As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Can't stop the [PHOTO]

• Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular

Love this one. Wish it was slightly wider, but then again I am a man of peculiar taste.

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I don't know what happened with Enshroud, though -- overexposure, missed focus? Portra has a certain feel to it that's coming through nicely in a lot of your shots.

oh, enshroud was the first shot off the roll. i think the exposure metered for the white-washed cloudy sky, and in addition the fully exposed sliver at the top probably threw the scan off too. but i liked the effect.

also @Baron Dirigible trees is outstanding and @Prospicience so is fall reminder. beautiful. you guys are making me really cranky that i didn't have a camera on me today on the road to canberra...

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    muninn wrote: »

Love this one. Wish it was slightly wider, but then again I am a man of peculiar taste.

Thanks guys, and thanks for the recommendation, not sure why I didn't have it wider to begin with! This better?
    IMG_6068_zpsffozqs63.jpg

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    So I think I need to erase a lot of what I said earlier and I actually do need something more wide angle for full body work.

I'm thinking about this:

Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Wide Angle Lens for Canon SLR Cameras

Which should operate at ~55-56mm? The 50mm prime lens I have is excellent, but if I want to take a full body photo I need to stand on the other side of the room. :P

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    You might want to rent a few lenses. You seem to have wildly varying ideas on what you need.

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options

This better?

Only you can tell. I certainly like it better, but thats just me.
    You have a style of your own and a really good eye, so suggestions are just that. Make a change, take a look and see if you personally like it better and if it comes closer to your own vision, or tell muninn to eff off because the picture you took looks that way for a reason. :)
    You might want to rent a few lenses. You seem to have wildly varying ideas on what you need.

I second this. I used to think that wide angle lenses were the bees knees until I got one.
    Also sometimes some non optical specs of a given lens (weight, focusing, manual controls, size etc) can be quite incompatible with the way you shoot, and renting one would make sure that the lens would be something you would use on a regular basis.

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    So I think I need to erase a lot of what I said earlier and I actually do need something more wide angle for full body work.

I'm thinking about this:

Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Wide Angle Lens for Canon SLR Cameras

Which should operate at ~55-56mm? The 50mm prime lens I have is excellent, but if I want to take a full body photo I need to stand on the other side of the room. :P

Depends on what you need. If you need one versatile lens for all kinds of situations, you can't go wrong with the 24-105 f/4L, but if you know most of what you'll shoot is 35mm, get that. And yes, on a crop sensor 35 is more like 55.

• Options
    Started shooting again. Feels good. Getting some ideas for a new project. Behold the first roll I have shot in months:

16789994082_8e2ab4c865_c.jpg_DSC8143 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

• Options
    11, 15, 28 strike me as especially nice but there are quite a few there i'd be looking at!

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Baron DirigibleBaron Dirigible Registered User regular
    Thanks, @bsjezz! I ended up waiting around to get a second shot with better light, and then this first shot came out much better anyway.

@muninn, that looks fantastic. 11, 21 and 25 are my current picks. How are you making your contact sheets?

From the archives:
    16795994232_85341c1911_c.jpg
    Private Parking by rstop bstop, on Flickr

• Options
    I just put the filed strips on a light table and take a photo with my digital camera. I am toying with the idea of making a contact sheet printing frame but I don't have enough time for this stuff right now.

Here is something that still needs a bit of work:

16228130284_2320d4aa62_c.jpg_DSC8105 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

• Options
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Dang, can't get that link to work, keeps timing out for me.

@munin thanks man, I actually do like the wider better so thank you for the suggestion :) Also really love that newest one, great comp and contrast. Your black and whites are the realness.

16273721344_5279730e7e_z.jpgRoger and Tico by Prospicience 101, on Flickr

16709942439_1ca0313156_z.jpgPark Here by Prospicience 101, on Flickr

16708466418_28c92c9bf5_z.jpgOpen Up by Prospicience 101, on Flickr

My mom used to have this series of photos in the entry way of our house growing up called "Doors of Rhode Island" (where I was born). Been walking around my neighborhood more and that old photo inspired me to start a new "Denver Doors" series; Denver's got quite the variety of doors y'all.

