As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Jaywalking] thread... Mayo on everything? Decide loudly here.

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    the cheat wrote: »
    we don't have too many bike lanes around here, so if you insist on cycling anyway, you're kind of an asshole.

If you "insist" on cycling.

The ignorant privilege dripping off of this statement is sickening. I hope if you ever have a medical issue that makes operating an automobile unwise, or a financial status that makes it impossible, that the motorists you have to share the road with are kinder to you.

Desert Leviathan on
    Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Hey tynic what are the jaywalking laws regarding robots, either sentient or mundane?

Well you know what they say, a two-tonne hydraulic gorilla can go where it wants.

... but for all other robots, please don't void the warranty by operating in a non-structured environment.

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    we don't have too many bike lanes around here, so if you insist on cycling anyway, you're kind of an asshole.

The ignorant privilege dripping off of this statement is sickening. I hope if you ever have a medical issue that makes operating an automobile unwise, or a financial status that makes it impossible, that the motorists you have to share the road with are kinder to you.

I mean, if you don't own a car are you even really a person?

I throw my extra pair of Versace sunglasses at bicyclists out the window of my BMW every chance I get.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

right?!

The Cheat, like so many others, should always have to round a curve in a densely forested area and immediately slam on the brakes hoping that he can slow to 10mph in time to not hit that cyclist in the middle of the road!

• Options
    BhowBhow Sunny day, sweeping the clouds away. On my way to where the air is sweet.Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Edit: On second thought, this argument's been had before, and it won't be resolved today.

Bhow on
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Yeah, I mean, if you can't stop to not hit a bicycle going 10 MPH, then you are definitely going too fast to not his something going 0 MPH. Like a deer. Or a stalled car.

JebusUD on
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Yeah, I mean, if you can't stop to not hit a bicycle going 10 MPH, then you are definitely going too fast to not his something going 0 MPH. Like a deer. Or a stalled car.

If the posted speed limit is 40 and all of a sudden you're forced to go 10, it can get hairy fairly quickly

same for a deer or fallen tree or etc.

the only difference is that the cyclist can ride the shoulder or (if available) hit a trail or bike lane.

roads are 12' wide and have two layers of asphalt on 6-9" of compacted fill for a reason, and it isn't to support the weight of a bicycle

edit:

I'm 100% down with cycling

Love it, and if I had one I'd ride as often as possible. But I'd also do the courtesy of sticking to trails, shoulders, and bike lanes.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Xaquin wrote: »

If the posted speed limit is 40 and all of a sudden you're forced to go 10, it can get hairy fairly quickly

same for a deer or fallen tree or etc.

the only difference is that the cyclist can ride the shoulder or (if available) hit a trail or bike lane.

roads are 12' wide and have two layers of asphalt on 6-9" of compacted fill for a reason, and it isn't to support the weight of a bicycle

edit:

I'm 100% down with cycling

Love it, and if I had one I'd ride as often as possible. But I'd also do the courtesy of sticking to trails, shoulders, and bike lanes.

If you can't stop for an obstruction around a curve, then you are going too fast, regardless of the posted limit.

I do agree that it is common courtesy for a bicyclist to move over to the side and allow cars to pass, if it is safe to do so. Sometimes it is safer to be in the middle of the road. Best judgement should always be used, and everyone should relax a little.

That's my main pro-tip for everything though. Everyone relax. It will be okay.
    Bhow wrote: »
    Edit: On second thought, this argument's been had before, and it won't be resolved today.

Nah man, go for it. That's the point of this thread, to distill all the arguments down, into this thread, so we can talk about movies and interesting things in other threads. Do it for the team!

JebusUD on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular

Or an ABANDONED ORPHAN!

• Options

Or an ABANDONED ORPHAN!

It's like 2003 all over again!

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    WON'T ANYONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN?

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    I give cyclists the same courtesy as anyone else on the road. All i ask is they follow traffic laws as well. No running lights and stop signs and no riding up between cars and the curb where there isn't a bike lane.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Invent hover bikes. Problem solved.

• Options

Or an ABANDONED ORPHAN!

Or some guy with a hook hand who will come back around in a year and murder all your high school friends. It's a real concern!

• Options
    Jebus... I know what you did last summer.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Or a GODDAMN LADDER THAT FELL OFF SOMEONE'S TRUCK.

...sorry, still really mad about my car being in the shop.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular

Or an ABANDONED ORPHAN!

Abandoned orphan is kinda redundant.

• Options

Or an ABANDONED ORPHAN!

Abandoned orphan is kinda redundant.

So's your face!

• Options
    Or a GODDAMN LADDER THAT FELL OFF SOMEONE'S TRUCK.

...sorry, still really mad about my car being in the shop.

Some guy driving in front of me dropped about 1/4 of a load of cinderblocks off his truck. Luckily I used the sick driving skillz I learned from The Rock to maneuver my van around them in .5 seconds.

It was scary as hell though.

