As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

LIVE. WORK. REPEAT.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Oats wrote: »
    Today was That Day™ from a bad 90s romcom.

At work I'm blocked on... a lot of things actually.

AWS caught fire at some point so I lost a good bit of work there.

Walking to the train, and a truck drives by and now I'm covered in slush and snow. Cool.

Miss my train.

Get the next one, get home, and the elevator's broken. I'm on the 14th floor.

Fully expecting the water to be off in my apartment or something at this point.

So... you're going to meet the partner of your dreams on your doorstep?

• Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Today...today wasn't the worst. But I was busy. We suspended a total of 8 students today. Everything from pot to fighting to smashing a bicycle to truancy.

6 more school days til Spring Break.

I'd give offerings to Odin or Thor but it seems that Nazi's and racists have ruined it for everyone else.

oh h*ck
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Today is a bad RNG day for my productivity metrics. See, lately (as in all this year) I've been getting a lot of easy-cancel orders. Those are fast to do and show up in productivity immediately. So if I work 12 orders of that type, 12 orders appear in my productivity as you'd expect. Today has been a day where I'm mostly only getting orders that won't completely for another 5 days or so, and maybe won't complete at all. That means no matter how fast I work them, it won't be fast enough, my productivity will look terrible because of all the orders that don't count but still add to my work time. Observe:

kGsH5fa.png

See the task that took me 3:10:59? On the top row, the one where my productivity is counted, it says I only worked 4 orders in that time. No bueno, I'll never get 100% on that one unless I start getting some cancel orders. On the lower set of numbers you can see that the actual amount of orders I worked is 12. So unless I'm magically able to do orders 3 times as fast as normal, it's gonna continue to suck. Hell, getting an order and working it 3 times as fast as normal doesn't even always help: If that order is a "won't complete until later" order, it just adds to my time but doesn't count as an order worked, so my productivity goes down. Gotta love this company. I can't wait to get out in the field and get away from WFM.

I don't understand how these calculations work and it's pissing me right the fuck off

Yo they don't work, that's the issue.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    You know how some people fuss at you, and some people fuss too you?

Just had a customer fuss to me about a security measure we have in place.

Ended up being my new favorite customer. She was spunky.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Today is a bad RNG day for my productivity metrics. See, lately (as in all this year) I've been getting a lot of easy-cancel orders. Those are fast to do and show up in productivity immediately. So if I work 12 orders of that type, 12 orders appear in my productivity as you'd expect. Today has been a day where I'm mostly only getting orders that won't completely for another 5 days or so, and maybe won't complete at all. That means no matter how fast I work them, it won't be fast enough, my productivity will look terrible because of all the orders that don't count but still add to my work time. Observe:

kGsH5fa.png

See the task that took me 3:10:59? On the top row, the one where my productivity is counted, it says I only worked 4 orders in that time. No bueno, I'll never get 100% on that one unless I start getting some cancel orders. On the lower set of numbers you can see that the actual amount of orders I worked is 12. So unless I'm magically able to do orders 3 times as fast as normal, it's gonna continue to suck. Hell, getting an order and working it 3 times as fast as normal doesn't even always help: If that order is a "won't complete until later" order, it just adds to my time but doesn't count as an order worked, so my productivity goes down. Gotta love this company. I can't wait to get out in the field and get away from WFM.

I don't understand how these calculations work and it's pissing me right the fuck off

Performance metrics aren't designed to make sense or actually measure performance. They are the modern whip, lashed at you again and again to make you work harder towards an unacheivable goal. And if by some measure you manage to start meeting or getting close to the metric goals, the goals are raised. Shit most days at my shop we fail metrics but beat sales projections even when understaffed.

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »

kGsH5fa.png

Performance metrics aren't designed to make sense or actually measure performance. They are the modern whip, lashed at you again and again to make you work harder towards an unacheivable goal. And if by some measure you manage to start meeting or getting close to the metric goals, the goals are raised. Shit most days at my shop we fail metrics but beat sales projections even when understaffed.

There's also ethical and reasonable ways to use metrics... sort of like these.

They should be sensible and easy to interpret, though, that's what makes them effective at driving behavior.

