Options

The Origins of the [Chat] of Spanish Succession

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Being a different species has big biological implications, it's not just a social construct.

What if a species' biology happens to shift them towards tribalism and aggression relative to what we would expect in a human? We could end up seeing that species create a destructive horde culture, the behavior we see in stereotypical fantasy "evil" races like orcs and goblins. It'd be fair to argue that that's not evil, it's just someone following their nature and their biology, but that starts a deeper discussion of the nature of evil that D&D honestly isn't meant to get into. D&D is biased towards black and white morality, but it's not a requirement of the system, you could easily have peaceful orcs, or orcs that are only violent because they're misunderstood, or invert the normal relationship and have savage humans encroaching on the peaceful and cultured orc kingdom.

Even just looking at cultures, D&D tends to take things to an extreme, but that goes back into D&D's bias towards black and white morality that can easily be circumvented. Drow society really is evil, murder and racism and slavery are an accepted way of life for them. If you're a drow, you will almost certainly either be a racist murdering slaver, or strive to get the wealth and talent so you can become a racist murdering slaver. And again, this is not a requisite part of the system, someone could easily use drow mechanics without using the standard setting.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Take the stats of a shocker lizard and do this:

In the forest, there's a sudden flash. Upon further investigation, you come across a large rodent resting on its hind legs. Its fur is black and brown, though it's so dirty it could be brighter if you washed it. Its short muzzle is flanked by what looks like dark brown patches, where little sparks are emerging. Its tail is bent at awkward angles, as though repeatedly broken. It looks up at you.

"Pika?"

• Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    Being a different species has big biological implications, it's not just a social construct.

What if a species' biology happens to shift them towards tribalism and aggression relative to what we would expect in a human? We could end up seeing that species create a destructive horde culture, the behavior we see in stereotypical fantasy "evil" races like orcs and goblins. It'd be fair to argue that that's not evil, it's just someone following their nature and their biology, but that starts a deeper discussion of the nature of evil that D&D honestly isn't meant to get into. D&D is biased towards black and white morality, but it's not a requirement of the system, you could easily have peaceful orcs, or orcs that are only violent because they're misunderstood, or invert the normal relationship and have savage humans encroaching on the peaceful and cultured orc kingdom.

Even just looking at cultures, D&D tends to take things to an extreme, but that goes back into D&D's bias towards black and white morality that can easily be circumvented. Drow society really is evil, murder and racism and slavery are an accepted way of life for them. If you're a drow, you will almost certainly either be a racist murdering slaver, or strive to get the wealth and talent so you can become a racist murdering slaver. And again, this is not a requisite part of the system, someone could easily use drow mechanics without using the standard setting.

#NotAllBatarians

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Definitely working on a ShadowRun cosplay.....
    this is my life now

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    lets talk about how D&D's concept of alignments for species is deeply problematic

Yeah I pretty much ditch that fucking idea at the door.

Unless we're working in an instance where no the being you are interacting with is built of pure evil and clearly and unrelentingly a monster (like trollocs in wheel of time, or beholders or something like that), alignment to race is just not something I'm comfortable with.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I typically reflavor tome of battle classes to random things because ToB provides the best way to play moderate effort characters of flexible optimization level. That way, I can play what I want thematically without being gimped or overpowered.

I reflavor the other way less often, though one of my most favored concepts was a bowman that was mechanically just a sorcerer.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    I was perusing a dump of memes as I do and this happened

KfpAVIB.jpg

fuck

fuck

i am unraveling

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    keep it together hakkes

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    milski wrote: »
    lets talk about how D&D's concept of alignments for species is deeply problematic

My alignment is chaotic yeezy

Yeah I also don't make any of my characters declare an alignment, they know how their character will respond. Eventually we all kinda figure out what their alignment is once we've all had a chance to actually get to know the character and what they want.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Setting Sun/Shadow Hand-focused Halfling Wererat would make a fun miniboss

• Options
    keep it together hakkes

they know P10! They know! The abyss stares back, P10!

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    I thought that said cuck

Now there's a little less joy in my life

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

a wizard did it

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    rip in pepperoncini hockey guy

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Had lunch. Have to leave in 30 minutes for my infusion. Ugh, don't want a needle in my arm for 3 hours.

But when I come home there will be homemade pasta sauce waiting for me.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    keep it together hakkes

memes aren't real hakkekage

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    keep it together hakkes

if you believe in them hard enough they come to life and ruin everything around you

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    then there was the sci-fi ones like Andromeda , Alien Nation and Stargate

I fucking love Stargate. I watch that shit all the time. Like as I age and the more I watch it I can see the flaws in it, but it's still one of my favorite sci fi series.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    The Cincinnati Zoo is tired of all the Harambe stuff online.

