As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

LIVE. WORK. REPEAT.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I would very much like to do some non-degree study prior to applying to postgrad, but finding something appropriate is proving tricky. I ideally need something I can do distance (as I'm still in South Africa), but is accredited and relevant. Ho hum I'll keep looking.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    I would very much like to do some non-degree study prior to applying to postgrad, but finding something appropriate is proving tricky. I ideally need something I can do distance (as I'm still in South Africa), but is accredited and relevant. Ho hum I'll keep looking.

What field?

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    No disrespect to DW , who is objectively a better human than I.

Hard disagree.

I left bartending/waiting because I couldn't deal with customers face-to-face anymore; I wanted a prep cook's position at my current location but line cook was the only thing being offered. Right now, it's fast-paced, all-guts, no-quit, high-speed, low-drag and I work with an exceptional team who back each other up in ways Pappadeux's never did, at least not the location I worked at in Houston.

I'm conflicted because the team makes things happen despite all the setbacks and difficulties; I haven't been a part of a team like this in a good, long while, and certainly not as a cook. And yet ... there's some sloppiness and general fuck-it-all that doesn't square with me working in this kitchen professionally.

I dunno.

I feel like a failure sometimes because my pride and the heart I wear on my sleeve have made me bail on gigs because I'm not patient enough for the long haul, I'm used to walking into a situation that's less-than-optimal and turning it around to something stronger and more squared away within weeks or even days. Lead By Example and all that jazz.

If that weren't enough, I've been burned by mangers and supervisors so many times that I can't even count them easily, so much so that it fed into my resolution to never go back into the front-of-house operations ever again.

I also get bored; if I feel like I'm not being challenged or motivated or even acknowledged, my inborn wanderlust starts pushing me out the door before I'm even aware of it.

In summation, I'm not better than anyone, even objectively; I'm in my own head too much, I'm too damned stubborn, and I'm starting to feel a tremendous amount of regret for the times I stood my ground when it would have been more "diplomatic" to keep my peace and go about my day.

p.s.

Yes, cooking as a hobby or pastime is enjoyable; cooking as a job will definitely kill your desire to try new stuff.

You're excellent people, DW, and I hope some day i get the chance to buy you a really nice drink.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Having met @Darth Waiter on two separate occasions I can tell you he is the most excellent garbage person.

He felt like a dude I could always talk to about all of my mistakes/regrets.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Since I know some folks here have worn many hats over the years - pardon me for cross-posting this from the Help Forum - but does anyone have a way to reach Gamestop corporate either by phone or email? I have an order from the website that's been messed up and my 4 attempts with the Contact us form have gotten me nowhere.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Also it seems like you get shit on until the point where you own your own restaurant.

This is a massive issue in the industry, the normalization of abuse. It's one of the reasons I despise Gordon Ramsey.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    Since I know some folks here have worn many hats over the years - pardon me for cross-posting this from the Help Forum - but does anyone have a way to reach Gamestop corporate either by phone or email? I have an order from the website that's been messed up and my 4 attempts with the Contact us form have gotten me nowhere.

I found the number for their PR guy.

817-424-2000

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

FWIW, I;m not exactly a stellar pick-up in terms of my personal history and nevertheless got into a certificate-level GIS program a few years ago at the end of which the program's head asked me pretty bluntly if I wanted to stay around and get a MA or not.

I couldn't, because I'm fairly sure I'd have starved to death due to other circumstances, but it's very doable to sneak in the back door if you get acquainted with the right people.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Thanks - it feels stupid harassing them over a tiny number of old DS puzzle games, but it's just pissing me off at this point.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    Man, I was doing real well about not being anxious about job hunting for a bit, but then the Project Manager asked me point blank "what are you going to do" while driving me to the metro and reminded me that the boss is totally unreliable on how long I'll be employed for if we don't land more contracts and asked what I'll do if the job vapourizes and whooooooops there's that feeling of my heart sinking into my stomach time to throw myself into drinking beer and playing Zelda and not thinking for a while

In a totally positive and supportive way, I feel like you should be applying to like 10 jobs a day right now, even if it cuts into Zelda time. You post multiple times a day about how shit your current job is. That really sucks! Start spending all your spare time applying, or doing additional training/certifying.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    No disrespect to DW , who is objectively a better human than I.

Really, who isn't DW a better person than?

• Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular

Athabasca University (up here in Canada) is a legit, accredited school with a wide range of correspondence programming. I don't know if it being Canadian will have any impact (with respect to required accreditation, etc.) nor if there is anything actually relevant that they offer, but you should look into them. They're legit.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I wonder if anyone would notice if I watched college basketball on my phone all day instead of doing work.

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Amount of productive IT work I have done so far today: 0

Amount of LEGO Robutts I have built: 2

How disappointed I am they did not bring back all the kits so I could build a giant transformer: 110%

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Having met @Darth Waiter on two separate occasions I can tell you he is the most excellent garbage person.

He felt like a dude I could always talk to about all of my mistakes/regrets.

In fairness to the rest of the world, I tell those things to pretty much anyone who will listen to me say words.

sarukun on
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Call in an hour with a director of corporate comms at a company I'm pretty familiar with. I think I could have the job if I wanted to move to Dallas (I kinda don't want to, but I want to talk to the guy about it and maybe talk him into it being remote?)

Meeting tomorrow with a company I've interviewed with long ago and whose CEO I do not at all get along with. But I have two friends there and it's a life ring.

Call next week with a company who asked me for a 30 minute phone screen 20 minutes after I applied and who are looking more and more awesome.

Lemur me, please.

And then burn whatever you want at whatever alters you feel are appropriate.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Ugggggggh, someone reheated fish in the kitchen

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    9b979fc4d82f10e90790a5c47f52c661.jpg

For a moment I thought we were burning The Hangman in effigy.

• Options
    Peccavi wrote: »
    Ugggggggh, someone reheated fish in the kitchen

perfect, a sacrifice for the altar

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Yay got an interview for a role that I really want and think I would be good at.

Also we use a ticketing system at work in case we need to pull up any details from a call or an email request, and we're quickly coming up on ticket # 4206969 and I want it so bad you guys

• Options
    Javen wrote: »
    Yay got an interview for a role that I really want and think I would be good at.

Also we use a ticketing system at work in case we need to pull up any details from a call or an email request, and we're quickly coming up on ticket # 4206969 and I want it so bad you guys

Nice

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    RobonunRobonun It's all fun and games until someone pisses off China Registered User regular
    I feel as if one of you here is responsible for this bit of hilarity.

Door-Prop.jpg

• Options
    What's the fine print on that sign?

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    LaOs wrote: »
    What's the fine print on that sign?

Do not prop this door open.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I think they mean the much smaller unreadable text below that

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular

Baaaabaaaa dook dook dook....

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Last week I posted on Facebook about applying internally for the field tech position. Some folks might not find this advisable since my supervisor and co-workers can see it, but I haven't kept it a secret that I've been applying internally at our company since they've made it pretty clear that they don't find our current position to be valuable. I told my supervisor straight up that it was something I was doing, and that I had done the same at our previous company. She seemed pretty OK with it, she's a good supervisor.

Anyway, the cool thing that happened today was that a trainer, the very trainer who initially trained me 10 years ago for tech support calls, came by my cube and let me know that he had seen my Facebook post and that he is the trainer for the field techs, though he doesn't do the pole climbing (they'll bring someone else in for that if we're trained on it at all). He said he doesn't keep an eye on the job board so he didn't even know about the field tech jobs until my post, but that he'll let me know if he hears anything. He estimated that training for that position would probably start around the end of April.

He did let me know that the city I'm applying for does have some fiber on poles so that makes it more certain that I will get the pole climbing training and test. He also pointed out that if you can get certified for pole climbing that's a good thing since it makes you more valuable. I agree and I actually do want to learn how... I just hope that my fear doesn't win out when it comes down to it.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Javen wrote: »
    I think they mean the much smaller unreadable text below that

Yeah, the fine print, not the large print.

• Options
    RobonunRobonun It's all fun and games until someone pisses off China Registered User regular
    "Unless It's A Real Prop Off A Real Plane."
    ...is what I would put on a sign like that. My CSI Zoom-Enhance button is broken.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Job interview with the city went well, found out that by part time they mean 38 hours a week exactly and no benefits, but a decent payrate and weekends + every other Friday off and valuable job experience so it could be a lot, lot worse. The position might open to full time if their budget allows in the semi-near future. They seemed pretty enthusiastic about me and the main interviewer started to think of other open roles that they could fit me into as well, so it was a good interview all around. Hopefully I'll get a job offer either tonight or tomorrow!

