As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Not [Chat]Some Enough

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    The best part about getting a house is that I can finally stock it up with some fresh puppies.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Can I wear a hat to my polling station that says "make america great again" but is blue?

What if it has donkey ears on it?

• Options
    ChelleYeahChelleYeah Mrs. Ludious Living it up in Cinderella's CastleRegistered User regular
    sweet thanks guys

I post Makeup stuff and Schnauzers on instagram.

Ludious wrote: »
    I react like a dyslexic crash test dummy. Hit the wall then the brakes.
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    saying who you're voting for and going on a rant about what's wrong with the other side seems like an endorsement

i.e. political activity

Also I do not discuss politics on work equipment as all of my posts come from my home IP address and ya can't prove otherwise :P

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    FZn7MQn.png

:D:D:D:D

I paid for next-day so I'll get it tomorrow!

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    I remember when I was consulting for State in 2012 they wouldn't let employees attend the DNC or RNC, dunno if that was part of the Hatch Act.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    ChelleYeah wrote: »
    oh wait there is more, this didnt cover everything

- talking about the Hatch Act on web forums is a Class 1-A violation punishable by summary execution oh shi

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    We've handed people over to the CIA which were then taken away on private planes to torture or isolation in sponsored states such as Mubarak Egypt. Those cases became known thanks to investigative journalism and heavily criticized and in those cases they were able to be performed because those were not famous people.

There is literally no chance this can happen to Assange.

Which leaves the other option, which is a regular extradition. Which we generally don't do since we don't trust your legal system and you have capital punishment. So he's at no risk for that either.

The single way he could end up in US custody is if the US thought it worth shedding all political relations with Sweden and snatching him off the street at gunpoint. Which of course isn't a possibility either. He must understand this, and is just using fear of the US as an excuse to not be investigated for sexual assault.

Assange is a bad person and a coward.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    it is seriously hard for me to find like, the actual hatch act

in norway we have lovdata.no which is all norwegian law in one place and all state or local pages will link to it from their stuff. Not so easy with the US federal law, at least not for me.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I remember when I was consulting for State in 2012 they wouldn't let employees attend the DNC or RNC, dunno if that was part of the Hatch Act.

Yup.

That is political activity at its most political.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Can I wear a hat to my polling station that says "make america great again" but is blue?

What if it has donkey ears on it?

Stop by a week ahead of time to mark out a 100 ft circle around the polling center. Doesn't need to be obvious, just the occasional surreptitious marker. Then you can do whatever you want as long as you're juuuust outside those markers.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    i have contacted SAS support about something
    my expectations for the assistance they'll provide are rock bottom

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    The first rule of The Hatch Act is you don't talk about The Hatch Act.

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    Ireland has the fucking worst infrastructure outside of Dublin

Honestly Cork is close enough that I should conceivably be able to go down for a night for pints but its awful roads/incredibly expensive rail makes it an eight hour round journey if you don't drive

It's honestly easier and cheaper to get to London from where I am now

I think Ireland's fallen into the Star Network trap of Infrastructure, where it's all about reaching the Capital from wherever you are.

Example, if you are determined to get a train from Sligo to Galway (both in the West), you have to get a train into Dublin (on the east coast) first.

Norn Iron also suffers from this. Our rail network is barren and Belfast centric, and it even has its own phrase, "West of the Bann", to describe generally inferior infrastructure once you go past the River Bann and Lough Neagh.

There was a western rail corridor, which connected Sligo to Galway, but it was closed and while there was talk of reopening it, i think that all went away once the arse fell out of the Irish economy,

sig.gif
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    i have contacted SAS support about something
    my expectations for the assistance they'll provide are rock bottom

SAS-til-Malta.jpg

?

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I mean I'm using a mail in ballot cause pfffffff.

But I wonder how strict those campaigning at the poll station rules are.

• Options
    no,
    SAS (Statistical Analysis System)[1] is a software suite developed by SAS Institute for advanced analytics, multivariate analyses, business intelligence, data management, and predictive analytics.

• Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Yup.

That is political activity at its most political.

The reason I wasn't sure was if it was the Hatch Act or something else because you aren't actually using government equipment or explicitly using your capacity as government official. I don't really remember too much, since my only time as an actual government employee was a two month stint clerking at NYSED in 2007 it's never been a concern.

