As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

LIVE. WORK. REPEAT.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    How exactly do folks practice Norse religion?

I don't mean in any cynical way, I'm just interested. What are their customs/traditions/beliefs?

Based on the Asatru study I did back in religion class for a project in high school, you'd dig it. It seemed to involve dedicating yourself to one of the pantheon but still believing in the whole Yggdrassil thing, multiple layers to the world, spirits in basically everything. And instead of doing ritual sacrifices like in the old days, you can just drink yourself under the table in your deity's honour.

I don't recall many of the specifics beyond that but uh, Jimmy, you oughta look into it.

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Between video games, milk and Norse mythology, white supremacists just seem to be co-opting everything I loved as a child.

And I DO NOT LIKE IT

What is next, what will they take next???

Milk?

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    I BELIEVE IN YOU.

THANK YOU

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

grinding_teeth_dthw9x.jpg

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Between video games, milk and Norse mythology, white supremacists just seem to be co-opting everything I loved as a child.

And I DO NOT LIKE IT

What is next, what will they take next???

Milk?

Already happened.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    How exactly do folks practice Norse religion?

I don't mean in any cynical way, I'm just interested. What are their customs/traditions/beliefs?

No idea. The only part of their religion I've ever partaken in is when a mutual friend passed and they made a funeral boat for him, which we burned.

It was both a fitting tribute and pretty fuckin' metal.

• Options
    PhantPhant Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Apparently I've been doing work the chaplains are supposed to be doing but they tricked me into thinking they were part of my duties. Good to know supposed men of gods (there's Odin worshippers here!) aren't above taking advantage of someone who's new to the position, really shows some great character. On the plus side, I did the work faster than they ever have and to higher standards so there's that.

Hmmm....not to defend them but tricking folks into doing your work for you is actually sort of a Odin thing to do. He's kind of a jerk.

Course, if he's who you worship then you're probably a jerk too.

Nah, the chaplains are mainly Protestant, Jewish, Catholic, and Muslim respectively. They have other religions under them, like Rastafarian and Odinist (among others), but those are minorities compared to the big four.

I'm sort of curious how a practicing Rastafarian squares military service with their faith. Also if they are strict, how much of a pain in the ass accommodating a Ital diet would be.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Phant wrote: »
    Apparently I've been doing work the chaplains are supposed to be doing but they tricked me into thinking they were part of my duties. Good to know supposed men of gods (there's Odin worshippers here!) aren't above taking advantage of someone who's new to the position, really shows some great character. On the plus side, I did the work faster than they ever have and to higher standards so there's that.

Hmmm....not to defend them but tricking folks into doing your work for you is actually sort of a Odin thing to do. He's kind of a jerk.

Nah, the chaplains are mainly Protestant, Jewish, Catholic, and Muslim respectively. They have other religions under them, like Rastafarian and Odinist (among others), but those are minorities compared to the big four.

I'm sort of curious how a practicing Rastafarian squares military service with their faith. Also if they are strict, how much of a pain in the ass accommodating a Ital diet would be.

Pretty sure we're talking a prison chaplain and not a military one.

Hence the thin veneer for racism.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    pooka wrote: »
    an unknown god vs forgotten raises interesting questions.
    Hell just "unknown god" itself does. Like, unknown to man or unknown to even themselves? A god that thinks they're mortal is a fun concept to play with
    not to spoil any number of things, but for those unfamiliar, this is ground well-covered in various mythology, religion, and scif/fantasy. (to include comics and video games.)

Yeah and I'm a sucker for it every time. Like, that's Thor's Marvel origin and it rules.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    My favourite minor religious group are Atheistic Wiccans

People who have read a lot of Neil Gaiman basically

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Alright then, so they're just jerks then.

In other jerk things, work called me at 8 am this morning to tell me that we were shut down for today and not to come in. Anybody care to guess what time my work day starts?
    If you guessed 8, you win!

