As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

LIVE. WORK. REPEAT.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    sarukun wrote: »
    No disrespect to DW , who is objectively a better human than I.

Really, who isn't DW a better person than?

You're trying to make me blush.

T'won't work.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    sarukun wrote: »
    No disrespect to DW , who is objectively a better human than I.

Really, who isn't DW a better person than?

You're trying to make me blush.

T'won't work.

And handsome and virile too!

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Cello wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Man, I was doing real well about not being anxious about job hunting for a bit, but then the Project Manager asked me point blank "what are you going to do" while driving me to the metro and reminded me that the boss is totally unreliable on how long I'll be employed for if we don't land more contracts and asked what I'll do if the job vapourizes and whooooooops there's that feeling of my heart sinking into my stomach time to throw myself into drinking beer and playing Zelda and not thinking for a while

In a totally positive and supportive way, I feel like you should be applying to like 10 jobs a day right now, even if it cuts into Zelda time. You post multiple times a day about how shit your current job is. That really sucks! Start spending all your spare time applying, or doing additional training/certifying.

I've essentially applied to every company I could find in my industry in four separate cities over two months; I narrowed my search back down to two cities because I don't think I'd have been happy in the others and would have just moved out of desperation. I've been watching Indeed and LinkedIn daily.

Problem is I've become pretty specialized. I don't really know what certifications would be valuable beyond a Masters degree, and I haven't hit that point of desperation yet.

Believe me, it's not for lack of trying. I had to scale back the amount of time I spent applying for work because it was really messing with my mental health.

Do the blue-chip defense contractors not have any work for non-citizens? Those're such huge countries I assumed they had to have something for immigrants.

Not really.

It's much easier to get a citizen through the clearance process and the defense companies can usually fill their jobs without too much trouble.

Like anything there are exceptions (usually PhDs for stuff they just can't find), but it isn't super common.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Thro wrote: »
    Cambiata wrote: »

He did let me know that the city I'm applying for does have some fiber on poles so that makes it more certain that I will get the pole climbing training and test. He also pointed out that if you can get certified for pole climbing that's a good thing since it makes you more valuable. I agree and I actually do want to learn how... I just hope that my fear doesn't win out when it comes down to it.

So I used to do Cat-5 runs and mini dish roof installations and the like a long time ago. I started out really not liking heights, but actually managed to get over it over time. Same with being uncomfortable in crawlspaces lessening over time too, now that I think about it. I just, kind of got used to it, and it bothered me less each time. Didn't have to do much pole work though, since technically we weren't supposed to be going up them at all. . .

I think unless it is a debilitating fear it is something you can adapt to. So if that's the only issue you have with the pole work, you can make it work.

I don't feel like I have a debilitating fear of heights. My main deals with pole climbing is: 1) The training is like 2 weeks, which feels a pretty short time to get used to it. 2 weeks after your first time on the pole, you have to climb to a height of 20 ft 2) Once you climb high enough, the pole will be swaying in the wind (these are practice poles, not tethered to anything). The swaying could really get me.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

He did let me know that the city I'm applying for does have some fiber on poles so that makes it more certain that I will get the pole climbing training and test. He also pointed out that if you can get certified for pole climbing that's a good thing since it makes you more valuable. I agree and I actually do want to learn how... I just hope that my fear doesn't win out when it comes down to it.

So I used to do Cat-5 runs and mini dish roof installations and the like a long time ago. I started out really not liking heights, but actually managed to get over it over time. Same with being uncomfortable in crawlspaces lessening over time too, now that I think about it. I just, kind of got used to it, and it bothered me less each time. Didn't have to do much pole work though, since technically we weren't supposed to be going up them at all. . .

I think unless it is a debilitating fear it is something you can adapt to. So if that's the only issue you have with the pole work, you can make it work.

I don't feel like I have a debilitating fear of heights. My main deals with pole climbing is: 1) The training is like 2 weeks, which feels a pretty short time to get used to it. 2 weeks after your first time on the pole, you have to climb to a height of 20 ft 2) Once you climb high enough, the pole will be swaying in the wind (these are practice poles, not tethered to anything). The swaying could really get me.

