Options

[Stranger Things] The Rollerskate Of Justice (Season 4 OPEN SPOILERS)

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Despite all the hype, I just found it okay. Not a bad show though, its a nice homage to 80s movies.
    I did like how they subverted expectations with Steve a lot. Instead of having the popular guy that picks on the nerd turn out to be nothing but a selfish jerk behind all his charisma, he's actually likable and more of a real person than that.

Glad they didn't kill him off. I'm actually rooting for him more than Johnathan who is about as interesting as a rock.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Yeah Steve was the best because
    ]he was popular in high school so clearly he's going to have some cockiness and entitledness but he was relatively justified any time he crosses any lines and in the end came through

I liked him.

But I agree while the show was really good it was a tad overrated. The writing was a bit forced at times when characters had inter group drama

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I actually really liked Jonathan's character. I grew up around a lot of guys like that and the script/actor totally nailed it.

His protectiveness of his family, his unromantic assumption of responsibility for everything, how he seemed totally ignored by all of the adults, the cynical aloofness and simmering anger issues, even the homemade haircut and the slouch. It was all basically spot-on.

EDITed out an unmarked spoiler, sorry.

Duffel on
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Jonathan is fine as a character, but
    Nancy better not start dating him in S2, that would be embarrassingly and unbearably cliche

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I was at Toronto's Fan Expo this past weekend, and the Stranger Things costumes were out in force. I snapped at least 2 great ones, and I heard from friends that there were others to be found, but as I was camping in our booth for most of it, I just snapped pics of those that came by me.
    ns39uva3uzjx.jpg
    wpqcj0dr4ddl.jpg

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I love the deadpool in the 2nd one as well. Damn good costumes all around.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    Nancy better not start dating him in S2, that would be embarrassingly and unbearably cliche

The twist is
    Steve leaves Nancy for Jonathan

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »

The twist is
    Steve leaves Nancy for Jonathan

Go on

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    I enjoyed the show greatly. SPOILERS, unordered thoughts.

I did not enjoy Winona Ryder's overacting until she pulled herself together in Ep6.

The kids were some of the best ensemble child actors I've seen. Even the recurring bullies were great.

I thought, of all damn people, Steve was the best realised character with the most well-done development. I really liked him. Sure he made some dick moves, but they felt just about justifiable and he learned and grew from them. I would prefer Nancy stay with him and the show resist the cliched path of putting her with Jonathan. I'd rather J become a cool loner vigilante.

I found it incredibly jarring how nobody suspected Jonathan of killing Barbara. Real idiot-ball episode. I mean, gee - do you think the guy hiding in the bushes taking pictures of her in the middle of the night literally moments before her death might be a person of interest with regards to her murder? No? Anybody? Made worse by Nancy finding the pictures and then immediately traipsing into the very same woods with him in the middle of the night, I mean come on,

Hopper was the coolest character, just awesome. I feel like his background may be relevant in S2.

I see a lot of talk comparing this show comparing it to The Goonies, ET etc - but to me the single biggest influence is surely Stephen King's IT. A group of kids coming of age together to take down an eldritch horror. They even make a reference to a slingshot being useless against the monster!

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    everyone talkin shit on wynona rider for this has never seen a mom lose her kid at a fuckin supermarket much less have one for real abducted

this is pretty much exactly how my mother would act

maybe a few of you have moms with different temperaments but I assure you it's legit

if it made you feel anxious or annoyed or uncomfortable, trust me, dealing with someone who is a ball of anxiety and worry and frenzied emotion has that effect on the people around them

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Yeah Wynona Rider was amazing.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    I felt her acting was ok to see or to hear but not both together. Her voice didn't match her body or something

616610-1.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I never understood the criticsm of her "overacting" because she was frantic and neurotic and doing wierd shit to keep her hopes up.

It happens like that. Like, pretty much exactly like that. It was a pitch-perfect representation.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »
    I felt her acting was ok to see or to hear but not both together. Her voice didn't match her body or something

This is probably the wierdest critique I think Ive ever read.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »

I did not enjoy Winona Ryder's overacting until she pulled herself together in Ep6.

The kids were some of the best ensemble child actors I've seen. Even the recurring bullies were great.

I thought, of all damn people, Steve was the best realised character with the most well-done development. I really liked him. Sure he made some dick moves, but they felt just about justifiable and he learned and grew from them. I would prefer Nancy stay with him and the show resist the cliched path of putting her with Jonathan. I'd rather J become a cool loner vigilante.

