Options

[Hearthstone] THIS THREAD IS EXTINCT! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Maybe I'm just being pessimistic, but my initial impression is that the rank floors won't really have much of an effect on the game. It'll cut down slightly on the average number of wins across players who push for 10/5/legendary in a season, but I just don't see the vision of a more open meta appearing in general. We will probably see a few more wacky decks being played at the floors by people who are done ranking for the season (which they can still do now anyway...), but people trying to push 14-10, 9-5, 4-legend are still generally going to be netdecking the best meta decks they can put together.

I dunno.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    rank floors have always just been a feel-good thing

overwatch has "rank" floors for your number in competitive but your MMR still adjusts so you can be a gold playing with and against bronzes if you lose enough

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    Maybe I'm just being pessimistic, but my initial impression is that the rank floors won't really have much of an effect on the game. It'll cut down slightly on the average number of wins across players who push for 10/5/legendary in a season, but I just don't see the vision of a more open meta appearing in general. We will probably see a few more wacky decks being played at the floors by people who are done ranking for the season (which they can still do now anyway...), but people trying to push 14-10, 9-5, 4-legend are still generally going to be netdecking the best meta decks they can put together.

I dunno.

The one good thing that will help newbies to allow them to reach 15 without having to wade through all the tryhards farming them once they clear the level 20 barrier.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    as long as it means once I hit 5 I can't fall to 8 like I did this season it's a fantastic change. the little bumps along the ways will be helpful too.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Eviscerated my Auctioneer instead of Cold Blooding it, won anyway.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

I dunno.

rank floors are extremely important at rank 5 to keep you tilting hard and getting bad/luck matchups

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    The math on rank floors has been done and the one number I remember is this: if you have a sliding winrate, starting at 85% at rank 20 and ending at 55% at rank 1 then it takes 300 something games to legend (on average), I think 330 or so. The floors shave off 8 games (again, on average).

Two caveats: this doesn't account for people playing off-meta decks at the floors and handing out free wins. And the worse your winrate is to begin with, the more you save. If you grind to legend with a consistent 51% winrate you can save a couple hundred games probably.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »

I dunno.

The one good thing that will help newbies to allow them to reach 15 without having to wade through all the tryhards farming them once they clear the level 20 barrier.
    Explain?

• Options
    CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular

I dunno.

Explain?
    I guess the idea is that you can't go for a higher season reward and also farm rank 20, because the floors keep you from deliberately dropping your rank that far.
    I dunno though. I don't think the season rewards are actually worth enough that dedicated farmers wouldn't willingly forgo them.

• Options
    JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    So, if yer opponent has no burn spells. druid can have an interesting combo.

Wisps of the old gods, Dark Whisperers, power of the wild x2, pilfered power = 1 8x8, 6 3x3s with 7 crystals given. All for 17 life!

If you are warlock and get lucky by turn 10, you can get leeroy, 2 power overwhelmings, faceless Manipulater for a 28 pt swing. I pulled that off once and the opponent, after the brawl, friended me to say that was crazy shennanigans.

Jakarrd on
    Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    How are you getting to turn 10? Every brawl I played ended by turn 4, most on turn 2.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I know this brawl is really dumb, but it's actually pretty complex in terms of deckbuilding and play, in particular how to mulligan. I learned some simple stuff early, like hold off on your card draw if you have an Illusionist in hand, since you probably can't kill your opponent before T3 anyways even if you draw. (Depending on your hand.)

Also Yilias, I've had games go to turn 10. It can just happen if both players draw like shit or decide to remove board threats. I.e. with a mage, you might just draw your Illusionists and Armors and be forced to burn enemy minions or whatnot.

hippofant on
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    I'm probably not the first on this but I like Kabal Lackey + Ice Block and Counterspell as an early play. Counterspell can be huge because it still takes the cost so they get damaged for free.

• Options
    JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    Yilias wrote: »
    How are you getting to turn 10? Every brawl I played ended by turn 4, most on turn 2.

