As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Happy Rex Manning [chat]!

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    Fursuits scare the shit out of me.

They could be hiding anything in there. Even a fursuit

Pulling off a fur fox head to reveal a fur rabbit underneath is the stuff of nightmares.

Seriously though, like I just don't get it. And that's fine, because I'm not lobbying congress to not allow furries healthcare rights or preventing them from getting married. Hell I don't even know a Furry. I'm all for them doing what they do if it makes them happy, but I'll die not understanding it any more than my grandfather never understood Rock and Roll or video games.

i can understand insofar as people often are able to tap into different parts of themselves or qualities that they don't think they possess when in costume

• Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    I am kind of shocked that the Fbi can't crack an iPhone themselves.

Were all those movies about hacking... wrong?!

Yes

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

Yes

but all those shiny command centres

have they tried hacking the mainframe?

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    I have run out of tissues. Crap.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

Yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46qKHq7REI4

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    I thought police departments had tools to get past lock screens of phones.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    BEAST! wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »

Yesterday I tried to feed the kitties and Swarley refused to eat and just wandered around the apartment crying for Beasto until I had to throw his food out
    he's also a huge fan of a) sitting in front of the mirror yelling at his reflection and b) hiding in the bathroom yelling until the other cat comes to investigate to see if he's dying and NOPE GONNA ATTACK YOU FROM THE DARK BITCH

your cats are deranged

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    so help me Tim Cook you're my only hope?

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular

Yes

Don't they have some hip savant 20 something for that?

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

Yes

what's hilarious is that this has

1) solidified apple's security

2) called into question the extent of the fbi's capabilities

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »

Pulling off a fur fox head to reveal a fur rabbit underneath is the stuff of nightmares.

Seriously though, like I just don't get it. And that's fine, because I'm not lobbying congress to not allow furries healthcare rights or preventing them from getting married. Hell I don't even know a Furry. I'm all for them doing what they do if it makes them happy, but I'll die not understanding it any more than my grandfather never understood Rock and Roll or video games.

i can understand insofar as people often are able to tap into different parts of themselves or qualities that they don't think they possess when in costume

Right, I bet for a lot of people it's more about accessing a different identity/creating a social world entirely disconnected to one's daily experience as it is about finding furriness or tails attractive.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

Sure

get a court order to force you to put in the code

• Options
    BEAST! wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »

Yesterday I tried to feed the kitties and Swarley refused to eat and just wandered around the apartment crying for Beasto until I had to throw his food out
    he's also a huge fan of a) sitting in front of the mirror yelling at his reflection and b) hiding in the bathroom yelling until the other cat comes to investigate to see if he's dying and NOPE GONNA ATTACK YOU FROM THE DARK BITCH

your cats are deranged

harley does this thing where she'll fluff out her tail so it's like a fucking raccoon and then run around growling and bouncing off the walls

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Well I guess I feel a bit better now about not forcing my mom to change all her passwords when she lost her iphone. Even though it's very likely that iphone would have just been wiped and sold.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular

the fbi doesn't have a gibson is why

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    my cousin just posted a link to an article about how a bunch of idiot beachgoers killed a tiny Franciscana dolphin that had beached, because they kept passing it around in a giant crowd for selfies

and dolphins, shockingly, need to be in the water to survive

this makes me really angry

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    wow, people use their real addresses in domain name registration. what a world. what a creepy world.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    look I've read books about hackers, all the FBI needs is a box of captain crunch and they're set

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular

Mostly what they're worried about is that too many attempts to brute force it will reset the phone.

The 5C has a hypothetical security vulnerability where it's possible to replace the phone's firmware with another, signed, firmware even though it's locked (not possible on newer models).

The restriction on how many attempts you get to unlock it, and the restriction on how fast you can enter those attempts, are built into the firmware (in newer phones this is built into the hardware and can't be circumvented in this way).

So what the FBI want apple to do is replace the firmware on that phone only with another which, while not unlocking it, makes it practical to brute force it into unlocking without the risk of the phone deleting all its data. It has to be apple that does it because only they can sign the firmware such that there phone will accept it.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    So I guess I need to see a trauma therapist or something. Third time I've had macabre nightmares about what happened and so got no sleep. Working full time and taking two hard courses, I can't manage my life without sleep.