• Options
    it is also the dumbest issue because 100% of my SAS work is troubleshooting absurdly nitpicky things about the presentation of the output

• Options
    Honk wrote: »
    We've handed people over to the CIA which were then taken away on private planes to torture or isolation in sponsored states such as Mubarak Egypt. Those cases became known thanks to investigative journalism and heavily criticized and in those cases they were able to be performed because those were not famous people.

Which leaves the other option, which is a regular extradition. Which we generally don't do since we don't trust your legal system and you have capital punishment. So he's at no risk for that either.

The single way he could end up in US custody is if the US thought it worth shedding all political relations with Sweden and snatching him off the street at gunpoint. Which of course isn't a possibility either. He must understand this, and is just using fear of the US as an excuse to not be investigated for sexual assault.

He is under no threat of capital punishment either.

Federal law only enforces that for murder or treason. Neither he can be charged with.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I like how the FAQ never flat out answers whether you can talk about politics or not. Nice and weasley.

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Ok westworld is great but now I'm sad because I have to wait for more episodes.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Grape Ape wrote: »
    NiykJOWl.jpg

C2QPiNR.jpg

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options

Federal law only enforces that for murder or treason. Neither he can be charged with.

Neither that we know of!

• Options
    Ludious wrote: »
    I like how the FAQ never flat out answers whether you can talk about politics or not. Nice and weasley.

They realize that there's literally no way they can actually ban the entire US government from talking about politics in the office but they don't want to condone it either. Happens a lot in government.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I love it when I have to argue with my boss

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »
    Ok westworld is great but now I'm sad because I have to wait for more episodes.

Ha! I was thinking the same thing. Catching up on GoT was fun cause I would watch one a night and had 4 seasons to catch up on. Now I'm watching Westworld as it comes out and I just want to watch more.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    PantsB wrote: »
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    Did SCII just have its player base eaten away by other games?
    Mostly LoL.

Brood War was a popular competitive game because it was extremely high skill cap, and I believe had absolutely no randomness in it. SCII followed in these footsteps, although when SCII was released - at the highest level of play - it apparently wasn't quite the same as Brood War? I'm not sure if that was a balance issue or what, exactly, just that the top players mentioned it felt slightly different to BW.

Anyway, Brood War dominated gaming 'bangs' which are LANs/netCafes, probably the most common way to partake in gaming in Korea. That's basically the springboard that enabled it to be an eSport, and America to also participate occasionally, keeping it relevant far longer than any other game barring the CounterStrike franchise.

So SCII, Wings of Liberty gets released mid-2010, and generally cannibalises most of the Brood War playerbase. Almost all pros, Korean and otherwise, make the transition (moreso at home than at bangs, but it still makes a decent showing at bangs). LoL had actually been released almost a year beforehand, but wasn't at its behemoth stage yet; it was still competing with HoN as a relatively unknown title. As far as I remember, SCII competitive scene continued to dominate up until at least 2011/2, and the best SCII streamers could just about make a living livestreaming it (and this was before livestreaming was as big as it is now).

But at some point after the 2011 World Championships of LoL, it started making its way into Korea in a big way. I'm not sure exactly when it was released (it may have been released earlier than an actual Korean client version was produced in 2011), but apparently by March 2012 it had become the #1 game in Korean bangs (recently, Overwatch took this title away). Competitively, there's a TV network in Korea dedicated to eSports called OGN, which fostered StarCraft for a long time, but also started taking LoL under its wing when it arrived in Korea.

From this point on, it's a slow decline for SCII. Streaming takes off, and LoL is much easier to watch than SC. I think by the time HotS, the second SCII expansion came out, a lot of people had cooled off from it a lot. LoL streamers basically take over livestream sites such as justin.tv and own3d.tv, which eventually become Twitch. At this point I'd stopped paying much attention to SCII, but I was vaguely aware of a few people like day9 still able to keep decent numbers while streaming.

There's a bigger picture about RTS design, but I'm not sure how much that factors into it. However, LoL exceeded pretty much every record for gaming numbers from around 2012 onwards, and is very much king of eSports, although CounterStrike continues to hold the FPS throne (I am curious if Rainbow 6 might stand a chance at displacing it).
    In the West the problem is it has a very high and harsh skill curve. I have 6K+ SCII ladder matches under my belt. I haven't played more than a dozen games in a year and I could still very easily beat a new player without trying. And I was only diamond (top 25%) at my peak. If I jumped on the ladder tonight I'd definitely be in the bottom half of players and it would take me a while to even approach what I'd consider respectable.