I've had a quite a few non-mage opponents. A couple were paladin either doing buffadin or +attack spells on their minions. A few priests that were minion heavy and spell light. Some shamans that weren't full on burn but jade pirate that controlled board. Some warlocks that were discard. I even saw a mech hunter in this brawl.

So yeah, I got a few opponents that we actually made it well past turn 10. Whether becuase they wanted to due to quests or what not, I have no idea.

But at least I'm having fun even if the matches aren't over by turn 4.

Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    goddammit this minion spawning bullshit on mobile has costed me 2 games last night.

YES game, I really meant to hex the bad wolf that got spawned by the kindly grandmother, and not the flamewreathed faceless next to it I was clearly pointing at.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    hippofant wrote: »
    I know this brawl is really dumb, but it's actually pretty complex in terms of deckbuilding and play, in particular how to mulligan. I learned some simple stuff early, like hold off on your card draw if you have an Illusionist in hand, since you probably can't kill your opponent before T3 anyways even if you draw. (Depending on your hand.)

Also Yilias, I've had games go to turn 10. It can just happen if both players draw like shit or decide to remove board threats. I.e. with a mage, you might just draw your Illusionists and Armors and be forced to burn enemy minions or whatnot.

This brawl is "draw the nuts" the game

(spell dmg and greater arcane missiles + 2 more spells are the nuts)

You dont have to otk, they'll get locked into not being able to fight back when below 10-8 health.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    bwanie wrote: »

This game is "draw the nuts" the game

You dont have to otk, theyll get locked into not being able to fight back when below 10-8 health.

Sure, if you just draw the nuts the game is over, but how's that different from playing the standard ladder? (lolololol)

When I played earlier last night, the game was not typically ending on turn 2. So for me, there was a lot of, do I mull/draw for the Violet Illusionist/Animated Armor? Do I keep burn spells or draw spells? Do I try to go off now and not kill my opponent, or do I hold and see if they get themselves low enough for me to finish them off, etc..

Watching Kripp play Brawl now, seems like there are a lot more Paladins than earlier. (For me, there were a lot of Hunters and I had to try and dodge CotWs.)

• Options

You dont have to otk, theyll get locked into not being able to fight back when below 10-8 health.

Sure, if you just draw the nuts the game is over, but how's that different from playing the standard ladder? (lolololol)

When I played earlier last night, the game was not typically ending on turn 2. So for me, there was a lot of, do I mull/draw for the Violet Illusionist/Animated Armor? Do I keep burn spells or draw spells? Do I try to go off now and not kill my opponent, or do I hold and see if they get themselves low enough for me to finish them off, etc..

Watching Kripp play Brawl now, seems like there are a lot more Paladins than earlier. (For me, there were a lot of Hunters and I had to try and dodge CotWs.)

I dunno man, just stick to drawing the nuts, it's what I do.

(I only played three games, I have zero interest in this brawl)

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options

I dunno man, just stick to drawing the nuts, it's what I do.

(I only played three games, I have zero interest in this brawl)

I'm at T10 right now against a Druid who's used Tree of Life twice and an Antique Healbot. :rotate:

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    @MNC Dover I'm in, to play and stream. Excited for more deets.

• Options
    swaylowswaylow Registered User regular
    I built a quick Hunter beast deck to clear quests for this Brawl. Went 5-0 with all 5 games ending by T2 or T3. Turns out starting with Call of the Wild is good...turns out starting with it 5 times in a row is even better.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Cromarty wrote: »

I dunno.

Explain?
    I guess the idea is that you can't go for a higher season reward and also farm rank 20, because the floors keep you from deliberately dropping your rank that far.
    I dunno though. I don't think the season rewards are actually worth enough that dedicated farmers wouldn't willingly forgo them.

Well, when you're sorta starting out with maybe one or two Legendaries to your name and you're feeling pretty good with a semi-meta deck. You can climb out of the "feeding ponds" sub 20 level where you can lose but not go down any ranks. You'll occasionally match up with a few people who have what you feel is all the cards in the game because they're full on meta. Then you maybe push to rank 16 by Blizzard deeming it is your time. Then when you're just about to reach Rank 15, suddenly that one more win comes crashing down with game after game after game of meta deck after meta deck. These people are there till nearly the end of the season because, well for one issue or another they either decided to not push, played some fun decks for a while so lost down to around that area, or whatever. But they are there and can stomp your poor Raptor to smithereens.

