As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Happy Rex Manning [chat]!

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    tumblr_nbuhul0J5s1rp0nneo1_r2_500.png

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    Instead of buying a dark grey suit my last suit was more of a casual medium grey that's summer-friendly

Instead of navy the next suit I buy will be a cheerful and intense blue, also summer-friendly

The police can't stop me

bright blue suit

camel wingtips

white shirt

navy tie

raybans

undercut

mein gott desc can i stand next to you so i look cool by association

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    Cinders wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    ...and scottish people are quite bigoted about the english! You know I have to remind them of the incredible english sophistication, tolerance and sense of humor! Which they need to get over their impotence and pointlessness.

Sounds legit.

jokes on you

i'm mostly English!

I thought you were mostly Polish

50% english 25% scottish 25% polish

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    I very very much doubt that.

try me.

*places can of IRN BRU on the table between us*

I'm pretty decidedly English and I like irn bru

well, decidedly half english

deviant

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    You build them city apartments and suddenly you have a nightmare on you hands of demand outstripping supply, astronomical cost, and the homeless subletting their free homes due to market pressure....

city apartments don't work, but not really for this reason

we have terms like the projects, the councils, etc. for the simple reason that if you're building city apartments to segregate the homeless because homeless people are unpleasant to be around for everyone else, then there's no real will to make said apartments actually appealing to live in. instead they become guinea pigs for intelligentsia fashions du jour, like brutalism or modernism

this is not even taking into account the greater, rather than lesser, need for state support to substitute for community support in the typically chaotic lifestyles of the very low-income

you're changing the parameters of the discussion at the point that you bring in "there's no real will." Our discussion was 'king-for-a-day' out of necessity.

fair. I do point out that in discussions that presume king-for-a-day-ity, it's nonetheless still very common for the list of suggested features for low-cost housing to expand to cover a great number of middle-class anxieties (it must be GREEN! it must be SUSTAINABLE! it must be WALKABLE! it must be built from RECYCLED MATERIALS!) rather than, say, creature comforts, maintainability at low cost, or sheer quantity

the entirely expected result is a dynamic where the political desire to do something is satiated by politicians building one or two blocks of low-cost housing, in whatever contemporary fashion, and ignoring the issue thereafter. this is, in a sense, what we are revealed to truly desire

sure, good note, worth trying to avoid such things; I disagree with your last sentence. Do you have any thoughts on how you might provide large quantities of low-cost housing with low-cost maintainability and creature comforts, given large amounts of tax revenue to play with?

I would avoid building low-cost housing; I would seek neighbourhood planning with the intention to publicly house most of the lower third, a majority of the middle third in housing that they find desirable, and a minority slice of the upper third in houses considered competitive with private housing. I do not think there is any other way to maintain the political consensus or distribute the low-income sufficiently widely so that their neighbourhood impacts are not concentrated.

Cost suppression is largely a matter of land reform - density and prefabrication techniques do matter, but across East Asia, the largest gains mostly entailed expropriation. One sensible way to control its political impact is to legislatively limit due compensation to the prevailing price at some fixed date, on the intuitive argument that further appreciation generated by state investment is not earned by the landowner and is therefore not really owed to them. This does conflict straightforwardly with Fifth Amendment jurisprudence.

I'd build neighbourhoods very densely; in that way, housing value can be boosted through planning control over public transport and schools. School added value should be oriented toward quantity; niche top/bottom-5% cases can go voucher/fund themselves - the schools that parents will buy housing to get their kid into should be those which churn out thousand-strong cohorts.

Legacy neighbourhoods should be aggressively razed. Their locations are often valuable, and their prevailing prices often cheap compared to what could be built. Claims to historic value should be rationed and limited to a fixed cap (i.e., listing a building should not require merely justifying its artistic or historical merit, but justifying why one would delist an existing listed building).

