As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This [Steam] thread is old and broken. Go to the new one!

• Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Guys... Please do me a big favor, and not buy Evolve.

This. This is ridiculous. It's a $60 game

My desire to purchase Evolve stopped right here.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    I found it hard to get too incensed over a bunch of skins.

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    As someone who was on the fence about Evolve, the mess of DLC/pre-order rewards/special editions is definitely enough to turn me off of the whole thing. The pricing being set as if this was a free-to-play game is it's own turn-off, but just the overwhelming amount of content they're announcing that I know I won't have access to just makes me feel like I don't even want to bother. I mean, look at this:
    Here are your options as a potential Evolve player. You can…

-Buy the $60 game, on the day it launches, for access to 12 hunters and three monsters.

-Buy the $80 Digital Deluxe Edition, on the day the game launches, for access to 12 hunters, three monsters, three exclusive monster skins, and four extra hunters in the spring. Total of 16 hunters, three monsters, three monster skins.

-Buy the $60 game at launch for access to 12 hunters and three monsters and, later in the spring, buy the Hunting Season Pass in the spring for $25 to get four new hunters and three exclusive monster skins for a total of $85. Total of 16 hunters, three monsters, three monster skins.

-Buy the $60 game at launch for access to 12 hunters and three monsters and, later in the spring, buy new hunters individually for $7.50 each, up to $30 total for a grand total of $90. Total of 16 hunters, three monsters.

-Pre-purchase the $60 game for access to 12 hunters and three monsters—all unlocked instantly instead of through play—and, later in the spring, the fourth Behemoth monster and a Goliath skin. Total of 12 hunters, four monsters and one extra skin.

-Pre-purchase the $80 Digital Deluxe Edition for access to 12 hunters, three monsters, four exclusive monster skins, and four extra hunters and one extra monster in the spring. Total of 16 hunters, four monsters, four extra skins.

-Buy the $100 PC Monster Race Edition for access to 18 hunters, four monsters, four monster skins. The extra PC content will be available to console players for purchase after 30 days.
    Pre-purchase the $100 PC Monster Race Edition for access to 18 hunters, five monsters, four monster skins. The extra PC content will be available to console players for purchase after 30 days.

Everything about the game's release feels like I'm getting pushed by an over-aggressive salesman at a used car dealership. I don't like the feeling that I better pre-purchase this $80 version now, or else the stuff in it is going to cost me triple if I change my mind and want it later! Oh and don't you actually want to pre-purchase this $100 version? Best value!

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    As someone who was on the fence about Evolve, the mess of DLC/pre-order rewards/special editions is definitely enough to turn me off of the whole thing. The pricing being set as if this was a free-to-play game is it's own turn-off, but just the overwhelming amount of content they're announcing that I know I won't have access to just makes me feel like I don't even want to bother. I mean, look at this:

-Buy the $60 game, on the day it launches, for access to 12 hunters and three monsters.

-Buy the $80 Digital Deluxe Edition, on the day the game launches, for access to 12 hunters, three monsters, three exclusive monster skins, and four extra hunters in the spring. Total of 16 hunters, three monsters, three monster skins.

-Buy the $60 game at launch for access to 12 hunters and three monsters and, later in the spring, buy the Hunting Season Pass in the spring for $25 to get four new hunters and three exclusive monster skins for a total of $85. Total of 16 hunters, three monsters, three monster skins.

-Buy the $60 game at launch for access to 12 hunters and three monsters and, later in the spring, buy new hunters individually for $7.50 each, up to $30 total for a grand total of $90. Total of 16 hunters, three monsters.

-Pre-purchase the $60 game for access to 12 hunters and three monsters—all unlocked instantly instead of through play—and, later in the spring, the fourth Behemoth monster and a Goliath skin. Total of 12 hunters, four monsters and one extra skin.

-Pre-purchase the $80 Digital Deluxe Edition for access to 12 hunters, three monsters, four exclusive monster skins, and four extra hunters and one extra monster in the spring. Total of 16 hunters, four monsters, four extra skins.

-Buy the $100 PC Monster Race Edition for access to 18 hunters, four monsters, four monster skins. The extra PC content will be available to console players for purchase after 30 days.
    Pre-purchase the $100 PC Monster Race Edition for access to 18 hunters, five monsters, four monster skins. The extra PC content will be available to console players for purchase after 30 days.

Everything about the game's release feels like I'm getting pushed by an over-aggressive salesman at a used car dealership. I don't like the feeling that I better pre-purchase this $80 version now, or else the stuff in it is going to cost me triple if I change my mind and want it later! Oh and don't you actually want to pre-purchase this $100 version? Best value!

