Options

[The Witcher Thread] HEARTS OF STONE xp out 13/10/15. Comes with 2 physical gwent decks

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Blood and Wine is a new area and more content than Hearts of Stone

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    JediabiwanJediabiwan Registered User regular
    God, I can't wait for Blood and Wine. From what little we know so far it sounds like everything more I could have wanted from a Witcher game and the perfect ending to the series.

• Options
    Also hopefully it deals with some characters that have been missing in W3

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    KetBra wrote: »

Such as? It'd be nice, but unfortunately they've already mentioned some specific characters won't be appearing.

Edit: Although I'm having trouble finding the source, and to be honest I'm not sure which ones they called out

Jediabiwan on
  • Options
    Jediabiwan wrote: »

Such as? It'd be nice, but unfortunately they've already mentioned some specific characters won't be appearing.

Edit: Although I'm having trouble finding the source, and to be honest I'm not sure which ones they called out
    Saskia and Iorveth

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    are the DLCs meant to be played after finishing the main story? Or are they soemthing meant to be done in a re-play and completed before finishing the main story arc?

ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    mastman wrote: »
    are the DLCs meant to be played after finishing the main story? Or are they soemthing meant to be done in a re-play and completed before finishing the main story arc?

They're their own thing. You can play them whenever.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Hearts of Stone could be played whenever, but I kind of feel like you should play it before you finish the main game.

Blood and Wine sounds like it's meant to be post-game.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Dashui wrote: »

They're their own thing. You can play them whenever.

If it weren't so upper-level in terms of content, I'd say it's intended to be started upon reaching Oxenfurt, except you obviously can't do that because you'll be like level 7 and not 30 (or whatever). But it definitely makes that eastern part of the map feel way more relevant and lived in.

• Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    I got the season pass and if so far it's more of the same I'm very happy. The depth and solid conviction in the main and even the side quests is excellent.

Just got to velen so yeah a couple of things to keep me busy.

• Options
    Jediabiwan wrote: »

Saskia and Iorveth

Yeah that's what I thought. I think it would have been nice to see Iorveth, but I chose Roche anyways so it's not a huge loss.

• Options
    Quick question is it essential to grab all the yellow quests before I progress the story as it will cancel them later on?

Anyfool proof method that will make sure I can complete all without to much hassle would be appreciated.

• Options
    I turned the difficulty down for the first Hearts of Stone boss
    fuck that frog

ByalIX8.png
  • Options
    EnclaveofGnomesEnclaveofGnomes Registered User regular
    fuck that frog

I had to rely solely on Igni's flamethrower improvement to take that one down...I have no idea how you'd go about it any other way.

• Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    I think I bombed the shit out of that boss; for massive damage.

Alegis on
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    fuck that frog

That one didn't give me as much trouble (also alchemy/heavy bombs build), but
    the Undertaker
    or whatever the name of that boss was, kicked my ass up and down the area we fought.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    I like to think 'The Undertaker' is actually Death incarnate.

So, Death was hard, because Death IS hard.

• Options
    think I've crashed more than 20 times during this fucking wedding alone, this expansion is garbage quality

ByalIX8.png
  • Options
    think I've crashed more than 20 times during this fucking wedding alone, this expansion is garbage quality

Do you have an Nvidia card? The expansion has had some issues with the Shield service, even (especially) if you don't have a Shield. Turn off the service and that may help. It did for me anyway.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    I do, I'll check it out. thanks.

edit: in preferences, just unclicking the box under SHIELD for "Allow this PC to stream games to SHIELD devices"

does that turn it off?

I did that, didn't help, still crashing. can't finish wedding

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
  • Options
    No. Whether you're on Win 7, 8, or 10, the easiest way to get there is to click on the windows search (or Cortana in 10) and type "Services."
    Arrange the list by name.
    Find "NVIDIA Streamer Service" and double-click it.
    Change the startup type to Disabled.
    Reboot.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Getting more into the 3, I really like this combat system. Much improved from 2.

But god damn this Xbox One performance. I'd rather have the game look like shit than be almost constantly under 30 frames and have the worst pop-in on a console I have ever seen.

Is there a reason I shouldn't root for and help the Nilfgaardians? Despite their horrid disdane of beards, I find I like them better than any lord or religion from the North.

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Getting more into the 3, I really like this combat system. Much improved from 2.