Architecturally: slums are an everpresent risk. let's quote.
    1. Natural Surveillance – A design concept directed primarily at keeping intruders easily observable. Promoted by features that maximize visibility of people, parking areas and building entrances: doors and windows that look out on to streets and parking areas; pedestrian-friendly sidewalks and streets; front porches; adequate nighttime lighting.

2. Territorial Reinforcement – Physical design can create or extend a sphere of influence. Users then develop a sense of territorial control while potential offenders, perceiving this control, are discouraged. Promoted by features that define property lines and distinguish private spaces from public spaces using landscape plantings, pavement designs, gateway treatments, and “CPTED” fences.

3. Natural Access Control – A design concept directed primarily at decreasing crime opportunity by denying access to crime targets and creating in offenders a perception of risk. Gained by designing streets, sidewalks, building entrances and neighborhood gateways to clearly indicate public routes and discouraging access to private areas with structural elements.

4. Target Hardening – Accomplished by features that prohibit entry or access: window locks, dead bolts for doors, interior door hinges.

sight lines matter. This is probably easier to achieve in a warm climate than a temperate one.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I am 75% Irish and 25% Northern Irish. 100% County Derry.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    zug zug

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    credeiki wrote: »
    Mr. Puppies

hey stacey i looked for your name in the pax east dinner thread

i must be going blind because i didn't see it

How dressy is the dinner, by the way? Suits?

I think the general rule is "look as nice as you reasonably can"

Most guys will be in jackets and ties and the most awesome wear vests.

I will wear a dress

It will be tighter on me than I would like

oh hush

shut up i'm making accurate predictions

prediction #2

I will eat some sort of seafood and/or drink too much and/or a combination of the two that will make me vomit all over Boston

Ah yes the true Boston experience

Sleep on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »
    Instead of buying a dark grey suit my last suit was more of a casual medium grey that's summer-friendly

Instead of navy the next suit I buy will be a cheerful and intense blue, also summer-friendly

The police can't stop me

wait like electric blue?!

The police can't stop me

What color do you mean by intense blue?

My suit is maybe medium grey? Lighter than charcoal, anyway. All-seasons appropriate. I love my suit (and recommend the Boston-based 9tailors as a company to get a custom suit if you find yourself wanting one.)

I don't know exactly what you call it -- it's a sort of saturated electric blue

It was the hot thing of the moment like two years ago but I think lively colors are sticking around

21389ac04755744ba42eac5957ee934a.jpg

this sort of thing? That's a beautiful color. (Although that guy's singlasses are obnoxious).

Yeah, maybe a bit lighter than this

Maybe even in ... Linen?

*lifts a mimosa to all the bankers and salesmen on the east coast in navy suits and overcoats*

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular

FUCK DA PO LICE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvOlaxIbH0o

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
    Zampanov wrote: »

FUCK DA PO LICE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvOlaxIbH0o

I watched John Mulaney's new stand up video on Netflix while I worked out last night.

This was a bad idea because I laughed so hard I lost my breath and fell off the treadmill.

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
  • Options
    Gooey wrote: »

The police can't stop me

bright blue suit

camel wingtips

white shirt

navy tie

raybans

undercut

Okay but you have to pay me $1 for every ten minutes you stand next to me

Actually speaking of Ray Bans I am looking for sunglasses beyond my $5 target aviators

Should I buy Ray bans chat

I see them a lot but it seems kind of dumb how their logo is on the lens

Hmm aviators vs wayfarers

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Look just because I curse people's dicks doesn't make me responsible for baby dolphins dying.

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    @Elldren yeah Gim nailed it. For 2 years in the WWF, King was feuding with Hart and King was the heel during that, plus ge was a heel on commentarg for a long time.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Look just because I curse people's dicks doesn't make me responsible for baby dolphins dying.

counterpoint: dolphin's noses kind of looks like a dick

be careful what you wish for

monkey's paw dick, curse of the magi, etc

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

The police can't stop me

bright blue suit

camel wingtips

white shirt

navy tie

raybans

undercut

Actually speaking of Ray Bans I am looking for sunglasses beyond my $5 target aviators

the liklihood that your glasses will be immediately and completely obliterated in a random freak accident rises

pretty much 1:1 with the price

• Options
    Everyone in a high-rise likes elevators; everyone especially likes elevators that do not regularly have addicts and drunks peeing in them. Social tolerance of bohemians evolves to match.