But act now and I'll throw in this meat-inna-bun for free! And that's cutting-me-own-throat!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Yeah, even if the game itself is decent (which I know it is) I really can't support these kind of sales practices. It's just scummy.

• Options
    The behind-the-scenes bottom line numbers for Evolve would be interesting to see. That DLC model really is just ripped directly from free-to-play games, but with a $60 box up front as well. I would be very curious to know how well it works out for them. The whole thing almost feels analogous to the MMO market's struggle with subscriptions and cash shops, and I can see Evolve making some serious course adjustments if the numbers don't come in like they want, just like most MMOs end up doing. Or they'll just rake in the cash using the "whale" model of cash-shop driven mobile games. Who knows!

All that said, I thought the game was pretty fun in the beta, just not $60 + $$$$$ = fun. Those numbers in that equation could totally be adjusted in a way that results in me getting the game at some point though.

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular

Like half of these are stretches. LIke why does Game with season pass, Game + season pass later, game + buying season pass content piecemeal need three bulletpoints? Dozens of games have that sort of thing and it's a pretty basic setup. The Digital and PC Monster Race (groan at that name) are a bit much but I think people are overselling this.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    I know questions on Bioshock 2's unavailability rose recently and here is a small update:
    "BioShock 2 has been temporarily removed from the Steam, Xbox Live, and PlayStation Network marketplaces and will return to these digital stores soon. We'll let you know when that happens. In the meantime, this in no way affects the singleplayer or multiplayer experience for those who currently own BioShock 2."

So nothing on the reason why it was taken down but it will return.

Concerning Evolve, I only jumped on due to GMG's deal making the digital deluxe version $60. I doubt I'll drop a penny more on this game. Doesn't make what they are doing any less scummy.

• Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    Evolve just isn't something I see myself playing anytime soon. I thought I would play the hell out of Titanfall, so I bought the edition with all the DLC. I played it for 2 weeks then went on to something else. I have a feeling it would be the same thing with Evolve, for me at least.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Corpekata wrote: »

Like half of these are stretches. LIke why does Game with season pass, Game + season pass later, game + buying season pass content piecemeal need three bulletpoints? Dozens of games have that sort of thing and it's a pretty basic setup. The Digital and PC Monster Race (groan at that name) are a bit much but I think people are overselling this.

Well, that list is more to illustrate that it's pretty complicated to figure out what you're getting for your money if you buy this game today vs yesterday. I agree that a lot of that is standard these days and usually doesn't bother me that much. For me personally, Evolve's DLC model is just priced out of the range that I'm comfortable participating in, but the stuff they're selling (Hunters, Monsters) is too meaningful for me to feel comfortable ignoring it. If it was just skins, I would buy the game and not buy very many skins, if any, and be happy.

I don't know, I admit that a lot of it is probably mostly psychological.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    i can't imagine evolve not dropping significantly in price pretty fast.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    I'm kinda expecting F2P by next year.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    The thing about exclusive pre-order content is that if you wait long enough it becomes available to everybody anyway. An if it doesn't, then it probably isn't worth getting. The 'I need access to everything' mentality isn't any better.

• Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    mts wrote: »
    i can't imagine evolve not dropping significantly in price pretty fast.

Titanfall went from $60 to $5 in the span of 7 months with similar hype, so I could see this happening.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    A lot of chatter from the crews of @Pixelated Pixie and @CorriganX 's ships. Y'all go ahead. Over here on @jclast 's unlicensed daycare of a ship, we'll just sail quietly by, like it's nap time and we're trying to get some gaming in.

shdwcaster on
  • Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    Idx86 wrote: »

Same here. That DLC is way over the top. It's a shame too because I enjoyed the Alpha and Beta. Oh well, my wallet sighs in relief.

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    shdwcaster wrote: »
    A lot of chatter from the crews of @Pixelated Pixie and @CorriganX 's ships. Y'all go ahead. Over here on @jclast 's unlicensed daycare of a ship, we'll just sail quietly by, like it's nap time and we're trying to get some gaming in.

Don't you worry, @shdwcaster and @jclast. I'm ready to Communicate the other ships asses off and Culture them into submission if I need to. Now let's all go have tea and talk about our feelings!

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    ElementWrathElementWrath Perplexingly Soft MichiganRegistered User regular
    What is Steam Battle anyways?