Plus, with that schedule, I'd still be able to drive for Lyft during the hottest hours on the weekends/evenings and make extra cash.

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    i am looking really hard at packing this job in and looking for childcare qualifications since 1) i love kids and 2) i am stressed out of the ass with shitty customers and it's never going to change, or get easier

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Man, I was doing real well about not being anxious about job hunting for a bit, but then the Project Manager asked me point blank "what are you going to do" while driving me to the metro and reminded me that the boss is totally unreliable on how long I'll be employed for if we don't land more contracts and asked what I'll do if the job vapourizes and whooooooops there's that feeling of my heart sinking into my stomach time to throw myself into drinking beer and playing Zelda and not thinking for a while

In a totally positive and supportive way, I feel like you should be applying to like 10 jobs a day right now, even if it cuts into Zelda time. You post multiple times a day about how shit your current job is. That really sucks! Start spending all your spare time applying, or doing additional training/certifying.

I've essentially applied to every company I could find in my industry in four separate cities over two months; I narrowed my search back down to two cities because I don't think I'd have been happy in the others and would have just moved out of desperation. I've been watching Indeed and LinkedIn daily.

Problem is I've become pretty specialized. I don't really know what certifications would be valuable beyond a Masters degree, and I haven't hit that point of desperation yet.

Believe me, it's not for lack of trying. I had to scale back the amount of time I spent applying for work because it was really messing with my mental health.

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular

Is this a real thing? Can this be a real thing?!

..or a nice print, I suppose.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Last week I posted on Facebook about applying internally for the field tech position. Some folks might not find this advisable since my supervisor and co-workers can see it, but I haven't kept it a secret that I've been applying internally at our company since they've made it pretty clear that they don't find our current position to be valuable. I told my supervisor straight up that it was something I was doing, and that I had done the same at our previous company. She seemed pretty OK with it, she's a good supervisor.

Anyway, the cool thing that happened today was that a trainer, the very trainer who initially trained me 10 years ago for tech support calls, came by my cube and let me know that he had seen my Facebook post and that he is the trainer for the field techs, though he doesn't do the pole climbing (they'll bring someone else in for that if we're trained on it at all). He said he doesn't keep an eye on the job board so he didn't even know about the field tech jobs until my post, but that he'll let me know if he hears anything. He estimated that training for that position would probably start around the end of April.

He did let me know that the city I'm applying for does have some fiber on poles so that makes it more certain that I will get the pole climbing training and test. He also pointed out that if you can get certified for pole climbing that's a good thing since it makes you more valuable. I agree and I actually do want to learn how... I just hope that my fear doesn't win out when it comes down to it.

I just want "pole climber" on my resume. Rather than just my okcupid.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

I've essentially applied to every company I could find in my industry in four separate cities over two months; I narrowed my search back down to two cities because I don't think I'd have been happy in the others and would have just moved out of desperation. I've been watching Indeed and LinkedIn daily.

Problem is I've become pretty specialized. I don't really know what certifications would be valuable beyond a Masters degree, and I haven't hit that point of desperation yet.

Believe me, it's not for lack of trying. I had to scale back the amount of time I spent applying for work because it was really messing with my mental health.

Do the blue-chip defense contractors not have any work for non-citizens? Those're such huge countries I assumed they had to have something for immigrants.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2017
    DrZiplock wrote: »

Is this a real thing? Can this be a real thing?!

..or a nice print, I suppose.

apparently it used to be a threadless T
    now, sadly, lost to the ages

tynic on
  • Options
    ThroThro pgroome@penny-arcade.com Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »

So I used to do Cat-5 runs and mini dish roof installations and the like a long time ago. I started out really not liking heights, but actually managed to get over it over time. Same with being uncomfortable in crawlspaces lessening over time too, now that I think about it. I just, kind of got used to it, and it bothered me less each time. Didn't have to do much pole work though, since technically we weren't supposed to be going up them at all. . .

I think unless it is a debilitating fear it is something you can adapt to. So if that's the only issue you have with the pole work, you can make it work.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    If it wasn't for this job I'd seriously consider going to a nearby tech school to learn more advanced welding techniques.

Cause man, I super dig that kind of work.

Talking about it yesterday made me wanna do it some more.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Also I am really excited at the prospect of having a job literally 3 minutes drive from my house. I could buy a bike and bike it easily.

This discussion has been closed.