Options

I was looking for a [Job] and then I found a [Job]

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I spell quite well, but "how do you spell archaeologist?" can still throw me for a loop

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Computer science, if you're in a good program with that attract Silicon Valley companies.
    Math and Statistics, if you're willing to do a Master's, and move into finance work.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Also I was so tired on the way home this morning that I misread a sign saying:

"Be a volunteer
    FIREFIGHTER"

as

"Be a freefall
    VELOCIRAPTOR"

I was confused and slightly disappointed.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »
    Also I was so tired on the way home this morning that I misread a sign saying:

"Be a volunteer
    FIREFIGHTER"

as

"Be a freefall
    VELOCIRAPTOR"

I was confused and slightly disappointed.

Even I am disappointed now!

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    Today my manager was talking to me about all kinds of finance related stuff we're working on .. then out of the blue...

Manager: "Hey what do you think about people living on Mars and trying to repopulate the planet? There's no moon, so they wouldn't be able to do it right?"
    Me: "uhhh, sure?"

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    What

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that's a weird comment
    There's Phobos and Deimos, so they'll be able to repopulate the planet twice as fast.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Seriously, which are the fields which let you rake in the $$$ in the US and elsewhere

I've always found it hard to get a grasp on this because people usually only make allusions

@Platypus Beirut

Computer science, which then leads into software development. But that varies on where you are. Here in the Boston area, there is a really high demand.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Don't do whatever the hell I did.

Speaking of, last day of business trip. Everyone is hungover and still six hours of solid talking and working left to go. I cannot wait to sleep properly. Still, I will miss the free food.

And booze.

...mostly the booze.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Remember, eating is cheating

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Study engineering, kids.

the work is ultra satisfying and also pays incredibly well out of the gate. It's tough but completely worth it.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    Study engineering, kids.

the work is ultra satisfying and also pays incredibly well out of the gate. It's tough but completely worth it.

If I ever get a steady schedule, this is actually what I intend on going back to school for. The hard part is trying to also get approved for some kind of tuition reimbursement at work.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    If you're OK with doing helpdesk, and you have a BA in anything, I highly recommend the Verizon position Fiber Support Analyst as an entry level job. I got into that job with a BA in music performance and zero telecom experience, and started at 41k per year, not including overtime and the yearly bonus. Because of the union I am guaranteed a raise every year, so yes I'm making 60k now. Only problem is I doubt there are any other telecom jobs that pay that much out of the gate without experience.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I wish I had gotten a Computer Science Degree instead of Health Studies. Now I have this weird general science bachelor's degree but like I know more about computers, networking, and programming than about half the CS graduates I've met.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Two more interviews this week 8-)

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I wish I had gotten a Computer Science Degree instead of Health Studies. Now I have this weird general science bachelor's degree but like I know more about computers, networking, and programming than about half the CS graduates I've met.

As someone with a CS degree, you are probably better positioned for the job market with what you have.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    EE and CS can also take you in a direction you don't hear much of- there's the whole field of systems integration (basically - programmable controllers that control physical hardware and wired to physical I/O, and then the HMI programs that act as the interface/data collection/controls to the system). I've worked on highway tunnel air filtration, street lamp assembly factory, x-ray gun calibration machines and a high pressure metal fusing system to name a few. Some of my co-workers have done work for LL Bean, Keurig, oil tank contruction, subway systems, etc. The pay is up there with other high end tech ventures typically too, though not as high as some.

Its a huge wide open field and I barely see anybody going into it, mostly because they don't know about it. I only stumbled on it through an internship in college. There's definitely openings in it from a IT/DBA angle, technical writing/documentation management besides just approaching it from EE or CS degree paths.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Naphtali wrote: »
    EE and CS can also take you in a direction you don't hear much of- there's the whole field of systems integration (basically - programmable controllers that control physical hardware and wired to physical I/O, and then the HMI programs that act as the interface/data collection/controls to the system). I've worked on highway tunnel air filtration, street lamp assembly factory, x-ray gun calibration machines and a high pressure metal fusing system to name a few. Some of my co-workers have done work for LL Bean, Keurig, oil tank contruction, subway systems, etc. The pay is up there with other high end tech ventures typically too, though not as high as some.

Its a huge wide open field and I barely see anybody going into it, mostly because they don't know about it. I only stumbled on it through an internship in college. There's definitely openings in it from a IT/DBA angle, technical writing/documentation management besides just approaching it from EE or CS degree paths.

There are a lot of paths leading out from EE and CS degrees that aren't just, "Programmer" or "Software developer".

So actually, one of the really good ways to make money is to be a Systems/Software Tester. Because nobody goes into CS to become a tester and nobody likes testing but testing is critical, so demand easily outstrips supply. You might have to start out in a sucky entry-level testing position, but it's fairly easy to advance, AFAIK. Because again, nobody likes testing.

But yeah. There are lots of lines like systems administrations, network administrators, database administrators, business analysts, etc, that spin off of CS degrees, even though they're not really "taught" in CS programs, and getting onto those career tracks is often a matter of dumb luck and early exposure through summer jobs/internships/whathaveyou.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Gonna ask about a raise soon. Next week my schedule is all supervisor shifts. Nice to be getting a full forty every week now.

