Options

Can't stop the [PHOTO]

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2015
    haha holy shit really? that's awesome

I admit the crystal embedded in the bow had me looking a bit askance but the whole thing is a lovely bit of craftsmanship

agh, botp'd
    One more, and I'll stop spamming this thread for at least a few days. This is, so far, the only colour shot I'm happy with. I'm thinking Portra 160 doesn't handle overexposure as well as Portra 400, which I regularly shoot @200. I'm getting very little dynamic range and a green cast in the highlights. Here's to hoping my roll of Cinestill 800 comes out alright.
    16815316184_caa98d8b4a_c.jpg
    Fence by Rohan Bassett, on Flickr

[edit: oh look, flickr uses your real name when posting links now. that's new.
    tynic wrote: »
    taking decent photos while climbing is probably an acquired skill

17463810015_1b79411b95_z.jpg

16841312434_03be00501f_c.jpgIMG_1368 by niccarey, on Flickr

16841210604_eefd60944a_z.jpg

tynic on
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    edit: it's late, and I'm an idiot.

tynic on
  • Options
    Baron DirigibleBaron Dirigible Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Is it still spamming if it's the same photo? Re-edited this shot based on feedback from another forum. Kind of like this better, kind of prefer the original. There's also a third version kicking around on my hard drive now that's more contrasty, but I don't know if it's any improvement.

16815316184_cece1bd25d_c.jpgFence by Rohan Bassett, on Flickr

@tynic, I really like that first shot, and the contrast in the second works really nicely. Please tell me the photo is massively tilted though!

Baron Dirigible on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    One more, and I'll stop spamming this thread for at least a few days. This is, so far, the only colour shot I'm happy with. I'm thinking Portra 160 doesn't handle overexposure as well as Portra 400, which I regularly shoot @200. I'm getting very little dynamic range and a green cast in the highlights. Here's to hoping my roll of Cinestill 800 comes out alright.
    16815316184_caa98d8b4a_c.jpg
    Fence by Rohan Bassett, on Flickr

[edit: oh look, flickr uses your real name when posting links now. that's new.

I REALLY like the first edit. The original had a really nice cyanotype feel to it; the new one feels more... overworked somehow?

Liking that tree reflection photo too. If you do want more space above, I don't think that's cheating; it's basically you just transmitting what you saw - to what you're now showing us (I keep wanting to say, "how you see the picture in your mind, and how you put it on paper" but there is NO paper here). Ansel Adams would spend an entire day or more editing a single photo in the darkroom. There are a ton of popular photographers nowadays that use focus stacking panoramas. I just think of it as a tool to extend what as photographers we use where needed, for example: You didn't want to carry all types of lenses with you on this walk you're on, so you imitate it with your 70-200 (or whatever). Same as if say... a painter uses a different type of paintbrush to get a specific style of stroke. I think I went overboard with examples, but yeah.

@tynic I really like the B&W climbing photo, the range of values in those grays is delicious. Also think you did a good job framing the couple with the depth of field bright on one side and dark on the right, really draws them eyes to the subject.

Finally getting around to editing the photos from my trip. Here's a few for now:

17209696549_17a2b98043_z.jpgCaution: Weaving by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

17473211261_d025d6f895_z.jpgUltimate Power by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

16854639193_dc4981e1d0_z.jpgPower of Observation by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

17475966395_5a9c46cd68_z.jpgPorron by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

edit: will flickr never stop changing their layout? Every time I get comfortable they throw me for a loop with their overhaul.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    Fantastic stuff @Prospicience . Although I feel that the sign in the first photo would benefit from being a bit more centrally located. It feels almost cut off otherwise.

I just dropped some money on having some huge prints made, and I realized that I am running out of wall space. Will have to see if I can pawn them. Otherwise maybe we can see if we can make some sort of print exchange here?

• Options
    @tynic, I really like that first shot, and the contrast in the second works really nicely. Please tell me the photo is massively tilted though!

oh yeah, I was leaning off the side of a cliff and holding the camera at a really weird angle to get the shot. Frankly I'm amazed it came out at all.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    @Muninn thanks man! I agree about the sign placement, that's kinda where I ended up on it. Not completely happy with it but, felt the left was too heavy when I centered the sign.

@Tynic that makes it all the more impressive haha.