16709941889_8dd319a92a_z.jpgDenver Door - 01 by Prospicience 101, on Flickr

16708465008_940342d668_z.jpgDenver Door - 02 by Prospicience 101, on Flickr

Prospicience on
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Dang, can't get that link to work, keeps timing out for me.

http://andyhutchinson.com.au/the-real-meaning-of-common-photographic-expressions/
    We photographers do love our catch-phrases, but what do they all mean? Here’s my not-so-serious and very tongue-in-cheek run down of some of the more commonly used terms and their meanings. And yes, I’m as guilty as the next guy:

Fine Art Photography – long exposure shots of ocean piers or railway platforms in black and white. Nearly always practiced by photographers seeking to distance themselves from ‘ordinary’ photographers by the simple process of shooting mind-bogglingly dull subjects.

High Key – basically lone trees on snowy hillsides. Often attributed to shots after the fact because the photographer accidentally over-exposed an image and thinks the resulting shot looks ‘arty’.

Mono – black and white effect employed by photographers in an effort to save an otherwise seriously flawed image.

Foreground interest – bits of wood, branches, seaweed, shells and other readily available detritus that a photographer can drag from its actual resting place to a convenient spot just in front of what they’re actually photographing. Most commonly employed by coastal photographers who will cheerfully drag a six foot branch for half a kilometre if it makes their sunset composition look a bit less dull.

Glass – hipster-ish way of referring to lenses.

HDR – an image produced by combining multiple exposures in the hope of visualising a bad acid trip endured during a visit to a brutalist east German shopping centre. HDR’s reputation in the photographic community is only marginally bettter than Gary Glitter’s in the music industry. Note: 99.999% of photos labelled HDR are in fact tone-mapped images, but the label has kind of stuck now.

Boudoir – slightly over-weight ladies wearing bra and knickers, posing awkwardly on brass bedsteads. Requires soft lighting, heavy vignetting and massive post-processing to eliminate all traces of humanity from the subject. The end results are usually about as erotic as a colonoscopy.

Light-Painting – usually nothing more elaborate than a 30 second exposure of some bloke spinning some burning steel wool on the end of a piece of twine in front of a quarry or a bit of woodland. The end results looks like a long exposure shot of some bloke spinning some burning steel wool on the end of a piece of twine in front of a quarry or a bit of woodland.

Surf Photography – photos taken from inside a breaking wave. The shot in question (taken on a GoPro by someone in 2foot surf with a lot of time on their hands) is usually the only flukey keeper out of 500 exposures. The only exception to this rule is Clark Little who twats himself about in monster shore-breaks in Hawaii and deserves every bit of credit for popularising this now over-subscribed photo style.

Street photography – homeless people and street vendors photographed without their knowledge by people with Leicas and beards.

Straight out of the camera – just enough processing so that it doesn’t immediately look like it’s an HDR (see above).

Night-sky Photography – the Milky Way.

Storm Chasing – photographs of adverse weather such as electrical storms and funny looking clouds. Seems to attract the most serious-minded individuals in what is already a fairly serious-minded past-time. Storm chasers use the term ‘core punch’ without the slightest trace of levity to describe the act of driving through the middle of a thunderstorm taking photographs as you go. I know, right?

Travel Photography – holiday snaps taken on a DSLR rather than an iPhone.

Film – edgy dudes shoot on old-fashioned cellulose in the mistaken belief that it makes their photographs somehow more worthwhile than the average iPhone snap.

Kit lens – disparaging way of referring to the lenses that are bundled with DSLRs. Owners of said lenses are made to feel that they are inferior ‘glass’ (see above) that should be drop-kicked into a rubbish bin at the first opportunity.

Drone Photography – cool way of flying $500 into a lake.

Bokeh – Japanese for ‘blurry blobs’.

Trophy Shot – this is photograph taken in a location that’s been shot thousands of times. Most photographers think they can do a better job than the other guy and so the caption for said trophy shot inevitably begins, “I know it’s been shot a thousand times, but …”

Semi-Pro – once sold a canvas print to a friend of their mum.