Sucks.

• Options
    Organichu wrote: »
    So I guess I need to see a trauma therapist or something. Third time I've had macabre nightmares about what happened and so got no sleep. Working full time and taking two hard courses, I can't manage my life without sleep.

Sucks.

Sorry to hear that bruh. You should definitely consider a therapist if you think this is affecting your life.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I swear the FBI is just being lazy.

Crack phone open.

Extract hard drive.

Copy the raw data.

Load a copy up in a VM and when it locks, load a new copy.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

"I don't have anything against furries, I just don't want my daughter marrying one."

I didn't say that. My hypothetical kid can do whatever the hell they want (aside from Murder or heavy unstable drug use) and I'd stand behind them.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »

Right, I bet for a lot of people it's more about accessing a different identity/creating a social world entirely disconnected to one's daily experience as it is about finding furriness or tails attractive.

That actually makes a lot of sense. I can get behind that.

• Options
    japan wrote: »

Mostly what they're worried about is that too many attempts to brute force it will reset the phone.

The 5C has a hypothetical security vulnerability where it's possible to replace the phone's firmware with another, signed, firmware even though it's locked (not possible on newer models).

The restriction on how many attempts you get to unlock it, and the restriction on how fast you can enter those attempts, are built into the firmware (in newer phones this is built into the hardware and can't be circumvented in this way).

So what the FBI want apple to do is replace the firmware on that phone only with another which, while not unlocking it, makes it practical to brute force it into unlocking without the risk of the phone deleting all its data. It has to be apple that does it because only they can sign the firmware such that there phone will accept it.

right

but i still can't see how they can be compelled to essentially develop firmware through a court order

is well established you can't compel people to work against their will

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »

Crack phone open.

Extract hard drive.

Copy the raw data.

It's those pentalobe screws man, even the FBI is like "Fuck this, we're not paying $20 for a screwdriver."

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    i think Ex Machina was my favorite movie this year

the ending was perfect and it really cemented the rise of both Oscar Issac and Bill Weasley.

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    grump grump 6 weeks of illness has p much completely soured my normally sunny disposition this is the worst why wont it just end grump grump grump

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    I could go for a cheeseburger

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »

Crack phone open.

Extract hard drive.

Copy the raw data.

The encryption keys are tied to the hardware. Brute forcing the encryption is considerably less practical than brute forcing the firmware into yielding access to the encrypted data.

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular

So, as a frogrammer myself, here's the thing about hacking.

The more disheveled your clothes are and the cooler looking your tower, the better a hacker you are. Ideally you have some kind of graphic tee, a backwards baseball hat, baggy jean shorts, and flip flops (with or without socks). Your computer is sleek and black with bright highlights, covered in blue LEDs, with its dozen fans roaring like a jet engine and liquid cooling pipes running in and out of the machine.

FBI guys all wear suits or at least business casual, shower daily, and have a boring monochrome Dell box. Therefore they can't be good hackers.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular

right

but i still can't see how they can be compelled to essentially develop firmware through a court order

*shouts terrorism over and over again*

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »

Sucks.

:bro:

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

Not the new Apple encryption.

Hue hue hue fuck off FBI.

• Options
    P10 wrote: »

right

*shouts terrorism over and over again*

yes that's about all that they can do

• Options
    What's funny is that the CIA could probably (and has probably) busted an iPhone before.

BUT if the CIA got that data and handed it to the FBI, the FBI would have to show in court how they got said data.

Which in the end wouldn't matter because for all of snowden's leaked documents nothing will ever be done to change the CIA.

So yeah, the Feds should just get the CIA to crack it. They probably already have.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    i was a part of a big meeting where i flubbed my introduction and then said nothing else
    *dies*

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    a
    anyone see anything concerning about when i go to get insurance quotes it autopopulates possible cars for me

one is my current one

and one is a random ass 2011 nissan sentra

think it is the one other person in the country with my first and last name?

my credit report has no weird accounts or anything sinister

I can't recall if car registrations are public info like home ownership is, but if so it's prob just someone else with your name

500 deductible or $1000, the eternal question

surprisingly geico has the lowest insurance so far. only about $200 more per 6 months (i have basic liability only on my shitbox) if i go with 500 deductible

This discussion has been closed.