• Options
    Kamiro wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »

Two of the best developer I've worked with in the 5 years with my company did not have CS degrees. One was aerospace engineering and the other was audio engineering with a minor in CS. The thing they had going for them that got them in the door (entry level position) was their drive to learn things on their own outside of school with something to show for it. As an interviewer, I care more about what you've built yourself than what you may have learned out of a text book that really has very little relevance in real world applications.

If you want to get into the software world at an entry level position, having something you've created yourself is waaaaaaaaaaaaay more useful than a CS degree. Obviously a CS degree doesn't hurt, but it's not a requirement.

The way I explain it to undergraduates is the degree gets you the interview, but your experience and extracurriculars (relevant ones) are what get you the job.

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    If college is not in the cards and you aren't averse to military service, do 6 years in the Navy as a nuke and then start in the civilian world at $60k+ EASY. If you go civilian nuclear power, you're looking at a lot more. I went into solar and I'm starting at $90k +overtime (but I did more than the 6 year minimum).

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    work in videogames, you make a ton of money in videog-heh-he-hahahahaha

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    As a CS grad with a salary in the mid-50s, I feel a little bad now for complaining about how I haven't gotten a decent raise in the past couple years. Not that bad though, I still think I deserve a raise.

That's only slightly over the average American household income, though. Granted, I'm making that as a single guy while a lot of households have two workers, but I'm surprised such a majority of the thread seems to see it as an unattainable goal, even the tech people? I know our company has basically never not being hiring as long as I've been here, though they also haven't been great at advertising it.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I eventually wanna be a theater teacher.

There is no way I'll EVER make sixty g's

And I'm ok with that

• Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    So far this week has been better than last week

Yay for improvement

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    I'm applying for a new job, and part of the application is a written essay. 2 questions, 1-page, single spaced, times new roman, 11 point font, but nothing about margins which I haven't messed with yet.

I was wondering if anyone here would be willing and able to look over the essay for me? Not for grammar or spelling, my fiancee is all over that, but for content. It's for a position that is guaranteed to get over 1000 apps, and is only looking for ~20 people, so a critical eye from someone who's been on the hiring end would be greatly appreciated.

I can give more details in this thread or by PM, just let me know.

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    Someone lemur me. I've an interview in an hour and a bit.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Study engineering, kids.

As someone who has worked in engineering and software development, I don't like this advice at all.

Programming is way more fun and my grad salary (including bonus) is more than double what I ever made as an engineer.

broken image link
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    All this talk of starting salaries made me realise I am now earning 3 times what I made when I got my first developer job.

Fuck yeah.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    All this talk of starting salaries made me realise I am now earning 3 times what I made when I got my first developer job.

Fuck yeah.

I hit double what I started at when I started here a year and a half back. But that's only because I started so low straight out of university.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    I wish I was earning what I did at blizzard but that might take a few years at my current job unless I get this promotion.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    The average starting salary for a paralegal in DK is 65.000$ After three years you'll be making 72.000$ It's kinda an obscene amount of money for a social science degree.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    I wish I was earning what I did at blizzard but that might take a few years at my current job unless I get this promotion.

yeah I'm frankly flabbergasted that the company was like "yeah okay" when I told 'em how much I wanted to be paid

I'm pretty sure my first full-time job in games is supposed to be a shitty slog??? Not an incredibly comfortable place to learn and grow

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    Study engineering, kids.

As someone who has worked in engineering and software development, I don't like this advice at all.

Programming is way more fun and my grad salary (including bonus) is more than double what I ever made as an engineer.

Counterpoint: programming is horrible and tedious and doesn't get you out in the fresh air enough.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I'm really hoping now that I can get a bigger raise from my moving up at work. Because for the second time inside of a month, local homeless junkies, just a few blocks from where PAX Prime is held, have tried to burn my building to the ground. The guy who set the roof on fire is still in county, and they didn't make any arrests tonight related to the arson.

Seattle rents are so high that I'd need a raise to find a new place in the neighborhood, and even if the people who started this latest fire get caught, I worry about the property owners giving up and selling the lot to new developers.

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    Study engineering, kids.

Counterpoint: programming is horrible and tedious and doesn't get you out in the fresh air enough.

Countercounterpoint: Be awesome at it and work on interesting projects and then it is more problem-solvey than drudgery. Engineering when I did it was mostly about reading mind-numbing regulations and making sure designs didn't break them.

Also my work is doing an experiment where everyone goes on weekly walks around the city for more fresh air, and also also there is a company trip to the Blue Mountains this weekend so that's pretty alright.

broken image link
  • Options
    Study engineering, kids.

Countercounterpoint: Be awesome at it and work on interesting projects and then it is more problem-solvey than drudgery. Engineering when I did it was mostly about reading mind-numbing regulations and making sure designs didn't break them.

Countercountercounterpoint: Be awesome at it and work on interesting projects and then it is more problem-solvey than drudgery

• Options
    Study engineering, kids.

Countercountercounterpoint: Be awesome at it and work on interesting projects and then it is more problem-solvey than drudgery

Countercountercountercounterpoint: I guess the hidden point here is do something you're awesome at and work on interesting projects and you'll probably do pretty well for yourself.

broken image link
  • Options
    yeah!

I mean jokes aside, I'm just not very into software. When I am (reluctantly) forced to develop tools or code in any serious way, the projects are definitely interesting! but the whole process of creation is not one I find very enjoyable.
    It's always nice when something works though, in any arena!

• Options
    Horses for courses and all that.

Bears for careers?

broken image link
This discussion has been closed.