So basically my thought is that some of us who have more cards than others will eventually push out of the 20-15 range and leave that area to be safer since we'll pray on the people who have like amount of cards. This will hopefully make some of those people not quit playing the game as well since they won't be as discouraged by playing against a deck that has 2 Legenaries in it. I know I felt that way back when people were crushing my hopes at Rank 16 and see some people posting here with similar frustrations.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited February 2017

I dunno.

Explain?

Well, when you're sorta starting out with maybe one or two Legendaries to your name and you're feeling pretty good with a semi-meta deck. You can climb out of the "feeding ponds" sub 20 level where you can lose but not go down any ranks. You'll occasionally match up with a few people who have what you feel is all the cards in the game because they're full on meta. Then you maybe push to rank 16 by Blizzard deeming it is your time. Then when you're just about to reach Rank 15, suddenly that one more win comes crashing down with game after game after game of meta deck after meta deck. These people are there till nearly the end of the season because, well for one issue or another they either decided to not push, played some fun decks for a while so lost down to around that area, or whatever. But they are there and can stomp your poor Raptor to smithereens.

So basically my thought is that some of us who have more cards than others will eventually push out of the 20-15 range and leave that area to be safer since we'll pray on the people who have like amount of cards. This will hopefully make some of those people not quit playing the game as well since they won't be as discouraged by playing against a deck that has 2 Legenaries in it. I know I felt that way back when people were crushing my hopes at Rank 16 and see some people posting here with similar frustrations.

It also allows for more exploration and experimentation on standard ladder, specifically at ranks 15, 10, and 5. People who are pushing for higher ranks in the past generally wouldn't stop playing netdecks once they get to say rank 10ish anyways in fear of losing ranks. This allows people the option of trying something else and taking a break from the "meta" without the fear of dropping several ranks, which will as a side effect cause a slight shift in the "meta" around it. For example, as more players get bored of Pirates or Reno, the meta will turn into "What can I play to beat ranks 15-14, okay now back to Pirates/Reno from 13-11, now what works in 10-9, back to Pirates for 8-6, etc..."

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

I dunno.

Explain?

Yep.

Last night I played one of my favorite HS games ever. I had a "win three Priest" games quest, and I accidentally queued for ranked rather than Casual (I was rank 16 at the time). I ended up against another Dragon Priest deck. My deck wasn't really built for ranked, more to have fun while trying something, that something being "take as many of the other guy's minions as possible and make his or her head explode." Since I was already in, I played the game out. It worked, and along the way through Mind Control and Entomb and Cabal Shadow Priest I stole Alexstraza, Sylvanas, Blood Mage Thalnos, and Ysondre. A Ragnaros ate a Shadow Word: Death. I have none of those Legendary cards; my deck had no Legendary cards in it. For that matter, my deck didn't have any Grand Tournament cards in it, because I can't justify crafting/buying packs for something that's going to rotate out so soon when my collection is so meager. It ended up being a very long game; I was able to establish board advantage and to keep board advantage, but the other player kept enough strong cards coming out that I didn't dare over-commit, and it was pretty satisfying to win that one, knowing that my deck literally cost about 10,000 less dust to build.

(After I won, the other person sent a friend request. I answered with "Hi!" He or she told me to play a deck I sucked less at. The Hearthstone community can be so great!)

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    This morning I watched a game (for a pack) with a low-level newbie-ish Priest against a Jade Druid. The Priest told me he wasn't going to win. Druid plopped down an early Arcane Giant. Priest dropped Emperor Thaurissan the next turn. Druid killed Emp and hit Priest in the face with Arcane. Priest then used the discounted cards to drop an Ancient of Blossoms, then buff it with a Talonpriest, then double its health, then Shadow Word the Arcane Giant. Druid rage quit.