Go rock climbing indoors. Fall in the harness a few times. You get a lot more comfortable with heights when you're confident in your safety equipment (I got to the point in my construction harness that I'd jump off occasionally to freak out my foreman).

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    If it wasn't for this job I'd seriously consider going to a nearby tech school to learn more advanced welding techniques.

Cause man, I super dig that kind of work.

Talking about it yesterday made me wanna do it some more.

They should run weekend courses, can you make time for that?

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    So as our office manager has been off for two/three weeks on compassionate leave, I have become the stand in receptionist. Aka going "oh I'm sorry, they're just about to go into a meeting, may I take a message?" when the bosses don't want to talk to people on the phone.

My landarch boss overheard me today and went "You're really good at that"
    Me: "What...? Oh... Lying to people?"
    Her: "Yep!"

Skillz.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    If it wasn't for this job I'd seriously consider going to a nearby tech school to learn more advanced welding techniques.

Cause man, I super dig that kind of work.

Talking about it yesterday made me wanna do it some more.

They should run weekend courses, can you make time for that?

If it wasn't for a job I'm going to move cross-country for that is. I should've done it last fall cause but I was lazy and burnt out on school too much to force myself into it.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    So as our office manager has been off for two/three weeks on compassionate leave, I have become the stand in receptionist. Aka going "oh I'm sorry, they're just about to go into a meeting, may I take a message?" when the bosses don't want to talk to people on the phone.

Skillz.

"Weird, to be honest, I've never really done it before. I'm usually very truthful."

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

Skillz.

"Weird, to be honest, I've never really done it before. I'm usually very truthful."

m
    e
    t
    a

Also I didn't get gastroenteritis from my coworker so hoorah. Always nice to know I'm safe from exploding at both ends.

• Options

Skillz.

m
    e
    t
    a

Also I didn't get gastroenteritis from my coworker so hoorah. Always nice to know I'm safe from exploding at both ends.

Well, don't be too hasty here. You're safe from exploding at both ends for this particular reason. Never count out spontaneous explosions altogether.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Man, I was doing real well about not being anxious about job hunting for a bit, but then the Project Manager asked me point blank "what are you going to do" while driving me to the metro and reminded me that the boss is totally unreliable on how long I'll be employed for if we don't land more contracts and asked what I'll do if the job vapourizes and whooooooops there's that feeling of my heart sinking into my stomach time to throw myself into drinking beer and playing Zelda and not thinking for a while

In a totally positive and supportive way, I feel like you should be applying to like 10 jobs a day right now, even if it cuts into Zelda time. You post multiple times a day about how shit your current job is. That really sucks! Start spending all your spare time applying, or doing additional training/certifying.

I've essentially applied to every company I could find in my industry in four separate cities over two months; I narrowed my search back down to two cities because I don't think I'd have been happy in the others and would have just moved out of desperation. I've been watching Indeed and LinkedIn daily.

Problem is I've become pretty specialized. I don't really know what certifications would be valuable beyond a Masters degree, and I haven't hit that point of desperation yet.

Believe me, it's not for lack of trying. I had to scale back the amount of time I spent applying for work because it was really messing with my mental health.

Do the blue-chip defense contractors not have any work for non-citizens? Those're such huge countries I assumed they had to have something for immigrants.

Not really.

It's much easier to get a citizen through the clearance process and the defense companies can usually fill their jobs without too much trouble.

Like anything there are exceptions (usually PhDs for stuff they just can't find), but it isn't super common.

I think main exception is to have already worked as part of that sphere. So like someone who is Canadian Defense related and may/may not have worked with DoD would have a load easier time.

There are cases where work can be...segregated and given to non-cleared people.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options

Well, don't be too hasty here. You're safe from exploding at both ends for this particular reason. Never count out spontaneous explosions altogether.

I do admire your optimism!

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017

Skillz.

You could always just say they're "unavailable." That's my usual go to.

Goose! on
  • Options
    Goose! wrote: »

You could always just say they're "unavailable." That's my usual go to.

I do usually.

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular

Skillz.

It surprising how hard it is to get people to be good gate keepers.

aka liars.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options

I do admire your optimism!

