As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NCAA Basketball: Selection Sunday

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »
    Goumindong wrote: »
    The fucking trajectory changed! It was like the refs had to signal to Vegas that they were doing their jobs to they were made sure to be paid.

or, they didn't have access to that angle in the time they were reviewing the call. It took CBS like five minutes to find that shot, and none of the other angles showed anything nearly that clear. It sounds like the replay review system did not have access to all of the shots we were seeing on TV, which is really fucking disappointing.

Before this game we were assured that the refs would see what we saw. I don't buy that they didn't have access.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    The fucking trajectory changed! It was like the refs had to signal to Vegas that they were doing their jobs to they were made sure to be paid.

or, they didn't have access to that angle in the time they were reviewing the call. It took CBS like five minutes to find that shot, and none of the other angles showed anything nearly that clear. It sounds like the replay review system did not have access to all of the shots we were seeing on TV, which is really fucking disappointing.

Before this game we were assured that the refs would see what we saw. I don't buy that they didn't have access.
    http://deadspin.com/ncaa-officiating-head-refs-never-saw-best-angle-of-con-1696299612

• Options
    Yes I read that too I don't buy it

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options

http://deadspin.com/ncaa-officiating-head-refs-never-saw-best-angle-of-con-1696299612

And turns out I was right

http://deadspin.com/ncaa-vp-actually-refs-did-have-the-best-angle-on-cont-1696635750

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    BubsBubs Not Burbs ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Being right doesn't mean the call will be reversed, should have been reversed, or necessitates this much discussion.

Bad calls are, and always will be, a part of the game. It sucks that it happened in such an important game, and the team everybody hates won that game, but there were many, many other examples of bad officiating in this tournament. Some of those bad calls led directly to Wisconsin and Duke's advancement to the title game, so why harp on this one?

Days later, there's much more important topics in the world of college ball we could be obsessing over.

PSN: thewheelz
  • Options
    Wisconsin nearly got jobbed in the semis too. And no it was not "this one call". And who gives a fuck about all the "more important" stuff we could be doing?

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    BubsBubs Not Burbs ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Wisconsin got through the semis on bad calls. Check the shot clock call against Kentucky and tell me that didn't swing the game.

By more important stuff, there's recruiting, transfers, preseason rankings, coaching changes, guys declaring or not declaring for the NBA draft... All of this is in the "currently happening or yet to happen" pile, and firmly not in the "already happened, and therefore no amount of posting about it will change the fact that Duke won in 2015" pile. I, for one, choose to focus on the future when it comes to sports, and not just obsess over games that already have a definitive outcome. But you do you.

PSN: thewheelz
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    So Hoiberg is reportedly leaving Iowa State for the Bulls.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    LeftOnRedLeftOnRed Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's been known for a while now, but it sounds like it'll be official tomorrow.

It was fun being relevant for at least a little while.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    9ReRvb8.png

• Options
    The rumor all weekend is he was waiting for his kids' last day of school to be over today and the announcement to will drop tonight or tomorrow. There was apparently a verbal agreement on the terms in place over the weekend.

I am sad.

/sigh

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    The rumor all weekend is he was waiting for his kids' last day of school to be over today and the announcement to will drop tonight or tomorrow. There was apparently a verbal agreement on the terms in place over the weekend.

I am sad.

/sigh

:bro:

• Options
    edited June 2015
    The current short list for replacements are promoting T. J. Otzelberger from within - who by all accounts is a fucking recruiting beast responsible for guys like Niang, Ejim, Naz Long, Chris Babb, Will Clyburn, Craig Brackins and basically every Cyclone who's name you recognize recently and a good coach in his own right- Jeff Hornacek - who's also an ISU alum and current NBA coach - or Tim Floyd - who previously coached ISU to the Sweet 16 in the mid 90s before leaving to coach... the Bulls.

Side note, fuck off Chicago, stop it.

There's some other mid-major names in the mix as well (I've heard Bryce Drew of Valpo, and Steve Prohm of Murray State) but whoever they get has the benefit of coming in with a god damned loaded cupboard.

Cog on
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure they're going to hire Otzelberger...and I am completely underwhelmed by the concept. He's a good recruiter, but he's always been selling another coach, he's never been out there selling himself to recruits. I also have no idea how good a coach he is. He's never been head coach at a collegiate level and (outside of years 2 and 3 under Hoiberg) the teams he's been an assistant on haven't been particularly good. I think the tl;dr of it is that I'm afraid he's Wayne Morgan 2.

Of course, one can't help but be a little worried that any mid-major coming in would be McDermott 2, but any hire is going to be some kind of risky and I'd rather at least have a guy in who's ran a program before.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Its one of their insider articles but Jay Bilas has Otzelberger ranked as one of the top head coaching candidates in the nation. He was an assistant HC under Hoiberg from 2010-13 while Hoiberg got his feet under him and would be essentially guaranteed to carry on the Hoiball strategy. The thing I'd worry about is that he is a hot commodity and has shown to be restless with his previous stint in Washington. He's also young and recruits like crazy (He recruited Craig Brackets for Wayne Morgan) and certainly knows and is known in the Ames area. If he gets overlooked again, I'm betting he would walk and probably for good this time. I think that'd be a big loss. A lot of people seem to be pulling for Hornacek, and I'm not convinced that's the direction to go either. Do we just keep handing the job to beloved former players because Fred worked out?