I guess you could say it's

Memes out for Harambe

• Options
    keep it together hakkes

Don't lie to me P10 I'm in a delicate position rn

• Options
    A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »

Memes out for Harambe

Memes out for the Cincinnati Zoo!

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    @chelleyeah I just ordered you 16gb of ram and a new 500gb samsung evo SSD

I didn't ask you because you self flagellate over money spent on you so get over it. I can install the ram when it gets here tomorrow. I will upgrade your hdd and reinstall windows this weekend.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular

I think the point is that being a racist murdering slaver isn't evil if that's your culture.

So you wouldn't consider yourself evil per se.

But basically everyone else would.

As long as you grasp that the D&D alignments are ascribed from a particular point of view/frame of reference and not some sort of self-description that everyone signs up for, it's basically fine. There are Drizzt exceptions, but the species is overall culturally evil by [POV of the alignment distributors].

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    keep it together hakkes

Don't lie to me P10 I'm in a delicate position rn

f85oKS2.jpg

• Options

I didn't ask you because you self flagellate over money spent on you so get over it. I can install the ram when it gets here tomorrow. I will upgrade your hdd and reinstall windows this weekend.

@BEAST! hey baby upgrade my ancient macbook pro dont you love me enough

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

No 1080?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i think the alignment mechanic makes sense in the context of, say, a cleric and their relationship to their god, and how they can't just go on a murder spree if that's not the teaching of their god or whatever

but for most characters i don't think alignment really matters and if you wanted it to matter i think it would make more sense to have some sort of reputation mechanic where word of your deeds gets round so people think you're a monster if you just go on murder sprees all the time or they think you're a nice fellow if you save people from dungeons or whatever

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular

"BEAST!" hey baby upgrade my ancient macbook pro dont you love me enough

You don't understand Apple, do you, Hakkes?

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    It's fun to play an Atheist in D&D.

Clerics all "I am literally channeling the divine power of my god. Who was hanging out, in person, at our main shine last month." and you're all "nuh uh you're all frauds!"

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular

Memes out for Harambe

there was a pretty simple way to avoid this scenario cincinnati zoo.....................................

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »

Clerics all "I am literally channeling the divine power of my god. Who was hanging out, in person, at our main shine last month." and you're all "nuh uh you're all frauds!"

it's kind of hard to be an atheist when someone can just go "hey pelor, show this infidel what's what" and pelor literally shows up like bam, checkmate loser

• Options
    y2jake215 wrote: »

Memes out for Harambe

there was a pretty simple way to avoid this scenario cincinnati zoo.....................................

Yeah let the kid die

Crisis averted phew

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    i feel good

i got up early on sunday, hiked, went to beach, got burned, watched hbos, went to bed at a reasonable time, got up at 445 and went to gym, and now im at work

i think if i just focus hard on developing social connections and doing social things that arent going out to bars i will not find no alcohol as trying

speaking of which DESC ignoring my GONJASUFI question

is this why you asked my about the devil's lettuce

i have also drastically reduced my alcohol consumption (tho it was not v high to begin with) because meh it's expensive and my body doesn't feel good from it

i just wish i could drink more wines at dinner but oh well

going out drinking is not a thing i do much lately at all

i had 2 beers at the concert on friday that's about it

poo
  • Options
    The last OW match of the night last night was the best match of the day.
    We were defense on Hanamura, lost A pretty fast
    But B.
    Oh boy, B.
    I was Torb and every wave push I would have my turret in a different spot.
    It went on a 20-streak. I had the play of the game lined up.
    Then on their last push our Zarya got a team wipe gravitron off and stole it away.
    and got a 22 streak
    *shakes fist*

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    milski wrote: »
    Are drow even powerful? I assumed they would just be banned because angsty drizzt clones are boring.

I for one completely change the flavor for drow in my settings.

Tastes like chicken.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options

mask of the betrayer-chan. . .
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_4wtPFyY7c

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    There was a paragraph in the MM in 2nd, 3 and 3.5 that stated that racial alignments were typical but not universal, and were also primarily for the pre-existing settings rather than homebrew campaigns anyway.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

it's kind of hard to be an atheist when someone can just go "hey pelor, show this infidel what's what" and pelor literally shows up like bam, checkmate loser

You're basically a conspiracy theorist.

I once rolled to see how long it would take to get someone at the inn to punch me in frustration.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Bethryn wrote: »
    There was a paragraph in the MM in 2nd, 3 and 3.5 that stated that racial alignments were typical but not universal, and were also primarily for the pre-existing settings rather than homebrew campaigns anyway.

who reads the rulebooks though am i rite

This discussion has been closed.