As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

You want to pay me that much to do this [Job]?

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I've got a sore throat, sinus pressure and the insides of my ears are all stinging don't wanna go in today.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    whenever I hear the term "paleo diet" I always picture people eating mammoths

In my (admittedly limited) experience with paleo diet enthusiasts most of them get into it via Crossfit, in which case they're basically a lost cause anyway. @Mogs is a lifter in the strongman (or in her case, strongwoman) thread, and she seems to be doing really well on her version of a "paleo" diet, but I don't think she has fallen down the bullshit well like most do.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    I think Mogs does a really good job of presenting her diet information.

It's just with where I work and what I do I hear a lot of crazy diet shit

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I have to eat gluten free because of being diagnosed with celiac disease.

#1 worst thing about this diet isn't even the diet, its people's reactions when the topic comes up. And hearing the same. fucking. lame. comments. over and over and over

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    its just a diet, its not going to make you fly or anything

people just like feeling superior about things

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    whenever I hear the term "paleo diet" I always picture people eating mammoths

In my (admittedly limited) experience with paleo diet enthusiasts most of them get into it via Crossfit, in which case they're basically a lost cause anyway. Mogs is a lifter in the strongman (or in her case, strongwoman) thread, and she seems to be doing really well on her version of a "paleo" diet, but I don't think she has fallen down the bullshit well like most do.

The diet itself is mostly fine. Just a high protein low carb diet. Mine would probably be identical except I eat dairy and drink alcohol.

The main issue I have is the made up science people use to justify why it's good. It's not even necessary!

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    I'm pretty happy with my diet: I almost never eat processed food bar my weekly treat of a Snickers at work, and maybe one a month a tin of coke because jesus fuck, hangovers do start hitting harder once you pass that big four-oh. I'm about 15lbs overweight but that's largely beause I drink too much. But nearly all the food I eat I cook myself or someone who's cooking I trust cooks it for me, and I average 2 miles of walking every day.

Eat good food. Dont eat a lot of sugar. Get some regular exercise.

Shit aint rocket science

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Hello job thread. I haven't posted in here for a while because I have temporarily devolved to a filthy student, but I just discovered that I have an interview on Monday to potentially get a work placement for the second half of this year. Which is kind of job stuff.

And I haaaate interviews so of course I am freaking out now. Woo.

@Brovid Hasselsmof

Good luck!

ByFDWJ.jpg

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    That is the most pinterest thing I've ever read.

Is that... is that good?

Mason jars are a great vessel for drinking! They're big and whatnot.

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    Man I love when a professor moves up an exam date to the week I took off work to go to Atlanta with my sister
    So now I have to study for three tests this week and the Drawing Day I had set up for tomorrow is right out the window
    Fuuuuuck you, guy

• Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited March 2015

Is that... is that good?

It's a super hipster thing to do, especially in trendy restaurants. There's even a thing of putting whole meals like salads into your mason jar and taking that to work.

EDIT: Do whatever you want to do. It's okay now, you live in a hipster state.

nuka on
    DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited March 2015

Is that... is that good?

Pinterest is a site thats got a lot of crafts on it, stereotyped for using mason jars for all sorts of things, sometimes to the point of losing practicality.

So I was poking you slightly, but there is a mason jar right behind me storing hair ties so I can't talk about using mason jars for everything! :hydra:

(I didn't mean to make the hydra symbol, but I am leaving it there).

Liiya on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    nuka wrote: »

Is that... is that good?

It's a super hipster thing to do, especially in trendy restaurants. There's even a thing of putting whole meals like salads into your mason jar and taking that to work.

Is that... is that good?

I been using mason jars since forever!

Holy shit, I was actually doing something before it was cool.

Now is ska could only become popular again I'll get the double indie wrap-around.

Edit: also putting a pack lunch in a mason jar actually makes aaaaalll kindsa sense.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Yeah the key is to stack the food in layers, with the wettest stuff at the bottom so the dry stuff on top doesn't get soggy.

EDIT: You see people using mason jars all over the god damn place in weddings too. It's cute and rustic and whimsical.

nuka on
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I been using mason jars since forever!

Holy shit, I was actually doing something before it was cool.

Now is ska could only become popular again I'll get the double indie wrap-around.

Edit: also putting a pack lunch in a mason jar actually makes aaaaalll kindsa sense.

Say these words thrice in the mirror and you shall ascend and become the ultimate hipster.

(It kind of does, though they're heavier.)

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Thank you @JoeUser! I don't even know if I want the placement yet, will find out when I go there I guess. But it is nice to feel like I have an option this early in the process. It would be a relief to just have it sorted.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    I'm in South Carolina, so mason jars being super common is a thing I've always been used to.

I can't imagine why you'd want to drink from one though. That'd be so awkward.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    I've seen mason jars sold with stems on the bottom and marketed as hillbilly wine glasses. A old roommate of mine got one once for his birthday.

• Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    ... due to the consumption of a large batch of homemade salsa, and the accidental breakage of many of our "normal" glasses, mason jars have become our regular drinking glasses (smaller ones, 1/2 pints, mind you, not the large ones)

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »
    I'm in South Carolina, so mason jars being super common is a thing I've always been used to.

I can't imagine why you'd want to drink from one though. That'd be so awkward.

it's fine, in my experience
    I've certainly had a bloody mary or two in one

• Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    i once got kicked by a horse. Because the horse I was riding was trying to fuck it.

that's my horse story.

But now you can tell people you were in a threesome.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Work is going to be super interesting tomorrow.