Damn I'm glad I got to see that.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options

cloudeagle wrote: »
    This morning I watched a game (for a pack) with a low-level newbie-ish Priest against a Jade Druid. The Priest told me he wasn't going to win. Druid plopped down an early Arcane Giant. Priest dropped Emperor Thaurissan the next turn. Druid killed Emp and hit Priest in the face with Arcane. Priest then used the discounted cards to drop an Ancient of Blossoms, then buff it with a Talonpriest, then double its health, then Shadow Word the Arcane Giant. Druid rage quit.

Damn I'm glad I got to see that.

Tssk he might not have drawn inner fire yet why quit?

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    MNC Dover presents: Fight Night in Gadgetzan - a PA forums tournament!

Players will be recruited into one of the three families and have to work together to destroy the others and gain control of Gadgetzan. The players will form teams of 3 and each will have to create a single deck based on one of the family's tri-class heroes. Your group of three will face of against the other two families to see who is the strongest!

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

Not only will you all have to decide who plays which class, but there will be deck-building limitations. Decks must share a card pool, meaning Legendaries, such as Aya Blackpaw, can only show up in one of the three decks. Furthermore, a few days before the tournament begins, players will each get to ban cards. Don't want to see Fiery War Axe? Ban it! Hate Ice Block? Send it away!

This tournament will test your teamwork, deckbuilding skills, and gameplay skill in the ultimate winner-takes-all brawl for Gadgetzan!

More details on the rules and such to come. I'm also open to suggestions for making the tournament even more fun and interesting. I'd be especially interested in hearing how to even out the playing field a bit, with the Grimy Goons at a natural disadvantage over Reno/Jade decks.

Let me know if you're interested in playing and/or streaming!

Rules so far:
    • Players sign up by posting an/or PMing info to me
    • I'll create teams of 3
    • Each team will be assigned a faction
    • Teams will ban out 2-3 cards with certain guidelines
    • Each player will choose one class associated with that faction
    • Each player builds a deck with certain guidelines
    • Teams play each other in Conquest format (must win with all decks)
    • The team with the highest win count wins, ties are broken by win counts (3-0, 2-1, etc)
    • If still tied, a one game playoff is played

Player list so far:
    1. KoopahTroopah*
    2. Metal Jared
    3. BreakfastPM
    4. Tynnan
    5. ImthebOHGODBEES
    *=willing to stream

I'll be streaming as well and can play if we're short on players. If we get more than 9 players, I'll add more teams to compensate. More family factions vying for power. ;)

More details to come...

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    MNC Dover presents: Fight Night in Gadgetzan - a PA forums tournament!

Players will be recruited into one of the three families and have to work together to destroy the others and gain control of Gadgetzan. The players will form teams of 3 and each will have to create a single deck based on one of the family's tri-class heroes. Your group of three will face of against the other two families to see who is the strongest!

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

Not only will you all have to decide who plays which class, but there will be deck-building limitations. Decks must share a card pool, meaning Legendaries, such as Aya Blackpaw, can only show up in one of the three decks. Furthermore, a few days before the tournament begins, players will each get to ban cards. Don't want to see Fiery War Axe? Ban it! Hate Ice Block? Send it away!

This tournament will test your teamwork, deckbuilding skills, and gameplay skill in the ultimate winner-takes-all brawl for Gadgetzan!

More details on the rules and such to come. I'm also open to suggestions for making the tournament even more fun and interesting. I'd be especially interested in hearing how to even out the playing field a bit, with the Grimy Goons at a natural disadvantage over Reno/Jade decks.

Let me know if you're interested in playing and/or streaming!

Rules so far:
    • Players sign up by posting an/or PMing info to me
    • I'll create teams of 3
    • Each team will be assigned a faction
    • Teams will ban out 2-3 cards with certain guidelines
    • Each player will choose one class associated with that faction
    • Each player builds a deck with certain guidelines
    • Teams play each other in Conquest format (must win with all decks)
    • The team with the highest win count wins, ties are broken by win counts (3-0, 2-1, etc)
    • If still tied, a one game playoff is played

Player list so far:
    1. KoopahTroopah*
    2. Metal Jarrad
    3. BreakfastPM
    *=willing to stream

I'll be streaming as well and can play if we're short on players. If we get more than 9 players, I'll add more teams to compensate. More family factions vying for power. ;)

More details to come...

