Options

[PC Build Thread] NVIDIA can't stop releasing GPUs like Oprah can't stop releasing bees

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    So what you guys are saying is that I should upgrade to 1080Ti and go from 6700k to 7700k?

Thanks, build thread!

Would there be a noticeable improvement if you did that?

I'm a pc build novice so I'm genuinely asking.

I've eye'd up a I5 7600K because that seems like the best bang for buck processor?

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    Mace1370 wrote: »
    So I guess HDR monitors aren't available yet? Do we have any idea when they might be coming?

I have my eyes set on a 1080 ti when the EVGA one comes out and would like a 4k HDR monitor with g-sync to pair with it.

Sounds like you're looking for the Asus PG27UQ which is pending a price and a release date...

That thing is going to be nearly as expensive as a 1080 Ti.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    So what you guys are saying is that I should upgrade to 1080Ti and go from 6700k to 7700k?

Thanks, build thread!

Would there be a noticeable improvement if you did that?

I'm a pc build novice so I'm genuinely asking.

I've eye'd up a I5 7600K because that seems like the best bang for buck processor?

Only the GPU. I'm currently running GTX 9800+ because I can't be arsed to get a DisplayPort cable. I'm just joking about the CPU. There is no need or desire to upgrade at this time.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    So I guess HDR monitors aren't available yet? Do we have any idea when they might be coming?

I have my eyes set on a 1080 ti when the EVGA one comes out and would like a 4k HDR monitor with g-sync to pair with it.

Sounds like you're looking for the Asus PG27UQ which is pending a price and a release date...

Good chance it'll be $1000+, but a monitor is always a good investment.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular

That sounds amazing but my god is that thing fucking gaudy as shit.

I think you can turn stand's light off, which should help some...but yeah.

Should be real nice once it releases though!

I love the specs. I'll probably get something similar to it once I upgrade my video card on the next round of Nvidia chips.

Yeah, I'm thinking I'm going to build my next computer around it. It's almost time to ditch the 2600k (although aside from GTA 5 I've never really had a problem), and going from 1200p to 1440 doesn't seem like enough of a jump to be worth the sticker price on a new monitor.

On the one hand the Asus monitor was announced in January so I guess I haven't been waiting that long, but Jesus it feels like forever.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular

I'd be thrilled if it only ended up being $700. I'm prepping myself for a $1500 price tag.

Which on the one hand is insane, but on the other I use monitors for a really long time. I'm still using the 20" sub 1080p Ultrasharp I bought in 2005 as a second monitor. My primary monitor is only 6 years old though...I'll probably end up giving it to my grandmother.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    My old Dell 2005fpw from 13 years ago was my second monitor to my HP LP2472w that's from about 10 years ago. The HP, at the time was $600 and is now my second monitor to an Acer Predator XB271HU which I bought in September.

The Acer is going to last me at least 4-5 years as a primary monitor, or at least a few video card generations for when 4k HDR 144hz+ is the standard for PC gaming.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    my situation:
    bought a 1080 about a month ago
    Ti drops, 1080 prices are scheduled to drop
    my credit card will refund me the difference but ofc it needs to be the exact same SKU, and I only get one shot
    I paid $639, right now I'm seeing one down to $545
    Supposedly the base price is now $599, does anyone know what it was before?

What I'm wondering is if ~$50 over base price is about the best I can hope for. The SKU for my card (STRIX-GTX1080-A8G) is kinda weird since it's for like middle-binned chips so I'm afraid there isn't too much stock of them in the first place.

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    The base price is now 499, it used to be 599. The base SKU price drop was 100 bucks when the 1080 Ti was announced.

As far as monitors, I'm seriously considering the Acer Predator X34 ultra wide QHD. I happen to play some things, like flight sims, that would benefit greatly from ultra wide resolutions and the jump to 34" would be nice. I'm still not sold on 4K HDR for PC gaming this year. I'll probably wait, at a minimum, for Volta to come out and get a Ti release before I consider going 4K on my PC.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    The base price is now 499, it used to be 599. The base SKU price drop was 100 bucks when the 1080 Ti was announced.

As far as monitors, I'm seriously considering the Acer Predator X34 ultra wide QHD. I happen to play some things, like flight sims, that would benefit greatly from ultra wide resolutions and the jump to 34" would be nice. I'm still not sold on 4K HDR for PC gaming this year. I'll probably wait, at a minimum, for Volta to come out and get a Ti release before I consider going 4K on my PC.

oh, yeah I typoed that

well if the base price went down by 100 that's all I really need to know, I should expect other prices to to lower by the same amount

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

I have the LG 34UC88. Ultrawide gaming is wonderful. I can't go back to 16:9. For games that don't fully support 21:9, check the WSGF forums or the Flawless Widescreen app. There are often user fixes to get games running in 21:9. For example, Witcher 3 has black bars during dialog scenes and cutscenes. A simple hex edit removes those black bars with no ill effect. Flawless Widescreen does the same for Dragon Age Inquisition.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    Well it looks like when the time comes I'm getting a 6700k, no choice now.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    übergeek wrote: »

Why is that? Why not the 7700k?

