As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Choose Your Own [Conspiracy Theories]

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    So, the Business Plot. Real or not? Anybody know enough about this to make a verdict?

It was real they just didn't have enough proof to convict anyone.

General Butler was not a good choice for them.
    "My interest is, my one hobby is, maintaining a democracy. If you get these 500,000 soldiers advocating anything smelling of Fascism, I am going to get 500,000 more and lick the hell out of you, and we will have a real war right at home."

The Cracked podcast said he was the only Morally good Smedly in history.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    There was a 2012 commercial by Red Bull aired in apparently significant part of the worlds where it's implied that Red Bull gives Jesus the ability to walk on water.
    It caused some controversy.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Archangle wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bntfUA6TmLs

I don't know why I find this one funny, I just do.

Maybe it's because if Satan were real and needed to find a way into the Christian home, he might find a better way of doing it than on a Monster energy drink can.
    Why is she trying to wrangle the Ø as a cross when there's a perfectly serviceable T right there?

Secret illuminati codes. Hope that helps.

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular

Maybe it's because if Satan were real and needed to find a way into the Christian home, he might find a better way of doing it than on a Monster energy drink can.
    Why is she trying to wrangle the Ø as a cross when there's a perfectly serviceable T right there?

It's more of a Φ.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Fascist coup instigated by Prescott Bush and other Wall Street types to install General Smedley Butler as dictator of the USA.

And then we go and elect his son and grandson(s if god hates us) to president.

America!

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    Fascist coup instigated by Prescott Bush and other Wall Street types to install General Smedley Butler as dictator of the USA.

And then we go and elect his son and grandson(s if god hates us) to president.

America!

It's not like America has that in schools or the news. It wasn't even mentioned on that liberal echochamber MSNBC.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I like how, in the years, the article has changed from listing all the people involved in the plot to just blaming one guy.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    In 2005, MIT grad students did a study on the effectiveness of tinfoil hats. Abstract:
    Among a fringe community of paranoids, aluminum helmets serve as the protective measure of choice against invasive radio signals. We investigate the efficacy of three aluminum helmet designs on a sample group of four individuals. Using a $250,000 network analyser, we find that although on average all helmets attenuate invasive radio frequencies in either directions (either emanating from an outside source, or emanating from the cranium of the subject), certain frequencies are in fact greatly amplified. These amplified frequencies coincide with radio bands reserved for government use according to the Federal Communication Commission (FCC). Statistical evidence suggests the use of helmets may in fact enhance the government's invasive abilities. We speculate that the government may in fact have started the helmet craze for this reason.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Garthor wrote: »

It's more of a Φ.

Also relevant, why is the Φ a cross that you flip upside-down when you drink? It's a symmetrical shape. Couldn't it be an upside-down cross that you put right-side up when you drink? Therefore drinking monster restores the cross and displays it on high, spreading Christianity upon the world!

sig.gif
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    If you look at the font of the brand name, it's not a symmetrical Φ

monster-energy-drink.png

But it's still obviously supposed to be handwriting with each individual stroke accentuated, not a cross.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    But it's still obviously supposed to be handwriting with each individual stroke accentuated, not a cross.

That's just what they want you to think. Don't be a sheeple, be a people!

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular

I was going to make a joke about not quite buying that theory as I didn't think a rejection of MILFs necessarily lined up with Christian theology, but then I thought for a bit and then realised that actually that's entirely true. Numbers 31:17-18.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    lol I was under the assumption that the earth's rotation was slowing anyways, so the 5 minute change in our time would be necessary.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth's_rotation

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Nope, conspiracy! Jeebus coming!

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I never thought I'd see the day when the Earth has shiften.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Richy wrote: »
    Garthor wrote: »

It's more of a Φ.

Also relevant, why is the Φ a cross that you flip upside-down when you drink? It's a symmetrical shape. Couldn't it be an upside-down cross that you put right-side up when you drink? Therefore drinking monster restores the cross and displays it on high, spreading Christianity upon the world!

Well the upside down cross is actually a symbol of humility, as St. Peter the first pope chose to be crucified upside down as he felt he did not deserve to die in the same fashion Jesus Christ did.