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    To be fair on the Good Ship Firebird we've been quietly plotting and scheming and planning the demise of all the other ships. We've been debating the pros and cons of the various means to quickly and decisively destroy all that get in our path.

That and we're trying to figure out what Taylor Swift song we're all about right now. Some people seem all about the new hotness of Style, but others keep going back to Mean. Myself, I'm All About that Bass and say they should jump on that sweet sweet Meghan Trainor train.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Blank Space or I lead a mutiny

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    What is Steam Battle anyways?

A brilliant and epic interactive forum game engineered by mastermind @akajaybay.

Last year's battle was a gladitorial tournament set in a Roman-themed world, with abundant combat, intrigue and kebabs.

This year's is space exploration themed, and is just getting going. FAQ here.

EDIT: Oh and it's also a massive game giveaway! As generous as that is of akajaybay, it always seems to take a mental backseat to the in-game action for me. :)

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular

Don't you worry, @shdwcaster and @jclast. I'm ready to Communicate the other ships asses off and Culture them into submission if I need to. Now let's all go have tea and talk about our feelings!

Things are wonderful aboard the USS Friendship.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    an_alt wrote: »

Things are wonderful aboard the USS Friendship.

The crew of the USS Friendship

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    edited February 2015
    So it's too late to sign up for Steam Battle, could I volunteer to write some of the segments though? @akajaybay

ElementWrath on
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular

Same here. That DLC is way over the top. It's a shame too because I enjoyed the Alpha and Beta. Oh well, my wallet sighs in relief.

Full disclosure: I got a copy from 2K for doing some pre-release streams with Turtle Rock - Beheamoth DLC wasn't included but the extra hunters are.

The way I look at the DLC is kind of like Payday 2. That game has a ton of DLC for added heists and extra weapons. If Payday 2 had all their DLC strategy revealed prior to launch there would have been a similar outroar, but it seems to do very well. In Payday if one person in your party owns a piece of heist DLC then everyone in that party can play it - weapons are gated but the actual meat of the content is not.

Evolve is similar - additional characters will be behind a paywall, however it won't split up the userbase like more traditional DLC models (Battlefield, Titanfall, Call of Duty). The 4th monster is expensive as hell, but given how critical monsters are to the core gameplay, and how 1/5th of the time you won't be playing as a monster I just look at it as an extra challenge that will be encountered now and then by people who have a strong desire to play this 4th monster.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    OrivonOrivon Happy Fun Ball They/ThemRegistered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    Antoshka wrote: »
    Well, if I'm on Pixie's ship, I guess a new av is required to deal with the pink requirements.

Good point.

Yeah, felt that I needed to fix that or @Pixelated Pixie might "accidentally" jettison me.

• Options
    That reminds me, what ever happened with that late November pinkening outbreak?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Suds wrote: »

Full disclosure: I got a copy from 2K for doing some pre-release streams with Turtle Rock - Beheamoth DLC wasn't included but the extra hunters are.

The way I look at the DLC is kind of like Payday 2. That game has a ton of DLC for added heists and extra weapons. If Payday 2 had all their DLC strategy revealed prior to launch there would have been a similar outroar, but it seems to do very well. In Payday if one person in your party owns a piece of heist DLC then everyone in that party can play it - weapons are gated but the actual meat of the content is not.

Evolve is similar - additional characters will be behind a paywall, however it won't split up the userbase like more traditional DLC models (Battlefield, Titanfall, Call of Duty). The 4th monster is expensive as hell, but given how critical monsters are to the core gameplay, and how 1/5th of the time you won't be playing as a monster I just look at it as an extra challenge that will be encountered now and then by people who have a strong desire to play this 4th monster.

I think a big difference between Payday 2's DLC and Evolve is more alot of little things adding up:

Payday 2 didn't come out of the gates swinging like Evolve does

Payday 2's a co-op game so any percieved 'imbalances' between paid and not paid content don't matter.

Payday 2 isn't a triple A title that charges a full £40 at launch.

Essentially while Payday has a bunch of DLC (of which I own 90% of) it's being presented as the developer going 'oh, you guys like this? Well have some more'. Unlike Evolve which kinda feels like 'marketing research says we can get away with charging $X and the launch window is when the most added content will be brought so best get those season passes out'.

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Fear not, officers and crew of the S.S. Daycare. I'll be much less grumpy and more communicative after I complete my benefits elections at work. Prices are going up, coverage is going down, and I feel like I'm gambling with my family's health as I weigh the options. Canada, and/or the UK - any time you want to infect us with your socialized health care, feel free!