Taller ceilings mean drop ceilings; drop ceilings means that apartments can rearrange for attached bathrooms or whatnot as income allows.

The walkability problem posed by tower blocks is neatly resolved by void decks.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    YoshisummonsYoshisummons You have to let the dead vote, otherwise you'd just kill people you disagree with!Registered User regular
    You do it on porpoise.

Recycling jokes since 2014.

• Options
    aaaand that's it, I'm done spitballing.

I'm hungry. someone suggest a 1am snack

aRkpc.gif
  • Options

The police can't stop me

bright blue suit

camel wingtips

white shirt

navy tie

raybans

undercut

yo i got some tortoise new wayfarers and they are the bomb dot com

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Vanguard wrote: »

The police can't stop me

bright blue suit

camel wingtips

white shirt

navy tie

raybans

undercut

the liklihood that your glasses will be immediately and completely obliterated in a random freak accident rises

pretty much 1:1 with the price

True

I've had my target ones for like 4 years

They are getting loose and wobbly and bent tho

• Options
    i've actually had much better luck with expensive sunglasses lasting than cheap ones

cheap ones i dont care about so i never put them in a case or whatever

expensive ones get treated like they are irreplaceable

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    i think i am finally near the end of xcom 2

*weeps single tear*

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular

Soup

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Everyone I know who gets expensive glasses loses them or they get stolen.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

perculiar-pizza-10-strange-pizza-toppings.jpeg

pizza burger deluxe pizza

• Options

*weeps single tear*

Now to wait 5 years for X-COM 3.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    My eyes are weirdly extra blue today.

I'm not sure why.

• Options
    Sleep wrote: »

Soup

I do have wontons... or should I go with chicken noodles?

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    emnmnme wrote: »

*weeps single tear*

Now to wait 5 years for X-COM 3.

or replay xcom 2 endlessly, it's p good

• Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular

I'm not sure why.

Heavy water+ irradiated eyeholes QED

• Options

I'm not sure why.

Can I get a DemonStacey-eye-blue suit

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular

I'm not sure why.

White Walker

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    im stupid hungry. maybe i will make pizza this weekend.

i have a huge fuck off jar of yeast and 20 lubs of flour.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    I found a rare image of @Cinders in the wild

b949FAN.jpg

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options

I'm not sure why.

Your mutant abilities are activating. Keep an eye out for giant purple robots and bald men in wheelchairs.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I told myself this quarter that I really had to get myself off this Mon through Fri class schedule

Mon-fri again, but this time classes at 8 am every day. And then another class at 2pm.

/sad trombone

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    Seal wrote: »
    Microwaves emit radio waves at 2.4ghz, so it's a wifi jammer.

yeah, that's true, but unless your microwave is like literally in the line of sight between your wifi router/access point and your computer, it shouldn't be kicking you entirely offline

this would make me worried that the shielding inside the microwave isn't working very well

Yeah that is a leaky shield, and given that a microwave is a kilowatt transmitter... might want to get a new one, or at least not stand too close while it's on

I realize this is like 20 pages back, but microwave is non-ionizing phyphor no worries, you could bust open the door and stick your junk right next to it if you want.

Yeah I know that, but I was more thinking along the lines of microwaves emit a lot of power at frequencies designed to be maximally absorbed by water. If one leaked a significant amount and your body absorbed that in a relatively small area you could get burned - potentially without even knowing as AFAIK heat sensing is done at the skin but the heating would be done below

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    OH MY GOD HIS LITTLE MILK MOUSTACHE

http://i.imgur.com/e70yi72.webm

This discussion has been closed.