As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Pokémon] the SUN and MOON will collide 11/18

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    TamerBill wrote: »
    Rami wrote: »
    I'm bummed I missed out on all the mythical pokémon except for December. Every time I heard about it, it was always ORAS and I didn't realise XY were supported as well.

Also turns out I'm subbed to the US thingy instead of EU, so the codes for the legendary birds they sent out don't work for me either.

It's not all of them, but I have spare copies of Hoopa, Victini, Darkrai, Jirachi and Celebi I can give you.

I'm happy with trade backs to get the dex entries but if you have spares that would be awesome.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Queue up for a quick battle....

Minimize Muk.... Concede.

Well that was fun! Is everyone playing minimize muk or grass field topo regen groups?

alolan muk seemed pretty strong to me, but then again i dunno wtf im doing. not sure what else goes with the minimize team.

It's less about Muk's strength and more about cheap tactics that make it really hard to compete. Anything messing with accuracy/evasion in any pokemon game is very annoying. Elitists tend to ban minimize/sand attack etc., and it's one thing I kinda agree with the elitists about. The only counter to it is running at least one never-miss move, which is boring to have to include on every team.

A common troll Muk has Minimize so it never gets hit, Toxic to badly poison the enemy and wait them out, Screech to greatly lower their defense, and Swagger to greatly raise their attack and confuse them so they hit their own weak selves really hard, and can never hit Muk, all while being poisoned.

Haze is probably a lot more common than accuracy-ignoring moves. Speaking of Haze, Clear Smog is a good move, and nobody mentions it.

PLA on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Despite the fact that l like to breed perfect pokes sometimes, in the past I haven't bothered resetting for legendaries with the right nature, for whatever reason. I guess I figured they would all stay "pristine" and boxed anyway. I just got around to redeeming Meloettas and Arceuses on my X, Y and Sapphire and did the same thing, took what I got.

2 Modest Arceuses and 1 Modest Meloetta! I mean that may not be totally optimal but that's not a bad nature in general. Crazy RNG.

On the other side of things though...recent posts here about hidden ability Snow Warning made me freeze up...turns out I am the proud owner of a perfect Snow Cloak Alolan Vulpix. :( I don't know why I assumed all Alolan Vulpixes would whip up hailstorms. Ability names are too similar. Blah.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    QuantumShaddowQuantumShaddow Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Vahraan wrote: »
    HA Sandshrew and HA Vulpix get, I'm so excited to start getting this team up and running. Hopefully it's good enough without EVs/IVs/Natures to get me the BP I need to buy the items to start those things...

edit: Aw darn! You only get 1 Ice Stone for sure. Others need to be pulled from Poke Pelago. This is gonna take some time.

If you get Isle Aphun in Pelago and upgrade it to Level 2, your mind can bring stones back for you. If you put some beans with it, they return faster too :-)

QuantumShaddow on
    3DS FC: 4441-8382-3645
    Switch: SW-7634-0399-6788

QGqFhNv.png
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Queue up for a quick battle....

Minimize Muk.... Concede.

Well that was fun! Is everyone playing minimize muk or grass field topo regen groups?

alolan muk seemed pretty strong to me, but then again i dunno wtf im doing. not sure what else goes with the minimize team.

It's less about Muk's strength and more about cheap tactics that make it really hard to compete. Anything messing with accuracy/evasion in any pokemon game is very annoying. Elitists tend to ban minimize/sand attack etc., and it's one thing I kinda agree with the elitists about. The only counter to it is running at least one never-miss move, which is boring to have to include on every team.

A common troll Muk has Minimize so it never gets hit, Toxic to badly poison the enemy and wait them out, Screech to greatly lower their defense, and Swagger to greatly raise their attack and confuse them so they hit their own weak selves really hard, and can never hit Muk, all while being poisoned.

Thanks for the ideas Sporky! Its annoying but I tend to not random queue in any game really just ran into a couple in the ones I did do. The Wish/Protect Koala is annoying too.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    IT IS DONE.

Goddamn getting the Shiny Charm is tedious. You have to talk to that guy FIVE TIMES, because you get a stamp for completing each individual island's dex first.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Is there any item more satisfying to see proc than weakness policy?

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    PLA wrote: »
    Haze is probably a lot more common than accuracy-ignoring moves. Speaking of Haze, Clear Smog is a good move, and nobody mentions it.