Well you always do such a bang up job on projects. Owing, no doubt, to your not infrequent flashes of brilliance, and that fiery spark of determination.

I also hear reports that you're the one to call to come bust some heads.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    (I had a blast writing that)

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Long term assignment

Central city core

But will involve throwing homeless people out or subduing them until police arrive.

However I still have no weekends.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I will always say my supervisor is either unavailable or I'll "check" (put them on hold and turn around to ask if they want to talk to them).

Also while looking up high schools in the area I found an interesting Wiki article about the time the Air Force in the 1950's had one of their drones go rogue here and failed to shoot it down with rockets...that then kind of landed in the city itself. The shining moment was when two utility workers were having lunch in the shade with their truck parked on the other side of the street when suddenly a stray rocket blows the truck to bits. Ooops.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Palmdale

Madican on
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    Long term assignment

Central city core

But will involve throwing homeless people out or subduing them until police arrive.

okay,

what the fuck

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    Long term assignment

Central city core

okay,

what the fuck

I think royce works security?

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Madican wrote: »
    I will always say my supervisor is either unavailable or I'll "check" (put them on hold and turn around to ask if they want to talk to them).

Also while looking up high schools in the area I found an interesting Wiki article about the time the Air Force in the 1950's had one of their drones go rogue here and failed to shoot it down with rockets...that then kind of landed in the city itself. The shining moment was when two utility workers were having lunch in the shade with their truck parked on the other side of the street when suddenly a stray rocket blows the truck to bits. Ooops.

I'm disappointed there isn't a win/lose like there was on the emu war.
    Though holy shit, 1000 acres scorched? Way to go California, always burning all the time for little reason.

Edit:
    "Edna Carlson, who lived in the home on Third Street East, said that a chunk of shrapnel from one Air Force rocket burst through the front window of her home, ricocheted off the ceiling, went through a wall and came to rest in a kitchen cupboard."
    Be a good way to need to change pants real quick.

Radiation on
    PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »

Though holy shit, 1000 acres scorched? Way to go California, always burning all the time for little reason.

Edit:
    "Edna Carlson, who lived in the home on Third Street East, said that a chunk of shrapnel from one Air Force rocket burst through the front window of her home, ricocheted off the ceiling, went through a wall and came to rest in a kitchen cupboard."

The problem was that this occurred during that brief period where the Air Force got the goosey idea that supersonic fighters wouldn't need guns, and integrated fire control was in its infancy. So the fighters had no way to take the drone down except what wound up being dumb rockets.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Apparently upper management was complimentary of my presentation to upper upper upper management, which is good given I had to break bad news.

I really just want to coast tomorrow, that whole thing was both a massive momentum killer on other work and draining.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    Work got hit with layoffs today. Unfortunately I was one the unlucky ones. Unemployment and house husband life for me until I get this figured out. Sucks but such is life.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Waiting for DNS to update sucks.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    schuss wrote: »

Go rock climbing indoors. Fall in the harness a few times. You get a lot more comfortable with heights when you're confident in your safety equipment (I got to the point in my construction harness that I'd jump off occasionally to freak out my foreman).

This is a sensible idea! There's a university near me with a rock climbing wall and it only costs $5 to get in for the day. I'll see if I can give it a try some weekend.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Macro9 wrote: »
    Work got hit with layoffs today. Unfortunately I was one the unlucky ones. Unemployment and house husband life for me until I get this figured out. Sucks but such is life.

We're rooting for you!

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Since I know some folks here have worn many hats over the years - pardon me for cross-posting this from the Help Forum - but does anyone have a way to reach Gamestop corporate either by phone or email? I have an order from the website that's been messed up and my 4 attempts with the Contact us form have gotten me nowhere.

I found the number for their PR guy.

817-424-2000

I also still have the number for the corporate top level fraud guy and an email address for the vice president of the company for...reasons

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »

Edit:

The problem was that this occurred during that brief period where the Air Force got the goosey idea that supersonic fighters wouldn't need guns, and integrated fire control was in its infancy. So the fighters had no way to take the drone down except what wound up being dumb rockets.