A good portion of the office is likely going to be staying up and watching the cricket world cup final tonight (New Zealand v Australia).

And no matter which way it goes, a lot of people are going to be tired and hungover (obligatory "Go BlackCaps!" here).

But, in hindsight, I understand the rules of ODI cricket a lot better than I did three weeks ago. So yay?

they are all going to be so hungover it's going to be amazing.

• Options
    The real thing about mason jars is that every grocery store carries at least a case or two of them so you end up with loads of people thinking that they're being crafty & unique.

Also, a sign of how the Capitol Hill neighborhood, historically the LGTBQ/acronym HQ of the city, has been overrun by bros-

Last night my store paid to have an off-duty state trooper on site, and then tonight a guy came up to me all pissed that we didn't have a large package of jello shot containers.

I just glared at him for a few seconds, told him we don't sell shot glasses and sent him off to find the solo cups.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I've seen mason jars sold with stems on the bottom and marketed as hillbilly wine glasses. A old roommate of mine got one once for his birthday.

This is great and I want one now

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I was thinking "those might separate too easily" and then I realised that's a feature, not a bug, because you've still got a perfectly good mason jar.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Email asking a simple, non-urgent organizational question about something I was working on.

Email fifteen minutes later asking if I'd received the original email.

Email ten minutes after that saying I need to call them Right Now It's Urgent.

Do so, find out the OMG Urgent thing was asking whether I'd received a bunch of information on Friday whose receipt I acknowledged in detail on Friday, in writing, to the person sending the stack-of-emails.

All between noon and 12:30 on a Sunday, with my terms of employment being kinda explicit about a lack of on-call, drop-everything arrangements.

Yeah, there's reasons I'm sticking to my guns when they want me to go back to that industry full-time...

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I was thinking "those might separate too easily" and then I realised that's a feature, not a bug, because you've still got a perfectly good mason jar.

They're cast as a single piece of glass, because sometimes novelty gifts are at least well-made.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Psychotic people never choose "the easy way" when given the option.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Woke up with my cough way worse and my voice completely gone. Call into to work, who answers? The supervisor who's been at work sick getting over this exact same thing.

• Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    Technical assessments are the devil.
    I'm stuck with doing two this weekend. For jobs I'm probably not going to get.

Ugh.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    Woke up with my cough way worse and my voice completely gone. Call into to work, who answers? The supervisor who's been at work sick getting over this exact same thing.

"I came to work while I wasn't feeling good, what's your excuse?"

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    TheStig wrote: »

"I came to work while I wasn't feeling good, what's your excuse?"

"I don't want to infect a bunch of my co-workers."

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Yeah I don't have any sick leave accrued so somebody else coming to work sick, therefore getting me sick, is costing me money.

"Well just tough it out and go to work."

Sure let's keep this cycle rolling and also people just love having a guy with coughing fits and no voice putting his hands all over their produce.

• Options
    Yeah I don't have any sick leave accrued so somebody else coming to work sick, therefore getting me sick, is costing me money.

"Well just tough it out and go to work."

Sure let's keep this cycle rolling and also people just love having a guy with coughing fits and no voice putting his hands all over their produce.

wait did the guy actually say that to you, or are you doing that thing where you reply to yourself

• Options
    Replying to myself, because while the official line is yeah, don't come to work sick, there's also always that disapproving stare and the "Are you sureeeeeeee?"

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2015
    They told me if you don't feel good you shouldn't come to work.

Then they told me about their attendance policy where if you don't call 24 hours before the start of your shift it counts as an unexcused absence.

You get 5 of those a year before you get a verbal warning.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Just got an email from Crazy VP that I'm going to just full on quote here:
    Just wanted to remind you that April Fools is next week and I'm told that you're in charge of that initiative. As I haven't heard anything regarding it, I'm going to assume that we're behind schedule. Let's sit down tomorrow and discuss a number of ideas I have that I believe are funny so that you and your team can execute them.

You ignorant MOTHER FUCKER. You haven't heard about anything for April Fools because internally we don't even use those two words to describe what we do for that day. Why? Because loose lips sink fucking ships...and because code words are awesome.

Also we do. not. wing. this.

April Fools is a finely crafted series of panic inducing mind bendingly difficult projects. This shit has been in the works since corks were being popped on January 1 and any wrench in the system now will not actually incur my wrath at all. Nay, nay..I would just laugh. Why? Because my counterpart who runs the Creative team here is one "I think we should..." away from bathing herself in the blood of friends, family, and foes alike in her quest to make Sodom and Gomorrah look like a campfire compared to what she does to our offices.

She also CC'd my boss.

edit: while writing that, my boss sent me the following email before I could reply: "DO NOT ENGAGE. STAND DOWN!" He's learning.

edit edit: Also, while searching for how to spell Sodom and Gomorrah, Google has informed me of the following information about the cities: "Weather: 56°F (13°C), Wind W at 8 mph (13 km/h), 84% Humidity"

Sounds nice.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    i just love incompetent management

also I awesome'd that for lack of a better response, i think it more deserves a "bro" or something

Al_wat on
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    That's the thing, I'm not entirely sure that she is.

I mean, I haven't seen proof that she's skilled or capable in anyway at all...but I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt. I really am. She could be utterly and totally competent at something.

My rub is that if you don't know the system, the workflow, the historical significance, or the players please just sit back and ask questions. I'll answer them. I'll answer every single one of them.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    "I'm going to assume that we're behind schedule"
    =
    "Based on no evidence at all I'm going to assume that you're terrible at your job."

I can't think of anything to say.

Gvzbgul on
This discussion has been closed.