I found it incredibly jarring how nobody suspected Jonathan of killing Barbara. Real idiot-ball episode. I mean, gee - do you think the guy hiding in the bushes taking pictures of her in the middle of the night literally moments before her death might be a person of interest with regards to her murder? No? Anybody? Made worse by Nancy finding the pictures and then immediately traipsing into the very same woods with him in the middle of the night, I mean come on,

Hopper was the coolest character, just awesome. I feel like his background may be relevant in S2.

I see a lot of talk comparing this show comparing it to The Goonies, ET etc - but to me the single biggest influence is surely Stephen King's IT. A group of kids coming of age together to take down an eldritch horror. They even make a reference to a slingshot being useless against the monster!

Re: Barb:
    No one in the town thought she was dead. First she was "missing", then after a day or so in-universe State Patrol "found" her car at a bus terminal. Brenner/Hawkins Lab had State Patrol make it look like she ran away. Yes, the core cast knows she's dead by the end, but there was never a point where the police or general public had time to believe that she was dead, let alone to blame Jonathan for it.

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Finally managed to finish it last week. Damn what a great show. That soundtrack was something else too.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I love the deadpool in the 2nd one as well. Damn good costumes all around.

Yeah, the whole weekend is full of great costumes. There's a huge uptick on Saturday because that's when the masquerade/competition is held, but it's also the busiest day, making it difficult to get enough good pics.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Houn wrote: »

No one in the town thought she was dead. First she was "missing", then after a day or so in-universe State Patrol "found" her car at a bus terminal. Brenner/Hawkins Lab had State Patrol make it look like she ran away. Yes, the core cast knows she's dead by the end, but there was never a point where the police or general public had time to believe that she was dead, let alone to blame Jonathan for it.
    Nancy was pretty convinced she was dead or abducted... And plot-wise, Nancy's the important one.

• Options

Nancy was pretty convinced she was dead or abducted... And plot-wise, Nancy's the important one.

Nancy:
    Didn't really have time to go there, either. First, Barb didn't show up to school, so after school she went to Steve's to find her and found her car, but that's also when she first saw the Demogorgon. Before she even had time to get around to "stalker dude kidnapped her", she saw the monster.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular

Also, the whole series takes place over the course of about a week. "Person who ran away still missing less than a week later" isn't exactly huge news.

• Options

Nancy:
    Didn't really have time to go there, either. First, Barb didn't show up to school, so after school she went to Steve's to find her and found her car, but that's also when she first saw the Demogorgon. Before she even had time to get around to "stalker dude kidnapped her", she saw the monster.
    Hmm... Well, you make fair points, but I just don't buy it. To me, "stalker dude who was definitely there in the bushes" would be my first assumption. At the very least, it would give me pause, given the far-fetched alternative. To me it just didn't seem consistent with how perceptive / savvy she otherwise proved to be, and the outline of the monster in the photo was far from conclusive.

• Options

Nancy:
    Hmm... Well, you make fair points, but I just don't buy it. To me, "stalker dude who was definitely there in the bushes" would be my first assumption. At the very least, it would give me pause, given the far-fetched alternative. To me it just didn't seem consistent with how perceptive / savvy she otherwise proved to be, and the outline of the monster in the photo was far from conclusive.

More Nancy
    That's fair, but as presented, I don't think Nancy would have jumped to that. She was worried, yes, but not ready to admit Barb was truly missing after a single day. She called Barb's house, her mother confirmed Barb never came home. At this point, Nancy was probably going over nightmare scenarios in her head, but rather than dwell in them, she went to go investigate, and found the car and monster.

No time to get any drama in over false accusations; her natural drive to seek the truth on her own led her right to the true culprit immediately, even if she didn't understand what the hell she had seen.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    rockrnger wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    One thing I couldn't tell was how much of what the government guys were up to was sanctioned.

Seemed like a lot.
    Seeing how they were going to kill some Eurasian dude way off in the Soviet Union.

I mean, I think she was going to kill him. It didn't seem like "No, just listen in on him share the nuclear launch codes with his book club."

I disagree.
    Pretty clear they're just using her to spy on the Russians. The first time they have her listen to a guy, Brenner has to assure her she's not going to have to hurt anyone. They're strictly using her for intelligence gathering.

Huh.
    It seemed different the actual time we saw her approaching someone in the Twisting Nether/whatever the hell it was.

I also thought they had her actively practicing harming people, or otherwise developing the capability. But I could be imagining that.
    One thing I couldn't tell was how much of what the government guys were up to was sanctioned.

Seemed like a lot.
    Seeing how they were going to kill some Eurasian dude way off in the Soviet Union.

I mean, I think she was going to kill him. It didn't seem like "No, just listen in on him share the nuclear launch codes with his book club."
    That doesn't mean they weren't off the reservation tho.