At least at this point in time the Antelope Valley was mostly unpopulated. If that sort of incident occurred nowadays there'd be muuuuuch more destruction.

• Options
    Today is a bad RNG day for my productivity metrics. See, lately (as in all this year) I've been getting a lot of easy-cancel orders. Those are fast to do and show up in productivity immediately. So if I work 12 orders of that type, 12 orders appear in my productivity as you'd expect. Today has been a day where I'm mostly only getting orders that won't completely for another 5 days or so, and maybe won't complete at all. That means no matter how fast I work them, it won't be fast enough, my productivity will look terrible because of all the orders that don't count but still add to my work time. Observe:

kGsH5fa.png

See the task that took me 3:10:59? On the top row, the one where my productivity is counted, it says I only worked 4 orders in that time. No bueno, I'll never get 100% on that one unless I start getting some cancel orders. On the lower set of numbers you can see that the actual amount of orders I worked is 12. So unless I'm magically able to do orders 3 times as fast as normal, it's gonna continue to suck. Hell, getting an order and working it 3 times as fast as normal doesn't even always help: If that order is a "won't complete until later" order, it just adds to my time but doesn't count as an order worked, so my productivity goes down. Gotta love this company. I can't wait to get out in the field and get away from WFM.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Goddamn do I hate bullshit metrics.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    We think we're getting metrics at our office.
    Our manager, who is a corporate VP, is giving up her management of our office and it is being taken over by the LAX manager.
    The LAX manager comes from another company, one that was very big on file counts. In LAX, he has instituted a file count requirement of 150/month. When I was in LAX, I probably did 300-400 files per month. But now I am in PDX, and in another aspect of the business, and I have no idea what my file counts are like. Do files I work that are opened by an office in Prague help my counts? I dunno!
    Do files I open but someone else finishes help my count or theirs? I dunno!

We're not there yet, but I strongly suspect I will hate bullshit metrics pretty soon.

I've been thinking more and more about looking for another job, but criminy, I do not want to get back out in that hunt.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Long term assignment

Central city core

okay,

what the fuck

Think of a place that would attract homeless for good reason, for their benefit, and could escalate into me running diplomacy checks, strength checks, agility checks, and a whole lot of luck checks.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Long term assignment

Central city core

okay,

what the fuck

Think of a place that would attract homeless for good reason, for their benefit, and could escalate into me running diplomacy checks, strength checks, agility checks, and a whole lot of luck checks.

Wear something with thick sleeves or some sort of forearm guard, they will bite.

• Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular

We're rooting for you!

Thank you!

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    Today was That Day™ from a bad 90s romcom.

At work I'm blocked on... a lot of things actually.

AWS caught fire at some point so I lost a good bit of work there.

Walking to the train, and a truck drives by and now I'm covered in slush and snow. Cool.

Miss my train.

Get the next one, get home, and the elevator's broken. I'm on the 14th floor.

Fully expecting the water to be off in my apartment or something at this point.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular

Sorry to hear that man, that's really shit

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Today is a bad RNG day for my productivity metrics. See, lately (as in all this year) I've been getting a lot of easy-cancel orders. Those are fast to do and show up in productivity immediately. So if I work 12 orders of that type, 12 orders appear in my productivity as you'd expect. Today has been a day where I'm mostly only getting orders that won't completely for another 5 days or so, and maybe won't complete at all. That means no matter how fast I work them, it won't be fast enough, my productivity will look terrible because of all the orders that don't count but still add to my work time. Observe:

kGsH5fa.png

See the task that took me 3:10:59? On the top row, the one where my productivity is counted, it says I only worked 4 orders in that time. No bueno, I'll never get 100% on that one unless I start getting some cancel orders. On the lower set of numbers you can see that the actual amount of orders I worked is 12. So unless I'm magically able to do orders 3 times as fast as normal, it's gonna continue to suck. Hell, getting an order and working it 3 times as fast as normal doesn't even always help: If that order is a "won't complete until later" order, it just adds to my time but doesn't count as an order worked, so my productivity goes down. Gotta love this company. I can't wait to get out in the field and get away from WFM.

I don't understand how these calculations work and it's pissing me right the fuck off

This discussion has been closed.