Options

First [Presidential Debate] Monday Sept 26, 9 PM EST at Hostra University

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Duffel wrote: »
    People that are already emotionally invested in the race saw what they wanted/expected to see. Not a surprise. But it's not like those votes were up for grabs anyway. This is why many of us have always thought the debates wouldn't change much.

But if we get lucky and Trump begins to be widely perceived and discussed as a petulant, blubbering lightweight in the last few weeks before the election... especially if this is further reinforced and disseminated in the following debates...

That could definitely be a boon. This race may very well come down to a couple of points.

Its also important as it might sway people who are still planning to vote R because that's what they've always done, not because it has anything to do with the candidates. These are the people that need to be swayed.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    why're people saying npr gave it a tie? this article is all clinton

http://www.npr.org/2016/09/27/495539022/who-got-what-they-wanted-from-the-first-clinton-trump-debate

• Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    I hope in the next few weeks they send every surrogate they can against Trump and just start pushing every one of his buttons incessantly. He has no self-control and he only recently has a filter because he had it grafted onto him by his handlers. Twist the knife and I guarantee he'll start screaming.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    why're people saying npr gave it a tie? this article is all clinton

http://www.npr.org/2016/09/27/495539022/who-got-what-they-wanted-from-the-first-clinton-trump-debate

I'm guessing this:
    While there was a lot of conflict, the debate did not do much to fulfill the needs of voters seeking information beyond the candidates' personae. [...] It was also hard to say whether undecided voters got much guidance from the debate, which took place before a mostly silent audience at Hofstra University in suburban Hempstead on New York's Long Island. The first post-debate surveys showed little sign that the uncommitted were moved.

sig.gif
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    I'm reading a fact check and everything he said so far was just not true. It's amazing.

http://www.npr.org/2016/09/27/495576599/fact-check-first-presidential-debate

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I'm waiting for the eventual tweet where Donald says that Hillary said all those awful things that came out of his mouth.

Like, at this point, I feel like this is a nationwide test to see if Americans know what gaslighting is and if that's less than 50% our prize is a President with a First Strike policy on nuclear weapons.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

"President Trump should skip the G8 summit unless he gets special guarantees from the other leaders"

they're really selling that tough guy winner angle aren't they. :lol:

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular

:eek:

why

why are they doubling down on this

with so many better ways to be wrong and stupid

why

why this

this widely-known, easily fact-checked truth

I can't even begin to understand what the fuck is even happening here

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »

:eek:

why

why are they doubling down on this

with so many better ways to be wrong and stupid

why

why this

this widely-known, easily fact-checked truth

I can't even begin to understand what the fuck is even happening here

Because "Fucking Over Brown People" is both the only policy they actually have, and the core of their entire base of support. Waffling on this could actually turn parts of his base against him.

• Options
    SarcasmoBlasterSarcasmoBlaster Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    Most of the people on my FB feed who think trump are also pro-starting WW3 based on counties being disrespectful to us. And I'm not exaggerating. Like the attitude is that WW3 would be better than looking like pussies.

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Couscous wrote: »
    Burnage wrote: »
    Unscientific and informal online polls are probably better for Trump's campaign because they survey hundreds of thousands of sockpuppet accounts.

I am surprised Ron Paul did not win the polls for last nights debate.

In a way, he did. All of his supporters switched to the Trump camp because racism, which is why his son ended up with only 0.2% of the primary vote.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Most of the people on my FB feed who think trump are also pro-starting WW3 based on counties being disrespectful to us. And I'm not exaggerating. Like the attitude is that WW3 would be better than looking like pussies.

Toxic masculinity as foreign policy!

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016

Yeah, it's really scary. Had a Trump supporter drop the bomb shell in one comment thread that "Turning the middle east in to a glass parking lot would be awesome and show everyone no one fucks with America"...because Russia would never use nukes against us in retaliation for irradiating an entire sub continent, destabilizing the world's oil supply and economies.

It's that kind of complete lack of nuance and ability to critically think past their own machismo that I was talking about on the last page. The majority of Trump's base see intelligence, education and ability to think critically and compromise as weakness.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options

I mean that's basically shitty analysis, too, but it's amazing they still don't understand Trump. Or they have so bought into the idea that he must be rational because he won the nomination of a major party.

• Options
    Idx86 wrote: »
    After watching the debate, I still think both are pretty poor candidates.

It's like deciding between eating Domino's Pizza vs. a vial full of anthrax.

I mean, what kind of a sick person enjoys eating pizza that wasn't even prepared in a brick oven?

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I'm a millenial, what specifically should Hillary have said that she wasn't already saying? Fuck sake Media.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    Young people want to feel cool because of their opinions. Supporting Clinton will never feel cool the way having Obama be their new bicycle did.

• Options

Evidence the appeal to Hispanics worked.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    As a dyed-in-the-wool millenial what I think she needs is to have pop-out skull shades like Adam Jensen.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    But millenial covers such a range of people, like this is the media who doesn't understand their own bullshit group trying to tell that group that "no you didn't get what we specifically said you should get."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    This is CNN we are talking about, so if she did reach out somehow she would be called pandering and get a negative to it because they have to find some kind of negative to keep her in horse-race status with Trump.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I'm a millenial, what specifically should Hillary have said that she wasn't already saying? Fuck sake Media.

