Options

Foreign Policy in the Age of Trump

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    So North Korea fired missles into the Sea of Japan yesterday.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-39175704
    They were fired from the Tongchang-ri region, near the North's border with China, the South Korean military said.
    The type of missile is unclear but the North is banned from any missile or nuclear tests by the UN.

A South Korean military official said a launch had taken place at 07:36 local time Monday (22:36 GMT Sunday) and was being investigated to determine the type of projectile used.

The US military said later it had detected and tracked a launch but had determined that it did not pose a threat to North America.

State Department acting spokesperson Mark Toner said in a statement: "The United States strongly condemns the DPRK's ballistic missile launches tonight, which violate UN Security Council Resolutions explicitly prohibiting North Korea's launches using ballistic missile technology," using the official name of the country the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK).

On Friday, Pyongyang threatened to fire missiles in response to the Foal Eagle military exercises under way between South Korea and the US. The North sees the annual drills as preparation for an invasion against it.
    Map of North Korea, Japan

Monday's launches were just the latest in a long series of tests of North Korean missile technology, which experts say is likely to be improving with successive tests.

Should we expect any further response from the WH today or?

I'm gonna go with no.

It isn't the weekend, so he can't talk to key advisers with knowledge of the Sea of Japan like the couple who ordered sushi at table #3.

• Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular

They were fired from the Tongchang-ri region, near the North's border with China, the South Korean military said.
    The type of missile is unclear but the North is banned from any missile or nuclear tests by the UN.

A South Korean military official said a launch had taken place at 07:36 local time Monday (22:36 GMT Sunday) and was being investigated to determine the type of projectile used.

The US military said later it had detected and tracked a launch but had determined that it did not pose a threat to North America.

State Department acting spokesperson Mark Toner said in a statement: "The United States strongly condemns the DPRK's ballistic missile launches tonight, which violate UN Security Council Resolutions explicitly prohibiting North Korea's launches using ballistic missile technology," using the official name of the country the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK).

On Friday, Pyongyang threatened to fire missiles in response to the Foal Eagle military exercises under way between South Korea and the US. The North sees the annual drills as preparation for an invasion against it.

Monday's launches were just the latest in a long series of tests of North Korean missile technology, which experts say is likely to be improving with successive tests.

I'm gonna go with no.

It's not Russia, so assuming Trump sees it on one of his morning shows or something I could expect some heavy handed garbage spewed on twitter about it.

Of course, it could just as easily be something very anti Japanese as well. Like, "Japan can't even protect themselves, USA taking care of them and they take advantage of us in trade so much. SAD!"

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular

Every other administration: "Don't respond, just contain, help our allies"

Trump: "Shoot their missiles out of the sky! Retaliate!"

I mean, yeah.. I know this is just keeping all options on the table, but starting a war with North Korea just seems like a really bad idea.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    Protip: The war with Korea is ongoing and never ended. We just glare at each other across the DMZ.

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    halkun wrote: »
    Protip: The war with Korea is ongoing and never ended. We just glare at each other across the DMZ.

Literally! This guy's entire purpose is to stare across the room, fists clenched, like his NK counterpart on the other side of the table is eyeballin' his date in a bar.

(I assume that he actually has some other duties. But from what I've read of the DMZ, guards on the SK side are trained to stand there and look sorta-menacing for hours on end because that'll stave off a war.)

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Bursar wrote: »

Literally! This guy's entire purpose is to stare across the room, fists clenched, like his NK counterpart on the other side of the table is eyeballin' his date in a bar.

(I assume that he actually has some other duties. But from what I've read of the DMZ, guards on the SK side are trained to stand there and look sorta-menacing for hours on end because that'll stave off a war.)

Everything I learned about the DMZ, I learned from the Conan O'Brien Show: http://teamcoco.com/korea/conans-north-korea-show

• Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Can I say, I just love NHK's (Japan) cartoons on Korea launching missiles.
    Fb28VlN.jpg

0y9TOT4.jpg

a nu start on
    Number One Tricky
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    North Korea have decided to get in on the travel ban shenanigans. Following the furore over Kim Jong-Nam's death, they are now refusing to allow any Malaysians in North Korea to leave the country.

• Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    Maybe the extra carrier is Trump thinking forward. He (or somebody in the administration) knows that with the rate of him pissing nations off, there won't be anybody left that wants to host US aircraft.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular

I'm gonna go with no.

They've sent anti-missile defense systems to South Korea, which has the added bonus of slightly heightening tensions in the region.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I was with PATRIOT in the army, and I can tell you we already had a permanent presence there. THAAD is useless to SK (targets would be flying in at an inconveniently short range for that system), but it is useful to Japan.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular

But after years and years and years of doing this, each season passing, the same shift every day, they slowly cast furtive non-aggressive glances at each other until one day they both abandon their posts and kiss madly.

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Well, at least it's bringing Europe further together... Silver linings! That being said, as a German, yeah, I'd be okay with Germany getting nukes.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I saw something over the last few days about a combined EU nuclear program. Is this connected to that or just a bunch of countries that now feel they want in on the MAD game?

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I saw something over the last few days about a combined EU nuclear program. Is this connected to that or just a bunch of countries that now feel they want in on the MAD game?

That idea was basically putting French nukes under an EU command structure to have a deterrent force against Russia if we don't back our European allies. Germans developing their own is different and worrying.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

That idea was basically putting French nukes under an EU command structure to have a deterrent force against Russia if we don't back our European allies. Germans developing their own is different and worrying.