To be fair, I was in bed with no intention of fucking moving. I later find out that the county where I work still had a state of emergency in effect with a ban on all travel. Way to be on top of things work.

yeah my boss texted me at 7:45 my start time is 8:00, travel time for me is about 20 minutes

good thing I don't get up until 7:55

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    PhantPhant Registered User regular
    Phant wrote: »

Pretty sure we're talking a prison chaplain and not a military one.

Hence the thin veneer for racism.

That would make more sense, my brain did not register that Chaplains like that are also a prison thing.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Wiccans are in here too and so are Druids. Also Neterians, I don't know what they're about. And...Christian Science? Huh.

Hell just "unknown god" itself does. Like, unknown to man or unknown to even themselves? A god that thinks they're mortal is a fun concept to play with

Umm. Quick question, do you read Dresden Files at all? Actually I'm just gonna spoiler this bit.
    The Dresden Files have something called the Invisible War that's never mentioned in any of the books except by reference. The basic gist of it is that there are gods and spirits who are dangerous to humanity's survival and so long as they're remembered they will exist, albeit as mere shadows without true worshippers. The goal of the Invisible War is to purge the memory of these gods and spirits so thoroughly that there is no record of their existence, wiping them out for good. This is accomplished by aid of the Archive, a special entity that knows all written text. The Archive's job is to let the other members of the Invisible War slowly work to reduce the knowledge of the god or spirit over the course of thousands of years until no written record or memory remains. Once that's accomplished, and it's been long enough to confirm no one remembers the god or spirit, she deletes her own memory of the target and they're obliterated from existence for good.

• Options
    Wiccans are in here too and so are Druids. Also Neterians, I don't know what they're about. And...Christian Science? Huh.

Umm. Quick question, do you read Dresden Files at all? Actually I'm just gonna spoiler this bit.
    The Dresden Files have something called the Invisible War that's never mentioned in any of the books except by reference. The basic gist of it is that there are gods and spirits who are dangerous to humanity's survival and so long as they're remembered they will exist, albeit as mere shadows without true worshippers. The goal of the Invisible War is to purge the memory of these gods and spirits so thoroughly that there is no record of their existence, wiping them out for good. This is accomplished by aid of the Archive, a special entity that knows all written text. The Archive's job is to let the other members of the Invisible War slowly work to reduce the knowledge of the god or spirit over the course of thousands of years until no written record or memory remains. Once that's accomplished, and it's been long enough to confirm no one remembers the god or spirit, she deletes her own memory of the target and they're obliterated from existence for good.

I don't and probably never will so I read the spoiler and that's pretty neat.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I just got a call from someone at city hall that is looking to fill a part time position and was forwarded my resume by the local police department, from last year when I got passed over for a job there. I have an interview scheduled for tomorrow!

It might be part time, but it's work and I'll gladly take it if they'll give it to me!

jgeis on
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Fucking doctor bureaucracy is way too fucking much.

Investigator drops off form at old doctor who I haven't seen in over a year. They call and tell me I need to come in and have a check-up. I say: I've switched insurance and have another primary care physician. They won't send the form over so I have to get it myself, but thankfully the investigator stopped by already so they delete it and he drops off the form at my new doctor. They tell him that I need to call them to say it's ok for them to fill out that form because oh hey guess what I signed the release in June of last year when all this originally started. So they go ok, also the doctor is out till Monday so she won't be able to see it until then also since she's also seen you once she may not sign it but once she gets back we'll go from there.

Oh my fucking god why is this so fucking difficult. So now this is getting held up more because of these fucking doctors.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    The field tech position I applied for won't be closed until the 16th, so I won't possibly know anything on it until the 17th. I have a good shot at being called for it as I've been called every other time I've applied for the position, but I'm still in suspense until I actually get called. I hate waiting.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    i really hate my new job and it's stressing me out

i got to leave 50 minutes late today because my last call was some asshole with the perfect gift of failing to comprehend the most basic of explanations as to why he racked up hundreds of pounds worth of service charges for calling sierra leone + senegal 'thinking it was in europe'

i finish work every day with a serious cluster headache and its fucking killing me

next week when i start my 12 hour shifts i'll have the fun task of trying to find my way home at 9pm when i'm dead tired and the next bus isn't for an hour

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Gotta give a presentation to my boss's boss's boss's boss's boss.

Gotta break some Bad News.

Rapturous joy fills every pore of my being. /s

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »

Make sure you insert as many dank memes into your ppt presentation as possible

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    it's snowing just as hard as it was yesterday. we're going to get over 2 feet of snow at this rate, I might not even have to go in tomorrow. which means make up days but I don't even care

• Options
    TheStig wrote: »

Shut up and lose this money!

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    It's cold outside, and yet the air conditioner is on inside the building. Why? Because the air conditioning controls are in another building with corporate. Why in the world would anyone in the actual building, enduring the actual conditions, need to be in control of the thermostat? VPs get controls of thermostats, not whatever they keep in the peon buildings.. Directors, I suppose? Feh!

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular

such news

very bad

wow

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Make the last slide just the drew blinking meme

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I had this idea for a series of grindhouse games where you help/play as spirits and deities whose legacy have been rebranded by assholes that bleed them dry to do terrible things they dislike.

So pagan goddess kept in temple frees a few sacrifices, is powered up by their hope, and massacres her wayward followers to a 70s soundtrack.

Edit: WAYWARD FOLLOWERS, WAYWARD FOLLOWERS. GAHHHH!

COMPLETELY DIFFERENT MEANING

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    Moriveth wrote: »

such news

very bad

wow

Insert Minions everywhere.

Also that one KC Green dog in the middle of the fire.

"This is fine."

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »

such news

very bad

wow

Insert Minions everywhere.

Also that one KC Green dog in the middle of the fire.

"This is fine."

Never talk to me or my under-performing financials ever again.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    Make the last slide just the drew blinking meme

boss: you have to give a presentation
    me: okay fine
    boss: you have to deliver bad news to the head of the company
    [drewblinks.gif]

• Options
    I'm PRETTY SURE his name is Blinking White Guy

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Man, I posted this in the wrong damn thread

Cambiata on
  • Options
    Cambiata wrote: »
    So, Subnormality has an animated web series now? With how wordy it is, I feel it works way better as a show, so you don't have to read tiny text on a screen for four pages.

I just saw this one, which is apparently the fifth episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsoColickWY

A bit rambling, but I liked it.

I'm PRETTY SURE it was called Central Perk.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Would I be associated with White Supremacists if I believed that the Norse gods were actually aliens that came to Earth with superior technology?

What about Stargate aliens rather than Marvel aliens?

• Options
    Peccavi wrote: »
    Would I be associated with White Supremacists if I believed that the Norse gods were actually aliens that came to Earth with superior technology?

It's the symbology that'll get you before anything. If you're repping a shirt featuring Marvel Asgardians you're probably not gonna get a second look, but actual Norse runes might get you unwanted attention from real life skinheads.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Boy oh boy it's another one of those shifts where I walk around the kitchen looking at what I need to do and thinking "I was gone one day, one day", to myself the entire time.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options

It's the symbology that'll get you before anything. If you're repping a shirt featuring Marvel Asgardians you're probably not gonna get a second look, but actual Norse runes might get you unwanted attention from real life skinheads.

Avoid lightning bolt tattoos.

• Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    Phone screen on Friday for a Data Engineer position in Vancouver.

It would be nice to get out of Edmonton.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    My position is exempt from the hiring freeze. (As is the entire fucking organization more or less, surprise surprise).

Oh god that relives a lot of stress about whether or not I have a job. Now I just need the investigation to finish up.

• Options
    Presentation went about as well as it could. There wasn't really any doubt on my analysis beyond "the knock on effects you explicitly said weren't considered would make this worse." A fair bit of anger towards the mistake that led to the issues, though, but I was blameless in that.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017

Avoid lightning bolt tattoos.

And mjolnir pendants.

Not that I learned that one the hard way or anything.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
This discussion has been closed.