When the MSM says "Millennial", they're not talking about you. They're talking about either (or both):
    - A fictional set of 18 to 25 year old narcissists who spend all day on social media instead of getting jobs
    - Bernie Supporters

• Options
    Houn wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »

When the MSM says "Millennial", they're not talking about you. They're talking about either (or both):
    - A fictional set of 18 to 25 year old narcissists who spend all day on social media instead of getting jobs
    - Bernie Supporters

Ok that makes more sense in a "she can't win" sort of way.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Oh for anyone waiting with baited breath on shitbag misogynist and derp master Scott Adams (who previously said he was going to vote for hillary because he feared for his life from her supports but now is full derp Trump) has wrote his breakdown of the debate.

http://blog.dilbert.com/post/151007796236/i-score-the-first-debate

This is another one of those situations where you have to look at both the artist and the art.. I liked Dilbert when I was younger, it was funny and new.. now I cant stand to read it because Scott is a huge fuckstick.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    They're just saying Hillary hasn't gotten 18-30 voters excited, and they're probably right. Those voters rarely get out and vote. Obama got them excited the first time around, but Hillary is not the god-tier public speaker that he is, and also even though being the first woman president should be as exciting to young people as the first black one, it just isn't. Hillary can't even afford to mention it that much or else she'll get attacked by people claiming she's just using her vagina as a tool to manipulate voters or some bullshit.

• Options
    HiroconHirocon Registered User regular
    The next debate will apparently include questions voted on by internet respondents. I'm terrified that the same reddit hordes upvoting Trump in post-debate polls will mass-upvote debate questions like "As president, what specific steps will you take to lower taxes, reduce regulations, protect second amendment rights and criminalize gay marriage?"

Please vote for quality debate questions here:

https://presidentialopenquestions.com/

• Options
    It's great they were cleared of Whitewater and someone else took the blame. It's great that she simply admitted to the e-mails as being a "mistake" and it's done because she was cleared, it's great that no one talked about Benghazi and she was cleared there as well, but you know there's only so many times someone can either fuck up or be accused of fucking up before I lose confidence in them. I've personally reached my limit with her. I think she's incredibly smart, I think she cares more about civil rights than any of our past five presidents (aside from Obama), and I think generally she can do a lot to help our country as a whole to heal itself. For that she has my vote. I still don't trust her farther than I can lift and throw her and I think her geopolitical abilities aren't grand. Hopefully though that'll be remedied by advisors she'd listen to, unlike Trump. Again, she's got my vote, I don't trust her.

You know how Bill Clinton was referred to as the first black president?

It was not because of his standing within the black community.

Rather, it was because of the constant witch hunts and presumptions of guilt.

And Hillary is dealing with that to a much greater extent.

"Look, I'm glad this black guy didn't have drugs on him, but why is he getting stopped and frisked all the time if he didn't do anything wrong? Why is he constantly getting pulled over for matching the description of a criminal? I know they haven't found anything, but they can only get pulled over and frisked so many times before I lose confidence!"

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Hirocon wrote: »
    The next debate will apparently include questions voted on by internet respondents. I'm terrified that the same reddit hordes upvoting Trump in post-debate polls will mass-upvote debate questions like "As president, what specific steps will you take to lower taxes, reduce regulations, protect second amendment rights and criminalize gay marriage?"

Globalism, why do you support it or oppose it and why?
    The trending question with the 4th highest vote count on the front page, ladies and gentlemen.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016

lame twitter feed but I always gotta share Lin-Manuel Miranda

The world turned upside down...

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »

The question with the 4th highest vote count on the front page, ladies and gentlemen.

It's kind of a major actual policy sticking point between the two candidates. One of the rare ones where we have stated positions from both that haven't vacillated wildly over the course of the campaign. That seems like a reasonable thing to ask to me.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Yeah, those questions are right-wing fantasies. They're stopping short of asking "how will having a penis make you a better president or how will you overcome not having one?". Or maybe they did and it hasn't been voted up yet.

Hopefully the network will actually filter them first.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    OptimusZed wrote: »

The question with the 4th highest vote count on the front page, ladies and gentlemen.

It's kind of a major actual policy sticking point between the two candidates. One of the rare ones where we have stated positions from both that haven't vacillated wildly over the course of the campaign. That seems like a reasonable thing to ask to me.

I was actually pointing out the poor grammar. Which wouldn't bug me so much if it wasn't the fourth highest trending question right now.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Yeah, those questions are right-wing fantasies. They're stopping short of asking "how will having a penis make you a better president or how will you overcome not having one?". Or maybe they did and it hasn't been voted up yet.

I wouldn't worry. Every time they have had one of these "YOU provide the questions! DIRECTLY FROM VOTERS!" they always filter for fairly mainstream questions and never really have follow ups

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular

I believe they said they're going to pick from the top 50 questions or something along those lines, so hopefully it'll just be 1-2 questions they would have asked anyway.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Yeah they aren't going to ask the most voted question which is probably something about why hillary is a nazi.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Holy hell those questions.

Just sort by "fewest votes" and go from there.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    What if Donald Trump is actually a black woman? Are we absolutely sure he isn't a black woman? I don't think it's fair to call him a misogynistic racist until we explicitly vet this out.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    The moderators should agree to his conditions and then ignore them for debate 2

This discussion has been closed.