That's true. But there have been other good moves introduced/changed in recent gens too to help deal with that stuff. Even simple Body Slam!
    Generation VI
    Body Slam now can no longer paralyze Electric-type Pokémon. If the target has used Minimize, Body Slam will now never miss and deal double the damage.

Also, seeing that never-miss moves like Aerial Ace tend to be low power, I would encourage people to look into Technician to power those up. Or No Guard.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Can I save after scanning the QR code if I wanna reset for a good Magearna? Or do I need to save before it?

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I just got my copy of Moon, any weird stuff to know before I start? Weird codes to go get for fancy pokemon?

• Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I just got my copy of Moon, any weird stuff to know before I start? Weird codes to go get for fancy pokemon?

You can get a munchlax via mystery gift that is appropriately leveled for starting the game.

Cutiefly, a bug pokemon on the first island, is really good.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Unfortunately most current promos are still for X/Y/OR/AS, but you can get Magearna with a QR code after you beat the game. The nice thing is that there is no time limit on this, it's not tied to an internet thing, totally internal game systems.

Let's see, weird stuff...hm...there is currently a global contest going on in the Festival Plaza until the 13th to catch 100 million pokemon. We will not make it but you can get a reward anyway just for participating and linking your game with PGL.

When you unlock Pokepelago, upgrade Isle Abeens first because it provides more of the currency to upgrade everything else.

Be sure to choose the best starter. Which shouldn't be hard for you because you already chose the best version of the game.

You can get a munchlax via mystery gift that is appropriately leveled for starting the game.

Oh yeah, these! Get that Munchlax for sure, Happy Hour will make you extremely rich throughout the game and Hold Back will make catching things easy.

And Cutiefly is incredible.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    Also, if you feel like grinding forever, it is technically possible to get a level 10 salamence on the first island.

I wouldn't recommend going through the effort to get one though...

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Hey. Ice Body or Thick Fat for Spheal?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Thick Fat probably.

EDIT: Whoa I didn't see this posted earlier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GglHYtgyc2U

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    So, anyone who doesn't have destiny knot?

They've opened registration for the first competition... entry gets you 50 BP.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Sadly, it's participation in three battles that gets you 50 BP rather than entry. So you won't get that BP until after the competition is over...

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Sadly, it's participation in three battles that gets you 50 BP rather than entry. So if you won't get that BP until after the competition is over...

Boo.

Still worth it, even if you just throw them.

• Options
    The full text describing the event is contained within the spoiler below:
    https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/information/200e0ae6-bd5b-4ca9-8508-ceb361153306

Looks like it's a singles match.
    Pokémon Online Competitions have returned for Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon with the Battle of Alola! In this first tournament to use the new games, naturally the only Pokémon that will be permitted are ones you’ve found in the Alola region. Registration for this tournament has begun, so sign up today. Everyone who participates will receive 50 Battle Points in their game.

Registration for the Battle of Alola Online Competition is now under way. You’ll need a Pokémon Trainer Club account and your own Pokémon Sun or Pokémon Moon video game, with a party of eligible Pokémon. And you’ll need to read and accept the regulations on the Pokémon Global Link (PGL) before the battle period begins on December 16, 2016, at 00:00 UTC.

To sign up, log on to your account from the PGL homepage and then select “Online Competitions” in the main menu. You’ll then be able to read and accept the regulations on the Pokémon Global Link before the battle period begins.

The competition goes from Friday, December 16, at 00:00 UTC, until Sunday, December 18, at 23:59 UTC. Trainers will be limited in the number of battles they can compete in per day. Consult the tournament regulations for details. Play hard and try to reach the top of the leaderboards, which will be posted after the competition ends.

Battle of Alola
    Kicking off a new era of Online Competitions, the Battle of Alola features the Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon games. Create a team using only the Pokémon found in the Alola region. The battles will be Single Battles, and only three of the six Pokémon in your party will enter each battle. All Pokémon will be set to Lv. 50 for the duration of the battle. Plus, items will not be allowed. Good luck in the Battle of Alola!

Sign-Up Period
    Wednesday, December 7, 2016, at 00:00 UTC, through Thursday, December 15, 2016, at 23:59 UTC
    • You must sign up during this period in order to be able to participate in the competition.
    • You may sign up for the competition once per game registered to your PGL account.

