Options

[chat]BASIC

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    syndalis wrote: »
    Sauron would easily beat the crop of GOP candidates in the primary

although they might get some traction by pointing out he's a foreigner

I would be afraid to ask for his birth certificate. Reading it would probably fracture your mind.

That was the problem when Cthulu ran in 2008, every Republican who saw one of his campaign ads went utterly mad

override367 on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    I guess we could do this in the Snowden thread

ill do u in the snowden thred

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Getting mired in discussions of one man's character or the legal definitions of whistle blowing and civil disobedience is 100% missing the issue and failing to have the much more important conversation about the supra-legal and self-interested intelligence apparatus fyi hth

None of our discussions are important.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Getting mired in discussions of one man's character or the legal definitions of whistle blowing and civil disobedience is 100% missing the issue and failing to have the much more important conversation about the supra-legal and self-interested intelligence apparatus fyi hth

Right. I am of a mind that Snowden is a shithead who broke the law.

I am also of a mind that what the intelligence community is doing is straight up disgusting.

y3zuke5rqc83.gif

Also, Scimitars.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Scimitar!

Scimitar!

*twirls*

This nerd doesn't even know the names of the scimitars.

It should read.

Icingdeath!

Twinkle!

*twirls*

You are the fakest of nerdsharks.

cptrugged on
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    I guess we could do this in the Snowden thread

ill do u in the snowden thred

my body is ready

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure Sauron has a birthcertificate.

He may have a birth song though.

Damn fallen angels.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    I remember murdering Drizzt in BG2, but never having read the books I had no idea what the deal was

it did take like 9 reloads to successfully off that jackass

• Options
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Scimitar!

Scimitar!

*twirls*

This nerd doesn't even know the names of the scimitars.

It should read.

Icingdeath!

Twinkle!

*twirls*

You are the fakest of nerdsharks.

ah yes twinkle

truly a fearsome name for such a deadly weapon

• Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    Zampanov wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    I kind of want to go in the Snowden thread, but that is one of the rare topics where I don't even understand the position the other side takes, so I should probably steer clear. I literally do not think you can think he is a whistleblower unless you don't understand what a whistleblower is.

uh huh

I usually see both sides. That is distinct from when I say I don't understand something because I actuelly lack knowledge of it.

Snowden just isn't a whistleblower, by definition. It's a legal concept. He does not satisfy it under any applicable test.

Could the reason for that be mostly semantics to do with the fact that he's tattling on the structure that sets that very definition?

Not rhetorical

He was not. NSA is distinct from the DOJ. DOL protects whistleblowers. So the correct action as a whisteblower is to go up the chain of command. If you are not heard all the way up, then you go to DOJ. Of course, he stole the data in the first place and whistleblower rules would not protect him from that because it was theft and that was illegal, but that he feared prosecution for a felony he committed doesn't somehow make him a whistleblower.

I have probably a decent grasp on the NSA and DOJ being different entities, but they're largely part of the same machine. It seems to me there's a fairly unified front at the federal level in favor of the ridiculous amount of fucked up surveillance that's been happening for the last 10 years. Not that a vast conspiracy or centralized corruption is at work or anything, but that it makes a lot of people's jobs easier and the people who might otherwise A: think that it is a massive overstep not worth the dubiously purported safety, and/or B: Could at least reasonably agree it's not a necessity, are motivated by a fucked up political climate that dissuades people from taking a step back from the war on terror.

Basically, while you are most assuredly right in that he's not technically a whistleblower, I don't have a lot of faith that a bona fide whistleblower could get an inch of traction in this climate. I would not be surprised to find that someone making that move would as likely land quietly in a supermax as on the front page of The Guardian.

1 - Hypothetical self-interest is not sufficient justification for violation of the law. That's a fundamental concept in Civil Disobedience.

2 - Whistleblowing covers revelation of violations of law. The vast majority of what Snowden revealed was not a violation of the law, just what he thought was the correct policy. Even the subset of activities he identified that were in violation of the law were so vague as to make actions to bring wrongdoers to justice or rectify policies impossible. "Some" people were listening to things without authority. "Some" justifications were fabricated.

Whistleblowing doesn't cover revelation of classified activities you think are bad, just ones that are illegal.

1 - Realistic danger to your person is perfectly fine justification for violation of the law

2 - The reason a lot of the shit the NSA gets up to is legal is because we made into law an act we didn't fuckin read, and they ran with it as fast as they could before anyone could call a goddamn do-over.