• Options
    You can be an orphan and not be abandoned

like if your parents were out cycling and are hogging the center of the road despite an 8' shoulder being present and they both get hit by a semi doing the speed limit

they didn't so much abandon their kids as make a foolish decision to hog up a perfectly good road

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »
    I give cyclists the same courtesy as anyone else on the road. All i ask is they follow traffic laws as well. No running lights and stop signs and no riding up between cars and the curb where there isn't a bike lane.

God, yesterday a motorcyclist went between the lanes and drove past like, 6 stopped cars so he could be at the front of the line when the light changed.
    He also had about the goddamn loudest motorcycle I've ever heard. I could hear him gunning his engine long after he was out of sight over all the road noise and loud trucks next to me.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Jebus... I know what you did last summer.

Watch Netflix and goof off?

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

like if your parents were out cycling and are hogging the center of the road despite an 8' shoulder being present and they both get hit by a semi doing the speed limit

they didn't so much abandon their kids as make a foolish decision to hog up a perfectly good road

Maybe that semi shouldn't have been hogging the road either

Bicycles are vehicles like anything else, and should be treated exactly the same as vehicles in all respects

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I can't speak to your area, but around here the shoulder / bike lane is often worse maintained, potholed, filled with broken glass, or within car door range to the point that yes it is sometimes safer to be in the middle of the road.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    I can't speak to your area, but around here the shoulder / bike lane is often worse maintained, potholed, filled with broken glass, or within car door range to the point that yes it is sometimes safer to be in the middle of the road.

Yeah, where I grew up pulling to the shoulder would have meant essentially stopping your bike for a car to pass

If you wanted to actually ride a bike, you needed to ride in lane

• Options
    Need more of this.

810tldkmhpcn.jpg

• Options
    That style is the ideal for cities

But it doesn't work so well when there's a bus stop in the middle of it

And given that buses tend to travel along the best commuter routes

• Options
    Straightzi wrote: »
    That style is the ideal for cities

But it doesn't work so well when there's a bus stop in the middle of it

And given that buses tend to travel along the best commuter routes

Needs more crosswalks across the bike lane for people to ignore.

• Options
    I love everything this thread is about. Bicycling, pineapple on pizzas, jaywalki-

Almost everything

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular

Bicycles are vehicles like anything else, and should be treated exactly the same as vehicles in all respects

Wut. Bicycles are quick pedestrians. They don't get to tool down the middle of a road 30 under like some sort of ridiculous strawman.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    edited November 2015

Wut. Bicycles are quick pedestrians. They don't get to tool down the middle of a road 30 under like some sort of ridiculous strawman.

I don't know where you're from, but in Ontario at least, bicycles are legally vehicles.

As such they are required to be afforded the same respect as you would afford any car, and they are required to obey all traffic laws as a car would unless otherwise specified.

Sir Fabulous on
    pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Bicycles can't be considered pedestrians if they aren't allowed on sidewalks.

• Options

I don't know where you're from, but in Ontario at least, bicycles are legally vehicles.

As such they are required to be afforded the same respect as you would afford any car, and they are required to obey all traffic laws as a car would unless otherwise specified.

An important note is that there are traffic laws regarding impeding traffic, so if you're trying to putz down a two-lane highway at 20 MPH you are in the wrong.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular

An important note is that there are traffic laws regarding impeding traffic, so if you're trying to putz down a two-lane highway at 20 MPH you are in the wrong.

You can't ride a bike on the highway (one of the aforementioned "unless otherwise specified" exceptions to the normal traffic laws).

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options

Yes, but that certainly isn't cause to suggest that you should be hit and killed for doing so

• Options

You can't ride a bike on the highway (one of the aforementioned "unless otherwise specified" exceptions to the normal traffic laws).

Well, sort of

Generally, the law states that you can't ride a bike on a divided, multi-lane road

Which is colloquially called a highway frequently

But highway refers to a lot more roads than just those, and those other roads are generally kosher for bike riding

I prefer to use the distinction freeway and highway in order to maintain this (you can ride your bike on a highway, but not on a freeway)

• Options
    the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    unmarked bike lanes are bullshit and slow up traffic. this is annoying to me. perhaps my ire would be better directed at local government. at the same time... 'kind of an asshole' is not the most hurtful of insults, maybe chill a bit, guys.

tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Judging by the change in thread name, were you actually surprised this is where the conversation went? Frankly I was expecting it sooner.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    unmarked bike lanes are bullshit and slow up traffic. this is annoying to me. perhaps my ire would be better directed at local government. at the same time... 'kind of an asshole' is not the most hurtful of insults, maybe chill a bit, guys.

Other things that slow up traffic:

People driving a full size car when they could just be riding a bike

• Options
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Judging by the change in thread name, were you actually surprised this is where the conversation went? Frankly I was expecting it sooner.

The conversation meandered right out into the street and was promptly hit by a bike. The name change car came by afterward and ran the bike over.

I hope a plane lands on the car now, it has been building up to this the whole time.