It seems like if it was more on the up and up they would have just arrested people rather than killing everyone.
    Were they actively killing government officials in the USSR, realistically it would've been very difficult to keep that secret from the rest from "the reservation", even if the Soviets never told the Americans or anyone else it was happening.

But this is a work of fiction...
    Oh sure, I'm talking like "hey Washington. Yeah......we broke reality apart. Should we start killing the locals?"

Or was the bad guy trying to keep the whole thing from getting back to them.

I assumed...
    They had permission to try and clean up the mess. They weren't actively obliterating the town (they didn't kill Hopper, for example, despite his rather grievous trespass against them), just faking the suicide of one guy who seemed like something of a nobody.

Plus it seems like, as an institution, they survived--or at least they weren't actively purged for their failure. Iran-Contra and all that.

I could be forgetting if more people were actively hunted down by them though.

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular

Seemed like a lot.

I disagree.
    Pretty clear they're just using her to spy on the Russians. The first time they have her listen to a guy, Brenner has to assure her she's not going to have to hurt anyone. They're strictly using her for intelligence gathering.

Huh.
    It seemed different the actual time we saw her approaching someone in the Twisting Nether/whatever the hell it was.

I also thought they had her actively practicing harming people, or otherwise developing the capability. But I could be imagining that.

Seemed like a lot.

It seems like if it was more on the up and up they would have just arrested people rather than killing everyone.
    Were they actively killing government officials in the USSR, realistically it would've been very difficult to keep that secret from the rest from "the reservation", even if the Soviets never told the Americans or anyone else it was happening.

Oh sure, I'm talking like "hey Washington. Yeah......we broke reality apart. Should we start killing the locals?"

I assumed...
    They had permission to try and clean up the mess. They weren't actively obliterating the town (they didn't kill Hopper, for example, despite his rather grievous trespass against them), just faking the suicide of one guy who seemed like something of a nobody.

Plus it seems like, as an institution, they survived--or at least they weren't actively purged for their failure. Iran-Contra and all that.

As you say it's hard to say if the writers just didn't think about it but if you have official backing it would seem like they would have evacuated the town.

I mean, you got a DoE facility. Oops radiation, everyone get out and start bringing tanks and soldiers in.

• Options

Seemed like a lot.

I disagree.

Huh.

Seemed like a lot.

I assumed...

As you say it's hard to say if the writers just didn't think about it but if you have official backing it would seem like they would have evacuated the town.

I mean, you got a DoE facility. Oops radiation, everyone get out and start bringing tanks and soldiers in.

True, I'd never considered how easy the entire town could've probably been evacuated.
    Maybe the facility directors were way overly optimistic on how quickly they could 1) recover Eleven and 2) hunt down and kill the creature, or at least destroy all of its portals, and that both the facility and their actual government backers (or the Energy Department) could reopen and they could go back to frying the brains of Soviet government employees (or just eavesdropping on them). It's a fairly isolated facility and did seem enormously expensive, so potentially this was seen as a "more efficient" if riskier solution (especially if the facility severely downplayed the failure on their part.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016

Seemed like a lot.

I disagree.

Huh.

Seemed like a lot.

I assumed...

True, I'd never considered how easy the entire town could've probably been evacuated.
    Maybe the facility directors were way overly optimistic on how quickly they could 1) recover Eleven and 2) hunt down and kill the creature, or at least destroy all of its portals, and that both the facility and their actual government backers (or the Energy Department) could reopen and they could go back to frying the brains of Soviet government employees (or just eavesdropping on them). It's a fairly isolated facility and did seem enormously expensive, so potentially this was seen as a "more efficient" if riskier solution (especially if the facility severely downplayed the failure on their part.
    I would assume a town-wide evacuation would be a great way to lose Eleven in the chaos.

Besides the monster was never shown to be that big of a threat.

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus

Nancy:

I dunno.
    J as a person of interest, sure, I'll buy it. J as suspect, though? There was nothing about his character to suggest he was violent or dangerous, just a little weird. Taking photos is creepy, but still not indicative of murder. Also consider that this was 30 years ago, when the default assumption was not that every person in the world is potentially a psycho killer and we should freak out about everything all the time.

I was rather glad they avoided the trope of "weird but totally nice guy is accused of a heinous crime he didn't commit."

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »

Nancy:

I dunno.
    J as a person of interest, sure, I'll buy it. J as suspect, though? There was nothing about his character to suggest he was violent or dangerous, just a little weird. Taking photos is creepy, but still not indicative of murder. Also consider that this was 30 years ago, when the default assumption was not that every person in the world is potentially a psycho killer and we should freak out about everything all the time.