Just because something is legal doesn't make it morally justified in the same way that something being illegal doesn't make it morally wrong.

That being said, I'm not saying Snowden has made all correct and excellent decisions, but he's doing a whole lot better than the NSA and Congress are doing with this now multiple-decade-effecting Orwellian shit show.

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Right. I am of a mind that Snowden is a shithead who broke the law.

I am also of a mind that what the intelligence community is doing is straight up disgusting.

y3zuke5rqc83.gif

Also, Scimitars.

Is?

The intelligence apparatus has always and will probably always be disgusting

override367 on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    So, I am to understand that rather than eat both kinds of tacos, the fact which they are ostensibly celebrating, they took the small girl outside, gathered the rest of the townsfolk and then had a "hoist the small child over our heads celebration"?

I don't buy it. If they were so excited about the tacos they would have done that rather than head outside. Yet, if they weren't that excited hey have no reason for the celebration.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Ugh this morning has been nuts.

Just had a break. Went and grabbed some hummus and pretzels.

I feel a bit better.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Whole lotta Lawful Neutrals all up in this thread.

Almost no one has a problem with government surveillance that follows the rule of law and due process. The justification for complaining about Snowden's revelations is that the government was improperly searching people's information outside the law. In order to forward his argument that the policies were outside the law (which is frankly not well supported, as FISA courts and metadata requests went to the SCOTUS 40 years ago and have been repeatedly upheld) he unquestionably broke the law and his oath.

The policies and goals a government should enact are a matter of opinion. Whether or not it should act lawfully is not. That's why whistleblowing is a thing

The_Joint_Staff_Org_Chart.jpg

So he went over the head of the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and of the President of the United States, directly to the American People.

Unorthodox, but I'll allow it.

This is not particularly coherent considering the NSA is not included in that organizational chart. The NSA is not part of the DoD proper.

Its also the equivalent of telling a cop "I pay your salary!"

Director of National Intelligence is on the chart.

And it's more akin to telling the cop "I'm going to tell people about this and they will be more able to make an informed choice in the next election".

No the Director for Intelligence, J2 is not the Director of National Intelligence.

Saying the American people are above the President, and therefore have the right to know any and all classified information is being willfully naive. You're only saying it because you agree with Snowden's sentiment. If he had revealed the names of every rape victim ever protected by a shield law, you likely would argue differently.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    No, that is almost the rote definition of civil disobedience.

People do sit ins at the capital, and when the cops come with the handcuffs they allow themselves to be arrested, preferably on camera, just because they were protesting the wages of teachers being cut / unions being dissolved.

Civil disobedience as a form of protest against injustice isn't breaking the law and then fleeing from the cops.
    Again, Lawful Neutrals.

Getting arrested doesn't change the legitimacy of the complaint. It only affects how you get to be perceived as a martyr, dependent upon the the media being compliant with your point.

The problem of the NSA harvesting huge amounts of data with no public oversight is not made any more or less legitimate by whether Snowden spends the rest of his life in a cell without a door.
    Tav wrote: »
    I kind of want to go in the Snowden thread, but that is one of the rare topics where I don't even understand the position the other side takes, so I should probably steer clear. I literally do not think you can think he is a whistleblower unless you don't understand what a whistleblower is.

uh huh

I usually see both sides. That is distinct from when I say I don't understand something because I actuelly lack knowledge of it.

Snowden just isn't a whistleblower, by definition. It's a legal concept. He does not satisfy it under any applicable test.

Could the reason for that be mostly semantics to do with the fact that he's tattling on the structure that sets that very definition?

Not rhetorical

He was not. NSA is distinct from the DOJ. DOL protects whistleblowers. So the correct action as a whisteblower is to go up the chain of command. If you are not heard all the way up, then you go to DOJ. Of course, he stole the data in the first place and whistleblower rules would not protect him from that because it was theft and that was illegal, but that he feared prosecution for a felony he committed doesn't somehow make him a whistleblower.

I have probably a decent grasp on the NSA and DOJ being different entities, but they're largely part of the same machine. It seems to me there's a fairly unified front at the federal level in favor of the ridiculous amount of fucked up surveillance that's been happening for the last 10 years. Not that a vast conspiracy or centralized corruption is at work or anything, but that it makes a lot of people's jobs easier and the people who might otherwise A: think that it is a massive overstep not worth the dubiously purported safety, and/or B: Could at least reasonably agree it's not a necessity, are motivated by a fucked up political climate that dissuades people from taking a step back from the war on terror.