Not even close on my name man. Not even close! I might be streaming by then, if so I will do my best to stream depending on what's going on with my family.

BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    MZPJQLZDUYMK1487020766402.jpg

2017 is the YEAR OF THE MAMMOTH

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/blog/20475356/a-year-of-mammoth-proportions-2-16-2017

HOLY SHIT MASSIVE FUCKING CHANGES INC FOR YEAR OF THE MAMMOTH

6 Classic Cards being permanently rotated into Wild (called "Hall of Fame"): Azure Drake, Ragnaros, Sylvanas, Ice Lance, Conceal, Power Overwhelming. You will get FULL DUST VALUE GIVEN TO YOU FOR FREE. No need to disenchant.

THREE EXPANSIONS COMING NEXT whoops I mean THIS YEAR.

MAIEV SHADOWSONG ROGUE HERO AWARDED FOR WINNING 10 GAMES AFTER THE EXPAC DROPS

DAILY LOGIN REWARDS PRIOR TO EXPAC DROPPING: Gold, Dust, Card Packs.

AND MUCH MORE

Edit: Got a lil too excited and wrote "Next Year" when I meant "This Year" :D

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    JackdawGinJackdawGin Engineer New YorkRegistered User regular
    Polygon continues with new Hearthstone reporting: http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/16/14630330/hearthstone-year-of-the-mammoth-standard-format-classic-cards-removed-expansions-adventures

Worth a read, there's big changes coming in the next year of play (Year of the mammoth).

For one, they are retiring 6 classic cards from standard (and adding them to Hall of Fame). Sylvanas, Rag, Power Overwhelming, Ice Lance, Conceal and Azure Drake all hit the shelf. To make this pill easier to swallow, you'll get the full dust value with out having to disenchant them.

And more!

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Told y'all PO was gonna get hit.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Wow... Conceal though? That's interesting.

• Options
    BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »
    MZPJQLZDUYMK1487020766402.jpg

2017 is the YEAR OF THE MAMMOTH

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/blog/20475356/a-year-of-mammoth-proportions-2-16-2017

HOLY SHIT MASSIVE FUCKING CHANGES INC FOR YEAR OF THE MAMMOTH

6 Classic Cards being permanently rotated into Wild (called "Hall of Fame"): Azure Drake, Ragnaros, Sylvanas, Ice Lance, Conceal, Power Overwhelming. You will get FULL DUST VALUE GIVEN TO YOU FOR FREE. No need to disenchant.

THREE EXPANSIONS COMING NEXT YEAR.

MAIEV SHADOWSONG ROGUE HERO AWARDED FOR WINNING 10 GAMES AFTER THE EXPAC DROPS

DAILY LOGIN REWARDS PRIOR TO EXPAC DROPPING: Gold, Dust, Card Packs.

AND MUCH MORE

Are the classic card rotations happening with the adventure / expansion rotation? Gotta craft me a Sylvanas and get a free legendary is so.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Wowwww. Those are some key cards! Exciting!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    JackdawGinJackdawGin Engineer New YorkRegistered User regular

The reasoning giving was they were thinking about shelving Auctioneer, but decided the larger issue was Auctioneer + Conceal, and Conceal preventing you from largely interacting with the board of your rogue opponent.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

It's a problematic card as a piece of a combo, as it grants mass stealth to a potentially huge board (or a few key creatures), so it completely eliminates counterplay of any targeted removal.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Thank god we're rotating out all these aggro cards to mix things up

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I like the hint at some interesting single-player content, too, to replace an Adventure this year.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    OMG I JUST REMEMBERED MY SYLVANAS IS GOLDEN

DUST B O I S

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    I'm surprised Azure Drake is going. I know it's a good card and finds its way into many decks but I didn't think it was oppressive or anything (although I would take a deep breath when playing against it as priest).

Is the tournament a US server thing? I've got all my cards EU side (I have a 3 week old girl so I probably couldn't commit).

PSN Fleety2009