Well, yes.

But Trump said everybody should have nukes. So, chalk up another promise kept!

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Is Germany not already in the "doesn't have nukes because they haven't felt like it" box though? Like, I'd imagine they only really need to put it together to have one more or less. Actually building them would be worrying though, since it would mean they no longer trusted NATO's threat of MAD to protect them.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

Is Germany not already in the "doesn't have nukes because they haven't felt like it" box though? Like, I'd imagine they only really need to put it together to have one more or less. Actually building them would be worrying though, since it would mean they no longer trusted NATO's threat of MAD to protect them.

It's the breakdown of the nuclear non-proliferation norm that is worrying more than any specific concern about Germany. And yes, Germany, Japan, and South Korea are definite could be nuclear powers whenever they want basically. There are probably some others. Italy would be if they hadn't closed their nuclear power plants.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

It's the breakdown of the nuclear non-proliferation norm that is worrying more than any specific concern about Germany. And yes, Germany, Japan, and South Korea are definite could be nuclear powers whenever they want basically. There are probably some others. Italy would be if they hadn't closed their nuclear power plants.

I think Canada is on that list as well. I doubt we'd ever bother though.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular

Germany also closed all of their nuke plants, though, so there might be a lagtime for them in getting the fissile material, unlike Japan who literally produces weapons-grade fuel as the waste from their plants. They could have a massive arsenal very quickly if they wanted.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Germany fucking up with nuclear power made Europe more dependent on russian energy.
    Oil is not a goddamn step up.

But after years and years and years of doing this, each season passing, the same shift every day, they slowly cast furtive non-aggressive glances at each other until one day they both abandon their posts and kiss madly.

No, everyone in the DMZ wears dark sunglasses regardless of weatherconditions, so that they can look menacing comfortably. Basically sleeping in class with googly-eyes.

PLA on
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »

Germany also closed all of their nuke plants, though, so there might be a lagtime for them in getting the fissile material, unlike Japan who literally produces weapons-grade fuel as the waste from their plants. They could have a massive arsenal very quickly if they wanted.

It's entirely possible they could get it relatively easily from other EU nations

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »

It's entirely possible they could get it relatively easily from other EU nations

Or from Japan. Like bum said, though, the main concern is the breakdown in nonproliferation. If Iran doesn't have a nuke within four years it'll be a miracle.

Japan might try to amend their self-defense clause to allow for nukes and mecha-godzilla deterents.

• Options
    moniker wrote: »

Or from Japan. Like bum said, though, the main concern is the breakdown in nonproliferation. If Iran doesn't have a nuke within four years it'll be a miracle.

Japan might try to amend their self-defense clause to allow for nukes and mecha-godzilla deterents.

Well, a miracle or a hulking crater with millions dead. One of those.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

I think Canada is on that list as well. I doubt we'd ever bother though.

In the case of Canada, any nuclear strike would be nearly indistinguishable from one on the US until the last second (assuming they're not aiming at the glaciers, anyways).

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    A significant change in European defence will likely be more catalysed by the UK leaving the EU than the worries about American commitments.

For a long time, Europeans have been interested in some common defence initiatives, but these have always been vetoed by the UK (partly at the behest of the US). The reason was that an EU army would undermine the purpose of NATO, and make the European nations less reliant on US protection.

• Options
    The. Best. Deals.

I am angry beyond the ability to form rational sentences.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    It's going to be entertaining to see the right-wing salt when the newly armed and operational Europe stops doing whatever the US wants

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    It's going to be entertaining to see the right-wing salt when the newly armed and operational Europe stops doing whatever the US wants

Alt-Right doesn't care about other countries and the establishment right is too cowardly to stand up to this, so if there's any salt there, it'll all be behind the scenes where we can't see it.

• Options

Alt-Right doesn't care about other countries and the establishment right is too cowardly to stand up to this, so if there's any salt there, it'll all be behind the scenes where we can't see it.

Bannon wants the entire post-war international order destroyed. So a unified European military project would be a serious concern for him.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    The international right wing, historically, tends to be very chummy and on the same page until, quite suddenly, they aren't.
    (Which happens whenever seeking their own advantage and appealing to their own base means it's convenient to go for the backstab. Sometimes this applies to more than one party at once, and one just happens to be the first to get the knife in.)

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular

Oh hi there, it seems you're new to the concept of entitlement

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Tomorrow Merkel is going to meet Trump, so that might get interesting.

But probably not, because one of those two is a pro when it comes to thinking and waiting before talking.

cnbc.com/2017/03/13/merkel-flies-in-for-trump-meeting-flanked-by-german-ceos.html

• Options
    GatorGator An alligator in Scotland Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

Well, a miracle or a hulking crater with millions dead. One of those.

What

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Tomorrow Merkel is going to meet Trump, so that might get interesting.

But probably not, because one of those two is a pro when it comes to thinking and waiting before talking.

cnbc.com/2017/03/13/merkel-flies-in-for-trump-meeting-flanked-by-german-ceos.html

One is an experienced statesmen and the other is an irrational child that reacts to everything with emotional volatility and sheer pettiness.

Neville Chamberland Had a better chance of accomplishing things with Adolf Hitler then Merkel has with Trump.

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular

The end of US hegemony and a more independent Europe may be a silver lining.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
This discussion has been closed.