After that, though? We're going to space it up like nobody's business.

NDN0nfS.jpg

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    Fear not, officers and crew of the S.S. Daycare. I'll be much less grumpy and more communicative after I complete my benefits elections at work. Prices are going up, coverage is going down, and I feel like I'm gambling with my family's health as I weigh the options. Canada, and/or the UK - any time you want to infect us with your socialized health care, feel free!

NDN0nfS.jpg

But what should we do with all the Jergens, sir?

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Do whatever you want with the lotions. We get shipments regularly.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    So it's too late to sign up for Steam Battle, could I volunteer to write some of the segments though? akajaybay
    Might be kind of tough, although the individual segments on this one are probably much more self contained with less weird background story apart from maybe the start and end. The goal is to make the stuff going on on each ship sort of the overarching story for the most part. What I wouldn't mind once things are rolling is probably some scenario ideas, which once it's up an running will make more sense. But basically here's the deal at this spot, you send 4 people. And a bit of a branching tree path depending on outcomes. You can never have too much of it written out ahead of time since the way it goes is somewhat variable and often funny ideas present themselves as it goes along. One of my favorite matches of the old game is still the Heenato v Brutal J fight. It just would not end and it was getting exhausting coming up with more chunks of text. But then it ended in one big go, and I rather liked the punchline in the end.
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/29235671/#Comment_29235671

I'm probably a bit in over my head again, but it worked out ok last time so I'm sure it won't be a problem this time either :P

I have already gotten some really great stuff from @HiT BiT on the side that I have been struggling to save for a better moment.

Which is my next goal, to get the official thread for it up and running so all the Battle stuff is in one place and I don't get myself in trouble for jamming up the Steam thread.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Krummith wrote: »
    I finished Dragon Age Origins! Woo!
    Now to delve into the DLC that came with it.
    I'm also trying to decide if I should play DA2 next, or not.
    By the DLC do you mean Awakening? That's what you should play next. It's a pretty good length on its own.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    I know questions on Bioshock 2's unavailability rose recently and here is a small update:
    "BioShock 2 has been temporarily removed from the Steam, Xbox Live, and PlayStation Network marketplaces and will return to these digital stores soon. We'll let you know when that happens. In the meantime, this in no way affects the singleplayer or multiplayer experience for those who currently own BioShock 2."

licensed music

• Options
    Zavian wrote: »

licensed music

Can we just mod that back in, like with Vice City and all their Michael Jackson songs?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    akajaybay wrote: »
    One of my favorite matches of the old game is still the Heenato v Brutal J fight. It just would not end and it was getting exhausting coming up with more chunks of text. But then it ended in one big go, and I rather liked the punchline in the end.

That was indeed a great fight. I also like that as it rages along the thread also sees the arrival of @Halfazedninja and the conclusion of @an_alt 's pornography contest. :)

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    So it's too late to sign up for Steam Battle, could I volunteer to write some of the segments though? akajaybay
    Might be kind of tough, although the individual segments on this one are probably much more self contained with less weird background story apart from maybe the start and end. The goal is to make the stuff going on on each ship sort of the overarching story for the most part. What I wouldn't mind once things are rolling is probably some scenario ideas, which once it's up an running will make more sense. But basically here's the deal at this spot, you send 4 people. And a bit of a branching tree path depending on outcomes. You can never have too much of it written out ahead of time since the way it goes is somewhat variable and often funny ideas present themselves as it goes along. One of my favorite matches of the old game is still the Heenato v Brutal J fight. It just would not end and it was getting exhausting coming up with more chunks of text. But then it ended in one big go, and I rather liked the punchline in the end.

I'm probably a bit in over my head again, but it worked out ok last time so I'm sure it won't be a problem this time either :P

I have already gotten some really great stuff from @HiT BiT on the side that I have been struggling to save for a better moment.

Which is my next goal, to get the official thread for it up and running so all the Battle stuff is in one place and I don't get myself in trouble for jamming up the Steam thread.
    I'm not actually sure what you just asked me to do.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular

I'm not actually sure what you just asked me to do.

he politely said no thanks

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    jclast wrote: »

NDN0nfS.jpg

But what should we do with all the Jergens, sir?

Squirt it on the elbows of a homeless man with a long Steam backlog.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Zavian wrote: »

licensed music

Can we just mod that back in, like with Vice City and all their Michael Jackson songs?

There are some aspects of the digital age that really get annoying. Licensing issues that screw the customer are definitely one of them.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
This discussion has been closed.