As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NCAA Basketball: Selection Sunday

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    You know what these basketball games could use? More time not playing basketball.

As much as I enjoy the spike lee, charles barkley, and sam jackson credit card commercials, holy shit did I see a lot of them when I watched any NCAA game.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    So I sent a bunch of letters to the schools that I care about asking them to keep their basketball operations out of the Final Four this weekend due to Indiana's whole religious discrimination law. I don't know if anybody else is interested, but here's some info on the schools I like and the schools involved on the Final Four:

University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill Athletic Director: Bubba Cunningham.
    919-962-6000 bubba.cunningham@unc.edu

Arizona State University Athletic Director: Ray Anderson
    480-965-0983 Ray.Anderson@asu.edu

Duke University Athletic Director: Kevin White
    (919) 684-2431 kwhite@duaa.duke.edu

University of Wisconsin Athletic Director: Barry Alvarez
    No Email Given, instead direct emails to Breanne M. Eoff
    608.265.4135 bme@athletics.wisc.edu

Michigan State University Athletic Director: Mark Hollis
    517-355-1623 AD@ath.msu.edu

University of Kentucky Athletic Director: Mitch Barnhart
    (859) 257-8015 mbarn@uky.edu

University of Arizona Athletic Director: Greg Byrne
    520-621-4622 uofaad@arizona.edu

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    BubsBubs Not Burbs ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Just to be clear, you called UK's athletic director and asked him to withdraw from the tournament?

PSN: thewheelz
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Bubs wrote: »
    Just to be clear, you called UK's athletic director and asked him to withdraw from the tournament?

BREAKING NEWS: KENTUCKY WITHDRAWS FROM NCAA BASKETBALL TOURNEMENT

HORDE OF ANGRY KENTUCKY FANS LOOKING FOR PERSON ONLY KNOWN AS "RINGO"

THIS HAS LEAD TO THE DEATH OF FORMER BEATLES DRUMMER RINGO STARR ALREADY

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Shaka Smart finally left VCU. Texas got him.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular

Regardless of the likelihood that it'll happen, he still took the time to pick up the phone / bang out the e-mails for a cause that he's sympathetic to. We should all be so engaged. That doesn't deserve mockery.

Would it change your opinion if he wrote Fortune100 company with business or headquarters in Indiana who is equally (un)likely to leave Indiana at the urging of one concerned citizen?

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular

Regardless of the likelihood that it'll happen, he still took the time to pick up the phone / bang out the e-mails for a cause that he's sympathetic to. We should all be so engaged. That doesn't deserve mockery.

Would it change your opinion if he wrote Fortune100 company with business or headquarters in Indiana who is equally (un)likely to leave Indiana at the urging of one concerned citizen?

It's different with a company because they can move their headquarters or petition the government, where the tournament happens once a year and just happened to have the final four in Indiana after the government passed a dumb fucking law. You're not going to convince anybody to give up this awesome chance because a state is dumb as fuck.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    It was also less than a week away and the logistics of moving it somewhere else would have been virtually impossible.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    The hoopla was good though surrounding the law because they ended up having to respond with a clarification law that Pence just signed that actually explicitly gave protections against discrimination that would have had no chance otherwise of being enacted in law in Indiana otherwise. The schools and people deciding not to traveling to the Final Four (UConn coach) look to be a bit premature in their decision though.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    Bowling Green fired their coach over being a sloppy drunk at a bar and slapping a woman on the ass. Good for Bowling Green?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Incindium wrote: »
    The hoopla was good though surrounding the law because they ended up having to respond with a clarification law that Pence just signed that actually explicitly gave protections against discrimination that would have had no chance otherwise of being enacted in law in Indiana otherwise. The schools and people deciding not to traveling to the Final Four (UConn coach) look to be a bit premature in their decision though.

Premature or forcing a bigots hand to do the right thing? Until the "clarification" it was very much a law to let bigoted assholes be bigots legally, now its not. So a win for the side of inclusion.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Bowling Green fired their coach over being a sloppy drunk at a bar and slapping a woman on the ass. Good for Bowling Green?

More like he was giving an advanced seminar on drunken sexual harassment that was caught on video.

So, good on Bowling Green.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Well yeah there was more stuff, but recently we've had people saying that just because something is public they shouldn't be fired for it, so I'm gun shy on celebrating someone getting fired for something that wound up on the internet.

I mean what if he was trying out a new comedic bit about sexually harrassing ladies? boy would egg be all over my face.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BubsBubs Not Burbs ChicagoRegistered User regular

I'm not mocking him, I was just wondering why he'd write the athletic director of a school that happens to be playing a basketball game there instead of, say, the state government that he disapproves of. Especially since that school is located in a different state.

So I asked if he meant what I thought he meant.

PSN: thewheelz
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    D

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    U

• Options
    K

• Options
    E

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    ...is the worst?

Yep!

:P

• Options
    So It Goes wrote: »
    ...is the worst?

Yep!

:P

At losing basketball games maybe :)

This Wisc v Kentucky game is intense

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Karate chop is a no call?

• Options
    Yeah that was some bullshit. I don't know how you can review that and still not call it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LOL, college officiating.

• Options
    Incindium wrote: »
    Yeah that was some bullshit. I don't know how you can review that and still not call it.

Cowards or caught up in the narrative, depending how much of a conspiracy theorist you are.

• Options
    Well, third option is gross incompetence.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular

Hanlon's Razor, I think it's called?

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Basket looked tilted in the background of that foul shot. Weird!

• Options
    But that doesn't mattwr since they can't even hit the rim. Lol

• Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular

Seeing as how the rest of the game went, I'm going with that. The Refs seemed pretty bad on a few accounts.

• Options
    Tommatt wrote: »

Seeing as how the rest of the game went, I'm going with that. The Refs seemed are always pretty bad on a few accounts.

• Options
    Two best college games the last three years (this and 2013 championship) had atrocious officiating. Really need to fix that.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Holy crap I managed to actually lock up a win in the bracket pool at work with the Wisconsin win.

I had Kentucky in our 16 blind pool but don't mind losing that one at all.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    Wisconsin's offense is now 4 points/100 possessions (adjusted for schedule strength) better than anyone since Ken Pomeroy started keeping track. 128.5, next best is last year's Michigan team at 124.1

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    I had wisc and MSU in the PA bracket, but I'll be ok with my back-up wisc/duke bracket where Wisconsin wins it all being the right choice.

Fuck you Kentucky, enjoy the could have been land, home of the patriots.

• Options
    My two favorite teams playing for the National Championship on my birthday. Everything's coming up shark!

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    If you want to view a real interesting dichotomy. Look at the hashtag #statestreet on twitter. Both UW and Kentucky are built on/around a "State Street".

CBzCpC2UAAA507F.jpg

CBzJ5nbUIAAUmD6.jpg

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    My brother and I are tied in our family bracket and we both had Kentucky winning the tournament against Duke so the determining factor is going to be the total score of the game. Since I have the lower score and Wisconsin advanced I think I've got a good shot at this twenty dollars.

Edit: I mean the pride of guessing better, since nobody would bet on college sports.

Magell on
This discussion has been closed.