As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MMOTCG: [Hex: Shards of Fate] Ladder System Incoming!

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Edit: didn't quote, but in response to question "what archetype is most like slivers?"

Shin'hare, Coyotle or necrotic. Shin'hare have more tribal synergy, coyotle buff the next creature in your deck (for synergistic buffing between creatures) and necrotic have the shift ability which passes abilities between creatures.

None are really slivers though. Shin'hare are almost more like thallids.

Thinking about it, green plants and dinos feels more like slivers to me in terms of buffing the more you play them.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    I do love the prophecy mechanic so much, maybe I'll do something with that.

As a side note, has anyone noticed that legendary inspire guy you get in PvE that

"Inspire - the next time a creature inspired by this card would take damage, ignore that damage" (or whatever)

doesn't work?

Or maybe I'm misusing him.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I do love the prophecy mechanic so much, maybe I'll do something with that.

As a side note, has anyone noticed that legendary inspire guy you get in PvE that

"Inspire - the next time a creature inspired by this card would take damage, ignore that damage" (or whatever)

doesn't work?

Or maybe I'm misusing him.

Are you finding the card he inspired?

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Hmm. I've never really noticed him working either. The Blue/White Human Gareth Kay? I should try replacing him.

38thDoE on steam
    ๐Ÿฆ€๐Ÿฆ‘๐Ÿฆ€๐Ÿฆ‘๐Ÿฆ€๐Ÿฆ‘๐Ÿฆ€๐Ÿฆ‘๐Ÿฆ€๐Ÿฆ‘๐Ÿฆ€๐Ÿฆ‘๐Ÿฆ€

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Hmm. I've never really noticed him working either. The Blue/White Human Gareth Kay? I should try replacing him.

Yeah, that's him

I have certainly seen him wiggle when I put down a dude that costs as much or more than him, but that creature totally takes damage later on.

edit - I mean, considering what they've finally accomplished here with PvE, I'm not upset, bugs happen, just wanted to be sure I wasn't crazy.

Neurotika on
  • Options
    Maybe it's bugged. Or maybe it's worded wrong - like, it only works for "this turn" but it doesn't say that?

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    Can anyone help me with beating the Kilapede/Pirhana/Rose Knight Tomb/worms with Human or venin cleric?

Sure. These strategies are for the Human cleric and use commons or uncommons.

Killipede
    Play the following cards to remove the Killipedes: Pride's Fall, Meek, Repel. Yes, all three!
    Play guys with swiftstrike like Quick Strider or Royal Diplomat (socketed appropriately) to deal with the other ground insects.

Piranha
    Stinging Ambush, swiftstrike, and 3-defense troops. If you don't have a Stinging Ambush in your starting hand, mulligan.

Rose Knight Tomb
    Righteous Paladin, Blinding Light. If you're playing Ruby too, Eye of Lixil will become immune to Ruby sources of damage!

Wormoids
    24 Gnomes per trip is the optimum number, since it triggers your 100-card deck bonuses.

Use aggressive Ruby cards, preferably with Rage or Inspire. Royal Cutblood is wonderful here. Once you get a decent board presence stop playing cards to keep too many Wormoids from appearing.

In terms of talent points, Affinity: Cleric and The Righteous Path are musts. Giving your Clerics lifedrain and everything Steadfast is amazing!

• Options
    edited February 2016
    So my new favorite piece of equipment is AMAZING. You can start with a 2/3 Lifedrain in play!

Ethereal Coated Boots: Your Ethereal Healers have, "When you gain health, there's a 5% chance to put this from your deck, hand, or crypt into play."

EtherealHealer.jpg

Edit: Picture is wrong somehow. They're actually 2/3.

gjaustin on
  • Options
    Gareth Kay is a known bug.

• Options
    Gareth Kay is a known bug.

Ok, cool, thanks

• Options
    So my new favorite piece of equipment is AMAZING. You can start with a 2/3 Lifedrain in play!

Ethereal Coated Boots: Your Ethereal Healers have, "When you gain health, there's a 5% chance to put this from your deck, hand, or crypt into play."

EtherealHealer.jpg

I just got that equipment and was wondering what sort of deck to build around it. I don't think I have a play set of the healers yet though

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Can anyone help me with beating the Kilapede/Pirhana/Rose Knight Tomb/worms with Human or venin cleric?

Sure. These strategies are for the Human cleric and use commons or uncommons.