But god damn this Xbox One performance. I'd rather have the game look like shit than be almost constantly under 30 frames and have the worst pop-in on a console I have ever seen.

Is there a reason I shouldn't root for and help the Nilfgaardians? Despite their horrid disdane of beards, I find I like them better than any lord or religion from the North.

That is a valid way to play the game, though you might want to know Geralt's personal history with the emperor. (Book spoilers)
    Emhyr is Ciri's biological father. He once attempted to kidnap her and force her to wed him because of the prophecies that surround her. Basically he's a messed-up fucker... but then, so is Radovid. You can understand why Geralt would have serious reservations about Emhyr when Ciri is involved, but you can play things out a few different ways when it comes to the geopolitics involved.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

That is a valid way to play the game, though you might want to know Geralt's personal history with the emperor. (Book spoilers)
    Emhyr is Ciri's biological father. He once attempted to kidnap her and force her to wed him because of the prophecies that surround her. Basically he's a messed-up fucker... but then, so is Radovid. You can understand why Geralt would have serious reservations about Emhyr when Ciri is involved, but you can play things out a few different ways when it comes to the geopolitics involved.

The only problem is that CDPR has gone to such lengths to whitewash references to the novels(especially compared to Witcher 1) that the two incarnations are almost irreconcilable. Hell, Nilfgaard doesn't even feel like antagonists in this game at all, compared to their portrayal in the novels - and especially compared to the northern kings.

Yeah they want to conquer the north... but there isn't anyone up here that gives you a whole lot of reasons to care.

I feel like this has to do with CDPR deciding to go on their own, disconnected direction with the story after what the author of the novels said about the games, but that's tangential.

• Options
    They allude to it well enough in the game, but I think it's more that The Witcher 3 is largely a personal story. There is end of the world bullshit happening, but the story is very much about Ciri becoming an adult and Geralt reconnecting with her.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    disabling all the Post Processing options was what finally allowed me to get through the wedding scene without crashing in hearts of stone

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    I was having some crashing issues myself after the Hearts of Stone patch (and I haven't even started the Hearts content yet), but I seem to have fixed them by disabling the in-game overlay in GoG. Apparently it got stealth-activated at some point. That also allowed me to run the game from my Steam client again, which I prefer for screenshotting purposes.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    So I played 7 hours or so perfectly fine. But now my keyboard controls suddenly stop responding for a few seconds at a time randomly. Very frustrating. Any known issues/solutions?

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    My favorite part of
    Donnicton wrote: »

The only problem is that CDPR has gone to such lengths to whitewash references to the novels(especially compared to Witcher 1) that the two incarnations are almost irreconcilable. Hell, Nilfgaard doesn't even feel like antagonists in this game at all, compared to their portrayal in the novels - and especially compared to the northern kings.

Yeah they want to conquer the north... but there isn't anyone up here that gives you a whole lot of reasons to care.

I feel like this has to do with CDPR deciding to go on their own, disconnected direction with the story after what the author of the novels said about the games, but that's tangential.

If you wander around the world, there is plenty of evidence that the Nilfgaardians are scum. The major difference between The Witcher 3 and earlier games/books is Radovid. He changed the Northern kingdoms from poorly managed feudal states - which sucked even when ruled by good intentioned rulers - to an aggressively expansive fascist state that is just gearing up for multiple genocides.

I thought it was a good storytelling device that twisted the status quo in a believable way. It definitely sets up the series of hard choices at the end (should you even decide to play politics) in a better way than the standard good vs. evil faction choices you get in RPGs. I especially liked that the two "best" choices in terms of geopolitics involved deep personal sacrifice.

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    the thing you learn about in the witcher series is that people are assholes, and aside from very very rare exceptions, assholes in power have a massive increase in the amount of suffering they cause.

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    I really like how the quests are done in this. Many times I'm finding that what seems as a easy quest becomes less clear cut than would first appear.

The dynamic of two sides of a story is very well done.

Also
    The crones and killing the evil spirit. I am not sure if it was the right thing but I released the spirit into the horse, I considered it the lesser of two evils but I may be wrong.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    I really like how the quests are done in this. Many times I'm finding that what seems as a easy quest becomes less clear cut than would first appear.

