As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BEER] The Lacing on This Thread is Breathtaking. Mouthfeel

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    20161204_141016_zpsuctd70np.jpg

It's all gone...

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Deadfall wrote: »
    So my Belgian Porter I brewed at that fest turned out....

Terrible. Like it has this weird smoky flavor and no taste backbone. I think it was too cold in my house to properly ferment the Belgian yeast.

So sadly I dumped it.

BUT

I am currently brewing Hans Brewber Egg Nog Stout that should be ready for Christmas that I will drink while watching my favorite Christmas movie Die Hard.

I'm reposting this because I'm too proud of Hans Brewber for it to be buried on the last page.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    My Imperial Stout I brewed up in February has turned out Poorly. It bums me out because it's the perfect time for an Imperial Stout, and it cost me like $100 in ingredients for a 5 gallon batch. I don't think it fermented all the way through and has ended up WAY too sweet.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I've been reading so much about brewing anticipating this project with my step brother.

I'm at the point where we just need to put together on ingredients though.

I'm at kinda a cross road here though because we could use less honey to start and let it end dry then backsweeten it. Advantage being, being able to adjust to taste.

Or just use more honey to start with and hopefully the yeast stops when it reaches its tolerance level letting it finish with residual sugar. Advantage being less fussing with it before aging it.

Either way it works out to a similar amount of honey though so...

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Does anyone have any experience with the Shipyard Monkey Fist IPA? I'm going to be buying some kegs for Christmas, and I'm definitely considering a 30L of this due to it's price point.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Happy Prohibition Repeal Day!

BEER FACT:
    The first legal bottle of beer post-prohibition was sold by Abner Drury Brewery and delivered to President Roosevelt on April 14 1933.

Also well well well....

vbvEESo.jpg

Santa came early with bonus gifts.
    @Noisymunk

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular

BEER FACT:
    The first legal bottle of beer post-prohibition was sold by Abner Drury Brewery and delivered to President Roosevelt on April 14 1933.

Also well well well....

vbvEESo.jpg

@Noisymunk

Still sad about the change to the Mad Elf label.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I need Mad Elf!

• Options
    Gonna save that one.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    edited December 2016

BEER FACT:

Also well well well....

vbvEESo.jpg

@Noisymunk

Oh good, everything survived the trip.
    BlueJacket Brewery is a stones throw from my apartment, they brew a lot of different beers, you can only buy bottles at the brewery, and they only sell 750ml bottles. I had that Bone Machine Triple IPA last time I was in there for dinner and it was delicious. If anyone's ever in the district, it's an easy walk off the Navy Yard metro stop - which is not far at all from L'enfant/Smithsonian area - and I highly recommend going there to taste some of their brews. They offer a wide selection of styles - nearly 2 dozen on tap, and 4 casks that always have something different going on. I had a cask finished sour brown ale there that was out of this world.

Potter's Craft Cider - we discovered this cidery at a beer festival being held inside Nationals Park. Very dry, and the barrel finish on this one brings it close to Chardonnay territory. Serve with a nice meal.

DC Brau - Brau Pils. DC Brau is the first District brewery of the modern craft beer renaissance. I really wanted to find their Wings of Armageddon double IPA, but it's a seasonal release and has disappeared from shelves. I decided on the Pils so I could include a lager and something less hop forward than the Triple IPA and IPA in the box.

Old Ox Rye Porter and Center of the Universe's Pocahoptas IPA were my mystery selections. I grabbed the porter because I needed to include a dark beer, and Ashburn VA is north of Dulles airport. Pocahoptas has a great label and Center of the Universe brewing is on the outskirts of Richmond, VA. I bought a can of each for myself as well - I liked 'em.

Mad Elf - Well it's Elf season around here. I lived here in the DC area for a bit, and in 2012 moved to New England for a while and now I'm back - and apparently Troegs has become a big deal (and there are SO MANY breweries). I guess the move to a bigger space near Hershey Theme Park in Pennsylvania was good for business. We're drowning in Mad Elf. There's big displays at Whole Foods and everything. It'll make your cheeks rosy, that's for sure. I like to let it get warm so the alcohol heat comes through. It's like some kind of unholy union between a braggot, a bubblegummy tripel, and a strong ale.

Rogue swag courtesy of the good folks in Newport Oregon.

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    Had the Black Ox rye porter last night in honor of Repeal Day.

Coffee, chocolate, smooth with rye spice on the end. It was delicious.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Had the Black Ox rye porter last night in honor of Repeal Day.

Coffee, chocolate, smooth with rye spice on the end. It was delicious.

After tasting that, I want to brew one. I was thinking about doing a porter once I bang out the two ambers, chai winter warmer, and black IPA that I planned. Maybe instead of the black IPA I'll do a porter with a dose of rye malt using the other half pack of US-05 from the Amber.

edit: Oooo a rye porter with a pinch of smoked malt...hmm.

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    Hawkstone wrote: »

BEER FACT:

Also well well well....

vbvEESo.jpg

@Noisymunk

I've liked pretty much every new label design that Troegs has debuted this year except this one.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    last weekend my girlfriend and I got holiday boxes from the local beer specialty shop, with 12 hidden beers of a given category

she almost got the cider box, but then decided to be adventurous and went for their sour selection, and she's pretty enthusiastic about it so far

I got the dark box, which has been all pretty solid stouts and porters so far

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Hawkstone wrote: »

BEER FACT:

Also well well well....

vbvEESo.jpg

@Noisymunk

I've liked pretty much every new label design that Troegs has debuted this year except this one.

