Options

[Monster Hunter] MH4U is released!

• Options
    ZanshinretsuZanshinretsu About 20% more deathstare Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    They need to add a part that has rideable monsters like those rodeo bull things you see. I'd probably pay money to do that.

My studio's main site
    PSN: Zanshiretsu <-- misspelled because I am dumb.
  • Options
    R-KR-K Registered User regular
    Is it just my imagination or did they change the controls for bow? I feel like it used to be X to load an arrow and R to aim, but in the demo it is R to load and X to aim (and I always slash now when taking out the bow).

3DS: 2036-7005-8111 Shiny:2737
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    R-K wrote: »
    Is it just my imagination or did they change the controls for bow? I feel like it used to be X to load an arrow and R to aim, but in the demo it is R to load and X to aim (and I always slash now when taking out the bow).

You can switch it back to classic control in the actual release.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    Bow controls can be toggled in the demo, too. Open the menu during a hunt and explore the Options.

3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Not having been a bow user, I've heard the new method is actually more conducive to aiming without having to claw?

Apparently there's also some changes with default camera settings (vertical auto-adjust) and I need to see how I had my dodge orientation set up previously. I think I may have chosen one way for underwater fights though character based dodging probably works better.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    IceBurner wrote: »
    Bow controls can be toggled in the demo, too. Open the menu during a hunt and explore the Options.

Too bad the demo doesn't remember this or any other changes, so you have to do this every time. I mean... that's to be expected, but still.

• Options
    ZanshinretsuZanshinretsu About 20% more deathstare Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I picked up some MH merch recently to test the product quality over at Redbubble. Overall, they do a pretty good quality job. I wish their sticker template had an option for a larger size but the images still came out crisp on everything. I had to replace my phone recently so that case is the Galaxy S5. The image print on that is sharp as well.

My studio's main site
    PSN: Zanshiretsu <-- misspelled because I am dumb.
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Good stuff and not-so-good stuff tonight.

Good stuff: Upgraded my Rimeblade to a Rimeblossom and then to Rime & Treason. New strongest Longsword in my box! Also got my first one-quest Ceadeus kill.

Not-so-good stuff: Trying to finish my Helios set. In two Ceadeus hunts I didn't carve a single Crooked Horn. I'm actually kind of upset about it.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    I have the sudden urge to visit Universal Studios Japan.

A park full of monsters that could kill you - what could possibly go wrong?

Now I'm going to be playing MH and saying, "clever girl" if I get caught off guard.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    I picked up some MH merch recently to test the product quality over at Redbubble. Overall, they do a pretty good quality job. I wish their sticker template had an option for a larger size but the images still came out crisp on everything. I had to replace my phone recently so that case is the Galaxy S5. The image print on that is sharp as well.

So far I only have one MH shirt from them but it would be really easy to dig deeper and get a bunch of stuff.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Whatever I choose, I'll miss out on some cool armour. Same character can't have both cool diver-Rhenoplos and cool mech-Nerscylla Z.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Seidkona on
  • Options
    Many pictures.
    http://bbs.tgbus.com/thread-5522440-1-1.html
    http://bbs.tgbus.com/thread-5522405-1-1.html

Argh, some of them look different from different angles.

• Options
    I really like the Chaos Gore Magala armor, both how it looks and it's skill set. It'll end up being my elemental armor most likely if I can get the right charm.

• Options
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Haha. That's getting added to the OP.

Did some updating of the OP. Replaced the old MH3U Screenshots with new MH4U ones.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    Those guys do some hilarious MH stuff. The Halloween video is especially good.

• Options
    I love the Jaggi chugging vodka.

• Options
    Does excavated stuff really have random stuff? Or are they just randomly acquired like charms?

Philia-set localised to Storge-set? That sounds like an interesting story.

• Options
    PLA wrote: »
    Does excavated stuff really have random stuff? Or are they just randomly acquired like charms?

Philia-set localised to Storge-set? That sounds like an interesting story.

They are both randomly acquired and have randomized stats to some degree.

• Options
    Geez, the Japanese MH4 took away DB's natural Razor Sharp? (MH4U returned it, thankfully.)

Even with the Razor Sharp skill — which I always used once I found it — on top of that I still burned through sharpness like mad in 3U. I can only imagine what a hellscape not having the inherent sharpness must have been.

• Options
    I've been watching a lot of streams since MH4 came out and the DB pretty much went by the wayside in MH

People just stopped using it because it was near impossible to keep it's sharpness up even with razor sharp.