And while you might get lucky in some games and win against better players, that rarely happens in SCII. Variable was like half a league better than me when I was at my peak (high diamond/low masters vs low/mid diamond) at he'd beat me like 8 out of 10 times even though PvT was my best matchup. And players a league below me I could beat like that and players a league above Vari would beat him like that.

So when you try to play, you immediately get whomped and you have no idea how the other guy had so much stuff so fast. And then again and then again and then you quit because this game is stupid. Or you keep playing and work really hard and still only win 50% of your games because the ladder algorithm is pretty damn good. Its not relaxing, its a challenge and many people don't want that in a game.

Also part of this is RTS competitive is 1v1. That is the peak of skill. Like chess it is all about you as an individual. There is no one able to carry you. All the faults of the loss are on you. And for a lot of people that makes it more stressful. You can't rage at bad team members. You can't keep the false perspective of its never me its everyone else. I am in ELO hell because I am pulled down by the bads. Things people say to themselves all the time.

I was low diamond when I played a lot of SC2 multiplayer. To improve was a time sink. Watching replays. Improving by a fraction of a second my build timing. Knowing my movements and maps better than I did from the start. Reading through patch notes. Holding at minimum 3 plans at a time in my head.

SC2 is and SC:BW and most RTS in a multiplayer competitive setting are hard. Super hard. And the moving parts require a lot more effort than any MOBA. And since it is always on just you as a player I don't think people want that as a majority anymore. LoL, DoTA, HoTS, Overwatch, and a list of other games let people play competitively but able to shift blame onto others as well. Hearthstone just lets you shift it to the RNG.

been at work so I am just reading this now

it really amazes me that people would rather get mad at other folks (or however you want to frame it) than themselves. I mean, I play hearthstone a bunch and I absolutely agree it affects me differently than starcraft does (I do still play sc2 but it's very demanding) so I realize that team games must offer something that I just personally don't want.

but why would you ever want to set yourself up to 'blame' teammates, specifically since you can't make them improve. just seems like torture to me.

I realize there's a million other reasons people make these choices, to be clear, but since I'm responding to a post that focused a lot on that aspect I thought it was worth focusing on.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    I can only assume based on the things they do address..

You can't send partisan emails or distribute partisan materials at work. You can't wear partisan clothing.
    So I don't really see how being partisan with your facehole in the workplace is any different other than being harder to prove

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    I need to stop fiddling with my phone during shows. I need to focus on the shows.

• Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I mean I'm using a mail in ballot cause pfffffff.

But I wonder how strict those campaigning at the poll station rules are.

They made me take off an obama button on my back pack in 2012 I left on by accident.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

Isolation would count as inhumane treatment, he's certainly in risk of that looking at people he's been involved with.

Gitmo is also always a thing, they'd no doubt take that into consideration too. People sit there for decades without charge.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    [/spoiler]
    PantsB wrote: »
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    Did SCII just have its player base eaten away by other games?
    Mostly LoL.

Brood War was a popular competitive game because it was extremely high skill cap, and I believe had absolutely no randomness in it. SCII followed in these footsteps, although when SCII was released - at the highest level of play - it apparently wasn't quite the same as Brood War? I'm not sure if that was a balance issue or what, exactly, just that the top players mentioned it felt slightly different to BW.

Anyway, Brood War dominated gaming 'bangs' which are LANs/netCafes, probably the most common way to partake in gaming in Korea. That's basically the springboard that enabled it to be an eSport, and America to also participate occasionally, keeping it relevant far longer than any other game barring the CounterStrike franchise.

So SCII, Wings of Liberty gets released mid-2010, and generally cannibalises most of the Brood War playerbase. Almost all pros, Korean and otherwise, make the transition (moreso at home than at bangs, but it still makes a decent showing at bangs). LoL had actually been released almost a year beforehand, but wasn't at its behemoth stage yet; it was still competing with HoN as a relatively unknown title. As far as I remember, SCII competitive scene continued to dominate up until at least 2011/2, and the best SCII streamers could just about make a living livestreaming it (and this was before livestreaming was as big as it is now).