Pro – stay-at-home mum who bought an entry-level DSLR to stave off the boredom and keep the PND at bay and now charges $300 to photograph pregnant ladies and family pets using only kit lenses (see above).

Landscape Photographer – semi-autistic person who likes spending long periods on their own and didn’t fancy taking up fishing.

Secret Spot – geographic location jealously guarded by a photographer because they are obviously the only person worthy of recording its majesty. Said location is often revealed on social media by a local who comments, “Isn’t that Little Squiggly Dell down the end of Browns Lane?”, followed shortly after by a, “Yes, well spotted!” said through teeth so gritted they might just crack.

Instagram – place where photographers upload pictures of food taken on a DSLR while pretending they were shot on an iPhone.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    Any recommendations on renting lenses in NYC? After much introspection, I desire the 35mm L-series lens. I see one for rent at some place. They say they need a credit card (have) or insurance (don't have - what kind of insurance?) to cover the lens in case it is not returned properly. Does that mean they put a hold for the full price of the lens on your card and take it off once you return it safe and sound?

I have a shoot on Sunday where I think it will come in handy along with my other two primary lenses (and it's a good opportunity to practice with it on a human subject) so I dunno. Any advice/opinion?

• Options
    edited March 2015
    From a photo.net post
    The type of policy you need depends on how you use your equipment. If you do not make any money through the use of your equipment, a standard homeowners or renters policy should cover against theft and fire, even when your equipment is outside your home. Typically, standard homeowners and renters policies cover you against named perils only. They also typically have deductibles. If your equipment is accidentally damaged, for example, you drop it, chances are it will not be covered under a standard homeowners or renters policy.

...snip...

If you use your equipment primarily for business purposes, you should be insured by a commercial inland marine policy. A commercial policy offers all-risk coverage for equipment, eliminates the potential of exclusions if equipment is used professionally, and offers a variety of optional floaters designed to insure against the liabilities faced by a professional (e.g., someone trips over your tripod).

http://photo.net/learn/insurance

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    I tried to shoot color. I failed.

16937174096_4738b08501_c.jpg_DSC8174 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

Fuck ektar. I will use it the way I want to.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    gah I bought a DSLR because i hate my current camera and also I may have broken it a bit

now I'm going to have to justify the cost by learning how to use it properly and taking way more photos

• Options
    Awesome! Yes, can't wait to see what you post tynic :) the more people here, the merrier.

• Options
    From a photo.net post
    The type of policy you need depends on how you use your equipment. If you do not make any money through the use of your equipment, a standard homeowners or renters policy should cover against theft and fire, even when your equipment is outside your home. Typically, standard homeowners and renters policies cover you against named perils only. They also typically have deductibles. If your equipment is accidentally damaged, for example, you drop it, chances are it will not be covered under a standard homeowners or renters policy.

...snip...

If you use your equipment primarily for business purposes, you should be insured by a commercial inland marine policy. A commercial policy offers all-risk coverage for equipment, eliminates the potential of exclusions if equipment is used professionally, and offers a variety of optional floaters designed to insure against the liabilities faced by a professional (e.g., someone trips over your tripod).

http://photo.net/learn/insurance

Thanks!

• Options
    took my new camera out for a spin on the weekend and realised two things
    1) i'm totally in love with it
    2) it's way too good for me, I'm not ready for this shit.
    I hated my last camera so much I've basically been shooting with my iphone for the last two years, which makes me pretty relaxed about post-processing. Filtering them out the wazoo and colour-correct them to hell and back, who gives a shit. Now I've got a real camera and I've suddenly developed standards.

Didn't get anything i'm particularly happy with yet, but here are some point-and-shoots I kind of liked. (I also did a lot of messing around with shutter speeds and running water and the usual guff, I'm a-learnin').