Killipede
    Play the following cards to remove the Killipedes: Pride's Fall, Meek, Repel. Yes, all three!
    Play guys with swiftstrike like Quick Strider or Royal Diplomat (socketed appropriately) to deal with the other ground insects.

Piranha
    Stinging Ambush, swiftstrike, and 3-defense troops. If you don't have a Stinging Ambush in your starting hand, mulligan.

Rose Knight Tomb
    Righteous Paladin, Blinding Light. If you're playing Ruby too, Eye of Lixil will become immune to Ruby sources of damage!

Wormoids
    24 Gnomes per trip is the optimum number, since it triggers your 100-card deck bonuses.

Use aggressive Ruby cards, preferably with Rage or Inspire. Royal Cutblood is wonderful here. Once you get a decent board presence stop playing cards to keep too many Wormoids from appearing.

In terms of talent points, Affinity: Cleric and The Righteous Path are musts. Giving your Clerics lifedrain and everything Steadfast is amazing!

Thanks! At least I know what cards get when I grind up the money!

38thDoE on steam

• Options

EtherealHealer.jpg

I just got that equipment and was wondering what sort of deck to build around it. I don't think I have a play set of the healers yet though

Cleric with Healing Aura maximizes the amount of health gain triggers to pull them out. And ways to buff them ensure that when they're recurring they get stronger and stronger.

And Righteous Paladins are an obvious inclusion.

• Options
    Righteous Paladins are awesome! I thought I was going to win vs Wormoid queen when I had one in my starting hand with healing auras out but nope she had heat wave.

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    I've been abusing with great abandon some shoes that have the lifedrain shift guys "If they deal damage, revert this card." So, especially since the AI doesn't take this into account, I've had games with like 6 guys all with lifedrain.

Further, a very unexpected nice interaction between them, and a Grim Mandate which I just got. Grim Mandate says, "if a necrotic dies and has >0 defense, bring it back into play with -1/-1". Well, how the effect resolves is, lifedrain guy (Grimsoul Feeder) dies to damage (from battle), but since he did damage, Grim Mandate first brings him back with -1/-1, then the shoes kick in and he gets reverted back to his original 2/2 self with the shift. Kinda crazy.

Also, apparently the AI doesn't give 2 cents about invulnerability. I don't know how many times the AI has just run troops into either my Eye of Lixil or Lixil herself (while invulnerable) for no apparent gain (and sometimes very definite loss).

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    Righteous Paladins are awesome! I thought I was going to win vs Wormoid queen when I had one in my starting hand with healing auras out but nope she had heat wave.

Do you have the equipment for them? It's a Trinket. "Your Righteous Paladins have 'When this is dealt damage, gain health equal to the damage dealt.'"

It's amazing!

• Options
    I do have that one! The only problem is every deck I go up against has a ton of removal or polymorph dingler or mass polymorph dingler. Solitary exile, repel, its annoying. I need my divine alter to show up.

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    Does anyone have a strategy for the piranhas with a wild ruby deck? :P I feel like I'm never gonna beat that one.

• Options
    Heat wave?

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    Does anyone have a strategy for the piranhas with a wild ruby deck? :P I feel like I'm never gonna beat that one.

ramp + Staggering Blast

Lots of the cheap swiftstrike guys help too

• Options
    I may have to find me some Staggering Blasts. I might have 1 :P I have yet to see a Heat Wave at all (even at AH), other than the one Killapede map where it just gave them to me (literally the only reason I won that)

• Options
    For a lot of the commons (and even some uncommons), asking me nicely is one of the more efficient ways to get them :)

• Options
    Yeah, if you can concisely request commons I'm glad to send them out. It's just a bear to send, like, all commons of a color because the system is slow.

I'm Lonenut in game, so feel free to add me.

• Options
    How do you add friends? I've been looking for this and I can't seem to find it anywhere :D I just started with the PvE patch so I'm fairly new to the game. I'm WarlockSoL on there.

• Options
    Left side of the chat window, there's a friends tab, at the bottom of that there's add friend

• Options
    Left side of the chat window, there's a friends tab, at the bottom of that there's add friend

Oh, I swear I looked there but I must have missed it.

• Options
    VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    I feel like I've hit a wall with the final boss of devonshire as an Orc warrior, just not able to stabilize well enough with red or black decks due to so much hand disruption and lack of lifedrain which feels like the ability that you desperately need later in the game when you're constantly burning and facing high life total bosses. Orc warrior Battle ability is starting to feel like one of the worst late game abilities too, as it just doesn't scale past early fights, 4 damage every 4 charges to a single target is just terrible and that's with two skill points. The Dwarf's at least make Battle useful where you are effectively cutting off mana to them for a turn.