But yeah this is how Wells Fargo ended up committing ultrafraud, basically

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    The metrics we had when we were with Verizon were very easy to understand, and weren't difficult at all to hit (for our team, anyway). They were actually designed to track what we do. The downside was that just by using WFM, we were slowing ourselves down by a lot: It was impossible to track more than three orders at a time, when before that we could be working on 5 or 10 at once (waiting for four orders to flow in the system while doing work on a fifth, or reflowing 100 orders at a time, stuff like that). With my current company WFM is even worse. It's impossible to do more than one order at a time, and the metrics make no sense. I am able to get my productivity usually, possibly because it's within my nature, when given a number to "beat", that I will figure out a way to beat it. But it does depend a lot on RNG, and today RNGesus was not with me. I still got close to 100%, though.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

kGsH5fa.png

They should be sensible and easy to interpret, though, that's what makes them effective at driving behavior.

Well, there was probably more than just metrics involved I think? Those kinds of situations seem like they require at least tacit approval of management if not active encouragement / seeding the idea.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I worked from 7:20 a.m. to 9:20 p.m. today, between me two jobs but they were each situated right next to each other in time & location.

And three hours of that was my inspecting, organizing and counting our several years-old plastic Easter egg shells, as we re-use them for our annual Easter Egg Hunt events. So in my supervisor's office were three black garbage bags full of really old plastic egg shells. The bags were also full of grass, year-old candy and likely mice droppings; suffice to say they smelt horrid. I did one bag yesterday and the other two tonight.

1500 plastic Easter eggs were collected... By my rough estimation lets say a hundred egg shells from each bag were beyond satisfaction so I threw them away, so probably around 1800 shells all told.

SO MANY PLASTIC EASTER EGG SHELLS.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

kGsH5fa.png

Well, there was probably more than just metrics involved I think? Those kinds of situations seem like they require at least tacit approval of management if not active encouragement / seeding the idea.

I don't doubt middle management did it, but the possibility is entirely there that upper management just made a demand and there was a gap in the chain between "we want X done" and "we know that Y is being done to get X."

If management is convinced something can be done, they're probably less likely to suspect data doctoring than if they're unsure their demands can be feasibly met.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Beasteh wrote: »
    Long term assignment

Central city core

But will involve throwing homeless people out or subduing them until police arrive.

However I still have no weekends.

okay,

what the fuck

Think of a place that would attract homeless for good reason, for their benefit, and could escalate into me running diplomacy checks, strength checks, agility checks, and a whole lot of luck checks.

Wear something with thick sleeves or some sort of forearm guard, they will bite.

Fuck, you're right.

I mapped out where i work and I am disappointed I cannot share the massive penis joke with you people.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Long term assignment

Central city core

But will involve throwing homeless people out or subduing them until police arrive.

okay,

what the fuck

Think of a place that would attract homeless for good reason, for their benefit, and could escalate into me running diplomacy checks, strength checks, agility checks, and a whole lot of luck checks.

Wear something with thick sleeves or some sort of forearm guard, they will bite.

Fuck, you're right.

I mapped out where i work and I am disappointed I cannot share the massive penis joke with you people.

Never joke about massive penises (penii?), big dongs are serious business. Especially if they're an odd shape or a strange colour.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Long term assignment

Central city core

okay,

what the fuck

Fuck, you're right.

Never joke about massive penises (penii?), big dongs are serious business. Especially if they're an odd shape or a strange colour.

Well, this one is orange, limited options, quality over quantity.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Supervisor pulls me into the office a couple hours after the shift, shoos away his hangers-on, and lets me know of a job that opened up. Well, less opened up and more created for me.

I was offered the job of full time third shift forklift driver, which is something we've never had before. Usually senior operators and leads in departments that need to use a forklift have to do the jobs, but with our increasingly higher production demands those leads are being stretched very very thin. Management finally caved and are creating the position, and was told to offer it to me. Second shift is not getting a dedicated driver.

My job'll be to keep the warehouses straight, move finished wire from packing to the warehouse, empty trash and wire hoppers, keep our drawing department loaded up on lubricant, and the forklift stuff I already have to do in my current lead job. In the future I might have to unload trucks that come in with drop offs, but that's up in the air.