Also
    The crones and killing the evil spirit. I am not sure if it was the right thing but I released the spirit into the horse, I considered it the lesser of two evils but I may be wrong.

No choice in that part is perfect but
    you can see one of the results of your choice later in Novogrod.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    edited January 2016

Also

Just in case, Bloody Baron end quest spoilers here.
    Yeah, I kinda did the same thing. Trick is I was doing my best to save everyone else, but didn't give half a shit about the Baron. He was a drunken broken leader of what's basically a street gang, and he was the BEST part of his little shit squad. I wanted to get his things in order and then...
    6f01940c3de7e67c035774b702a455d6.jpg
    Turns out the fat asshole saved me the trouble, plus I can now kill his men with impunity whenever I see them causing problems.
    I'm curious to see what Black Beauty (which is literally the horse's name when you free her, noticed that) does later on. Part of me really hated the village mantra of 'we're willing to give up our privacy and freedom and an occasional child if it means we have one up on the rest of this godforsaken swamp', so I didn't weep for them that much. She seemed like someone who wanted to be feared and left alone rather than the Crones treating the humans around them as cattle, and part of me dug her 'nature is nature, fuck off if you don't like it' attitude.

Quiotu on
    wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    GatorGator An alligator in Scotland Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Quiotu wrote: »

Also

Yeah, I kinda did the same thing. Trick is I was doing my best to save everyone else, but didn't give half a shit about the Baron. He was a drunken broken leader of what's basically a street gang, and he was the BEST part of his little shit squad. I wanted to get his things in order and then...
    Turns out the fat asshole saved me the trouble, plus I can now kill his men with impunity whenever I see them causing problems.
    I'm curious to see what Black Beauty (which is literally the horse's name when you free her, noticed that) does later on. Part of me really hated the village mantra of 'we're willing to give up our privacy and freedom and an occasional child if it means we have one up on the rest of this godforsaken swamp', so I didn't weep for them that much. She seemed like someone who wanted to be feared and left alone rather than the Crones treating the humans around them as cattle, and part of me dug her 'nature is nature, fuck off if you don't like it' attitude.

The thing is (MASSIVE ending spoilers here)
    If you kill Black Beauty, the kids will die - but eventually so will their killers, the hags, thanks to the main story. If you let Black Beauty live, she'll be free to terrorize the countryside for a very, very long time

Gator on
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Gator wrote: »

Also

If you kill Black Beauty, the kids will die - but eventually so will their killers, the hags, thanks to the main story. If you let Black Beauty live, she'll be free to terrorize the countryside for a very, very long time

... Or until someone pays Geralt to deal with her.

#justwitcherthings

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    I wish the outcome of "Black Beauty" played more into:

END GAME SPOILER
    The visit to the Solstice and Ciri's battle with the Crones.

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    And a big part of why the Nilfgardians seem less scummy in this game compared to the books is explained in the game itself: Emhyr doesn't have the financial support anymore for an all-out war, so they no longer have the resources to just kill everything in their way.

Also

Massive Ending spoilers
    Except for that one Crone... unless you really mess up with Ciri.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    Well just finished Bloody Baron
    Found his wife and picked the right doll so she transformed back before dying then when I came to get barons payment found him hanging at a tree, cinema unfolds by saving the kids and returning his wife while both good ends with him killing himself? I know he was a bastard of a man but a shame really.

Least I got his gwent card I suppose.

• Options
    GatorGator An alligator in Scotland Registered User regular
    Dizzy D wrote: »
    And a big part of why the Nilfgardians seem less scummy in this game compared to the books is explained in the game itself: Emhyr doesn't have the financial support anymore for an all-out war, so they no longer have the resources to just kill everything in their way.

Also

Massive Ending spoilers
    Except for that one Crone... unless you really mess up with Ciri.
    Not really; Weavess is killed by Ciri off-camera if Ciri survives the ending. You know that because Ciri's holding the amulet Weavess took from her when she got away

It's quite a nice detail that escapes from a lot of people who finished Witcher 3, myself included!

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I just finished all the Baron's missions. He said there would be money, but I wouldn't know because I repaired my sword and now I'm broke.

I'm always broke. Whatever money I scrape together goes into repairing my weapons and armor. Now I'm trying to find a boat to Skellige and I don't have money to pay the fee to see the King of Beggars area. How do you have money in this game?

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
This discussion has been closed.