But at some point after the 2011 World Championships of LoL, it started making its way into Korea in a big way. I'm not sure exactly when it was released (it may have been released earlier than an actual Korean client version was produced in 2011), but apparently by March 2012 it had become the #1 game in Korean bangs (recently, Overwatch took this title away). Competitively, there's a TV network in Korea dedicated to eSports called OGN, which fostered StarCraft for a long time, but also started taking LoL under its wing when it arrived in Korea.

From this point on, it's a slow decline for SCII. Streaming takes off, and LoL is much easier to watch than SC. I think by the time HotS, the second SCII expansion came out, a lot of people had cooled off from it a lot. LoL streamers basically take over livestream sites such as justin.tv and own3d.tv, which eventually become Twitch. At this point I'd stopped paying much attention to SCII, but I was vaguely aware of a few people like day9 still able to keep decent numbers while streaming.

There's a bigger picture about RTS design, but I'm not sure how much that factors into it. However, LoL exceeded pretty much every record for gaming numbers from around 2012 onwards, and is very much king of eSports, although CounterStrike continues to hold the FPS throne (I am curious if Rainbow 6 might stand a chance at displacing it).
    In the West the problem is it has a very high and harsh skill curve. I have 6K+ SCII ladder matches under my belt. I haven't played more than a dozen games in a year and I could still very easily beat a new player without trying. And I was only diamond (top 25%) at my peak. If I jumped on the ladder tonight I'd definitely be in the bottom half of players and it would take me a while to even approach what I'd consider respectable.

And while you might get lucky in some games and win against better players, that rarely happens in SCII. Variable was like half a league better than me when I was at my peak (high diamond/low masters vs low/mid diamond) at he'd beat me like 8 out of 10 times even though PvT was my best matchup. And players a league below me I could beat like that and players a league above Vari would beat him like that.

So when you try to play, you immediately get whomped and you have no idea how the other guy had so much stuff so fast. And then again and then again and then you quit because this game is stupid. Or you keep playing and work really hard and still only win 50% of your games because the ladder algorithm is pretty damn good. Its not relaxing, its a challenge and many people don't want that in a game.
    [/spoiler]

Also part of this is RTS competitive is 1v1. That is the peak of skill. Like chess it is all about you as an individual. There is no one able to carry you. All the faults of the loss are on you. And for a lot of people that makes it more stressful. You can't rage at bad team members. You can't keep the false perspective of its never me its everyone else. I am in ELO hell because I am pulled down by the bads. Things people say to themselves all the time.

I was low diamond when I played a lot of SC2 multiplayer. To improve was a time sink. Watching replays. Improving by a fraction of a second my build timing. Knowing my movements and maps better than I did from the start. Reading through patch notes. Holding at minimum 3 plans at a time in my head.

SC2 is and SC:BW and most RTS in a multiplayer competitive setting are hard. Super hard. And the moving parts require a lot more effort than any MOBA. And since it is always on just you as a player I don't think people want that as a majority anymore. LoL, DoTA, HoTS, Overwatch, and a list of other games let people play competitively but able to shift blame onto others as well. Hearthstone just lets you shift it to the RNG.

been at work so I am just reading this now

it really amazes me that people would rather get mad at other folks (or however you want to frame it) than themselves. I mean, I play hearthstone a bunch and I absolutely agree it affects me differently than starcraft does (I do still play sc2 but it's very demanding) so I realize that team games must offer something that I just personally don't want.

but why would you ever want to set yourself up to 'blame' teammates, specifically since you can't make them improve. just seems like torture to me.

I realize there's a million other reasons people make these choices, to be clear, but since I'm responding to a post that focused a lot on that aspect I thought it was worth focusing on.

Many of the most hurtful things that have been said directly to me over the last couple of months have been from Rocket League teammates.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    dang it better actually ship today

it does have a tracking number already (though it itsn't in fedex's system yet)

should be ok

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    My very favourite feature of outlook is the way it locks up my laptop whenever it decides to update my inbox on a marginal wifi connection

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    fRUc6ob.jpg

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Damn, my boss is one of the good ones.

Last week I got after hours calls pretty much every night. We're talking more than 4 hours of extra work done after hours which I'm not paid for. I told my boss that if it stays at this volume we may have to look into some sort of ETO or something. He immediately refunded the vacay day I'd taken on Friday and gave it to me for free and said if this kept up we'd work something out.

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Nevermind

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
This discussion has been closed.