Cog on
  • Options
    I have a hard time taking Bilas seriously about coaches. He's still mad at Michigan for firing Tommy Amaker and replacing him with Beilein.

• Options
    I thought I had heard that Otz interviewed for the jobs at UW Milwaukee and Western (Eastern?) Kentucky which isn't real confidence inspiring, but I don't know how much truth there is in that so grain of salt.

And Hornacek...yeah, I'm real split on him. I agree that a lot of people want him because they're expecting to basically get Hoiberg 2.0 out of the deal and I think that's not really a fair expectation. He's done reasonably well with the Suns (given their talent) so he's probably at least an OK coach, but we have no idea how he is as a recruiter or a teacher (which I assume is a much bigger part of college coaching than pro). No more or less risky than anyone else, just different risks.

• Options
    Regardless, I'm pretty sad.

• Options
    Cautiously optimistic about this Steve Prohm hire.

• Options
    I'm alright with it. I hope Otz stays and doesn't feel snubbed about being passed over. I'm encouraged by the fact that Prohm had an absurd (104-29) record at Murray State, is purported to be an X's and O's guy, and plays up-tempo with the 13th highest efficiency offense in the nation last year. That all feels like swapping same for same. Remains to be seen how the players take to him.

• Options
    New rules for 2015:

30 second shot clock
    4 foot arc
    one less timeout in 2nd half
    coaches can no longer call live-ball timeouts
    10 seconds to advance ball past half court TOTAL, will not reset on stoppages ( with just a few exceptions.. not sure what they are yet)
    15 seconds (down from 20) to sub when a player fouls out, techs to be handed out after first warning for violating this
    refs can replay review shot clock violations on made baskets AND to penalize players for faking fouls
    dunking in pre-game is now allowed again
    5-second closely guarded while dribbling is now gone
    also experimenting with 6 personal fouls in some of the exempt tournaments

• Options
    Oh good, that 10 second clock resets if you call timeout thing was always stupid. There should be more rewards for good defense.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    I think those are all reasonable changes.

Can't wait to see the flop replay arguments though. Those'll be fun

• Options
    The Vanguard of the Bug People (Bo Ryan) is retiring after this season.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    @enlightenedbum

OMG THAT SHOT

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Purdue looking good at halftime. Need to keep it up.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    I want Illinois to win.

Give me all the B1G teams in the tournament

I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Illinois hasn't even matched Purdue's first half total with seven and a half remaining in the game.

Yikes. This UCONN/Cinci matchup is fun though

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    UConn/Cinci in Overtime #4.

All blame goes to Mike Patrick saying, "I've never commentated on a 4 OT game" back during the first OT

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Ringo wrote: »
    @enlightenedbum

OMG THAT SHOT

27% shooter with the game on the line? SURE!

• Options
    Rajin put up a bracket pool in SE++

Don't know if anybody is gonna run one over here so I'll just drop the quote:
    Yes...it is that time again. BRACKETOLOGY! The time of year that Joe Lunardi becomes a household name!

FGCU IS DANCING!!

MONMOUTH HAS A FUN BENCH BUT IS ON THE BUBBLE!

KENTUCKY IS MEDIOCRE!!

DUKE SUCKS!! DUKE ALWAYS SUCKS!!

Anyway...

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE BRACKET BUSTING

Group: Penny Arcade Tournament
    Password: wang

If the link doesn't work...let me know.

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    I'm a day late, but ahahahahahahahahahahaha, IU. Oh my lord.

The screeching for Tom Crean's head is just hilarious after a couple weeks of OMG Coach C is the best!

• Options
    Just watched Melo Trimble fight through a screen to get hit by a ball in the face

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Oh good, finally time for college basketball that can hold my interest.

Join up for tournament picking because you know you like it!:

https://yho.com/tourney?g=51240&k=492428011b8a6967&soc_src=app-sh&soc_trk=lnk

Edit: oh yah, pass word should be the usual:
    wang
    , if not let me know.

davidsdurions on
  • Options
    Rooting for Monmouth to come in, run Tulsa off the court and win the game with Michigan right now

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Oh good, finally time for college basketball that can hold my interest.

Join up for tournament picking because you know you like it!:

https://yho.com/tourney?g=51240&k=492428011b8a6967&soc_src=app-sh&soc_trk=lnk

Edit: oh yah, pass word should be the usual:
    wang
    , if not let me know.

Quite the naming convention we've settled on this year

• Options
    I like it

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Don't hate.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    can anyone explain to me why two 11 seeds are part of the first four

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    can anyone explain to me why two 11 seeds are part of the first four

Since the creation of the First Four, there's always been two games for potential 16 seeds to play in and two games for potential 11 seeds to play in

This year's winning 11 seeds are Michigan and Wichita State

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
This discussion has been closed.