• Options
    Yeah especially with that new spin move I can easily envision a beginner-level weapon going from green to red with like a single button press.

• Options
    The general comment at the time from every English streamer was "If this isn't reverted you can pretty much forget about ever having fun with DB's"

Luckily it was. They also messed up SnS in MH4, though not as bad, by taking away it's bonus modifier to Elemental(and I think status). That was also reverted with MH4G/U.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    That's kind of shitty. I am glad all that was reverted. Yeah, DB was terrible as it was, even with Razor Sharp in 3U.

Also, has anyone talked about the brilliance of the gear in the 4U demo yet? GS with Paralyze?! SnS with Sleep?!?! DB that do nothing?!?!!!

• Options
    edited January 2015
    That's kind of shitty. I am glad all that was reverted. Yeah, DB was terrible as it was, even with Razor Sharp in 3U.

Also, has anyone talked about the brilliance of the gear in the 4U demo yet? GS with Paralyze?! SnS with Sleep?!?! DB that do nothing?!?!!!

I honestly think they picked the Demo gear for how it looked and considered no other factor.

Hell, they even lock you out of looking at the equipment screen because, from what I can tell, all hunters have the same skills regardless of what you pick.

Edit: Don't get me wrong it's the best demo they've made so far but it really only encapsulates the fighting portion of it. All the tactical choices are not there. I don't know how you pass that experience on in the demo anyway but I just try to make sure people know that there's a lot deeper experience there than the demo is giving anyone a glimpse at.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    I'd say you're probably correct. The weapon choices are just weird. I'm not expecting some kind of min-max, but surely they could have done better than sleep SnS and Paralyze GS. In all my huntings, I've never paralyzed a monster with that weapon. Like, it's worthless.

• Options
    I'd say you're probably correct. The weapon choices are just weird. I'm not expecting some kind of min-max, but surely they could have done better than sleep SnS and Paralyze GS. In all my huntings, I've never paralyzed a monster with that weapon. Like, it's worthless.

I honestly don't know why there are status GS's. It seems really against the weapon design to even bother making them.

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Status on GS seems like it's only really good when playing in a group with other peeps who have that same status effect.

• Options
    My buddy has a poison GS. I think he uses the Miasmethys. Basically, first hit poisons the monster. After that poison wears off, in three hits it's poisoned again. He can keep the monster poisoned nearly 100% of the time. Great for fighting Lagiacrux, for instance.

In 3U, there are no LR status GS. Because they'd be stupid. Just like they are in 4U.

They only become worth something in HR and GR because you are more into the min-maxing and that kind of stuff plays a major role.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    vamen wrote: »
    Status on GS seems like it's only really good when playing in a group with other peeps who have that same status effect.

Sure. I think it's more meant for people who don't skill into status attack up or high crit with status critical up. My status sets all have some form of boost on them and it's really a waste for the GS to intentionally drop their raw and lose out on a decent amount of DPS just to insure my first para goes off one hit sooner.

edit: I'm being that guy. I apologize. a little.

edit 2: Poison makes sense because it's the only status where the counter can fill up while the monster is suffering from the effect.

Seidkona on
  • Options

I got by just fine.

Considering that you can't actually inflict status effects with your weapons in the demo (paralyze knives work, though) it really doesn't matter too much. I think the DS were ice element.

• Options
    I know you did, Vy. Damned DB all up ins. I still found it kind of difficult and annoying. *Clink* *bounce* Sharpness lost *swearing* *repeat*.

You can inflict status with the ranged weapons in the demo. Though it wouldn't surprise me that they took it out of the melee weapons.

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Anyone happen to have an extra demo? One of my students was looking for one if no one on the forum needed one.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      You can inflict status with the ranged weapons in the demo. Though it wouldn't surprise me that they took it out of the melee weapons.

Definitely off for melee; I know the poison LS did nothing. But leaving it on for ranged seems plausible.

• Options
      DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
      Two weeks, SO HYPE!! I will finally be able to play this with you all!

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
    • Options
      DarkMecha wrote: »
      Two weeks, SO HYPE!!

Give or take a couple of days for delivery...

• Options
      Two weeks, SO HYPE!!

I upgraded to overnight in a vain attempt to try and get it on time.

• Options
      Entaru wrote: »
      Two weeks, SO HYPE!!

I upgraded to overnight in a vain attempt to try and get it on time.

I have higher hopes of the N3DS bundle getting here before the CE, which Amazon somehow doesn't even have a date for yet.