I was rather glad they avoided the trope of "weird but totally nice guy is accused of a heinous crime he didn't commit."

yeah we didn't have time for that shit anyway with 8 episodes

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Evacuating the town probably would have lost them Eleven, from what we saw it wasn't like they had tight control over the area in any event, much less during a mass evacuation. Eleven made her grocery run without being nabbed, so this wasn't one of the King style agencies that have near infinite resources and have every building in town wired for sound and video from the get go. They have resources and can get manpower, but all of that's constrained by everything taking place over a week.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    daveNYC wrote: »
    Evacuating the town probably would have lost them Eleven, from what we saw it wasn't like they had tight control over the area in any event, much less during a mass evacuation. Eleven made her grocery run without being nabbed, so this wasn't one of the King style agencies that have near infinite resources and have every building in town wired for sound and video from the get go. They have resources and can get manpower, but all of that's constrained by everything taking place over a week.

I'm starting to think...
    ...the one guy who was "suicided" was probably done so rashly, considered how they handled Hopper and others. Granted, it's a lot easier to "suicide" a lone diner owner than a town sheriff, but perhaps they came prepared to execute him assuming they'd find Eleven and that would be the end of it, then decided not to deviate from the plan.

They didn't kill anyone else in the cover up, did they?

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Zampanov wrote: »
    everyone talkin shit on wynona rider for this has never seen a mom lose her kid at a fuckin supermarket much less have one for real abducted

this is pretty much exactly how my mother would act

maybe a few of you have moms with different temperaments but I assure you it's legit

if it made you feel anxious or annoyed or uncomfortable, trust me, dealing with someone who is a ball of anxiety and worry and frenzied emotion has that effect on the people around them

on top of that she's being told she's crazy when she knows she isn't, which is enough to drive a normal person nuts even if it's just gaslighting about mundane shit and not a missing kid

override367 on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Diner owner:
    It seemed to be me the CIA goons had no fucking idea what they were doing and were just making it up as they went along, they were in over their heads just as much as the kids were

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

Nancy:

I dunno.

I think there's a decent chance they originally wrote a plot arc where J was fingered for killing Barb, then it got rightfully cut as not part of the story they got moving. Everything was set up to possibly go that direction, then someone said, "Hang on, J and Nancy end up on the same side monster hunting very shortly after. Rather than going around in a circle where J is accused and then has to redeem himself, let's just ingratiate him more directly with Nancy and skip that particular twist.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Diner owner:
    It seemed to be me the CIA goons had no fucking idea what they were doing and were just making it up as they went along, they were in over their heads just as much as the kids were
    My assumption was Dr. Brenner was either just running a secret project that the bigwigs weren't really paying that much attention to, or he was actually off the reservation and running something outside the scope of what he was supposed to be doing. Just because spooks work in the same building doesn't mean they actually know what the other is doing. And the resources that were being made available to the recovery team seemed to go up as time went on, so maybe higher levels of supervision were getting involved.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Nancy:

I dunno.

I think there's a decent chance they originally wrote a plot arc where J was fingered for killing Barb, then it got rightfully cut as not part of the story they got moving. Everything was set up to possibly go that direction, then someone said, "Hang on, J and Nancy end up on the same side monster hunting very shortly after. Rather than going around in a circle where J is accused and then has to redeem himself, let's just ingratiate him more directly with Nancy and skip that particular twist.
    I was SO GLAD they didn't do that! I was so dreading the whole "OH HE DID IT wait he didn't he's a good guy!" cliché

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    Diner owner:
    Yeah that was what did it for me.

Guy is bending over backward to buy their story and they shoot him to keep the horrible secret that....... There was a runaway girl.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Diner owner:

Guy is bending over backward to buy their story and they shoot him to keep the horrible secret that....... There was a runaway girl.
    And what if he calls back next week to check on her and social services says they never picked her up? Or what if the local paper decides to run a human interest/good Samaritan story (remember this is a town where nothing happens) and his description of a pre-adoscelent girl in a hospital gown with a fucking number tattoo gets circulated? On the whole, Brenner and his mooks were really incompetent at cover-ups and had shockingly little respect for the abilities of a psychic weapon, but I think that was a reasonable way to tie up loose ends if they had been able to capture her.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    regarding Diner Owner v. Hopper
    i think they killed the owner because he had direct contact with 11. I think Hopper was "safe" because he was investigating oddities but wasn't aware of their special project.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Diner owner:

Because what happens when the actual person who took his call shows up?

• Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    Not sure if this got posted yet but the Department of Energy wrote up a blogpost saying they are not "evil" :P
    http://energy.gov/articles/what-stranger-things-didn-t-get-quite-so-right-about-energy-department
    Spoilers in the link I think