As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Not [Chat]Some Enough

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    :O

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    It turned out I could only use GPT because of the volume size, I think I understand now what the prompt was about.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    :O

No, ronya. The answer is no.

• Options
    Next question.

Is it good to have a mechanical hard drive lying on the floor of the computer on a 3 degree angle?

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    Next question.

Is it good to have a mechanical hard drive lying on the floor of the computer on a 3 degree angle?

it's fine. just don't move it whilst it's spinning.

in the meanwhile, shop for one of those sketch free-international-shipping caddies on ebay for a few dollars

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    So MorningJoe mentioned the nerdist today on his show, and his twitter turned into an absolute troll shitshow as a direct result.

He started sharing troll tweets on live TV, such as people hoping the window behind him was real so he could jump through it to his death, gif memes, etc.

This shit was nuts. I think the powers that be at MSNBC told him to stop feeding the trolls by sharing on national television.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Though I must admit this showing up on the morning joe feed had me laughing pretty hard.

daw1iw8vxlc0.jpg

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    i hope i like civ6

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    ronya wrote: »
    Honk wrote: »
    Next question.

it's fine. just don't move it whilst it's spinning.

in the meanwhile, shop for one of those sketch free-international-shipping caddies on ebay for a few dollars

Awesome I'll look into that. I totally thought there was a bay free here, and there is, but it's some sort of plastic insert I'm missing because this is a Dell station.

Honk on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    That said the local news did just do an extended nothing piece about Breaking Bad.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    SimspaG.jpg?1

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    guys, i just got told one of the worst, most cringe worthy things and now i am ded send help
    right, so
    a few months ago i went to a music festival with my best friend and two girls he works with

one of the girls had a guy friend who was, uh, overbearing

they are not dating and she has no interest in dating him but they've been friends for like 5+ years now

like he would message her 15+ times in a row until she responded and call her several times an hour

she uploaded a selfie of us and her aggressively questioned who i was etc etc

she realises that this behaviour is awful but she's too nice to say anything and doesn't think he'll cause harm

fast forward to this week, it is her bday and this dude took out a 2.5k bank loan to surprise her with a trip to america

apparently her told her this when they were out with other people and well, i don't think he got the reaction he was looking for

tumblr_ljy477PjwD1qbhikco1_500.jpg
    also
    apparently the dude doesn't have a permanent job and no real means of paying it back

aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Guys I am reposting this because aaaaahhhhhh

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    her told her this

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Ouch

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    syndalis wrote: »
    Though I must admit this showing up on the morning joe feed had me laughing pretty hard.

daw1iw8vxlc0.jpg

I actually like my "Don't tread on me." mug from Cracker Barrel.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    looking back at my life it's no wonder I screwed up college

not because I coasted through life before that and had no sense of responsibility... well okay not just that.

but in my first semester the yankees became the only baseball team to ever blow a 3-0 lead in the playoffs and then about a month later Bush jr. recaptured the White House

that it took me almost a decade to recover from that 1-2 punch is not so surprising

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    When you're real sleepy on the train and listening to techno and that 200mg of caffeine kicks in tho

poo
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    i hope i like civ6

It's fun to hope things.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    i hope i like civ6

It's fun to hope things.
    if i don't i will view it as a personal failing

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    Are there any other video games coming out in October/November/December that I need to buy? I maybe want to buy Civiliza6ion but full price game purchases need to be rationed.

Maybe I want FFXV?

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    her told her this

This is useful and contributes a lot.

• Options
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    guys, i just got told one of the worst, most cringe worthy things and now i am ded send help
    right, so
    a few months ago i went to a music festival with my best friend and two girls he works with

they are not dating and she has no interest in dating him but they've been friends for like 5+ years now

like he would message her 15+ times in a row until she responded and call her several times an hour

she realises that this behaviour is awful but she's too nice to say anything and doesn't think he'll cause harm

fast forward to this week, it is her bday and this dude took out a 2.5k bank loan to surprise her with a trip to america

apparently her told her this when they were out with other people and well, i don't think he got the reaction he was looking for

also
    apparently the dude doesn't have a permanent job and no real means of paying it back

I bet when she starts avoiding him he blames her for "making it weird".

japan on
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Anyone know any girls who are already in America that I can obsess over? I wanna be super creepy but can only afford 1.25k for the surprise USA trip.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Tav that is awful.

Chu's co-worker's way of brutally shutting down romantic aspirations with 'not handsome enough for me' seems like an entirely reasonable tactic in the face of such madness. Shut it down, ladies. Before it gets out of hand, shut it down.

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Gonna give this westworld tv show a try.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    evilbob wrote: »
    Gonna give this westworld tv show a try.