Treated myself to one of these for my birthday. Always love taking my instax on trips with me, now I can just take this little guy and print photos directly from my 6D/iPhone. Pretty cool, you can even print your contact info on there and use it as a business card or whatever.
    Edit: I'm basically done with the photos from my trip, so I'll be dumping quite a bit - apologies ahead of time! :p

17313091659_d37d2a5e70_z.jpgLooking Down and Back by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

17311787740_7f38875e3f_z.jpgBlink by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

16876821224_ace1afb734_z.jpgWho Watches the Watchmen? by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

Prospicience on
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I REALLY like the first edit. The original had a really nice cyanotype feel to it; the new one feels more... overworked somehow?
    Thanks! I'm not sure if this is an issue of balance, or if I should be rocking the cyanotype look over a more realist portrayal. Generally, with film, my intent is to use its advantages of latitude and colour rendition without making the medium too obvious -- and I feel as if the first toes that line. Which isn't to say I'm still satisfied with the second. I think I need to step away from this photo and come back to it later.
    Finally getting around to editing the photos from my trip. Here's a few for now:
    17473211261_d025d6f895_z.jpgUltimate Power by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr
    Really liking this one. It's funny -- when I saw it, I kind of wished it were even wider, as the image right now still feels quite tight despite (perhaps, due to?) the open landscape. And then on the Flickr page you mention it's a cropped image. Did a wider view not work, or were there other elements that distracted?
    muninn wrote: »
    I just dropped some money on having some huge prints made, and I realized that I am running out of wall space. Will have to see if I can pawn them. Otherwise maybe we can see if we can make some sort of print exchange here?
    I'd be keen for a print exchange in theory, but I have literally no wall space as-is! I've been tossing around the idea of a zine for a while, and your comments to jezz a page or so ago are making me wonder if a zine exchange could work.

Baron Dirigible on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    taking decent photos while climbing is probably an acquired skill
    17463810015_1b79411b95_z.jpg
    I think this one is pretty good.

Also taking great climbing photos requires things like this:
    dgaf-because-friday-b-02.jpg

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    I'd be keen for a print exchange in theory, but I have literally no wall space as-is! I've been tossing around the idea of a zine for a while, and your comments to jezz a page or so ago are making me wonder if a zine exchange could work.

Or we could combine forces and make a group zine!

Messing around with instant film:

16966932034_a2b9c220f2_z.jpgUntitled by Maciej, on Flickr

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Got up before dawn earlier in the week, took my Hassy and tripod out to a park, and shot some ten-year expired film.

17486695450_44732fd086_c.jpg
    No Smoking by Rohan Bassett, on Flickr

Going to have to do that more often. Dawn is such a great time to shoot.

Baron Dirigible on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Doing my first studio shoot today. Ever.

I hope I don't fuck this up.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    OllieOllie Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    This picture is confusing the shit out of me.

I mean, I like it, I just don't understand what I'm looking at.

Ollie on
  • Options
    It's a pretty cool shot but I can't really take the credit for it :p

• Options
    OllieOllie Registered User regular
    Oops, fixed. The quotes-in-quotes threw me off.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Some Cinestill 800. First, touristy bullshit in Sydney:
    17193922043_99e549c1a1_c.jpg
    Opera House by Rohan Bassett, on Flickr

And then, Melbourne in a single shot:
    17629080059_99779e3c8e_c.jpg
    Cornish Arms by Rohan Bassett, on Flickr

Baron Dirigible on
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Ollie wrote: »
    This picture is confusing the shit out of me.

I mean, I like it, I just don't understand what I'm looking at.

@Ollie

Porron. Old Spanish wine drinking game.
    porron%20cristal.jpg

Basically you fill it with wine, start pouring the wine into your mouth almost at your lips. Then, you pull the wine away as it's pouring into your mouth, you're supposed to fully extend your arms so that the porron is as far away from you as you can get it. Then, you slowly try to get it back near your mouth, stop, and pass it to the next person - if you spill you lose.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    17651545890_0cf442bb11_c.jpg
    Edge by Rohan Bassett, on Flickr

17688052530_9a8c5d6346_c.jpg
    Whale Watching by Rohan Bassett, on Flickr

the first shot made it to flickr explore :yay:

which, so far, seems to have resulted in a ton of likes for that one photo, but no new followers or activity anywhere else on my stream

I guess I'll take the validation? not sure how long this thing lasts...

• Options

I kinda dig it. The colors and the vignetting. Wish it was a bit more centered on the opera house.

the first shot made it to flickr explore :yay:

which, so far, seems to have resulted in a ton of likes for that one photo, but no new followers or activity anywhere else on my stream

I guess I'll take the validation? not sure how long this thing lasts...

Congratulations on internet stardom! Let me know how that feels. Will have to live vicariously through you.

