Options

[Game of Thrones] OPEN SPOILERS through most recent Season 7 episode. Valar Morghulis.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    casting news, but no word on who they're playing(spoilering anyway.)
    Jim Broadbent will be joining the show next season. no word on who he'll play or how big a role he'll play but good news none the less. the man is an absolute delight to watch. haven't been this excited by casting news since they added Jonathan Pryce.

video because i can't find a fucking text article.
    https://youtu.be/Dtg28pp3U98

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Speculation on the above casting, possible spoilers for books 4&5
    My guess would be a Maester in Oldtown, maybe the one who studies magic whose name I forgot.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    My guess would be a Maester in Oldtown, maybe the one who studies magic whose name I forgot.
    Dumbledore?

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Dumbledore?

No no no
    Gandalf

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Dumbledore?

No no no
    Gandalf

Why would either of those people show up in an episode? This isn't Star Trek!

sig.gif
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Nah, he's the new captain of the Night's Watch.

Harold Zidler and his infamous guards, they called them his Diamond Crows

meh, needs work

• Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    Harold Zidler as the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch would be amazing.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Only very tenuously related, but I just imagined the The Black Company getting a TV series.
    That'd be incredible.

• Options
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    Only very tenuously related, but I just imagined the The Black Company getting a TV series.
    That'd be incredible.

Perfect for Starz or HBO.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Since I read Pratchett when I see "Night's Watch" I think about Sam Vimes, despite the extra "'s." So this is confusing.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Since I read Pratchett when I see "Night's Watch" I think about Sam Vimes, despite the extra "'s." So this is confusing.

That's supposed to be getting a tv show, haven't heard news about it for months. :(

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Click bait sites saying that winds of winter will be published next march. Nothing on grrm site

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular

It's okay, I always think of the Russian urban fantasy series

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Kruite wrote: »
    Click bait sites saying that winds of winter will be published next march. Nothing on grrm site

This is all traced back to french amazon and it's for the paperback edition. Almost certainly an error, probably of the sort where they put placeholder dates in the system that are much later than any plausible publishing date and forget to remove them when GRRM proves he is implausible.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    I've been rewatching the show a fair bit recently, but what I've found has been grabbing me the most this time around is the costumes. It's downright crazy the amount of detail the costume designers have snuck in; from the three headed dragon pins on Dany's shoulders the first time she meets Drogo, to the subtle scale patterns that grow more prominent on her dresses over time as she grows in power, to the embroidered birds Cersei wears as Marcella leaves the nest, there's a whole other sort of writing going on that is virtually impossible to catch the first time around.

The wedding gowns are by far the most impressive. Sansa's gown when she marries Tyrion is a stiff, formal King's Landing style gown filled with elaborate detail showing the wolves of her birth House giving way to the lions of her new House. The embroidery pretty much tells her story up to that point. Meanwhile, Margaery's gown when she marries Joffrey is cut in an informal Reach style and decorated with roses on her train and rose vines climbing from her hem to her shoulders. The only acknowledgement that she's marrying into another house is the antler crown she wears in her hair, and even that is bedecked with roses. Her gown is a powerful statement of her independence, whereas Sansa's is a symbol of surrender.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Yeah the costuming is the best on tv, probably ever. It's so so good.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Yeah the costuming is the best on tv, probably ever. It's so so good.

Personally, I find the Lannister mook uniforms to be the weak link in their portfolio.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    I have recently been rewatching from the start and up to the latter half of season 3.

I had actually forgotten how good this show used to be right out of the gate. So many good performances on top of all the production value, costumes, scenery and of course the stronger part (so far) of the story.

Leana Heady especially has me all giddy, she does the best shit-eating grin. Peter Dinklage is of course excellent and who does not like Emilia Clarke speaking made-up languages but what really gets me are the kid actors. Maisie Williams just hits it out of the park constantly.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    The scenes between Maisie Williams and Charles Dance were the real Emmy performances of Season 2, if you ask me.

They were also a fantastic example of great writing that didn't come from the books.

[Edit: Here's the scene! The end is the best part.]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Lp9F_P0dwA

Also:

https://youtu.be/sOYOruxiKEc

Inquisitor77 on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    "Careful girl, I enjoy you" might be my favourite Charles Dance line, and there is some stiff competition.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    The scenes between Maisie Williams and Charles Dance were the real Emmy performances of Season 2, if you ask me.