I like that bottle design, dogfishhead has been using it for a while. I wish I could get a 24 pack of those for my homebrew. Hell I'd pay a decent amount for the embossed logo, too.

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I picked up this pack after a night drinking Deschuttes at trivia.

I hate my phone. Its a 5 pack of oddside beers with a glass. I might take a picture with my tablet later since i can make pictures show up from there.

Magell on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Magell wrote: »

seems kinda small to me, idk

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Magell wrote: »

seems kinda small to me, idk

CURSES!

• Options
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Doooope!

Hey, do they still have that one offensive and off-puttingly-titled beer that they make? Cause my friend loves Odd Side but I was like "Whoa not cool."

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited December 2016

Had Mother of all Storms and it was amazing.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Doooope!

Hey, do they still have that one offensive and off-puttingly-titled beer that they make? Cause my friend loves Odd Side but I was like "Whoa not cool."

I haven't seen it. I'm pretty sure they got rid of it. Bean Flicker is the most offensive beer title I know of from them. It's also one of my favorite beers.

Magell on
  • Options
    It was called Me So Hoppy To Wheat You. /shrug

Anyway the beers of theirs I tried were rad.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    It was called Me So Hoppy To Wheat You. /shrug

Anyway the beers of theirs I tried were rad.

Yeah, they got rid of that. They are generally pretty solid beers. I haven't seen a big selection of their beers in northern michigan though. Pretty much just Bean Flicker and Citra although they have a pretty shitty price point compared to other Michigan beers so I'm not real keen on them.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Had Bagby Hop Whompus at lunch. Pretty damn solid red.

Also, got a taste of Modern Times Barrel Aged Devil's Teeth. That was just devine.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I picked up some Xocoveza after reading so many good things about it here.

It's really good.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    I haven't found it anywhere in Southern Alberta yet... =(

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »
    I picked up some Xocoveza after reading so many good things about it here.

It's really good.

Has anyone tried Xocorosa, the ice cream pairing? Looks like my local Whole Foods has it

Currently drinking New Belgium Ben and Jerry's Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ale and eating Ben and Jerry's Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ice cream

This beer tastes nothing like cookie dough, but hey

• Options
    Had some Sagefight IIPA from Deschutes last night while inhaling dumplings. Also had a Siren collaboration with Casita Cervecería and Beavertown called Amigos Britanicos. It was... Not bad but not good. Like if you
    wanted a Corona with a little more nuance and no stank aftertaste. You could taste the lime and chile a bit, although it wasn't spicy. And it was nowhere near a farmhouse ale.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Y'know, as much as I adore Xocoveza, I'm actually thinking that Summit Brewing's Dark Infusion Coffee Milk Stout is my beer of choice for this winter.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    All right. In the last month I ended up with:'

36 - Goose Island's Bourbon County Stout
    10 - Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Stout
    6 - Bell's Black Note 2016
    2 - Epic's Big Bad Baptist
    2 - Epic's Big Bad Baptiste (It's the same as above, with cinnamon?)

I will buy anything labeled a bourbon barrel aged beer.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    All right. In the last month I ended up with:'

36 - Goose Island's Bourbon County Stout
    10 - Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Stout
    6 - Bell's Black Note 2016
    2 - Epic's Big Bad Baptist
    2 - Epic's Big Bad Baptiste (It's the same as above, with cinnamon?)

I will buy anything labeled a bourbon barrel aged beer.

Then you should be happy to know Founder'so is doing a barrel aged series next year. 3 of the six are new ones it looks like from the teasers I've seen.

• Options
    I think I have everything together to send out my beer. Sorry it took so long!

Of course, I haven't received anything yet either.

• Options
    I got a bottle of Yamazaki 12 Year in the mail today.

The card that was included had a cryptic phrase written on it that Google translate doesn't want to work with.

I asked the most likely suspects and none of them said they'd ordered it for me so I'm really confused now.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Starting my homebrew project on Monday!

• Options
    New Belgium must have tweaked the recipe for Chocolate chip cookie dough ale because last year I found it mediocre

But now it is delicious.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    New Belgium must have tweaked the recipe for Chocolate chip cookie dough ale because last year I found it mediocre

But now it is delicious.

From my googling, last year it wasn't cookie dough, it was based on another flavor

I'm not sure I "get" it though, it doesn't taste anything like cookie dough? It tastes fine, but like what you'd expect an amber ale to taste like

I'm usually more of a whiskey or cider guy, so I may not have the palate for it

• Options
    Figured out who gifted me the whiskey.

Unexpected but welcome gift. It's quite delicious.

• Options
    Jimothy wrote: »

But now it is delicious.

From my googling, last year it wasn't cookie dough, it was based on another flavor

I'm not sure I "get" it though, it doesn't taste anything like cookie dough? It tastes fine, but like what you'd expect an amber ale to taste like

I'm usually more of a whiskey or cider guy, so I may not have the palate for it

Well whatever it is it's delicious

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Abyss release is on Friday.

I might have the day off.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX