As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

JRPG Thread: Suikoden is fun to say.

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Like, not even gacha games. I mean full games without any kind of gacha system.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    See all the Kemco JRPGs.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I'm sure there must be some but I cannot name a single big game originally made for the mobile platforms (IE not a retro port of an old console or computer game) that doesn't have some sort of gacha or other microtransaction-emphasizing system in it, just small indie stuff.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    See all the Kemco JRPGs.

It's crazy that those apparently do well in spite of their titles

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Prevalence of Gacha aside, I don't really get into phone games cause I use my phone for a bunch of other stuff and I'm not trying to drain my battery like that.

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    See all the Kemco JRPGs.

It's crazy that those apparently do well in spite of their titles

I've tried a few and they aren't as bad as you'd think. They are nowhere near as exploitive as they appear from the wrapping, the turn based combat systems become more and more refined with each game, and the stories are what you'd expect from a decent RPG creator production. Plus they run incredibly smooth and crash free on every phone I've tried them on. One could do far worse for a JRPG fix on a mobile.

• Options
    Yeah I've dabbled with one or two and they're fine

But the titles are all like RPG BRAVE SOUL

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    gotta hit that SEO

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Nier Spoiler:
    We all know that self-destruct blows 2B's skirt off.

But, it also blows off 9S's shorts and it is hilarious watching him run around in boxer briefs with his skinny little legs.

Yukira on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I'm just going to have to stop reading the JRPG thread entirely I guess. Cool.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    all the bad robbits looking like
    emil

has to mean something

right

right???

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    I got another nier joke ending
    Dont eat this fish

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    all the bad robbits looking like
    emil

has to mean something

right

right???

Maybe spoilers?
    I mean

there is a side story about emil fighting aliens somewhere

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    I'm sure there must be some but I cannot name a single big game originally made for the mobile platforms (IE not a retro port of an old console or computer game) that doesn't have some sort of gacha or other microtransaction-emphasizing system in it, just small indie stuff.

Final Fantasy Dimensions, the entire Chaos Rings series, the Gailardia series (a neat set of three Dragon Quest clones), pretty much all of Kemco's stuff.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Should I get Neir on steam even though I have never played any of the games with her in it?

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Should I get Neir on steam even though I have never played any of the games with her in it?

This is the first game with any of these characters in it

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Blackjack wrote: »

Final Fantasy Dimensions, the entire Chaos Rings series, the Gailardia series (a neat set of three Dragon Quest clones), pretty much all of Kemco's stuff.

yes, I can't name any of that, I've never heard of any of it

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

GOD yes.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Who is "her"?

• Options

Who is "her"?

He probably (and understandably) thinks the lady featured prominently on the cover is named Nier.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Who is "her"?

He probably (and understandably) thinks the lady featured prominently on the cover is named Nier.

Oh. Teehee.

I get it now!

Well newcomer, that is not the case at all!

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    There are several references to OG Nier in Nier: Automata but Automata is set like seven thousand years later and the connections are sparse indeed. Definitely playable as a standalone.

In other news, I made it to Ending A last night!
    There was a point in the forest where the game snapped and I began to destroy everything in front of me without effort. Jamming Taunt made all the single target threats very very easy to fight, especially bosses.

The Copied City was super cool, Adam and Eve are intriguing villains, to say the least. I'm interested in knowing more about them. The whole finale from the leviathan to the end was great. I'm excited to start work on playthrough 2 tonight!!

• Options
    Rainfall wrote: »
    There are several references to OG Nier in Nier: Automata but Automata is set like seven thousand years later and the connections are sparse indeed. Definitely playable as a standalone.

There was a point in the forest where the game snapped and I began to destroy everything in front of me without effort. Jamming Taunt made all the single target threats very very easy to fight, especially bosses.

The Copied City was super cool, Adam and Eve are intriguing villains, to say the least. I'm interested in knowing more about them. The whole finale from the leviathan to the end was great. I'm excited to start work on playthrough 2 tonight!!

I thought Automata happens before the other Nier game.

• Options

Nope, the alien invasion/retreat to the moon happens after the events of Nier 1.

• Options

Nope, the alien invasion/retreat to the moon happens after the events of Nier 1.

Are you sure? Someone in G&T was posting the years they happened and OG NIer was like 11000 something, Automata was only 8000 or so.

I haven't actually seen anything indicating anything myself, of course.

• Options
    edited March 2017

Are you sure? Someone in G&T was posting the years they happened and OG NIer was like 11000 something, Automata was only 8000 or so.

Minor spoilers that may ruin a surprise but it's not story critical:
    At the very least, you run into Emil which firmly places it after the ending of Nier. Dunno about specific dates because I'm laaazy.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

Here's the full Drakengard/Nier timeline.

DOD-NIER-timeline-20160418.png

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    I want to see a stage play called "The Space War"

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Also, Nier and Automata have kinda cleverly take out the non-Taro Drakengard 2 from the timeline and shoved it into it's never continued, never revisited seperate thing.

Also, while DoD3 happens first, there's clearly some time travel stuff going on with the whole timeline.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Niee takes place in like 4000

Nier automata is in 11000

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Nier takes place in 3361

Nier Automata takes place in 11944

me literally a page ago :(:(:( no one reads my posts

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Nier takes place in 3361

I read it! But that was a page ago and I didn't feel like finding/quoting it!

• Options
    Niee takes place in like 4000

Nier automata is in 11000

oh I had it backwards

• Options
    Uuugh I want to not be at work so I can start up playthrough 2.

• Options
    Nier takes place in 3361

I can confirm that I do not read your posts
    if this post makes sense in the context of your posts it is purely a coincidence, I'm just typing gibberish from my point of view

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I love SRW so much. I'm sure I'll miss tons of secrets playing blind, but I'm constantly having fun being suprised at who shows up and when and how they combine various series' together. :D

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    I love SRW so much. I'm sure I'll miss tons of secrets playing blind, but I'm constantly having fun being suprised at who shows up and when and how they combine various series' together. :D

You won't miss that many more secrets, only a few of them have had their conditions nailed down so far. It's only when the Perfect Guide comes out that we learn everything.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    TamerBill wrote: »

You won't miss that many more secrets, only a few of them have had their conditions nailed down so far. It's only when the Perfect Guide comes out that we learn everything.

Good thing this game has such a good NG+

I'm also loving the inclusion of battleships to the mecha roster.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    I would pay money for dlc to give 2b pants or leggings or anything

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    I would pay money for dlc to give 2b pants or leggings or anything

yoko taro

This discussion has been closed.