They were also a fantastic example of great writing that didn't come from the books.

*snip*

The Arya/Tywin scenes might still be my favorite part of the series to date.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »

*snip*

The Arya/Tywin scenes might still be my favorite part of the series to date.

"Anyone can be killed."

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMNNNNN

• Options
    RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Lp9F_P0dwA

Also:

https://youtu.be/sOYOruxiKEc

Which is why it was so bizarre that we got dah bad poo say when we know they can write good non-book scenes.

!
  • Options
    edited September 2016

Also:
    Which is why it was so bizarre that we got dah bad poo say when we know they can write good non-book scenes.

It's also why I get annoyed when people start saying that any criticism of the show is just vague hating of any deviation from the books. These scenes have great writing, and great acting besides. "Good girl bad pussy" is just atrocious, both from a dialogue standpoint but also in the sense of furthering the story or the setting.

Inquisitor77 on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular

Also:

It's also why I get annoyed when people start saying that any criticism of the show is just vague hating of any deviation from the books. These scenes have great writing, and great acting besides. "Good girl bad pussy" is just atrocious, both from a dialogue standpoint but also in the sense of furthering the story or the setting.

Yeah, I'd say that's probably the worst line in the show and it's not even close.

Just...god what a terribly ill-conceived moment.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I remember those Arya/Tywin scenes came in for some stick in the thread for 'not moving the story along' or something equally silly so the larger point of 'all TV show only scenes are rubbish in some way' could be vomited up.

I think the main guy saying it was banned for being an alt, but he wasn't the only one. The TV show has flaws, and also there are people who treat any deviation as a flaw.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Houk wrote: »

Also:

Yeah, I'd say that's probably the worst line in the show and it's not even close.

The 2nd sentence could go for everything Dorne apart from Oberyn.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Houk wrote: »

Also:

The 2nd sentence could go for everything Dorne apart from Oberyn.

Yeah, I really wanted to like the Dorne stuff, but boy did it fight me every step of the way. (And this is as a non-book reader.)

• Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    As bad as bad pussey line was, i still think that absolutely worst scene in entire Game of Thrones was now play with her arse! from season 1.

Jesus, i hate TV!Littlefinger.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    jhVNT3X.jpg

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Nothing to see here, just some iron islanders have some afternoon tea.

• Options
    The weird thing with Dorne is that I was actually pretty excited for the show to go there. It has some problems in the book, but that's often what the show has been good at, understanding what didn't quite work in the book and revamping it so it flows better. And Dorne had a bunch of interesting raw material to work with, it's a much more egalitarian society, and although it takes a while to get there the way it ties into the other characters' plots and backstories is actually pretty interesting.

Aaaaand instead it didn't really touch any of that. Areo Hotah shows up but does nothing, they get a good actor for the prince of dorne and he does nothing either. Instead of confidently characterizing the sand snakes they just give them different goofy weapons. It just felt like they needed something for Jaime to do for a while, it was the kind of shuffling the pieces around sort of move that Game of Thrones (both book and show) has usually been so fantastic at avoiding, that tended to elevate its plotting above other multi-season TV stories.

(Another bit that was like that was the Hound's good buddy Septon I'm Just Here to Die.)

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    I remember those Arya/Tywin scenes came in for some stick in the thread for 'not moving the story along' or something equally silly so the larger point of 'all TV show only scenes are rubbish in some way' could be vomited up.

I think the main guy saying it was banned for being an alt, but he wasn't the only one. The TV show has flaws, and also there are people who treat any deviation as a flaw.

This is really disheartening. Those posts are still here, you can look them up. Nobody had nefarious reasons to dislike these scenes, they simply disagree with you.

I don't like those scenes because Tywin isn't consistent with his character from the rest of the show. This makes the scenes feel ancillary. It's like a bubble. Tywin is terrible to his kids, ruthless to his rivals (is kind to a potentially valuable hostage and never questions her parentage, even though he knows she's noble) plans the Red Wedding, is terrible to his kids some more, never says boo about the time he caught a girl fitting the description of runaway Arya, then he dies. I just don't think this is how Tywin would act in this situation.

• Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular

Also:

I'm one of the people who think that the criticism of the show is over the top in here, but I have no qualms about denigrated the bad pussy line, and really Dorne as a whole. That legit sucked.

In my house, it's usually dead silent during Game of Thrones, except maybe gasps of shock and such, but that line brought out a groan and some comments from everyone in the room.

• Options
    edited September 2016

This is really disheartening. Those posts are still here, you can look them up. Nobody had nefarious reasons to dislike these scenes, they simply disagree with you.

I don't like those scenes because Tywin isn't consistent with his character from the rest of the show. This makes the scenes feel ancillary. It's like a bubble. Tywin is terrible to his kids, ruthless to his rivals (is kind to a potentially valuable hostage and never questions her parentage, even though he knows she's noble) plans the Red Wedding, is terrible to his kids some more, never says boo about the time he caught a girl fitting the description of runaway Arya, then he dies. I just don't think this is how Tywin would act in this situation.

Well, Arya amused him, and he's otherwise stuck in a castle with no amusements.

His brutality towards his kids isn't because he hates children, it's that they're HIS kids, the future of his dynasty, they're the family business. He has to drive them to greatness at all times, and that overwhelming pressure breaks them all in different ways. But for one of his servants he has no expectations, his enormous force of personality is never brought to bear on her.

Like, Tywin was not an innately evil man, not even really an innately cruel man, at least in the sense of taking any pleasure from it (not that he was an innately good man, either). And it helps fill in a bit of detail from the books that the show simply doesn't have the scope to show - that Tywin had qualities that inspired real loyalty in many of his followers. And that's what Arya finds out, that even though she wants him dead she also can't help but respect the guy.

Kana on
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »

Well, Arya amused him, and he's otherwise stuck in a castle with no amusements.

His brutality towards his kids isn't because he hates children, it's that they're HIS kids, the future of his dynasty, they're the family business. He has to drive them to greatness at all times, and that overwhelming pressure breaks them all in different ways. But for one of his servants he has no expectations, his enormous force of personality is never brought to bear on her.

Like, Tywin was not an innately evil man, not even really an innately cruel man, at least in the sense of taking any pleasure from it (not that he was an innately good man, either). And it helps fill in a bit of detail from the books that the show simply doesn't have the scope to show - that Tywin had qualities that inspired real loyalty in many of his followers. And that's what Arya finds out, that even though she wants him dead she also can't help but respect the guy.

Yes. We've been through this. Multiple times. Maybe I wasn't clear. Bogart is claiming that we need to hate changes from book to show, like we're some form of mold on the forums. I don't like the thing he likes, that's not "vomiting up" anything, it's a differing opinion.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Like, Tywin was not an innately evil man, not even really an innately cruel man, at least in the sense of taking any pleasure from it (not that he was an innately good man, either).
    Not an evil man, huh? I guess you've forgotten about Tysha (book, television), not to mention the Red Wedding.

Tywin was an awful ratfuck of a person. He was an evil man, he was a cruel man. Just because he showed some decency to a servant girl doesn't absolve him of sin.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Saw this today (a friend shared it from Peter Dinklage's FB page), and it seems pretty apt.

ldak1kvinsnq.jpeg

Yes the show will always just be skimming from the top of what the books are able to do. That will always the case with any adaptation. When examined on its own merits though, without just bemoaning the rest that isn't there, it can still be great (and occasionally, like the books I assume, very very bad).

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Like, Tywin was not an innately evil man, not even really an innately cruel man, at least in the sense of taking any pleasure from it (not that he was an innately good man, either).
    Not an evil man, huh? I guess you've forgotten about Tysha (book, television), not to mention the Red Wedding.

Tywin was an awful ratfuck of a person. He was an evil man, he was a cruel man. Just because he showed some decency to a servant girl doesn't absolve him of sin.

Tywin is a man who does the wrong things for the right reasons. The Red Wedding was in the interest of his family.

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    Tywin was acting well within the moral bounds of his setting, on a scale of 1 to 10 from good to evil he's probably a 6, with his prideful nature and shitty parenting. He thought the war was stupid but he was in a position where he had to fight it, the red wedding probably saved lives (or would have if everything didn't continue to go to shit).

This discussion has been closed.