So the upside down "Satanic/Evil" cross is a thing ignorant geese do, and it wouldn't matter anyway.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    Ok, so I must ask just for the sake of asking. Massive earthquake shifts the axis slightly.

So...?

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    So over the weekend I was talking to my dad. Generally he's pretty level headed and realistic.

I don't recall exactly how we got on the topic, but he matter-of-factly mentioned a monorail / mag-lev train that runs underground from Naval Base San Diego to Edwards Air Force Base to Area 51 as an 'oh, it exists' thing.

Although the people saying there is a mag-lev train from Area 51 to the Pentagon? Conspiracy theorists.

It's a bit hard to ask your dad where he got such a crazy idea, but I think once I actually got him to think about it he realized it was a bit out there.

Sigh. Guess this is what I have to look forward to when he gets older.

• Options
    zagdrob wrote: »
    So over the weekend I was talking to my dad. Generally he's pretty level headed and realistic.

I don't recall exactly how we got on the topic, but he matter-of-factly mentioned a monorail / mag-lev train that runs underground from Naval Base San Diego to Edwards Air Force Base to Area 51 as an 'oh, it exists' thing.

Although the people saying there is a mag-lev train from Area 51 to the Pentagon? Conspiracy theorists.

It's a bit hard to ask your dad where he got such a crazy idea, but I think once I actually got him to think about it he realized it was a bit out there.

Sigh. Guess this is what I have to look forward to when he gets older.

Yeah, sadly I've seen that happen to my dad who's now dead and had a drinking problem. Not the same circumstances I'm sure but he became increasingly paranoid in his later life and bought into more and more conspiracy stuff as he got older.

I've given my wife orders that if I have some form of familial degenerative brain disorder and I start thinking the government is poisoning me with fluoride or something equally as stupid she's to end me because I'm no longer of use to the human race.

• Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    You should record a message to your future-self in case you ever get that bad, so your future-self can twist itself into knots trying to explain how "They" got to your past-self.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    I'll hide "Help they got to me" in between frames. It should make it entertaining for those around me.

• Options
    Entaru wrote: »
    I'll hide "Help they got to me" in between frames. It should make it entertaining for those around me.

Get your ass to Mount Shasta

Get your ass to Mount Shasta

Get your ass to-

• Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    You should record a message to your future-self in case you ever get that bad, so your future-self can twist itself into knots trying to explain how "They" got to your past-self.

We call this the "Total Recall".

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    Be sure to leave pauses in the message because your future self will probably have some questions.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    so how about this for a conspiracy theory, Bill Hicks is still alive!

crazy huh? well it's about to get even crazier! not only is Hicks still alive, but he's been brainwashed by the CIA and under their control works today as one Alex Jones.

EDIT: bonus conspiracy at the 20 minute mark.

Wraith260 on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    I'm resurrecting this thread because Reddit is shitting itself over the most inane conspiracy theory ever.
    The latest set of conspiracy theories is rippling across Reddit, creating a minor schism between the site and its farthest right fans. In essence, the story holds that feminists have consolidated control of "moderator" positions across the site, and are censoring discussions to fit their worldview. If you're a Reddit zealot, this is as frightening as your life can get.

It's just...it's gone beyond mockery.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    HuuHuu Registered User regular
    I'm resurrecting this thread because Reddit is shitting itself over the most inane conspiracy theory ever.
    The latest set of conspiracy theories is rippling across Reddit, creating a minor schism between the site and its farthest right fans. In essence, the story holds that feminists have consolidated control of "moderator" positions across the site, and are censoring discussions to fit their worldview. If you're a Reddit zealot, this is as frightening as your life can get.

This is pretty standard rhetoric form the right though and have been for some time: "Liberals/feminists/pro-choicers/pro-gayers/etc is stifling discussion and are censoring us, we are being persecuted for our sincerely held beliefs, blah blah blah I dont understand the first amendment". Tinwhiskers posted someone's blogpost or article with that exact argument in the academic freedom thread. It is all over the rightwing media bubble.

• Options
    It's my favorite thread of all threads! I'm not saying they are all feminists, but....

[picture]it's aliens guy[\picture]

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I think this is the one conspiracy I want to be true.

• Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular

Now, I don't doubt that reddit contains jackasses, but I can't take Gawker seriously either.