Same pay as well, and my base pay will be increased to make up for my lead pay going away - this is already in writing. It's going to be much less stressful, my responsibilities will be ratcheted down, and the amount of overtime I'm going to be having to pull is going to be lowered. I'm also fairly sure that I'm being groomed to be moved to first shift before too long, as the job's creation is mostly due to the first shift production supervisor, who's wanted me on first for ages, but hasn't been able to find a way yet.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    i want to awesome, but given your stories, i feel like there's a catch somewhere

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    pooka wrote: »
    i want to awesome, but given your stories, i feel like there's a catch somewhere

Catch is that he still has to work at that plant.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular

Well, aside from the obvious, I'm not seeing much of a catch. Most of what I've mentioned above is in writing on the very clear job responsibilities papers I had to sign (that I also made copies of). I might have to help out other departments once in a while, but any assistance is to be kept "to a minimum." I'm even getting a brand new forklift come summer, since our new maintenance supervisor/safety manager isn't fooling around with fucked up equipment anymore.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Peccavi wrote: »
    Ugggggggh, someone reheated fish in the kitchen

One of the techs I've been supervising this week has been bringing boiled eggs with them every single day, to eat in the extremely confined ship space we're working in. It is the worst.
    Also they're not very good at their job and they haven't been trying particularly hard to get better, so extra negative points. Thank goodness this is the last day on this ship.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    D
    korodullin wrote: »

Well, aside from the obvious, I'm not seeing much of a catch. Most of what I've mentioned above is in writing on the very clear job responsibilities papers I had to sign (that I also made copies of). I might have to help out other departments once in a while, but any assistance is to be kept "to a minimum." I'm even getting a brand new forklift come summer, since our new maintenance supervisor/safety manager isn't fooling around with fucked up equipment anymore.

Downside: the forkift is actually just made out of forks and ducttape.

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    D

And it hungers for blood.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Decomposey wrote: »
    Enc wrote: »
    D

And it hungers for blood.

https://youtu.be/o1BAiJIaezc

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Internet is driving me bonkers today. Had arranged a Skype chat with a guy who wants to work with us on one of our projects, but Skype refuses to sign in. I sat watching the little circle spin for 15 minutes before getting an error message which told me there was a problem with my account and I had to log in through a browser to fix it. Which also wouldn't load. Tried Facebook because he has said that was another option and it won't load either. I suggested whatsapp but apparently his phone is broken.

This site loads, but the two options for trying to talk to this guy are totally fucked. It is so aggravating. So now we've had to postpone again (I missed our first appointment because of being sick) and hope the internet is feeling like less of a dick tomorrow.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Kadith wrote: »
    Liiya wrote: »
    So as our office manager has been off for two/three weeks on compassionate leave, I have become the stand in receptionist. Aka going "oh I'm sorry, they're just about to go into a meeting, may I take a message?" when the bosses don't want to talk to people on the phone.

My landarch boss overheard me today and went "You're really good at that"
    Me: "What...? Oh... Lying to people?"
    Her: "Yep!"

Skillz.

It surprising how hard it is to get people to be good gate keepers.

aka liars.

I've always taken the approach that lying is a sign of bad decisions or management. People always find out about the lie.

Be truthful, but, sugar it up a bit.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    So I had to go in this morning to actually discuss my layoff with HR and sign some paperwork. I've left this company several times since 2001 and went back for various reasons. I managed to get a few weeks of pay for every year going back to my original hire date way back then in a lump sum, my insurance is covered for 6 months, and I'll get my unemployment. So I'm basically getting a years worth pay based and free insurance for half that time.

This hurts so much less. Like Holy shit my stress levels dropped so fast I was actually fucking giddy with excitement while these people were putting on their best long sad faces.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular

The forklift has no repair or maintenance budget, you are the new forklift.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Job fun:
    • When I started at my workplace in [department A], we were on flexitime contracts because of what that work entailed.
    • When they made that department redundant and moved me to [department B] I stayed on flexitime though its not quite as needed, and used it quite often as I need to talk to people in differing time zones and stay late working with developers in other locations, and I don't get overtime.
    • So people in the office I share (not in [ B ] as I'm the only one at this site) have noticed that I can come in late on occasion and complained that they'd like flexitime as well (despite it making less sense for their operations focused roles).
    • Management in its infinite wisdom has decided to deal with these complaints by removing my flexitime (B's on other sites still get it).
    • They still expect me to work late when clients need it, and be in at 9 the next day.
    • >:|