Competition Period
    Friday, December 16, 2016, at 00:00 UTC, through Sunday, December 18, 2016, at 23:59 UTC

Participant Limit
    50,000 (limit subject to change; first come, first served)

Participation Gift
    Qualified participants in the Battle of Alola Online Competition will receive 50 Battle Points. To qualify, players must earn a place in the rankings by completing at least three battles.

Age Divisions
    Junior/Senior Division: Born 2002 or later
    Masters Division: Born 2001 or earlier
    • Junior/Senior Division players are limited to playing between 6 A.M. and 11 P.M., based on the easternmost time zone in each player’s country.

Ranking Results Announcement
    December 2016 (announcement time subject to change)

Compatible Games
    Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon

Competition Rules
    • This competition uses Single Battle format.
    • Players may use Ash-Greninja and Pokémon with Alola Pokédex numbers 1–204, 206–288, and 293–299; players are allowed to include one special Pokémon in their Battle Team.
    • Register three to six of your Lv. 1–100 Pokémon to your Battle Team.
    • All Pokémon in this competition will automatically become Lv. 50 for the duration of each match.
    • Three of the Pokémon you register to your Battle Team will be chosen to battle in each match.
    • A 10-minute time limit for each player will automatically be enforced in-game, beginning at the start of each battle. If the outcome has not been determined when the time limit expires, the game will automatically apply tiebreakers to determine a winner.
    • At the beginning of each battle, players have 90 seconds to select three Pokémon with which to battle.
    • At the beginning of each turn, players have 60 seconds to select a move or change the Pokémon in battle. If a player has not made his or her selections at the end of this period, the game will automatically make selections for the player.
    • Players may battle up to 15 games per day of the competition. Any unplayed games will carry over to the following day. A new day begins at 00:00 UTC.
    • For additional details, please come back to check the competition’s regulations page when registration opens.

Participation Requirements
    • A Pokémon Trainer Club membership
    • A wireless Internet connection
    • A Pokémon Sun or Pokémon Moon game with a Game Sync ID registered in the Pokémon Global Link (PGL)
    • The birth date you have registered in your Pokémon Trainer Club account will determine the age division in which you play. If it’s discovered during the competition that your birth-date information is incorrect, you may be disqualified from the competition and future competitions.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    VahraanVahraan Registered User regular
    The full text describing the event is contained within the spoiler below:
    https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/information/200e0ae6-bd5b-4ca9-8508-ceb361153306

Looks like it's a singles match.
    Pokémon Online Competitions have returned for Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon with the Battle of Alola! In this first tournament to use the new games, naturally the only Pokémon that will be permitted are ones you’ve found in the Alola region. Registration for this tournament has begun, so sign up today. Everyone who participates will receive 50 Battle Points in their game.

Registration for the Battle of Alola Online Competition is now under way. You’ll need a Pokémon Trainer Club account and your own Pokémon Sun or Pokémon Moon video game, with a party of eligible Pokémon. And you’ll need to read and accept the regulations on the Pokémon Global Link (PGL) before the battle period begins on December 16, 2016, at 00:00 UTC.

To sign up, log on to your account from the PGL homepage and then select “Online Competitions” in the main menu. You’ll then be able to read and accept the regulations on the Pokémon Global Link before the battle period begins.

The competition goes from Friday, December 16, at 00:00 UTC, until Sunday, December 18, at 23:59 UTC. Trainers will be limited in the number of battles they can compete in per day. Consult the tournament regulations for details. Play hard and try to reach the top of the leaderboards, which will be posted after the competition ends.

Battle of Alola
    Kicking off a new era of Online Competitions, the Battle of Alola features the Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon games. Create a team using only the Pokémon found in the Alola region. The battles will be Single Battles, and only three of the six Pokémon in your party will enter each battle. All Pokémon will be set to Lv. 50 for the duration of the battle. Plus, items will not be allowed. Good luck in the Battle of Alola!

Sign-Up Period
    Wednesday, December 7, 2016, at 00:00 UTC, through Thursday, December 15, 2016, at 23:59 UTC
    • You must sign up during this period in order to be able to participate in the competition.
    • You may sign up for the competition once per game registered to your PGL account.