Basically, while you are most assuredly right in that he's not technically a whistleblower, I don't have a lot of faith that a bona fide whistleblower could get an inch of traction in this climate. I would not be surprised to find that someone making that move would as likely land quietly in a supermax as on the front page of The Guardian.

1 - Hypothetical self-interest is not sufficient justification for violation of the law. That's a fundamental concept in Civil Disobedience.

2 - Whistleblowing covers revelation of violations of law. The vast majority of what Snowden revealed was not a violation of the law, just what he thought was the correct policy. Even the subset of activities he identified that were in violation of the law were so vague as to make actions to bring wrongdoers to justice or rectify policies impossible. "Some" people were listening to things without authority. "Some" justifications were fabricated.

Whistleblowing doesn't cover revelation of classified activities you think are bad, just ones that are illegal.

1 - Realistic danger to your person is perfectly fine justification for violation of the law

2 - The reason a lot of the shit the NSA gets up to is legal is because we made into law an act we didn't fuckin read, and they ran with it as fast as they could before anyone could call a goddamn do-over.

Just because something is legal doesn't make it morally justified in the same way that something being illegal doesn't make it morally wrong.

That being said, I'm not saying Snowden has made all correct and excellent decisions, but he's doing a whole lot better than the NSA and Congress are doing with this now multiple-decade-effecting Orwellian shit show.

But do you agree that he is not a whistleblower, or?

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    No, that is almost the rote definition of civil disobedience.

People do sit ins at the capital, and when the cops come with the handcuffs they allow themselves to be arrested, preferably on camera, just because they were protesting the wages of teachers being cut / unions being dissolved.

Civil disobedience as a form of protest against injustice isn't breaking the law and then fleeing from the cops.
    Again, Lawful Neutrals.

Getting arrested doesn't change the legitimacy of the complaint. It only affects how you get to be perceived as a martyr, dependent upon the the media being compliant with your point.

The problem of the NSA harvesting huge amounts of data with no public oversight is not made any more or less legitimate by whether Snowden spends the rest of his life in a cell without a door.

The whole point of civil disobedience is to intentionally and openly break the law so that the unjustness of the law is revealed when you are punished for it. You are literally not engaged in civil disobedience if you run around committing crimes and escaping the police. You are just a criminal. Possibly a terrorist, depending on the crimes.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I love that the panther's name is pronounced Guinevere, but spelled Guenhwyvar.

I also love that Wulfgar was supposed to be the star of the series and the first book focused really heavy on him, but the fandom LOVED the CG drow supporting character so much that RAS pivoted.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

The_Joint_Staff_Org_Chart.jpg

So he went over the head of the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and of the President of the United States, directly to the American People.

Unorthodox, but I'll allow it.

This is not particularly coherent considering the NSA is not included in that organizational chart. The NSA is not part of the DoD proper.

Its also the equivalent of telling a cop "I pay your salary!"

Director of National Intelligence is on the chart.

And it's more akin to telling the cop "I'm going to tell people about this and they will be more able to make an informed choice in the next election".

No, he's not. That's the Director of Intelligence. He has several organizations that report to him the most notable would be the DIA. But that position only covers the various military intelligence organizations. The DNI is a civilian position that represents the rest of the Intelligence community to the NSC.

• Options
    I remember murdering Drizzt in BG2, but never having read the books I had no idea what the deal was

what

how

i murdered him in BG1 but he was nigh invincible in BG2

made every saving throw known to man

insta-gibbed anyone in one round

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular

I also love that Wulfgar was supposed to be the star of the series and the first book focused really heavy on him, but the fandom LOVED the CG drow supporting character so much that RAS pivoted.

Wulfgar was boring tho

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    god u guys are dumb

ffs casual eddy already told u snowden is husbando material waht the fuk more do u want

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    it's political activism, not whistleblowing

as someone whose interest in this discussion is pretty much solely using accurate terms since I don't have a horse in this race

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Cinders wrote: »

Wulfgar was boring tho

should've stayed dead

• Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular

I'm cool with civil disobedience. But part of that is accepting punishment so that people see how unfair it is that the law demanded you be punished for your actions. If you flee justice you don't get to pull the civil disobedience card.

Doing this in the way you describe, do you think we'd have heard of him at all? And if we did, would he have access to the evidence to back up his claims?

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Guys, have you considered talking about Snowden in the Snowden thread?