• Options
    Feminist Manchurian Overthrow of Reddit Secretly Gawker False-Flag Operation

I love it. Throw in some chemtrails and Truthers and we've got a BINGO!

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

I knew this shit would be on /r/conspiracy, but I assumed it would have originated on /r/theredpill. Protip: do not go to /r/theredpill if you value your sanity.

But my wife found a fun thread about this on /r/conspiratard. So I'm glad there's some sanity on reddit, I suppose.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    So, on a different note, can somebody explain some of the common symbolisms we do see in fashion and amongst pop culture that conspiracy websites like to focus on? Like the covering of one eye for asymmetry, use of pentagrams and baphomet in fashion shows, illuminated eyes in all sorts of random stuff. I'm not saying I believe any of the actual conspiracies, but there is a noticeable trend of certain types of symbols being in pop culture.

I know sights like Vigilant Citizen love to bring them up and have scores of images throughout the years of the above images being in the pop culture, and I was wondering if anyone had an actual explanation for it, cause it is odd that some of this iconography is so prevalent.

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    never die wrote: »
    So, on a different note, can somebody explain some of the common symbolisms we do see in fashion and amongst pop culture that conspiracy websites like to focus on? Like the covering of one eye for asymmetry, use of pentagrams and baphomet in fashion shows, illuminated eyes in all sorts of random stuff. I'm not saying I believe any of the actual conspiracies, but there is a noticeable trend of certain types of symbols being in pop culture.

I know sights like Vigilant Citizen love to bring them up and have scores of images throughout the years of the above images being in the pop culture, and I was wondering if anyone had an actual explanation for it, cause it is odd that some of this iconography is so prevalent.

Taboo enough to have a sense of edginess and a message of 'non-conformity', while not going over the line into outright offensiveness, probably. A form of hip, but carefully brand-friendly, counterculturalism.

• Options
    HuuHuu Registered User regular

I have never heard of this before, but I have a feeling that it is more nutcases looking through massive amounts of pictures until they find enough to claim something is going on.

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    It's part of the culture. In the US you see flags everywhere. People from outside the US think that shit is weird as hell. I mean, not the flags themselves, but how prevalent they are. In Canada I can go a month without seeing a flag unless I go out of my way to (visit a government building). Whenever I cross the border it's jarring.

(That's not a judgment either way. If you want to see flags, that's just fine.)

There's an all-seeing eye on the dollar bill in the US. There are crosses all over the place. You may as well go along with the people who saw god in the wreckage of the WTC buildings because there were crossed steel beams poking out of the rubble (ignoring that it's their natural state for them to be crossed like that).

People see what they want to. Some people watch digital television and claim signal blips are evidence of reptilian cloaking devices fluctuating--that every time there's a momentary flicker in the video signal on a broadcast they've found another alien overlord. You can take isolated pictures of a celebrity with their hands in a certain position and claim they're signalling the other members of their secret cabal, or you can realize that if you're taking hundreds of pictures of someone then eventually you're going to end up with one that looks weird.

Human beings are biologically predisposed to look for patterns in everything. It's our nature. Usually it works out, because it's our nature for good reason. Sometimes it doesn't, and there are entire branches of study devoted to getting around that problem. Personal bubbles, etc.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Huu wrote: »

I have never heard of this before, but I have a feeling that it is more nutcases looking through massive amounts of pictures until they find enough to claim something is going on.

There are loads of videos on the internet about this. Conspiracy theorists acting like detectives spotting any vaguely mystical or culturally known images with conspiracies then acting like their geniuses who found proof said artist or movie is being controlled by lizard people/New World Order/Illuminati. Music videos are featured targets for this, that's why the comments section too popular artists, like Katy Perry, will devolve into conspiracy bullshit.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Page- wrote: »
    There's an all-seeing eye on the dollar bill in the US.
    200px-Dollarnote_siegel_hq.jpg

The Eye of (Divine) Providence represents God watching over mankind, in this case America. Annuit Coeptis means "God favors our undertaking", and Novus Ordo Seclorum means "New Order of the Ages", referring to a new "Era of America". Which was rather optimistic at the time, considering the thing was designed during the Revolutionary War.

Or at least that's what The Man wants you to think.

Captain Marcus on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    The Illuminati know how to brand. Why hold that against them?

This discussion has been closed.