) being asshole(s)

Can't really blame him for that. I love JK Simmons to death but don't really wanna see him be a massive tyrannical dickbag for two hours

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Man, I've never even heard of a second run theatre until now and yours are playing shit that hasn't even been released here yet.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I think GG just doesn't wanna see a movie about abusive asshole(s) being asshole(s)

Can't really blame him for that. I love JK Simmons to death but don't really wanna see him be a massive tyrannical dickbag for two hours

Man Blank

You literally just summed up my distaste for half the big dramas people try to get me to watch

I would add the addendum "unless it is for comedic effect"

• Options
    Fishman wrote: »
    Man, I've never even heard of a second run theatre until now and yours are playing shit that hasn't even been released here yet.

They are also often referred to as "dollar theaters"

• Options
    I'm kinda the same way

I just don't like seeing movies where it is all just people ACTING and being assholes to each other, even if they give great performances

Like not everything needs to be a popcorn blockbuster or a comedy obviously but I prefer my dramas in the vein of, shit, I dunno, The Departed? Full of assholes but also good people and humor

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I'm kinda the same way

I just don't like seeing movies where it is all just people ACTING and being assholes to each other, even if they give great performances

Like not everything needs to be a popcorn blockbuster or a comedy obviously but I prefer my dramas in the vein of, shit, I dunno, The Departed? Full of assholes but also good people and humor

Yeah

I mean I can recognize that say, There Will be Blood is a good movie

but I hated hated hated watching it

• Options
    I almost put American Hustle just to see you go into a frothing rage

(I do really like American Hustle)

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    BUT EVERYONE IN AMERICAN HUSTLE IS AWFUL

EXCEPT ONE GUY AND THEY TOTALLY FUCK HIM

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Louis CK is the real hero of American Hustle

• Options
    BUT EVERYONE IN AMERICAN HUSTLE IS AWFUL

EXCEPT ONE GUY AND THEY TOTALLY FUCK HIM
    But they're funny and likable and Irving isn't totally awful

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Fishman wrote: »

U-S-A! U-S-A!

• Options
    goddammit listen

do you guys like the first half of Full Metal Jacket

do you like drumming

yes?

GO SEE WHIPLASH THAT IS LITERALLY WHAT THE MOVIE IS

This discussion has been closed.