I am personally thinking about stopping posting my work online completely. Never had much luck in attracting new eyeballs to it, and I do not currently have time or desire to play all the games needed to do that.
    Seeking validation from others prevents me from getting work done. I get impatient and post stuff that is not finished, instead of focusing on reshoots and tweaking things that have a promise of being any good.

Case in point.

18070813635_9aaa9ba30a_c.jpg_DSC8385 by Maciej, on Flickr

I think I can hear the sound of the worlds smallest violin.

• Options
    muninn wrote: »

I kinda dig it. The colors and the vignetting. Wish it was a bit more centered on the opera house.
    Thanks! Looking at it again, now, I think it's maddeningly just off-level, but I was particularly happy with the vignetting. The colours surprised me a lot -- it's a tungsten-balanced film but it seemed to really work with the scene.
    Congratulations on internet stardom! Let me know how that feels. Will have to live vicariously through you.

I am personally thinking about stopping posting my work online completely. Never had much luck in attracting new eyeballs to it, and I do not currently have time or desire to play all the games needed to do that.
    Seeking validation from others prevents me from getting work done. I get impatient and post stuff that is not finished, instead of focusing on reshoots and tweaking things that have a promise of being any good.
    Yeah, I understand that completely. Getting on explore was nice as an ego-boost, but I've always put more stock in faves (and thoughts) from people whose opinion and work I already respect. As it turns out, once the dust has settled, that shot earned a star from one person I follow, and none of the 80+ faves or 7000+ views translated into more people looking at the rest of my work. I mean, woe is me, but explore has always been arbitrary and it seems somewhat self-serving if photos are only getting attention because they're on explore.

500px, for the short time I was using it, was even worse -- every photo can be "liked" or "faved", every photo has a rating, every user has a score, the site emails you every time your photo is Upcoming, it's Fresh, it's Hot, it's Awesome, it's Oh Have You Considered A Premium Account?

... so, yeah. I completely understand the desire to get off the treadmill. I'll still keep using Flickr because it's a good way to host photos I'm not going to put up on my personal website, and see photos from people whose work I respect and admire. If they see and like it back, all the better -- but I don't see the point in trying to get on explore or whatever if it's not going to lead to any more interest in the rest of my work.
    18070813635_9aaa9ba30a_c.jpg_DSC8385 by Maciej, on Flickr
    I like the composition, but I wish the background had the same awesome contrast as the foreground. Are you returning to take the shot again, or working on processing this shot more?

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    some shots from this stupid portra 160 which looks the same as portra 400 but is slooooowww

17448422184_72afbf8278_c.jpg
    Saturday Vibes II by jeremy o., on Flickr

18112657141_a1989514f6_c.jpg
    Starlit Garden by jeremy o., on Flickr

18151748871_e35f06b598_c.jpg
    Olympic Harbour by jeremy o., on Flickr

i took my new D3300 out tonight to get some shots of the light festival in sydney. i got a few i guess, i dunno. digital.

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Slow is good. Extra detail, and you get to open up your fancy lenses in daylight.
    And I have started to shoot digital again. Took my monster Mamiya and a fuji x100 to NYC and after a while I just didn't want to deal with the bulk and slowness of the Mamiya. And the original x100 produces amazing colors.
    18153157411_b3d618df3d_c.jpgDSCF5223 by Maciej, on Flickr

• Options
    i am finding that white balance is a pain in the arse again going back to a nikon dslr after only using the X100 for digital and rarely having to think about it

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    @Munin ps the last photo makes a wicked optical illusion in the bottom right corner. makes it look like a diagonal crop

18160209816_067359babe_c.jpg
    Cumberland Stage by jeremy o., on Flickr

18000514319_f03343bc83_c.jpg
    Angel & Ash by jeremy o., on Flickr

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah @munnin I'm right there with you, as I think a lot of us are (artists and shit). I got one explore on a photo I wasn't even particularly happy with, so I looked into it more. It's basically how many eyes have gotten onto your photo, it also seems somewhat due to who's eyes got onto it or who originally liked your photo (which just gets more eyes if they're flickr popular). The more popular people I've looked into (on flickr) tend to post the shit out of their photos in tons groups. Not all of them do this, but I've seen a lot of not so great photos at least gain notoriety just by blasting their photos in groups. For a while now I just kinda throw stuff up at my own leisure. For example - I've got about 40 photos I'd like to upload (edited and everything), but I really dislike the feeling of waiting to see what people think and trying to game the system as opposed to just posting them.