• Options
    Cinders wrote: »

Wulfgar was boring tho

should've stayed dead

I do give RAS some props for just how damaged Wulfgar was when he came back.

This was not a comic book "nobody stays dead everyone is fine" moment here. Last book I read (which is admittedly still many years ago) Wulfgar was still PTSD as fuck.

One of the more uncomfortable moments in fluff fantasy I ever read was when Cattie Brie and Wulfgar tried getting back together, and a moment of physical intimacy went REALLY wrong.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    I'm not going to work tomorrow because the forecast is SNOWDEN DAY!

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular

I had never read the books. But knew the hype so I read the Homeland trilogy first. It was really really good. I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would.

But holy cow, going from that to The Crystal Shard was so jarring that I couldn't get all the way through it. Not only because of the sudden change in Drizzt's character, but the fact that the book was so obviously one of Salvatore's early works and it showed.

• Options
    edited March 2015

what

how

dude idk It was a long time ago, I don't even remember what class I was

I did kill that fucker tho, you can't keep the gear you get unfortunately :(

override367 on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I am not a fan of the NSA or their actions.

But the issue here isn't just them. They are running full on with in the scope of laws and precedent outlined in the post 9/11 world thanks to Congress and Bush the Lesser which has continued through Obama.

Snowden was an idiot. What he released wasn't effective on the policy debate. Hell the overstep debate was already going. Look at the CIA hacking the Senate. Which is well outside the law.

The real issue here is the population is meh on it. They feel the loss of privacy is worth the possible protection it provides. A lot of the ideas of big data and analytics have come out of the last 15 years are partially because of giant data collection such as this. Congress is the ones who should be stepping in and setting new policies and restructuring the system to catch up with the reality. Which requires a popular outcry or lots of corporate anger your pick.

Neither is happening with stuff like Snowden.

I might dislike the intelligence industry even though I tangentially work in it. Doesn't mean I believe Snowden and his actions should be lionized.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Hunger

poo
  • Options
    my feelings about snowden can be summed up as "Hah hah your guy stole all your secrets" and I think he's dumb and the american intelligence community dumber

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I would name my scimitars "Sharpy" and "Sharpy 2"

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Almost no one has a problem with government surveillance that follows the rule of law and due process. The justification for complaining about Snowden's revelations is that the government was improperly searching people's information outside the law. In order to forward his argument that the policies were outside the law (which is frankly not well supported, as FISA courts and metadata requests went to the SCOTUS 40 years ago and have been repeatedly upheld) he unquestionably broke the law and his oath.

The policies and goals a government should enact are a matter of opinion. Whether or not it should act lawfully is not. That's why whistleblowing is a thing
    No, this is what you do not get.

The justification for complaining about Snowden's revelations is that they were improperly searching people's information inside the law, because they are an arm of the governmental construct that makes it.

And whistleblowing having legal protections is a recursive argument to begin with:

"Why do we need to create this whistleblowing status?"
    "Because often the individuals blowing whistles have far less power than those they are blowing whistles against. They face serious, often legal, repercussions for acting ethically."
    "That seems fair. What circumstances do we want to protect whistleblowers in?"
    "Well, when they speak out against corporations performing something illegal."
    "What if they speak out against us performing something unethical, legally."
    "I don't know about that; let's not include that in our legal definition of whistleblower."
    "Yeah, that way anyone speaking out against us doing something unethical, legally, does not have protection from a far greater power than themselves, which is to our benefit."

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

I'm cool with civil disobedience. But part of that is accepting punishment so that people see how unfair it is that the law demanded you be punished for your actions. If you flee justice you don't get to pull the civil disobedience card.

Doing this in the way you describe, do you think we'd have heard of him at all? And if we did, would he have access to the evidence to back up his claims?

Well, what he could have done if he wanted to just engage in straight up civil disobedience is steal the data, release it, and then submit to arrest. Much more principled than literally fleeing the US government's ability to extradite him.

• Options
    Atomika wrote: »

JoySucker and ManSlammer

• Options

what

how

dude idk It was a long time ago, I don't even remember what class I was

I did kill that fucker tho, you can't keep the gear you get unfortunately :(

override I played that game 15 years ago and I can tell you my party makeup and that after 20 attempts the best I ever managed was to kill the little Halfling shit (regis?)

my condolences on the early onset Alzheimer's

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

JoySucker and ManSlammer

Hurty and Harmy.

• Options

sharpy 2: the sharpening: this time it's sharper: get sharped bitch!

• Options

Tay and Sway.

This discussion has been closed.