Anyone beaten devonshire boss with an orc warrior that has some tips, I fought him about 8 times last night, best I did was him down to about 24 hp before all I had in hand was 5 toxin cards and an empty board.

Vechloran.png
  • Options
    I stalled out on him with dwarf cleric. I'm sure there's a good way through, but I made a new character instead for now because I wanted to try the other classes instead. I figure I might also spot new synergies or get cards that make it clear to me.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    @SniperGuy I have created a google form for the OP so we can track usernames:

http://goo.gl/forms/REOwHHhtmu

https://goo.gl/1Jva2G

The first link is an entry form so people can enter their info. The second link is a way to view the results. This way we can't have accidental edits of other people's entries.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Added that to the op!

Also, there's a free constructed tournament happening in about an hour and a half from this post. 5PM MST. Called "FiveShards-Weekly"

Also another one tomorrow at 8AM PST, I think? It's 9AM MST. Single elimination.

I'm gonna go for it, since I have this fancy spider deck now! Even made one of the Reeses full art because it's neat looking. Also, free!

• Options
    I think they fixed Phenteo's gift being awarded by quests, but my old one that I missed is still missing. I've gotten two but can only use one. Guess I need a third vennin. Ugh.

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    Ugh, I got some of my Wormoid Hydras and my Awaken. But neither of my Phenteo's Gifts :(

• Options
    Its too bad because its insanely good.

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    Got top 16 in that tournament tonight with this deck:
    I'm currently running:

4x The Ancestors' Chosen
    4x Arcane Focus
    4x Exarch of the Egg
    4x Countermagic
    4x Kill
    3x Phenteo the Brood Priest
    2x Arachnaphobia
    1x Monsuun
    3x Azurfate Sorceress
    3x Extinction
    2x Reese
    5x Brood Baron
    4x Zin'Xith Silk
    4x Shard of Cunning

Reserves:
    2x Curse of Oblivion
    2x Inquisition
    1x Verdict of the Ancient Kings
    2x Time Ripple
    4x Vampire Princess
    2x Xentoth's Inquisitor
    2x Xartaxis, Bishop of the Azure Fang

I've had quite a bit of success, having copied it mostly from hexmeta, but I have no idea how to sideboard this thing. I get stomped by Winter Moon decks and stuff with crocosaurs pretty regularly. Winter Moon just seems to have way more counters than I have any chance of matching . Any tips for how to do reserves or changes to the deck? If I had it available, would the Vampire King be bad as it isn't as synergistic? Any ideas?

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    If it's mainly Crocs that give you trouble then Arcane Zephyr is good reserves tech.

Looking at your deck I'd prolly run Fifth Book of D'harsis to fish out some Terrorantula eggs from your opponents deck.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Alright. Since you're so pumped for it, I'm going to try to get in on the tournament today. The trick is that I don't really have any way to build a tier 1 deck for this meta, since I'm mostly invested in set 1, with a tad in 2 and almost nothing in 3. Time to find a deck.

Things I would like to trade for:

3 Arborean rootfather
    3 Balthazar
    3 Crocosaur
    1 Kindling Skarn
    2 Ragefire
    3 Thunderfield Elder
    4 Sunsoul phoenix
    3 Eternal Sage
    3 Periwinkle

Some of these are major rocks, but none of them are super cheap or I'd have just picked them up. If anyone wants to trade any of them, hit me up.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    Welp. Went in with a half-assed deck. Missed lethal on my first game and then lost out.

Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Also get gud.

• Options
    I got rocked this morning first game by a dwarf bots deck. Those cloud things and Reese are awful.

I don't like how I feel I don't have any way to improve other than just playing. And then I'm not sure when I'm making mistakes. There aren't a ton of resources of people discussing how to use your reserves and what the T1 decks are right now that I can find. I can find decklists, but no discussion about them. Probably just a playerbase problem but it's frustrating not knowing how to improve.

• Options
    PvE actually trains some bad habits for PvP. Rule number one: Read your cards. I completely forgot that Burn is 2 damage normally, not 3 as I always have it equipped for.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    I reinstalled a couple days ago to try out the PvE thing. After doing that, the next two times I loaded up the client, it had to spend 10+ minutes patching. Do they seriously patch that much that often?