Competition Period
    Friday, December 16, 2016, at 00:00 UTC, through Sunday, December 18, 2016, at 23:59 UTC

Participant Limit
    50,000 (limit subject to change; first come, first served)

Participation Gift
    Qualified participants in the Battle of Alola Online Competition will receive 50 Battle Points. To qualify, players must earn a place in the rankings by completing at least three battles.

Age Divisions
    Junior/Senior Division: Born 2002 or later
    Masters Division: Born 2001 or earlier
    • Junior/Senior Division players are limited to playing between 6 A.M. and 11 P.M., based on the easternmost time zone in each player’s country.

Ranking Results Announcement
    December 2016 (announcement time subject to change)

Compatible Games
    Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon

Competition Rules
    • This competition uses Single Battle format.
    • Players may use Ash-Greninja and Pokémon with Alola Pokédex numbers 1–204, 206–288, and 293–299; players are allowed to include one special Pokémon in their Battle Team.
    • Register three to six of your Lv. 1–100 Pokémon to your Battle Team.
    • All Pokémon in this competition will automatically become Lv. 50 for the duration of each match.
    • Three of the Pokémon you register to your Battle Team will be chosen to battle in each match.
    • A 10-minute time limit for each player will automatically be enforced in-game, beginning at the start of each battle. If the outcome has not been determined when the time limit expires, the game will automatically apply tiebreakers to determine a winner.
    • At the beginning of each battle, players have 90 seconds to select three Pokémon with which to battle.
    • At the beginning of each turn, players have 60 seconds to select a move or change the Pokémon in battle. If a player has not made his or her selections at the end of this period, the game will automatically make selections for the player.
    • Players may battle up to 15 games per day of the competition. Any unplayed games will carry over to the following day. A new day begins at 00:00 UTC.
    • For additional details, please come back to check the competition’s regulations page when registration opens.

Participation Requirements
    • A Pokémon Trainer Club membership
    • A wireless Internet connection
    • A Pokémon Sun or Pokémon Moon game with a Game Sync ID registered in the Pokémon Global Link (PGL)
    • The birth date you have registered in your Pokémon Trainer Club account will determine the age division in which you play. If it’s discovered during the competition that your birth-date information is incorrect, you may be disqualified from the competition and future competitions.

Do you happen to know what's meant by 1 special mon? I assume it means 1 tapu or ub. Possibly silvally's in that list?

PSN: Gumbotron88 3DS FC: 0018-3695-0013 (Devon)
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    So... someone on GTS put up a Lunala for a Happiny... lolz. Free Lunala get!

(meanwhile still no one takes my Vulpix for Sandshrew trade, but I find one already existing and trade the other way around... because GTS is garbage apparently)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Actually, I think "special" pokemon are the high BST ones like Solgaleo, Lunala and Magearna, so you can bring one of those

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    This generation adds a bunch more abilities and moves that either don't function at all in singles, or would be more effective in doubles. I think that Merciless and Baneful Bunker belong in that category.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I can't get enough Get In the Bag Nebby memes.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I can't get enough Get In the Bag Nebby memes.

https://gfycat.com/BlindEagerLadybug

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    OPINIONS NEEDED:

Who should I put my leftovers on:

A Roost, Multiscale Dragonite?

or

A Morning Sun, Toxic Solgaleo?

And after that what do I put on the other one? A rocky helmet maybe? A balloon on Solgaleo? Some other idea that's super obvious and I just don't know anything?

• Options
    Does Dragonite have any good priority moves? Because Weakness Policy seems fun with Multiscale.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Leftovers seems good for the Dragonite. I guess in practice you'd have to see if Roost and Leftovers are enough to keep him capped often.
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Does Dragonite have any good priority moves? Because Weakness Policy seems fun with Multiscale.

Dragonite gets Extreme Speed which is pretty great (+2 even).

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Regarding "dump stats" aka ones that aren't relevant for a particular Pokemon. Should I just assume whatever the nature is reducing is a safe one to ignore? For example on an adamant Pokemon if I don't want to walk for perfect 6 IVs, is it appropriate to just go with one that has speed as the weak stat?

• Options
    Regarding "dump stats" aka ones that aren't relevant for a particular Pokemon. Should I just assume whatever the nature is reducing is a safe one to ignore? For example on an adamant Pokemon if I don't want to walk for perfect 6 IVs, is it appropriate to just go with one that has speed as the weak stat?

