As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [MLB] Offseason

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    eelektrik wrote: »
    Wait, what? This is weird.
    Scherzer will receive $210MM for seven years of work, but the contract has an unusual structure, with Scherzer receiving $15MM per season for the next 14 years, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports tweets. That means the Nationals will be paying Scherzer through 2028. Also, Yahoo! Sports’ Jeff Passan tweets that the deal includes a $50MM signing bonus that will be paid out “over a portion of time” for tax reasons. That bonus would, presumably, be included in the $210MM total. As Passan notes, the deferral makes the contract worth about $185MM in present-day dollars. The deferral is also, obviously, the largest one in MLB contract history.

The Bobby Bonilla. Weird.

Also I have to think this means a Zimmermann deal is probably coming, maybe even Strasburg

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Sounds like something NHL teams did a lot to circumvent the salary cap. Which is odd since obviously baseball lacks one.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    http://m.mlb.com/cutfour/2015/01/19/106815974/fernando-rodney-spends-mlk-day-with-us-army-personnel-in-south-korea

Rodney is apparently huge in South Korea, no I have no idea why that is.

I am going to Rodney Bobble Head night if only to get a baseball bobble head doing an archer pose with his hat to the side.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Deferred contracts were a thing back in like, the late 90's-early 00's. Then the contracts came due, and teams realized they were just screwing themselves over long-term.

I guess everything has to come full circle?

• Options
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/mariners-unveil-awesome-new-alternate-uniforms-193704262.html

M's digging up my childhood for their throw back jerseys, which is funny because I mentioned this was one of the mariners better looks prior to the awesome compass redesign.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    MLB is instituting new pace of play rules for 2015 (in addition to the currently unenforced pitch time, which i guess will actually start to be enforced?)
    • Managers must make instant replay challenges from the dugout, rather than the field. This should eliminate the on-field delays that occurred in 2014 while managers chatted with umpires while waiting for coaches or video coordinators to recommend whether a play should be challenged.
    • Hitters must keep one foot in the batter’s box between pitches, unless an established exception occurs. It’s not clear how many exceptions will exist, but during a trial run in the 2014 Arizona Fall League, those conditions included foul balls, foul tips, time being granted by the umpire, and wild pitches.
    • Play will resume promptly once television broadcasts return from commercial breaks.
    • Timed pitching changes.

Penalties for all violations will start in May and will include minimal fines, not balls, strikes. The idea is to change players' habits, not penalize them.

seems like a good direction for the game to go in my opinion.

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    I agree, especially when you see the game in person it can seem to be taking longer than needed.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Yeah seems fine to me. Nothing to really effect the game itself but enough to probably reduce the time a little bit.

Kind of excited with baseball starting up.

Even though my Rockies will be bad.

Very bad.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I am looking forward to baseball as well. Though one of the questions for the Angels this year was whether Josh Hamilton will be able to provide any production, but he certainly won't be from the DL. Recently had shoulder surgery on the 4th and at the time was said to be out for 6-8 weeks, but now they are saying up to 12. This is shaping up to be one of the worst contracts the Angels have signed.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    Yeah, I am looking forward to baseball as well. Though one of the questions for the Angels this year was whether Josh Hamilton will be able to provide any production, but he certainly won't be from the DL. Recently had shoulder surgery on the 4th and at the time was said to be out for 6-8 weeks, but now they are saying up to 12. This is shaping up to be one of the worst contracts the Angels have signed.

I'm glad the Mariners didn't pay that, not that Hamilton wanted to be an M.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I am not looking forward to baseball.

This offseason the Rays and St Pete have really poisoned the well.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015

that's the one good move the rangers made in the last few seasons. ever since then it seems like we've been on the wrong end of every deal :/

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Gooey wrote: »

that's the one good move the rangers made in the last few seasons. ever since then it seems like we've been on the wrong end of every deal :/

Rangers were snake bitten last year with injuries, no way you have near the same amount this year. I'm sure they'll be in contention all year, if any team in the west is going to slide it could be the m's since everyone got stronger in the off season.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I'll just be happy if the Angels pitching doesn't fall apart. If Jered Weaver can remain consistent, C.J. Wilson can bounce back from a disastrous 2014, Garret Richards stays healthy, and Richards and Matt Shoemaker pitch anywhere near where they were last year, they will be in pretty great shape. Not sure who our fifth starter is going to be, but they have some good options going into spring training at least. The other big question for the Angels is second base after trading Howie Kendrick to the Dodgers. Likely going to be a platoon situation for second base and utility infielder based on how all of our options do in spring training.

Other than that, the rest of the lineup is pretty much carried over from last year. Would be great to see Mike Trout moved to the #3 spot in the batting order, but then whoever bats #2 needs to prove some consistency in ST and the early season.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Rangers were snake bitten last year with injuries, no way you have near the same amount this year. I'm sure they'll be in contention all year, if any team in the west is going to slide it could be the m's since everyone got stronger in the off season.