I do really enjoy posting photos here the most however, and I think small communities tend to give the best feedback. If you do stop posting... well, I know I will hugely miss seeing your photos. Can't imagine others won't miss them as well :) Plus I think it's good to have some sort of community feedback whether it be small or not.

@bsjezz really dig that starlit garden photo. Wish I could read the sign on the Cumberland Stage sign!

Here's a few
    18007378440_857d279ed0_z.jpgGuiding Light by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

17572488354_3eb7186d1e_z.jpgDark Time Sunshine by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

17574496563_0eaabc076a_z.jpgPerfectly Illuminated by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

17574497343_53d9bb465c_z.jpgAs the Crow Flies by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

• Options
    oh man @Prospicience, those top two are killers. first one just because how the hell did you catch that, and the second is just a really good eye, composed and framed brilliantly

here are a few of those digital shots i was whining about

17602228053_420729f7ee_c.jpg
    Dusk and Dawn by jeremy o., on Flickr

18219089482_896f7885fe_c.jpg
    Neon Children II by jeremy o., on Flickr

18035073310_b1f96552f1_c.jpg
    The Last Dark Hollows by jeremy o., on Flickr

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Was in New York and SF last week so probably will be a few pics to post from there as I go through my card

18211579430_98407b305b_z.jpg

I really like this one in B&W but at the same time it seems a shame to lose those awesome reds

18211431238_c4c52ee7dd_z.jpg

(colour version)
    18372837296_8530c1bd1f_z.jpg

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    I like the color version of those lanterns a lot!

• Options
  • Options
    really dig the composition and colours on that first shot!

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    sorry 'bout the dusty negs...

18442067728_e2bc66702b_c.jpg
    Terminal by jeremy o., on Flickr

18638983616_344b73b841_c.jpg
    Lifestyles of the Even Richer by jeremy o., on Flickr

18042616524_73180d6392_c.jpg
    A Low Shape on the Water by jeremy o., on Flickr

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Enjoying the American shots, @tynic -- but I'm recognising my own habit of always shooting rooftops and upper-level facades. Do you have any shots from ground level?

Semi-related, got a book of Eggleston photos for my birthday, and enjoying going through that for some inspiration. He does a lot of audacious street photography I've always shied away from, but the compositions work to give the images more power than a single fleeting moment caught in time. Recommended!

18079686124_cc2b8663cc_c.jpg
    Track by Rohan Bassett, on Flickr

18079686184_3c88c64fd5_c.jpg
    Preston Boathouse by Rohan Bassett, on Flickr

Baron Dirigible on
  • Options
    I really like that first one of the fence, the balance is just right.

And most of my New York photos were taken from the Skyline, so not really! I have some with less of an upwards inclination

18242597680_4feec92e8c_z.jpg

18403892316_ec9d1b4ed4_z.jpg

18242513818_dc23a67a2a_z.jpg

18514931786_9564c0fd82_z.jpg

• Options
    I really like that first one of the fence, the balance is just right.

And most of my New York photos were taken from the Skyline, so not really! I have some with less of an upwards inclination
    Thanks!

That first shot is great -- really works to highlight the sheer scale of the buildings, and I think the tight framing works to subtly reinforce it.

Another one from me:

18532101300_54ef590092_c.jpg
    Cushion by Rohan Bassett, on Flickr

• Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I take boring photos now. While grilling hamburgers.

18162927564_05e9a60a12_o.jpg
    Cumulonimbus by Jeff Fryer, on Flickr

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    MangoesMangoes Registered User regular
    That is far from boring! It's so full of volume I don't even miss the color. Very nice!

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Yeah @CommunistCow that's a great Colorado cloud capture for sure we've had a lot of good sky to shoot lately.

@tynic you're killin' it with these latest B&Ws, all four of those are composition-ally fantastic and just great photos overall.

Something recent. Just got done with a long arduous move to the other side of Denver on top of 60hr work weeks - so I've been a busy boy; as usual my backlog is ridiculous. Hopefully one of these weekends I can get mostly caught up!
    19243419486_e099043de2_c.jpgIn the Hills by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

Prospicience on
  • Options
    Haven't shot anything in weeks.
    Will have to do something about it. I am getting sick of playing GTAV.

Anyways, was looking through the back log:

18695136123_ce6ed9a4eb_c.jpgDSCF5210 by Maciej, on Flickr

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Dig more please @muninn

One from today... which I'm realizing as I type, I never do anymore (post the same day I take the photo)! *backpat*
    19174592110_e025af509f_c.jpg
    East Boulder by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

Don't usually say this, but this one is fun fullscreen for all the detail.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    I wish I was where that farm is right now.