Dis' on
  • Options
    Dis' wrote: »
    Job fun:
    • When I started at my workplace in [department A], we were on flexitime contracts because of what that work entailed.
    • When they made that department redundant and moved me to [department B] I stayed on flexitime though its not quite as needed, and used it quite often as I need to talk to people in differing time zones and stay late working with developers in other locations, and I don't get overtime.
    • So people in the office I share (not in [ B ] as I'm the only one at this site) have noticed that I can come in late on occasion and complained that they'd like flexitime as well (despite it making less sense for their operations focused roles).
    • Management in its infinite wisdom has decided to deal with these complaints by removing my flexitime (B's on other sites still get it).
    • They still expect me to work late when clients need it, and be in at 9 the next day.

So did you ask them if you get overtime now? Or are you salaried?

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Job fun:

Salaried so no OT (one of the reasons they gave these departments flexitime in the first place).

They explicitly said 'if the project requires you to do more you do more'. It must be fun to be a manager in a place where the economy is circling the drain.

Dis' on
  • Options
    "Sorry no"

It's fun doing that. They don't know how to react if you're business critical and it means they'll have to be the one staying late.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    It is a huge danger sign that they apparently give no fucks about you or fairness in the way they treat you. Depending on leverage it is either a sign to look to leave or to start a conversation with your manager.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    "Sorry no"

It's fun doing that. They don't know how to react if you're business critical and it means they'll have to be the one staying late.

Most of us would get fired if we tried that though.

• Options
    bowen wrote: »
    "Sorry no"

Most of us would get fired if we tried that though.

Yeah that's why I went with business critical. Most people can't. But those who can it's hilarious watching them rationalize what just happened. It's like being your own union.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Fuck this is going to be a long Friday. It's going to be slow but 50% of the office took the day off.

• Options
    Job fun:

Salaried so no OT (one of the reasons they gave these departments flexitime in the first place).

They explicitly said 'if the project requires you to do more you do more'. It must be fun to be a manager in a place where the economy is circling the drain.

Oh, well in that case every time you have to stay late, proclaim so loudly to the office, with profanity, and then make sure everyone knows that you have to be in at the same time, and it sucks, and it's all their fault. Guilt trip them constantly. Even if they have no souls and don't feel guilt, they'll at least get really annoyed by it and have no justification to stop you.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Yeah I'd be coming in the next morning looking rough as hell, and when anybody asks "Oh, well, see, I had to work late, and usually that would mean I'd be allowed to come in late to make up for it. But apparently there were complaints *glares around entire work area* that I was getting to come in late for no apparent reason *second glare* So now you're all stuck with me on short sleep. *slam pint-size bottle of 5-hour-energy*

e: rather, back when I was a contractor I'd have done that. Then again, when I was a contractor it was straight hourly so it didn't actually work that way to begin with.

It's funny how amazingly little I care about working "off the clock" now that I'm salary and there isn't even a clock to speak of. I'm just like "yeah that's cool" because in the almost 2 months I've been here it's been less than an hour total, and factoring time off I needed, I actually still technically "owe" time (nobody's counting except me).

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Spring Break Librarian Update:

Everyone in my family is sick. Also I have a grad class from 5-9pm tonight.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Job fun:

Oh, well in that case every time you have to stay late, proclaim so loudly to the office, with profanity, and then make sure everyone knows that you have to be in at the same time, and it sucks, and it's all their fault. Guilt trip them constantly. Even if they have no souls and don't feel guilt, they'll at least get really annoyed by it and have no justification to stop you.

don't do that

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    So, I was just confronted at the water cooler by one of the history teachers here at the middle school I sub for most. He has expressed to me in the past that he is fed up with teaching and wants out.

WELL.... Apparently last week when I subbed for another teacher for three days the students I had went to his class and told him he should quit and/or be fired so I can take his job.

And he wasn't too pleased by that.

That conversation was so god-damn awkward I may have moonwalked out of it like Nick Miller.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    How bad is this guy that the students think Jimmy Dean is preferable?

Shit.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I don't mind staying late but I am moderately annoyed that the departmental culture is such that you can't ever say you're done with critical items for the day and would like to leave early.

I get that we have long term stuff we could work on, but that doesn't make it fun to be in the typical "salaried so you work harder for less" situation. They are good about time off for appointments at least.

I ate an engineer
This discussion has been closed.