You have no idea how much I itch to mangle these in Snapseed, you guys. Seriously.

fzwxuzkchz0i.jpg
    ktucqukirhfn.jpgn2cyilyuy496.jpg1nn75sef1qxk.jpg
    5wmy1l77zq0a.jpg

• Options
    tynic wrote: »

Didn't get anything i'm particularly happy with yet, but here are some point-and-shoots I kind of liked. (I also did a lot of messing around with shutter speeds and running water and the usual guff, I'm a-learnin').
    Don't know what you're talking about, those black and white shots are amazing. Love the fourth in particular. Post your Flickr! (if you've sigged it, n/m, I'm on my phone and can't see it).

Anyway, glad you're happy with the camera, and look forward to seeing more!

• Options
    Thanks baron! That means a lot. I do have a Flickr (in my sig) but it's woefully underutilized. Hopefully will be seeing some more action now though!

• Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    Have a look at this for some B&W conversion knowledge. With digital, you can simulate the process of using coloured filters for B&W film which will emphasize or subdue certain colours depending on the filter. The process is really easy in stuff like Lightroom or whatever you're using for post processing.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/digital_black_and_white.html

• Options
    flickr's so good for getting an audience and getting motivated. get your photos up to the right groups - for your camera, lens, processing style, film, subjects, whatever - and you'll find yourself really quickly pushing to get better shots up.

i have a couple of film rolls going but for now i suppose i should share some digital shots, since i've taken a few

16459273214_dda8a32960_c.jpg
    Digital Connections by jeremy-o, on Flickr

16459268974_d8956f4996_c.jpg
    Railroad by jeremy-o, on Flickr
    bonus baby

16459256044_004529e9dc_c.jpg
    Creek Thoughts by jeremy-o, on Flickr

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    I use my flickr account as a something of a working notebook. So it is a total mess. Welcome to the fold Tynic!

17084807141_c485b5ebf0_c.jpg_DSC8248-Edit by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    I use my flickr account as a something of a working notebook. So it is a total mess. Welcome to the fold Tynic!

I once sold a picture very similar to this for about $400 when I worked in high end retail. There is a huge market for door pictures, especially interesting industrial-looking ones.

• Options
    Enc wrote: »
    I once sold a picture very similar to this for about $400 when I worked in high end retail. There is a huge market for door pictures, especially interesting industrial-looking ones.

Or you could sell it to Shutterstock for $10!
    I might be working for them here in the near future if this next software interview goes well

• Options

Well then I am sitting on an untapped goldmine of door photographs.
    Thats pretty interesting though, never thought of high end retail as an outlet for this kind of stuff. I always imagined it dominated by Peter Lik over saturated landscapes.

Or you could sell it to Shutterstock for $10!
    I might be working for them here in the near future if this next software interview goes well

No sale, but good luck on your interview!

• Options
    edited April 2015

Holy shit, really? I know what I'm taking pictures of next time I'm on a trip. Where do you go specifically to sell photos at those kinds of prices?

Bubby on
  • Options
    Printing money!

16908256458_823250e05a_c.jpgMPU by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

• Options
    Bubby wrote: »

Holy shit, really? I know what I'm taking pictures of next time I'm on a trip. Where do you go specifically to sell photos at those kinds of prices?

Honestly the best thing to break in is go direct to the source. Find a small (private) high end interiors store and go there directly as a customer first, see what they sell and for how much, and assume art has about a x2.5->x3 markup. Then make sure your portfolio lines up with what they sell and ask to speak with the purchaser. Show your portfolio and lowball the markup.

Or you can try to get a stall or a share at a stall at one of the interiors Market conventions (the biggest interiors one is in Highpoint, NC each year, with smaller ones across the country). Most interior design firms send a buyer to market looking for the smallest and most unique groups to buy from because they don't want their product reproducible by competition, which is how a lot of art gets sold.

Landscapes and such always have a market in high end design, but less and less each year. The last 20-30 years have moved away from them since they are associated with stuffy, old manor homes rather then the more bohemian aesthetic that is booming right now.

I remember one of my family mmbers (an interior designer herself one of the owners for our store)went on a trip of Greece and Italy and just took pictures of doors and alleys the whole time. Ended up getting about 17 pictures printed and framed and sold them all for $200-$600. Paid for the trip with a bit left over.