On adamant, special attack is the reduced one that you would ignore.

Generally speaking, broadly across all pokemon, most people consider only the natures that reduce attack or special attack to be good natures, except in very specific circumstances. Because it's easy to peg a pokemon as an attack/special attacker only, and just plan a build that only uses those moves. Every other stat is always potentially useful. And natures are fairly easy to fiddle with and breed around, so there's no reason to take an HP-reducing or def-reducing nature.

The only time you'd want less speed is for a pokemon you intend to take advantage of Trick Room, which makes the slowest first and the fastest last. But in those cases you're not ignoring speed either, you're specifically trying to breed a 0 IV for it.

So yeah, generally the only stats you would be safe to totally ignore are attack or special attack, depending on the pokemon.

• Options
    That makes sense. I looked at the wrong line at the chart I had. I think in the interest of not spending an exorbitant amount of time running up and down by the ranch I am going to go that route.

Thanks

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Turambar wrote: »
    Actually, I think "special" pokemon are the high BST ones like Solgaleo, Lunala and Magearna, so you can bring one of those

Which is garbage. The event's just gonna be completely stale with every team being 100% legendaries. Pick a box legend and then stock up on tapus and ultra beasts.

I'm tired from last year where everything was primals + genies 24/7.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Il5a19C.png

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    So there was an egg waiting for me last night. I had forgotten to take out the salamandit and went to do other stuff. The egg hatched into a female too. So that was 3 in a row there after 20+ males. That RNG.

Don't forget to get a Rockruff too!

• Options
    A slow pokemon that's never going to be fast enough to do anything with it might as well be as slow as possible to at least dodge a Payback or mess Aegislash the HECKf UP.

But the ideal is to predict what everybody else is going to use, and put 1 more Speed on your own.

• Options
    Are there any other competitive resources aside from smogon? Was trying to read up on double battles but I haven't found much regarding the alolan introductions. Most center around trick room, a few megas, and some weather stuff.

I think I understand where some of this stuff is going, and I can accept the Pokemon i want to use may be lower tier, just not quite sure even how to make them work let alone coherently. For example I have my IV/EV and move ready salazzle or sandslash. The latter would seem to lend itself toward a hail based team (if I had the HA that is), but not really sure where else to take things.

I made a list of alola Dex Pokemon that I was interested in and ended up with
    Salazzle
    Golisopod
    Sandslash
    Dragonite
    Bewear
    Passimian
    Turtonator
    Kommo-o
    Rockford
    Mimikyu
    Gengar
    Muk
    Marowak

Not a huge list and as mentioned I'm not really sure (since I have zero experience) what I should even be looking for in a team for this format.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    I think nuggetbridge talks about doubles more, but I think a lot of them have closed lips at the moment to protect their super secret Alolan strategies.

For singles you generally don't use pokemon that are weak to to rock because stealth rocks are broken.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    I don't think there is a big doubles community like there is for singles. Nugget bridge forums only have a couple people saying anything, and /r/stunfisk doesn't have much going on either. You may be able to find some youtube videos but even then it would probably be hard to sift out all the videos of people just reposting the trailers. It's a shame because doubles is pretty much way more balanced and far more pokemon are usually viable, aside from the primal year. Personally I think tapu koko is going to be a little meta warping this year, but it can be ohko'd if something actually gets to hit it.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    I don't think there is a big doubles community like there is for singles. Nugget bridge forums only have a couple people saying anything, and /r/stunfisk doesn't have much going on either. You may be able to find some youtube videos but even then it would probably be hard to sift out all the videos of people just reposting the trailers. It's a shame because doubles is pretty much way more balanced and far more pokemon are usually viable, aside from the primal year. Personally I think tapu koko is going to be a little meta warping this year, but it can be ohko'd if something actually gets to hit it.

Is this assuming legendaries/mythical/whatever's are banned? I ask because the championship teams seem very same-y to me as an outsider.

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »

Is this assuming legendaries/mythical/whatever's are banned? I ask because the championship teams seem very same-y to me as an outsider.

seems a lot like magic the gathering to me. a handful of people figure stuff out, then everyone just copies it. They probably all just hack those pokes into their game too, letting them put in zero effort for a highly competitive team. kinda lame if you ask me.

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843