Options

Always Be [Chat]ting

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Watching Agents of Shield S1.

More disturbing then how bland and crappy-to-mediocre this show has been so far is how many people in our D&D thread on the show were trying to defend it at the time. Just shameful.

I'm trusting you people that this gets better.

I'm pretty firm on 8-9 of the first 10-11 episodes are almost intolerably bad, but it gets way better. I'm not sure I'm glad I stuck it out rather than skipping to S1E11 or so, but I'm definitely glad I watched it overall.

Apparently I need to buy Hulu Plus to start watching S2, and that's just been too much effort so far.

sig.gif
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    simonwolf wrote: »
    I logged into Facebook just now to find that Feral had posted a tweet from a dude I used to hang out with ten years ago. what a trip.

the jazz bar tpnight was pretty good. I am terrible at ordering drinks on the spot, though. I just stammered out "uh, r..rum and coke?" and felt shame burn my face

It's called a Cuba Libre you uncultured swine

doesn't that have some other shit in it

No, but the man down under here is also uncultured swine.

It's una mentirita, because Cuba Libre was a lie.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    jacob, if you can't think of a drink to order, order an old fashioned

if you get an old fashioned and it is no good, leave and go to a better bar

if you do not like old fashioneds, well

i'm sure they have wine coolers

• Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    Wash wrote: »
    Oh wow Whoopi Goldberg decided to try an undercut

No, honey nooo

pics nowwwww

2356C11400000578-2842398-image-62_1416506272897.jpg

I cant actually find a gif to express myself.

I kinda feel bad about why I like that photo. It's great. But the context is her crying over the death of Mike Nichols, the man who helped jump start her career.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options

I think you might need a more cackling avatar.

sig.gif
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

More disturbing then how bland and crappy-to-mediocre this show has been so far is how many people in our D&D thread on the show were trying to defend it at the time. Just shameful.

I'm pretty firm on 8-9 of the first 10-11 episodes are almost intolerably bad, but it gets way better. I'm not sure I'm glad I stuck it out rather than skipping to S1E11 or so, but I'm definitely glad I watched it overall.

Apparently I need to buy Hulu Plus to start watching S2, and that's just been too much effort so far.

S1E11 is when it starts turning around?

Well, only 1 more episode of crap to go!

• Options
    edited February 2015

2133671-zdd1.jpg

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options

S1E11 is when it starts turning around?

Well, only 1 more episode of crap to go!

yes you are rapidly approaching the point of monotonically increasing quality

sig.gif
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    See..

I like Sazeracs.
    You learn right away if a bar is worth drinking at if they can make you a good one.

Make me a Sazerac, and then we can talk about the next 4 drinks I will be having.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options

2133671-zdd1.jpg

the only actual picture of you i've ever seen would do nicely

sig.gif
  • Options
    'worth drinking at' is a concept i have yet to really flesh out

sig.gif
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

I literally thought to order an old fashioned as the guy was back at the bar

l'esprit de french staircase

• Options

you need like a mantra of drink order preparation

at all the fancy places we drink when work's paying, they have their own named cocktails on the menu, it removes this problem that you have from the equation

in fact it's fairly legit to just say "just make me one of your featured whiskey cocktails? Thanks."

sig.gif
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    jesus my nephew worked a 15 hour day, he just got home

he makes minimum wage and I'm pretty sure his boss is stiffing him on pay and is at the very least overworking him

erg

• Options
    edited February 2015

2133671-zdd1.jpg

i can't think of which one that would be

canadians cannot reveal their mouths for fear of immediate frostbite
    scarf.jpg

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    The first 9 episodes are better on the second viewing, after you've finished season 1 and know how the pieces fit together. It also helps that if you've watched the whole season through you probably like the characters, and those 9 episodes don't do a great job of winning you over. It takes a while.

Though I maintain that episode 6 "Fzzt" is a good ep. It is the desert oasis of the first half.

I love how she delivers those lines to Coulson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GneEzj10GnQ

and Fitz really knows how to scream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQp4WCEHYiw

Not everyone feels the same as I do on this, but to me the Whedons have diverted from the playbook enough times that the part of my brain that goes "well of course they're not going to do _______" doesn't pipe up off as often. Sometimes they do do _______. It is nice to just be immersed in what's happening and run with a conceit I wouldn't let slide coming from a different creative team.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited February 2015

at all the fancy places we drink when work's paying, they have their own named cocktails on the menu, it removes this problem that you have from the equation

in fact it's fairly legit to just say "just make me one of your featured whiskey cocktails? Thanks."

At my favorite places to hang this would get you a glass of whiskey

Actually in that tone it would probably get you a room temperature budlight

Like they would go out of their way to go next door to the offsale joint, purchase a 6 pack specifically off of the shelf rather than from the cooler and bring it back just to hand you a room temperature budlight.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    @Abdhyius @DemonStacey I went to the first concert of that green-haired singer y'all liked

she was really really good and not that many people were there so I fanboyed (fuckboyed?) out real hard and apparently we have some mutual friends and I'm in love

sFxjUADl.jpg

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    but nobody but _J_ has ever in the history of the world claimed that pink is not a colour

Unique

• Options
    The first 9 episodes are better on the second viewing, after you've finished season 1 and know how the pieces fit together. It also helps that if you've watched the whole season through you probably like the characters, and those 9 episodes don't do a great job of winning you over. It takes a while.

Though I maintain that episode 6 "Fzzt" is a good ep. It is the desert oasis of the first half.