• Options

Honestly the best thing to break in is go direct to the source. Find a small (private) high end interiors store and go there directly as a customer first, see what they sell and for how much, and assume art has about a x2.5->x3 markup. Then make sure your portfolio lines up with what they sell and ask to speak with the purchaser. Show your portfolio and lowball the markup.

Or you can try to get a stall or a share at a stall at one of the interiors Market conventions (the biggest interiors one is in Highpoint, NC each year, with smaller ones across the country). Most interior design firms send a buyer to market looking for the smallest and most unique groups to buy from because they don't want their product reproducible by competition, which is how a lot of art gets sold.

Landscapes and such always have a market in high end design, but less and less each year. The last 20-30 years have moved away from them since they are associated with stuffy, old manor homes rather then the more bohemian aesthetic that is booming right now.

I remember one of my family mmbers (an interior designer herself one of the owners for our store)went on a trip of Greece and Italy and just took pictures of doors and alleys the whole time. Ended up getting about 17 pictures printed and framed and sold them all for $200-$600. Paid for the trip with a bit left over.

Interesting, thanks for the tips. I've never even been to an interior design store.. I'm in San Diego so maybe there's some around.

• Options
    edited April 2015

Interesting, thanks for the tips. I've never even been to an interior design store.. I'm in San Diego so maybe there's some around.

Yeah, that's some great info to have and much appreciated Enc.

I somehow deleted my personal folder on my work computer, contains a lot of stuff I shoot on the road from appointment to appointment... that's a huge bummer. I think I have a decent amount of it backed up but there's some stuff in the last couple weeks I've shot that's gone. Bummer dude.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    Would something like Dropbox be able to hold your stuff effectively? Photos can get pretty big, But I think you can get about 15 gigs free for temp storage.

• Options
    Would something like Dropbox be able to hold your stuff effectively? Photos can get pretty big, But I think you can get about 15 gigs free for temp storage.

It would, I actually have a friend with a huge ass server where I have 500gb of storage where I put all my stuff. The problem being I had a folder on my work computer I only backup every few weeks and work has been so crazy I just hadn't gotten around to it. I'm still perplexed as to how I deleted it, I must have accidentally dragged it to the recycling bin at some point in the last 24 hours and just not noticed. The part that has me the most bummed was all the Denver Doors I'd taken photos of (around 20). Most of them I took in the same day because the lighting was incredible with a slight overcast. Guess I'll just have to go at it again or maybe find better doors.

Anyways here's a few since I've been doing a lot of writing and not a lot of posting lately.

16912233518_2b948c92de_c.jpgAround the Bend by Prospicience 101, on Flickr

17100015265_d15e746931_c.jpgAll Seeing Eye by Prospicience 101, on Flickr

16892623907_5fe19670fe_c.jpgFarming by Prospicience 101, on Flickr

16892623067_65c9bd1e86_c.jpgPower Up by Prospicience 101, on Flickr

@tynic great first set! I like all those B&W, especially the second and third. Really great compositions.

Munnin you're killing those industrial doors :^:

Baron, really like that last one with the tracks going into ze mountains.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    @Prospicience you mind if I do some studies from your work?

• Options
    edited April 2015
    @iruka Not at all, I take a lot of these photos planning to watercolor afterwards but usually don't have time. So would love to see some studies!

Prospicience on
  • Options
    Baron, really like that last one with the tracks going into ze mountains.
    You've got the wrong Aussie, I haven't posted anything of note in like a month. Agree it's a cool shot though.

I really like your Power Up shot, though I wish more of the foreground was in focus. The very bottom of the frame feels a bit distracting.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Went hiking and took a lot of astoundingly blurry landscapes. Apparently I still haven't figured out my aperture settings. Or something.

Non-blurry less blurry non-landscapes

eesy5fyblou4.jpg
    v8iuryqgbc26.jpg
    puuy16ibsuui.jpg
    hnaa96xggfqa.jpg

edit: size, fuck.

tynic on