You will probs like it a lot.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »
    Current project:
    I don’t have any children. Let’s suppose that I never have any, and hence that no children of mine ever exist. Does it make sense to think of those never-existing children as having missed out on life, to think of them as having been deprived of something as a result of my choice not to have them? A common answer is: of course not. Although the death of an already-existing person may be a tragedy for the one who dies, failing to be born is no tragedy for the one who fails to be born. Strictly speaking, it is not even correct to say that there was someone--an individual--who failed to be born. The very nature of the harm we are attempting to attribute guarantees that there can be no valid subject for its attribution. Furthermore, one might continue, this realization does important ethical work. If it is impossible to be harmed by not being born, then it may be that I harm no one when I decline to reproduce. If I am harming no one, I may be wronging no one--and this even under the supposition that I easily could have had children, had I set my mind to it, and that had I done so they would have gone on to live excellent lives. And this conclusion may be quite compelling, especially so to those among us with no particular interest in procreation, let alone procreation on the scale one suspects might be required if the hypothetical harm we are considering turned out to not only be cogent but to be similar in magnitude to the harm of having an already-there life taken away.

So there is an interesting nexus of practical-metaphysical thought here; it posits a sharp metaphysical distinction between the ever-existing and the never-existing, and in so doing offers the basis for further, attractive, ethical distinctions in our obligations with respect to bringing new lives into existence. Unfortunately, however lovely this package may be, I do not believe it survives scrutiny. This because I don’t believe the distinction between the ever-existing and the never-existing is sharp, or, at least, I don’t believe it’s sharp in the way that would be required for it to block the attribution of harm to those who, in virtue of never being born, thereby miss out on the lives they otherwise could have had. My argumentative strategy is as follows. First, I note that throughout our lives we go through regular periods of unconsciousness, i.e. we sleep, and that for at least some of our slumber we fail to exhibit the characteristics that ordinarily ground our status as objects susceptible to benefit and harm. Yet we still feel qualified to judge, of a sleeping person, that it would harm them were they, speaking loosely, to fail to reenter existence—that is, we feel qualified to judge that it would harm a sleeping person were they to never wake up. I argue that the intelligibility of this behavior, once properly understood, is already sufficient to secure the same when it comes to those who never ‘wake up’ in the first place, that is to say, those who are never born. Now, in arguing this I will not argue that those who are asleep literally fail to exist, nor that those who never exist are literally asleep. The second of those claims (though perhaps not the first) is absurd when taken literally. Nonetheless, it is not a bad way to summarize my conclusions to say that though language may be figurative it is not misleading.

I've written versions of this paper several times and the main problem is that everyone thinks it's stupid BUT I'M STILL TRYING

*flails*

Apothe0sis rockrnger LoserForHireX
    @MrMister

I'll have to look up who originated it, but I recall an argument on whether it makes sense to speak of being harmed by a failure to exist or, as is the case, wake up. Certainly we speak of harm in a case where one fails to wake up, but I don't know if we locate the actual harm in simply not getting continued existence. Arguing otherwise would seem to push us towards concluding that we are harmed by our failure to be immortal*, or that we are harmed by euthanasia even if our further life is know to be short and terribly painful.

I think a much more likely explanation of the harm to us if we fail to wake up is that it is counter to our wants. I want to wake up again, and so I am harmed if it doesn't happen. Since sleeping Julius has no wants himself, we can go to the earliest iteration that has wants and consider those with regards to the harm that would befall me where I not to wake up. This view allows us to make more sense of our intuitive judgements of cases like a persistent vegetative state (where the initial harm loses meaning over time) and euthanasia (where our wants are not to wake up). Also, we can see that future people are not harmed by not existing, since non-existent people can not have wants. They can not want to live, so they can not be harmed by not existing.

*I believe we can conclude that immortality would be terrible, so being harmed by not having that would be pretty weird.

• Options
    longest running starcraft 2 tournament, arguably like the pioneer for most of what esports has grown into, is ending :(

proleague

really sad fucking day for me. bunch of teams are disbanding too. looks like there will still be some regular singles tournaments so it's not a complete disaster but things are changing pretty severely.

and yes it's not that weird as the game is not really among the most popular, far below LoL and dota, but it's still my favorite and still means a lot to me.

• Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    Tav that is awful.

Chu's co-worker's way of brutally shutting down romantic aspirations with 'not handsome enough for me' seems like an entirely reasonable tactic in the face of such madness. Shut it down, ladies. Before it gets out of hand, shut it down.

Like an illegitimately-conceived child

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    her told her this

This is useful and contributes a lot.

It's the second time I've read it so that's what I'm most hung up on this time

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Yankees may have been the first team to ever lose a series after going up 3-0, but they won't be the last!

#WeComingForYouCleveland

• Options
    Did SCII just have its player base eaten away by other games?

• Options
    I don't trust these giant machines that spit out fresh waffles and pancakes.

It's unnatural.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    right, so

also

lol.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    Did SCII just have its player base eaten away by other games?

basically. it always had small issues, namely that there was a group of would-be fans that wouldn't leave the original game/its expansion Brood War, but it was really very popular in 2010-probably2012. since then every year we lose a little something but this is a big blow.

• Options
    That story reminds me of Craig Feldspar, the wonderfully awful nerd who coveted Lois from afar in Malcolm in the Middle.

Hal and Lois being so crazy for each other was one of the joys of that show. The whole show was pretty great, though.

This discussion has been closed.