Man I want to believe this... but I just can't. Now that the Hawks season is over it is back to the good ol fashioned cynic attitude that is required being a Ms fan.

• Options
    orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Rangers were snake bitten last year with injuries, no way you have near the same amount this year.

Very unlikely they have as rough a year, but the point about them being on the wrong end of deals has been fairly true recently. At minimum, the Rangers need Prince to show up and beat the crap out of the ball this year.

orthancstone on
    PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • Options
    And now the Hamilton situation gets worse. He's apparently using cocaine again.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    Jubal77 wrote: »

Man I want to believe this... but I just can't. Now that the Hawks season is over it is back to the good ol fashioned cynic attitude that is required being a Ms fan.

Well in positive m's news, the team is healthy, people lost weight they are joking with each other and aside from paxton stripping and falling they have a strong pitching staff. And their new sunday best uniforms are very pimp.

Going to see them opening day!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Is it wrong that I hope the MLB commissioner throws the book at Hamilton so that the Angels can avoid paying out as much of his contract as possible?

(She/Her)
  • Options
    Is it wrong that I hope the MLB commissioner throws the book at Hamilton so that the Angels can avoid paying out as much of his contract as possible?

Nope.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    One thing I'm seeing is that people are like "Hamiltons an addict is it fair to suspend him?"

I'm sorry but if I admitted to my fucking boss that I relapsed and started doing illegal drugs I'm sure I'd be fired with no second thought. Call me callous but Hamilton is a fucking superstar baseball player with a huge contract, I don't have a lot of sympathy he just can't stop using nose candy.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Nope.

Good. I'm all for second chances, but he was already on his second chance after being suspended multiple times in the minors. He had some great seasons that he was lucky to have been able to play at all, but at this point maybe he should consider retiring and using the support of friends and family to stay sober. Even though the relapse was apparently sometime during the offseason, the pressure and travel of a baseball season are probably not doing him any favors.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    What's funny is that people are saying he shouldn't be suspended because of the structure of the season would help him stay sober. And they are using he admitted himself.

Personally Hamilton bugs if only because he seemed to get credit for his recovery based on his "christianity". Plus you know as a mariners fan, fuck him playing for your awful team I hate the angels.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Biggio and Bagwell played for the astros though royals...

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Hi, MLB thread in D&D. Schide started a fantasy baseball league that is basically a blank slate for now. We're thinking of possible doing a single league auction league (non-keeper) but everything is to be determined by the members. So join!

https://yho.com/mlb?l=119381&k=562e54da2d0fcb27&ikey=d2b4ee943b0f5062

• Options

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Rodney one is the only real good one.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Eh the Cano one is pretty funny as well. Especially McClendon's part.

Still miles above the god awful sounders ones, holy crap are their commercials awful.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Man, this sucks. Always a shame to see someone that young die for any reason, particularly something that could have been preventable.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/115372234/mariners-prospect-victor-sanchez-dies-in-venezuela

(She/Her)
  • Options
    Mariners also got fucked by their rule 5 draft guy Rollins getting popped for PED's so even though he's technically like Houston's player or whatever mariners get to eat his 80 game suspension. Worse still he was pitching good in spring training probably because of the PEDS.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I know I'm a month late to the party but Hamilton's addiction is a health problem. It's not a matter of him not having enough "willpower" or "character". As far as I'm concerned, not paying him, especially if it's an insured contract, is tantamount to not paying a guy with cancer even though you signed a contract listing it as a known risk.

• Options
    We're a week away from opening day woo!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

I feel like my hopes have already been crushed and the season hasn't started.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Are the Rockies really that bad?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Not really. Pitiching looks a bit better. If we stay healthy we have a lot better chance to do things.

I just can't get my hopes up.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

Not really. Pitiching looks a bit better. If we stay healthy we have a lot better chance to do things.

I just can't get my hopes up.

Ahh I get that. On paper the M's look to have a stronger year this year. But they looked good in 2010 as well, and then they went on to lose 100+ games.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    John Axford out due to son being bit twice by a rattlesnake

Ugh. Starting to feel a little cursed. Hopefully his son recovers with his foot intact or maybe missing just a toe at most. But damn it he was one of the bullpen moves we made this year that could be okay.

*sigh*

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular

My team basically said "eh, we're going to win like 75 games" in December, so that's fun. At least there will be some cheap tickets this summer.

• Options
    Hmm...Rocks play the Nats on a weekend series here in DC. I can do a Saturday 5 o'clock game.

Hmmmm....

I will go see baseball at least once this year damn it.

u7stthr17eud.png
This discussion has been closed.