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Dashui wrote: »

I have the LG 34UC88. Ultrawide gaming is wonderful. I can't go back to 16:9. For games that don't fully support 21:9, check the WSGF forums or the Flawless Widescreen app. There are often user fixes to get games running in 21:9. For example, Witcher 3 has black bars during dialog scenes and cutscenes. A simple hex edit removes those black bars with no ill effect. Flawless Widescreen does the same for Dragon Age Inquisition.

I'd be extremely tempted myself, if I didn't feel so stupid having more black screen than not for my huge library of old 4:3 games. :(

• Options

I want to use Win 7 and they are now actively blocking Windows Update from working on -any- Win 7 or Win 8.1 PC with a new CPU in it. 8.1 is still meant to be on full support until 2018, but screw those guys force them into Win 10 anyway.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Did you not get W10 when it was free?

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

I want to use Win 7 and they are now actively blocking Windows Update from working on -any- Win 7 or Win 8.1 PC with a new CPU in it. 8.1 is still meant to be on full support until 2018, but screw those guys force them into Win 10 anyway.

ok lets stop the FUD on this. They are not actively blocking Windows updates on new processors. They have kept the language that they *could* not offer specific updates if they needed to. But to be clear, Microsoft is not stopping windows updates for Windows 7 on kaby lake platforms.

EDIT: so I'm looking at some news stories that seem to contradict this. I have to get up from the computer for a couple hours, but need to research this some more when I get the chance. I'm seeing a couple websites reporting windows updates do not work, and a couple reporting that they do.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    There is no good reason to continue using win7 unless you have a crucial legacy app that is never being updated

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    for 4K gaming is there much point in using Anti Aliasing?

Seems like turning it off is a simple way to get much higher frame rates. I see conflicting opinions when I google the issue.

• Options
    So, we have a street date for Ryzen 5 - April 11.

• Options
    Did you not get W10 when it was free?

I didn't want it and still don't want it, the amount of telemetry blocking and hostfile manipulation to deactivate all the adware and and snooping (which technically one could say they were entitled to for giving it out for free) it wasn't worth it. I know there a are still methods to get free versions.
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    There is no good reason to continue using win7 unless you have a crucial legacy app that is never being updated

See above. What- I- do with my PC is my business, and if I choose to pay for my version instead of getting it free, I shouldn't have to put up with -commercials in my operating system-. There's only a slight justification if I use the free version. -I'll- decide when I put an update on my PC, after I've made sure it's not going cause the partition to turn into a paperweight, or break multi monitor gaming, or glitch refresh rates, or the myriad of things that they've managed to screw up so far.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    If you're that upset about them mentioning their own products then there's not really much to be done convincing you.

The snooping was overblown to begin with. If it really bothers you, I hope you don't use a smartphone or a credit card, because you're being tracked worse than that if you do.

I think a lot of you anti Windows 10 people need to start basing your decision on reality and the real impact, rather than principles.
    Yes, commercials in operating systems are bad. No, Microsoft mentioning Office 365 isn't a commercial.
    Yes, spyware is bad. No, what Windows 10 does isn't spyware.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    If you're that upset about them mentioning their own products then there's not really much to be done convincing you.

The snooping was overblown to begin with. If it really bothers you, I hope you don't use a smartphone or a credit card, because you're being tracked worse than that if you do.

I think a lot of you anti Windows 10 people need to start basing your decision on reality and the real impact, rather than principles.
    Yes, commercials in operating systems are bad. No, Microsoft mentioning Office 365 isn't a commercial.

I have the start menu pushing me app store advertisements when i search for files. I would immediately uninstall w10 if i had a 7 license.

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I don't know what's worse, the Windows 10 spying or the Windows 10 spying apologists.

I can echo this - 21:9 gaming is incredible. It's much more immersive than 16:9, and as a side bonus it's better for watching films and the extra physical screenspace is great for increasing productivity when you're working on things or just multitasking in general.

There are some issues, namely a few games that don't work in 21:9 and are stuck in 16:9 resolutions, but it's totally worth it. I could never go back to 16:9 displays.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    kaliyama wrote: »

I have the start menu pushing me app store advertisements when i search for files. I would immediately uninstall w10 if i had a 7 license.

What do the advertisements look like? I get the names of store apps popping up as search results sometimes, is that what you mean?

• Options
    I can echo this - 21:9 gaming is incredible. It's much more immersive than 16:9, and as a side bonus it's better for watching films and the extra physical screenspace is great for increasing productivity when you're working on things or just multitasking in general.

There are some issues, namely a few games that don't work in 21:9 and are stuck in 16:9 resolutions, but it's totally worth it. I could never go back to 16:9 displays.

I'm very tempted by 21:9 monitors, but the 144hz ones cost an absolute fortune and there's no way I'm giving up high refresh for ultrawide, not in a million years.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    kaliyama wrote: »

Or spend 2 minutes in the options menu and turn it off.

Considering the amount of time you're going to have to spend keeping your creaking boat of an OS in Win 7 up, it seems like pretty small potatoes.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    This microsoft spying is absolutely inexcusable!

*swipes lock menu advertisement on android phone aside*

I cannot believe they would pilfer my information like this!

*posts on facebook, notices ads from Amazon about things I looked at last week*

My information is mine!

*sees same Amazon ads on PS4 and XBox*

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Here's what my Start Menu looks like:

35fckzo60ud8.jpg

Here's how I did it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KFc6l8jrVs

It (obviously) works on desktops, too.

Mugsley on
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    I don't get any advertisements on my windows 10 pc.

I will say that I disabled a lot of the spying stuff and hid/removed stuff from the start menu though. Can't remember exactly what I had to do but I'm sure searching on google will come up with solutions.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    All the Ryzen gaming benchmarks have me nervous. I've got a Ryzen 1700 here to replace my 3770k, just waiting on some more parts to come in next week, but seeing benchmarks of even a 2nd-generation Intel processor beating Ryzen does not bode well for my mood. On the other hand, moving from 1600 MHz DDR3 memory to 3200 MHz DDR4 may make a decent difference?

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    I would agree that the telemetry data worries are waaaay overblown in windows 10. Guess What, Microsoft has been collecting this stuff since Windows Vista. The only one where I would agree that there is a valid reason for someone to turn off is the advertising ID part for the app store. The rest is anonymous. Microsoft doesn't care about a single user. They collect anonymous data about general usage of windows to make it better.

Back in the Windows 8 development days they justified the start screen becasue they had hard data that showed most users only clicked on the 3 or 4 items closes to the start button in Windows 7. How do you think they got that data? They've been doing it for 10 years.

I find it absotely goose-y laughable that people think Microsoft is spying on them, and then go out and use their grocery store rewards card and their credit card while doing any of the other 8 million things that we do that is tracked every single day.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    All the Ryzen gaming benchmarks have me nervous. I've got a Ryzen 1700 here to replace my 3770k, just waiting on some more parts to come in next week, but seeing benchmarks of even a 2nd-generation Intel processor beating Ryzen does not bode well for my mood. On the other hand, moving from 1600 MHz DDR3 memory to 3200 MHz DDR4 may make a decent difference?

Ryzen looks to be just a little slower on single core performance, but on multi threaded applications, which pretty much everything is now, it is beating intel.

• Options
    wunderbar wrote: »

Ryzen looks to be just a little slower on single core performance, but on multi threaded applications, which pretty much everything is now, it is beating intel.

There will always be something faster or better performing. I think so long as they perform better than Bulldozer did (relatively by comparison) there will be nothing to be concerned about.

• Options
    Al_wat wrote: »
    for 4K gaming is there much point in using Anti Aliasing?

Seems like turning it off is a simple way to get much higher frame rates. I see conflicting opinions when I google the issue.

Depends--though I think it's pretty hard to justify the most intensive super-sampling, since the returns are diminishing and it takes a lot of power.

I still have some basic FSAA when I play games (at 2160p), because it means little (or no) change in FPS.

• Options
  • Options

VERY high end card, more used for simulations and neural network research than actual pixelpushing. If you have to ask why you would use it, you don't need it.

• Options
    wunderbar wrote: »

Basically, you're trading off a little gaming performance to get a chip that, in multithread operations, competes with an Intel offering twice its cost.

• Options

VERY high end card, more used for simulations and neural network research than actual pixelpushing. If you have to ask why you would use it, you don't need it.

Yeah, these things ahve been around for years--and they were basically the same price back then too.

The troll reviews are almost as WAT as the product itself.

• Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular

That's not a gaming card. It's the kind of card you put in a super-computer to crunch numbers, or when you are making high end computer animations (Like the stuff Pixar does.)

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
This discussion has been closed.