I love how she delivers those lines to Coulson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GneEzj10GnQ

and Fitz really knows how to scream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQp4WCEHYiw

Not everyone feels the same as I do on this, but to me the Whedons have diverted from the playbook enough times that the part of my brain that goes "well of course they're not going to do _______" doesn't pipe up off as often. Sometimes they do do _______. It is nice to just be immersed in what's happening and run with a conceit I wouldn't let slide coming from a different creative team.

going back it's just as difficult to watch for me

i think the dialogue's just bad

the characters are just caricatures, especially fitzsimmons

there are a couple good eps, but generally even they have a few cringeworthy lines

i really think the dialogue and the characters get a lot better, separate from and simultaneous to the continuity arc beginning

sig.gif
  • Options

Like they would go out of their way to go next door to the offsale joint, purchase a 6 pack specifically off of the shelf rather than from the cooler and bring it back just to hand you a room temperature budlight.

r u hipstering me here or hwhat

sig.gif
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Urrgh I had an unpleasant experience just now and it's my own fault.

I heard my door open, and when I stepped out of my room to investigate there was a guy in the landing, though it was dark so I couldn't see him clearly. Before I could say anything he called out "hello!" and left. The light was on in the living room, and I'm sure he did that.

On closer inspection I forgot to lock my door after coming home from the gym last night.

I had a look and I don't think he took anything, but now I'm twisted up with thoughts like what if he's staking out the place and will come back regardless of how locked my door is and urrrrrgh.

Me dumb. :(

• Options

2133671-zdd1.jpg

i can't think of which one that would be

canadians cannot reveal their mouths for fear of immediate frostbite
    scarf.jpg

no it was one where you had booze and looked more diabolical

sig.gif
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0q1gCsZykg

how i feel after quitting my job today

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    What about:
    • Principled
    • Scrupulous
    • Unprincipled
    • Anarchist
    • Aberrant
    • Miscreant
    • Diabolic

apotheos is that the Kevin siembieda alignment system from the robotech RPGs?

It's the palladium alignment system

@Chanus

• Options
    wuAYDVy.jpg

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Yeah, I'm sorry Wash but no amount of later episodes can forgive how blandly and badly executed this show has been so far.

It feels like someone trying to emulate a Whedon show and failing through lack of good writing (especially dialogue). Combined with the occasional Gotham-esque bit of "We are totally part of the MCU guys!!!"

The plots are dull and formulaic and been-there-done-that, the characters still barely sketched out and not terribly interesting and there's little interesting being built in the background.

You know what, I think the best description of this would actually be a blander and more boring version of Fringe S1. That's really what this feels like. Less interesting mysteries, less interesting characters, less interesting slowly building mythology. Fringe at least had the desire to gross you out and kill a few people gruesomely in the process. AOS just seems to want to be the blandest procedural ever connected to a comic-book franchise ever produced.

It has showed the occasional moment of promise though. Parts of Eye-Spy, FZZT, and The Girl in the Flower Dress could probably see quality television on the horizon. But then the show bobbed right back down into the abyss.

shryke on
  • Options
    wuAYDVy.jpg

beauty

steam_sig.png
  • Options

that's the first time I've seen footage of the people who fell out of the towers

jesus DUE what kind of working conditions were you dealing with

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Rayman Legends is the XB1 gold game for next month. That should be fun.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm sorry Wash but no amount of later episodes can forgive how blandly and badly executed this show has been so far.

It feels like someone trying to emulate a Whedon show and failing through lack of good writing (especially dialogue). Combined with the occasional Gotham-esque bit of "We are totally part of the MCU guys!!!"

The plots are dull and formulaic and been-there-done-that, the characters still barely sketched out and not terribly interesting and there's little interesting being built in the background.

You know what, I think the best description of this would actually be a blander and more boring version of Fringe S1. That's really what this feels like. Less interesting mysteries, less interesting characters, less interesting slowly building mythology. Fringe at least had the desire to gross you out and kill a few people gruesomely in the process. AOS just seems to want to be the blandest procedural ever connected to a comic-book franchise ever produced.

some of this looks different by the end of the season

sig.gif
  • Options

It sounds like you should probably stop watching it then?

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    People said it gets better and I'm always willing to give a show a chance to get it's shit together.

some of this looks different by the end of the season

How could it?

You can't retroactively unshit your dialogue and plotting.

shryke on
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    DUE

bro

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    edited February 2015

that's the first time I've seen footage of the people who fell out of the towers

jesus DUE what kind of working conditions were you dealing with

heh

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular

yeah it was pretty much completely shit for like 10 episodes; my method was binge-watching it on my iPad while playing civ5 on my computer, that way I was enjoying myself with something I could easily divert attention away from at relevant moments

it worked, and eventually I stopped playing while I watched altogether

a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

r u hipstering me here or hwhat

Naw I just prefer dive-ish bars to hang with friends at

Mostly because they tend to be quiet enough that you can talk but at the same time don't particularily care if you're loud

But they also tend to be places where the bartender's reaction to someone asking for a "featured whiskey cocktail" is going to run the gamut depending on who is behind the bar that night :P

• Options
    it's a beautiful song though

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

It has showed the occasional moment of promise though. Parts of Eye-Spy, FZZT, and The Girl in the Flower Dress could probably see quality television on the horizon. But then the show bobbed right back down into the abyss.

Skip to episode 16.

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    watched the wolf of wall street. kinda drank way too much, in the spirit of the movie.

there's a legit blizzard going on outside and I have to get my car in for an oil change and go to the last round of my current not-chemo treatment tomorrow. I must resist the urge to abdicate both of these responsibilities

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
This discussion has been closed.